Could ETS3 have a map like MS Flight Simulator ?

TheoLG

Just wondering.

MS showed us that it was possible to get data from Bing Maps and send it to an AI, thus making a 2 Terabytes accurate 3D recreation of the entire world.

Would it be feasible for SCS Software to do it in a similar way, but for roads instead ? They would still be able to make DLCs, slowly expanding the game.

I understand the technology isn't ready yet and eventually it will be, but who knows, because ETS3 isn't coming anytime soon, maybe it'll happen ?

What do you think ? Does it makes sense to you, or do you think I'm just too optimistic ?

Hello @TheoLG,

This may be nice, but I think ETS3 won't come out. I think it could happen if ETS2 lost too many players. But not many players lose. They had announced the Euro Coach Simulation at some point, they might have had a chance to take it off.

19 hours ago, TR06ANKA58 said:

They had announced the Euro Coach Simulation at some point, they might have had a chance to take it off.

That's been sat in the low priority list for years, though given all the latest reworks they seem to be adding bits! I'm pretty sure they have had the Scania Touring completed for ages....The new AI models also suggest they may have a MAN Neoplan Tourliner ( the ai model is a fake obviously ). ETS3 won't happen in Pavel's lifetime, he made it clear a while ago his goal is to make ETS2 the best he can over the next 20 years when they were celebrating recently ( he looks around late 40's early 50's ). 

In my opinion the main reason that scs is not attempting to make ets3 is because of licensing. The current licensing is (in theory) valid forever and allows a great range of real life brands and vehicles. If scs updates ets2, they can add new features (eventually updating the core game engine), but without having to renegotiate expensive and time consuming licenses. 

Another reason is cost. Ets2 is fully working and has an active community which supports the release of new features through purchasing DLCs. The cost of developing a new game from the ground up would be astronomical, when they could just add features to and improve ets2.

My theory is confirmed with the release of fmod and ssao. These are fundamental game engine features that shows that scs is focused on improving not only the content but also the game engine itself. 

This decision by scs is also massively beneficial to the consumer. They get continually improved gameplay (including physics, graphics and sound) from a game first released in 2012 with no extra cost to them. Very few other games have had 8 years of full support and game engine improvements. 

I only hope scs continues with this business model as it helps everyone and bolsters the massive online community that ets2 has attracted. 

If you have any questions, comments or concerns please reply to this message without hesitation. 

Regards, 

Quality_Productions 

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

The simple answer is no.

The technology and storage space Microsoft requires to pull their world off in the new MS Flight Simulator is far beyond what SCS Software could hope to afford or manage. Keep in mind, MS Flight Simulator means the player is spending the vast majority of their time in the air, high above the landscape and urban areas. SCS Software would have a significantly harder time because their games are set on the ground, which means the high level of graphical detail also needs to be on the ground, not in the air; this would effectively more than double the amount of computing power and storage space needed. To put it simply, Microsoft can afford to do what they're doing, SCS would not.

There is also the gameplay perspective; having a fully rendered 1:1 ratio world would mean that the time it takes to get from one city to another would be the same as it does in real life. This isn't so bad if, like MS Flight Simulator, you're flying at speeds anywhere between 150 and 700 mph, but doing it at the speed a truck drives would become extremely tedious.

ETS2 is undergoing major updates almost every month. Even though this game is almost a decade old, the biggest changes are occurring since last year. I think it's better to remain on ETS2, and if ETS2 does unfortunately die at some point, i would be interested in ETS3.

Gotta say , game have amazing graphics for a game back from 2012 , like some said , licenses can be very hard to obtain and for that its more easy if they release a ETS2 Reworked from 0 , having same name and project allow them to keep licenses etc , who knows maybe one day as the SCS is only living from ATS and ETS now , but the community are growing up despise the years of ETS , it also theres a big reason why its growing up , the multiplayer , without it the game would already be dead , lets face it , nobody likes to play games SP for long periods without having small snack of multiplayer , we are humans , humans always search for interactions with others.

4 hours ago, McclaudEagle said:

The simple answer is no.

The technology and storage space Microsoft requires to pull their world off in the new MS Flight Simulator is far beyond what SCS Software could hope to afford or manage. Keep in mind, MS Flight Simulator means the player is spending the vast majority of their time in the air, high above the landscape and urban areas. SCS Software would have a significantly harder time because their games are set on the ground, which means the high level of graphical detail also needs to be on the ground, not in the air; this would effectively more than double the amount of computing power and storage space needed. To put it simply, Microsoft can afford to do what they're doing, SCS would not.

There is also the gameplay perspective; having a fully rendered 1:1 ratio world would mean that the time it takes to get from one city to another would be the same as it does in real life. This isn't so bad if, like MS Flight Simulator, you're flying at speeds anywhere between 150 and 700 mph, but doing it at the speed a truck drives would become extremely tedious.

agree with everything you said. but wanna add a scale like 1:4 would be nice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, something like this could poooossibly be done, but even if the map was generated, you'd still need to go through every single thing on it, add collisions and all that other game dev stuff, also with a map that big it would be too hard to check everything for possible glitches, locations where you'd fall through the map...

It would surely take a lot of years if it was possible, and I believe that once people would get a map this large they'd then want something better in the department of managing your company than just buying truck, trailers and putting drivers in them :D

If we're going for this much, prepare for people to ask for even more

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @TheoLG

I would like to inform you that your topic has been inactive for 14 days, so I am closing it and moving it to the Archive to keep threads active for the TruckersMP community.

If you have any questions or want to restore the topic, please contact me.

// Locked and moved to Archive

gyhpuYu.png

Archived