Closure of our Facebook group

Matt

What surprises me most is that the "solution" that has been chosen is more or less a "final solution" and that intermediate steps have not been taken, such as moderator approved posts, restricting the group, ejecting/removing the troublemakers, etc.

I see no answer in the FAQ provided that answers why as a solution all other steps have been skipped... Nevertheless, I understand the reasons even though I disagree with the way this has escalated.

• Like 4

76561198049978689.png

16 minutes ago, BjornTHV said:

What surprises me most is that the "solution" that has been chosen is more or less a "final solution" and that intermediate steps have not been taken, such as moderator approved posts, restricting the group, ejecting/removing the troublemakers, etc.

I see no answer in the FAQ provided that answers why as a solution all other steps have been skipped... Nevertheless, I understand the reasons even though I disagree with the way this has escalated.

Removing troublemakers was definitely something that was going on, so be it as a small level due to the lack of moderation. Facebook moderation is relatively poor on top of the European GDPR law on storing evidence made moderation really difficult. Many attempts at improving the group had be done but it came to very little success. I'm sure no one wants to see a group like this shut down and we have had to consider this wholeheartedly. I understand it's not been seen in the public but we have made many steps internally which unfortunately came to no avail. We will definitely reflect on this situation and look on how we can improve in the future where we can. I appreciate your comments.

yo

I've never been one to follow gaming community social media platforms; in spite of me using my own name as my "gaming alias", I tend to separate my social media accounts from my gaming accounts (with the very niche exception of me linking accounts for login convenience, or simply proving that I have those accounts on a privacy firewall). That said, I understand why people do like to use social media platforms for following news, seeing screenshots or making their own contributions.

Facebook has long been a platform that I have despised because of conduct of the majority of die-hard users, and for a long time the only reason for me having an account at all is to keep in touch with close friends. It's not surprising therefor that trolls find themselves ruling the roost when it comes to raiding pages and derailing the point of their existence.

TruckersMP's community page being shut down is disappointing for us here, but it's just a statistic or what is a rapidly declining social media platform in terms of moderation standards not just internally within a given community, but even by those staffing it as a whole.

To that end, while we will be sad for a while, it's important to keep in mind that we have a plethora of other platforms we can use, from discord that allows a greater API integration than any other social media platform, to the forum here, and most importantly, the game itself, where the heart of the community is.

T'is but a minor bump as we progress folks. TMP is still a fantastic community to be part of. :)

Paddy

Prime Logistics | Former HR & Exam Team

TMP Former Events Team

Understandable to see the group being closed down. I used to frequent the group quite often, however, I could see some quite toxic behaviour when it came to the likes of Pride Month. With that experience, I can completely see why the final decision was to close the group. 

To those who seem disappointed by the decision, I don't understand why the TruckersMP Discord server, or the forums, can't be a better substitute for the Facebook group for you. Both the server and the forums offer you the same services, as far as I'm aware, and seem to be used by more of the TruckersMP players.

The closure of the group, however, really does signify the gradual death of Facebook, as a whole. The network has slowly become less, and less, active over time, and— to me— TruckersMP closing their Facebook group marks the start of other organisations doing the same. I'm not saying they're the first to do it, but they're the first organisation, which is close to me, that has done it— making it more symbolic to me. Personally, I don't mind the demise of Facebook, as I have never particularly liked the social media network. But, to some, this is the end of an era— similar to the death of MySpace and Bebo. 

• True Story 1

ioJopO8.jpg

Thank you, Matt,

I believe it was good decission. As an ex-community moderator I need to say, it was pretty hard to keep it there in right behaviour. Many people didn’t respect rules, still needed to spam there or were toxic. I know many people will not agree with me, but thanks god for this decission :) 

It’s sad to hear that, but it has a right reason ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Considering the moronic and infantile behavior of many ATS players in other ATS FB groups, I'm not surprised at all at the closure.
Moderating an FB group is a thankless job. Admins and Moderators are subject to both typed abuse from members and also have to deal with (literally all day long) excessive page spam from members who think the group is their personal public bulletin board.

This is without a doubt a huge loss and punch in the social media TruckersMP.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:00 PM, Μatt said:

We invite members of the Facebook group to join us on our Discord, Forums and Instagram.

The community is built for years. One sentence associated with other platform - it's not enough. I expect something extra/ greater involvement.

For example:

• if possible: pinned messages on the group with links/pictures to other platform (social media TruckersMP)
  • the recording of the promotion video showing other platform/social media :tmp:
  • brainstorming in Team TruckersMP resulting in an idea to encourage the community to use other platforms

You can't just end it like that. The Community does not fall from the sky but is a value which should be built (on even on a different TMP platform) and fought for.