Most common mistakes and common road sense.

Koneko

Hai peeps,

As not hard to see I'm an game moderator at TruckersMP and today I'd like to talk about the most common mistakes while obviously driving or just in generally playing on our servers. Lately while doing my duties as game moderator while observing traffic in crowded cities and roads it came to my attention that lately so many simple mistakes are made that even can lead to further accidents or worse. Most of these mistakes are really just to easy to avoid but either it happens because the player may didn't know about or did it under negligence, which is indeed another story, however I want to talk about them so may some players can atleast take advantage of it and improve in such. 

To how this topic will be build up, well very easily for everyone's understanding I hope. I will most likely give some examples of simple mistakes by showing an screenshot or video, for example,  of them how it'd be wrong and how it'd right so it's better displayed and also may explain general stuff about this deticated maneuver/mistake/however you want to call it. Well that's simply explained what this topic is about, so let's get started. 

Mistakes at companies, service shops and similar

#1 Leaving a company, service shop and similar

The most common mistake that happens at companies, service shops and similar is simply leaving them without taking a look, inside other players, without paying attention and/or even without having the right to leave in first. When leaving a company you will almost always have an yield (give way) or stop sign, only in really rare cases it's not like this. Obviously both signs tell you to stop in first and to have a look if the road you want to enter on is clear for such in first. Ignoring those signs and just entering the road can lead to accidents pretty easily and you're at fault for such then, you can also be punished for such when taking our truckersmp rules into consideration. Even when those signs are not there, you still have to yield to crossing players and have to make sure that the road is clear in first.

The easiest way to improve in such is to simply respect these signs and take a look before you're leaving an company, service shop or similar. Every type of ignoring these and you crash into a player or a player does crash into you while you're pulling out of such, is considered your fault in any way.

Spoiler

Just some examples of those signs at companies and similar: 
ets2_20200623_153950_m5kf0.png
ets2_20200623_154004_1hk9n.png
ets2_20200623_160353_iwkwv.png

#1.1 Leaving companies, service shops and similar INSIDE of other players

Another pretty common but as well unfortunate mistake is to leave companies, service shops and similar (every place which does include a no collision area in general) inside of other players. Some may not even notice, but it happens a lot and you should be aware of the fact that you can cause major damage to others when leaving the no collision area at the same time they do and keep on driving inside of them. Both of the players automatically receive their collision back when exitting those areas, mostly it's just a matter of time until one player pushes another since for the one the collision is back but for the other one it's still not back, basically, this is most likely a bug but you're enforcing such with your own failure to adhere that it's clear to leave the place so it's also taken as your fault if that situation occurs and another player (or even more) receive major damage out of that. The most common place that happens is the service shop in duisburg. When you're standing at the exit of the shop then you should always, firstly make clear again that the road is clear for leaving, but also adhere yourself that no one is example standing infront of the exit already where you potentially go trough since you still don't have collision enabled again. We mostly also remind players to leave the service shop there ONE by ONE and it does help from time to time, but it should be in the knowledge of everyone for such. 

Spoiler

an example of how it does looks like when you should not start driving out: 
ets2_20200623_154810_xckuy.png
most common inside view:
ets2_20200623_154837_dwkk4.png

#2 Leaving and entering gas/fuel stations

Another pretty common place for accidents are gas stations. The may different thing about gas stations is the point that those have various ways to enter and leave them. However you're legally not allowed to enter them on the exits and viceversa, sounds like common road sense but it can get a bit tricky for unexperienced players. The smallest type of gas stations you can find at most countryside roads in almost every country in-game, however those are the most tricky ones for unexperienced players. In most countries in ets2 you'll have to drive on the right side of the road, except the uk (and other countries on promods). As shown in an example pinned down below you can see that you enter those always on the first possibility when fuel stations are on the right side. If those are on the left, then you always have to take the second opportunity to enter it since the first one would be the exit in that case. Also the exit and entrance is most likely shown with placed signs, however as it even happened to me once lately again I can tell that it is quite easy to oversee them when you're not paying full attention. 

Spoiler

Here are those 2 examples visually displayed with some arrows as a little visual help (The exact opposite is the case if you're in a country with left side driving)
ets2_20200623_160812_rpkh0.png
ets2_20200623_160835_4pjv1.png

And a little example of someone who did it right and who didn't.

ets2_20200623_155541_8ejlc.png

Mistakes at intersections and junctions

#1 Taking the correct lane for a turn

Well coming to intersections let's start with the most common mistake that I encountered in a minute wise while observing high populated areas. Many many players don't really use the appropriate lanes for turning or even just going straight. To take the most common place as an example, which will be displayed down below also, is the main intersection inside of duisburg. When coming from düsseldorf trough the tunnel to enter duisburg or from the opposite the service shop you will be on a road with a right and left lane. The most common mistake made here is that players use right lanes to turn left, left lanes to turn right and, which isn't a point at this intersection, but lanes that are only for "turning left" are being used to keep on straight. As simple as it is, but you're not allowed to use right lanes to turn left or viceversa by road laws and regulations in most countries. Which is also a little side note, as truckersmp rules apply on our server so do normal road regulations. When turning left from a right lane and an accident occurs with a player that was turning left from the left lane then you're obviously at fault and you also can be punished for such. You always should chose wisely in which lane you're driving in when you're approaching an intersection. Last second changes of lanes are not really appropriate either.

Spoiler

an quick example for such: 
ets2_20200623_154529_vdjyq.png

#2 Traffic Lights

As simple this system is and works, still a lot of mistakes and even misunderstandings happening with regular traffic lights. That red means stop and green means go isn't really the big deal, unless you ingore such on purpose. The most discussed point of traffic lights are the yellow/orange light phases. When a yellow light occures after an red phase, it doesn't directly mean you can go immediately. Technically there is nothing speaking against such, but normally it means that you should get ready to go when the light turns green. However the most misunderstood point is when a light turns yellow after a green phase. This light doesn't mean that you can still go. You're only allowed to run the yellow light if you're not able to brake before it in any matter. If you obviously still have the opportunity to brake, then you have to and stop. Stepping on the gas to get over it while it is still yellow is definetly the wrong decision and you can be punished for it as well. 

Spoiler

Yellow light appearance after a red-phase, which means you should get ready to go when the green light enables:

ets2_20200623_160708_0ikb2.png

Yellow light appearance after a green-phase, which means you should stop if you still have the possibility to by using your brakes:

ets2_20200623_160618_iskkg.png

#3 Players that are still on a intersection

This is a very roughly discussed topic as well were arguments are meeting each other. What happens or better said what exactly are you supposed to do when you are still on a intersection when the crossing traffic get's a green light or you're in this crossing traffic while another player is still on the intersection? It's simple, if you're still on the intersection then you should try to get off it as soon it's possible for you. However if another player is still on the intersection then you simply give him the time to leave it when it's possible. Trying to cut infront them or even ram them away is unnecessary and not smart in any matter, also such can be punished.

Spoiler

As visible here the white truck has green, however as said in the little explanation you should always let the ones on the intersection go in first. In this case the green truck who was waiting that the road get's clear to turn:

ets2_20200623_160125_a7jvd.png

#4 Traffic jams at and on intersections

With such is simply meant classis city jams. You want to take a left turn but you can see that there is no space for you anymore to properly fit into it without ending up in the middle of the intersection. However still a lot of players manage to do so, which is a clear mistake. If the traffic isn't moving then you shouldn't go either. It's simple as that.

Spoiler

as visible here on the left there is still a jam and there is no way the green truck would fit after it without blocking the intersection, therefore wait.

ets2_20200623_161958_m8jyv.png

The Kirkenes Quarry Road - Special Addition

Just regarding something to it in first, I've decided to take a special part for this road since there are a lot of things that need to be respected on this road.

#1 Overtaking

Just to start of with the most impactful manner on this road, overtaking itself. I would never ever recommend anyone if not absolutely needed to overtake someone else on the kirkenes quarry road, unless those people pull over and want you to overtake (Note: while that you have to make sure that you don't affect upcoming traffic for example). The kirkenes road has maybe 2 spots in total that are just about a little of hundreds meters where it is kind of save to overtake, but the whole rest of it is a uneven, bumpy, tight and just tricky road. If you trailer or yourself bumps off while overtaking for example and hits the player you're overtaking, then you're responsible for it. Also, since the road is very popular traffic jams are still a very common thing there. However it doesn't matter if there is no upcoming traffic or not, overtaking is strictly forbidden when the amount of players near you exceed the number of 25. That is also officially stated in our rules, any ignorance of this will definetly lead to an punishment. 

#2 Corners

Blocked Corners - the most annoying thing that occurs to a lot of players there. You're trying to get up an hill, you approach a corner and apparently it's blocked by players being parked inside of it. Obviously the kirkenes quarry road is way to tight, especially in corners that trucks with trailers can properly maneuver there beside each other. The kirkenes road, and I mean that for real, does require a good communication between players. Even if that is just honking or flashing the lights to signal you can go up or down. Before entering a corner, make sure down or up of it is enough space that you fit in there so you don't block the corner. Just following the player infront by not even looking for such things can get you in a bad situation pretty fast and you're at fault for that. If there is no space at all or you can see that you won't fit, then park infront of the corner so opposite traffic can go down or up, so traffic can keep rolling instead of being blocked by someone in the corner. Hence why communication is an requirement on this road.

Spoiler

Just an example on how it should work:

ets2_20200623_170548_t7k7z.png

And a little example where it definetly failed:

ets2_20200623_172552_fijie.png

#3 Priority

While really set priority isn't a thing in general on the kirkenes road, there is one place where one side has the priority for going over an bridge managed by road signs so by road regulations. That is the red-wooden bridge before or after, depending on where you coming from, the hairpin bends. If you're coming from the quarry, then you have priority to go over this bridge signaled by road signs while the side coming from kirkenes city direction has to give this priority and wait. While that is the only really set priority place, there is another priority which doesn't has to be hold, but could be kind of useful for everyone sometimes. If players are coming up an hill, give them priority to move in a corner for example. This isn't required to do, however would be a nice meant act besides and maybe could even save yourself some minutes.

Spoiler

Sign placed on the side when you come from kirkenes city, has to give priority to upcoming traffic:

ets2_20200623_170502_jgj9r.png

Sign placed on the side when coming from the kirkenes quarry, upcoming traffic has to give priority: 

ets2_20200623_170511_49kdb.png

#4 Out of Map

As written in rule §2.5 - Reckless Driving it is allowed to exit the base map of promods over roads to explore it further. However that doesn't include rivers, lakes or the sea in general. The Kirkenes road is quite known for the fact that you can exit the base road and even skip some of it by going over the water, however such is not allowed to do and will be punished.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well and that's basically it of the basic minor faults that are taking place daily on every server while it's just to easy to improve on them. I don't know if I most likely bored you with this or may even helped you, but I still would like to thank everyone who reads this and may improves out of such. If you have suggestions or stuff to add on this "list", then just let me know. I can tell that those are not all common mistakes, but those are definetly the ones that happen the most at the current time given. 

Within that, take care everyone!

Last Note: I'm aware that my english isn't the best, but aslong you can understand it then it should be fine:kappa:

TruckersMP's Neko and Official Weeb
Koneko

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
  • HaulieLove 6
  • Awesome! 1

Have to say thats a amazing guide , witch should be stick so players (if they really bother to read it all) can read and get some notions , accidents normally happen due to just few reasons , 85 % doesnt have a license driver in real life , 95% never drove a truck in real life , but this could give some trainning to the youngers , starting to understand the road in a sim game its half goal to in real life understand how everything works.

Best Regards to everyone from Portugal , peace!

Guest - Pink Ribbon -

I openly admit I use the petrol stations incorrectly sometimes. Driving 3 trailers I dont want to cause blockages on the roads and if I see the petrol station is empty then I honestly do enter the exit and go to the closest one so somebody can go to the far right one safely and I cause no accidents or blockages. I only do this becuase having to come to a stop and do a full turn into the enterance if i'm coming from the exit side can take time and I dont want to cause holdups. I know what the correct way is, but im just trying to prevent incidents or angry players as I dont want to ruin their gaming experience just like I dont want mine to be ruined.

Awesome Driving Guide, Well made and done @Koneko :love:?.

That's so cool if all would stick to such manner in driving, but o well u cant force them all to do sutch and anyways it's only a Video Game. But manners need to be made even in Video Games but therefore we got the Rules.

Imagine having such People driving a car or a truck in Real Life like they proof whit there ingame behavior that would be such a pain no matter the fact. But gladly i have never encountered very bad behavior on Germany Roads and Highways (Autobahn) before no idea about other Places around the World, no matter the fact we all humans even in Video Games behind wheels or others Games.

But other then that massive Props Koneko ?? well said and proved very Good couldn't have made a better Guide lik ur's

Nice and well made/explained guide, pity that those who most need to read it will never do so. Just as a suggestion, I'd add some of the most common mistakes I find when driving on the servers:

Keep your vehicle within a lane

It's very common to see people driving full speed and using all lanes of the road to make turns easier. This is not Dirt or Formula 1 games, it's an MP truck simulator and vehicles are supposed to stay on one lane, even when driving on 3 lanes per way highways. To be even clearer about the latter, 3 lanes doesn't mean that you can use all of them to take turns more "softly", on any highways and especially when driving trucks, the driver has to use the most right (or left in the UK and other Promods countries) and keep their vehicle on that lane while possible. Of course, you can switch to middle/left lane if you need to overtake or avoid an exit, but that's it, once there's a chance, you should go back to the right-est (or left-est) lane. The mistake about this is that most players who drive "cutting corners" usually don't pay any attention to (or don't care about) possibly oncoming (2-ways roads) or overtaking (one way roads) traffic, leading to "accidents" and punishments.

Make sure to leave room after overtaking others

Secondly and sadly too common, those people who overtake and as soon as they can't see your truck ahead, start merging on the right lane. Gentlemen, you're not driving a Nissan Micra, it's a long truck with a longer trailer behind. When you can't see the truck you are overtaking through the windshiled, it's time to look at the right (or left) mirror, and wait until you see the truck is way behind or that the player flashes their highbeams. At that moment, you can start merging back on the right (or left) lane slowly and with close attention to the truck in your mirror, if you see that it moves right (or left) you're probably cutting off, keep going straight for a while and then finish merging in very carefully. Lots of my reports have been due to people failing to do this and sideswiping my truck with their trailers.

Keep safety distances

Too many people seem to be always in a hurry... They will drive right behind your trailer, waiting for the moment to overtake, not keeping the distance. There are people, like myself, who drive by the speed limits and with lowered stability settings for the sake of realism. If the road is signed as 80 limited, that will be my speed and when approaching some turns I'll probably slow down to avoid my trailer tipping over. Those who follow too closely can be surprised by this and not have enough time to react, leading to a rear-ends crash that (in my case) will probably be punished. Whenever you see a slower vehicle ahead, overtake safely as soon as you can or keep a distance of at least 80-100 meters. You never know what that vehicle will do the next second, it can slow down, it can tip over (for lowered stabilities, e.g.), it can fully stop (maybe it was going slow because they need to make an emergency stop). You have to make sure that you will be able to stop in time, because if you can't and hit the truck ahead, it's always your fault. Obviously, brake checking is an entirely different issue, players should also try to keep enough distance to avoid crashing if the one ahead brake-checks, but that fits into reckless driving and the player at fault should always be the one doing it, not the one rear-ending as a result of it.

• Upvote 1

Quite good guide, could perhaps have mentioned that a green light means you are allowed to go, but it does not say that it is safe or clear. A good trucker will attempt to avoid accidents, even those that is not the truckers fault at all and if you see someone failing to respect a red light you should atleast make an attempt so it does not result in an accident.

Another thing is patience, truckers simply need to have some patience sometimes. If the traffic is standstill ahead, do not overtake, this will very likely result in another accident.

• True Story 1

Well I didn't expected that the guide get's appreciated that much lol. 
Anyway thank you for your feedback guys, I will definetly work on to improve on the guide and add new points in future. I know that I've missed a lot, some stuff that should be very obvious but still those mistakes happen but I will include them in future.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:42 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Nice and well made/explained guide, pity that those who most need to read it will never do so. Just as a suggestion, I'd add some of the most common mistakes I find when driving on the servers:

Keep your vehicle within a lane

It's very common to see people driving full speed and using all lanes of the road to make turns easier. This is not Dirt or Formula 1 games, it's an MP truck simulator and vehicles are supposed to stay on one lane, even when driving on 3 lanes per way highways. To be even clearer about the latter, 3 lanes doesn't mean that you can use all of them to take turns more "softly", on any highways and especially when driving trucks, the driver has to use the most right (or left in the UK and other Promods countries) and keep their vehicle on that lane while possible. Of course, you can switch to middle/left lane if you need to overtake or avoid an exit, but that's it, once there's a chance, you should go back to the right-est (or left-est) lane. The mistake about this is that most players who drive "cutting corners" usually don't pay any attention to (or don't care about) possibly oncoming (2-ways roads) or overtaking (one way roads) traffic, leading to "accidents" and punishments.

Make sure to leave room after overtaking others

Secondly and sadly too common, those people who overtake and as soon as they can't see your truck ahead, start merging on the right lane. Gentlemen, you're not driving a Nissan Micra, it's a long truck with a longer trailer behind. When you can't see the truck you are overtaking through the windshiled, it's time to look at the right (or left) mirror, and wait until you see the truck is way behind or that the player flashes their highbeams. At that moment, you can start merging back on the right (or left) lane slowly and with close attention to the truck in your mirror, if you see that it moves right (or left) you're probably cutting off, keep going straight for a while and then finish merging in very carefully. Lots of my reports have been due to people failing to do this and sideswiping my truck with their trailers.

Keep safety distances

Too many people seem to be always in a hurry... They will drive right behind your trailer, waiting for the moment to overtake, not keeping the distance. There are people, like myself, who drive by the speed limits and with lowered stability settings for the sake of realism. If the road is signed as 80 limited, that will be my speed and when approaching some turns I'll probably slow down to avoid my trailer tipping over. Those who follow too closely can be surprised by this and not have enough time to react, leading to a rear-ends crash that (in my case) will probably be punished. Whenever you see a slower vehicle ahead, overtake safely as soon as you can or keep a distance of at least 80-100 meters. You never know what that vehicle will do the next second, it can slow down, it can tip over (for lowered stabilities, e.g.), it can fully stop (maybe it was going slow because they need to make an emergency stop). You have to make sure that you will be able to stop in time, because if you can't and hit the truck ahead, it's always your fault. Obviously, brake checking is an entirely different issue, players should also try to keep enough distance to avoid crashing if the one ahead brake-checks, but that fits into reckless driving and the player at fault should always be the one doing it, not the one rear-ending as a result of it.

I will definetly include these points soon. All of these 3 points are definetly factors which are playing a role in many many accidents. Also, thank you for your feedback ❤️

On 6/25/2020 at 1:59 PM, Skilpadde said:

Quite good guide, could perhaps have mentioned that a green light means you are allowed to go, but it does not say that it is safe or clear. A good trucker will attempt to avoid accidents, even those that is not the truckers fault at all and if you see someone failing to respect a red light you should atleast make an attempt so it does not result in an accident.

Another thing is patience, truckers simply need to have some patience sometimes. If the traffic is standstill ahead, do not overtake, this will very likely result in another accident.

Both points should be on the top of common road sense but as well all know it still does happen a lot, more likely the overtaking of traffic jams. Even though this is already included in the rules, I will most likely make an more detailed explanation of this. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Very useful guide thanks for enlightening us ❤️

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

• 2 years later...