ETS2 is a Game or a Simulator???

Mineiro Uai

ETS2 is a simulator or a game?? Make your choice!  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What is ETS2??

• Euro Truck is a simulator
    • Euro truck is a game

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/20 at 04:17 PM

It is definitely game. If you wanna see simulator fly on IVAO,VATSIM with P3D, XPlane-11 or FSX. You can see huge differents. Like, you cannot see someone who is trolling on virtual aviation but you can find many trolls in ETS2. Maybe the reason is age group that plays. I don't know. But ETS2 is a game.

18 minutes ago, Dodurga said:

It is definitely game. If you wanna see simulator fly on IVAO,VATSIM with P3D, XPlane-11 or FSX. You can see huge differents. Like, you cannot see someone who is trolling on virtual aviation but you can find many trolls in ETS2. Maybe the reason is age group that plays. I don't know. But ETS2 is a game.

I agree... It is a G A M E .

For me it is hard to say because it is a game as well as a simulation. It is a simulation game. There is no black or white in this case.

Of course you are "playing" it, you are acting in a virtual environment but the goal of this game is to simulate the life of a trucker (normally in SP but thanks to TMP-staff also in MP). You start with nothing, doing quick jobs so you can later buy your first own truck, hire employees and create like your own personal trucking company within the game. After you reached this you have thanks to Steam and TMP the opportunities to make new goals (e.g. becoming the most popular / successful VTC in MP or getting every steam achievement).

This is why I won't describe ETS2 just as a game or just a simulation. I would say it is both.

From the SCS Software website of Euro Truck Simulator 2:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 gives you the chance to become a real truck driver from the comfort of your home! Featuring licensed trucks with countless customization options and advanced driving physics, the game delivers an unparalleled driving experience which has put it in the spot of the most popular truck driving simulator on the market. In game world features numerous landmarks and precisely recreated territories to create the ultimate experience, making you feel as if you were driving the trucks in real life! But let's not be fooled - Euro Truck Simulator 2 is not only about driving - the economy in game allows you to create and grow your own transportation company exactly as you see fit - the opportunities are endless!

(Source: https://eurotrucksimulator2.com, all highlighted texts formatted by me )

Differencebetween describes the difference between games and simulations as following:

1.A game is what one can play in a computer game whereas a simulation combines strategy and skills along with the game.
2.While a simulation is designed for evaluative or computational purposes, a game is designed for entertainment and educational purposes.
3.Accuracy is the upshot of simulations, and clarity is the upshot of games.
4.While a simulation is a serious effort to precisely represent a real phenomenon in another, a game is an artistic representation of some phenomenon.
5.When games are stylized, simulations are very detailed.
6.Games are known to suppress details whereas simulations elaborate on all the details.
7.The creators of simulations do not simplify designs in a deliberate manner and only as a concession to the intellectual and material limitations. The creators of games use designs elaborately and in a deliberate manner.

(Source: http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-games-and-simulations/, all highlighted texts formatted by me)

According to the above descriptions and definition, ETS 2 would be a hybrid:
Entertaining, educational, strategic, detailed and accurate.

Nothing against SCS Software and their work, but ETS 2 is for me definitely way more a game then a simulation and i agree with the reply from Joao Rodrigues. It is more a game just for everyone, for those who likes it more "realistic" and for those, who likes it more "simple", so it is a hibrid game and yes i am a experienced Player that played ETS 2 about 1100 hours already. OMSI 2 as example is already a simulation for me. Some reasons why:

-> No realistic driving performance

-> No 1:1 map (Of course it will take about alot of hours to drive a Budapest-Paris route)

-> No realistic sounds (There is still no gearbox sounds for each truck and i think, they are one of the most important sounds of a truck, because they are louder then the engine itself, when reaching about 60 km/h; In OMSI 2 by the busses you hear them perfectly)

-> No utils for the driver (Opening windows in the cabin is some one of them)

-> No realistic logistic companies except Krone, Schwarzmüller and Michelin.

-> No realistic economic simulation (They call this simulation, but i call this a Kindergarten System, that you also don't need anymore, when you reach Level 20-25 and have enough money; This one is more developed for beginners, but not for experienced players, because it is hard to start for a little time, but otherwhise you get to fast to money)

-> No realistic damage and leak profile (Not only automatic brake and engine breakdown)

Also i think, that ETS 2 is more based on the old 18 Wheels of Steel games, which they are also from SCS Software, but i anyways like to play this game, because i love to drive long routes for some hours.

I personally think it's a simulator in the sense it simulates driving a truck, completing loads and earning currency in which you progress. However, overall it is a game. I'd say you could class it as a 'Simulator Game'. It really depends how you want to play. At the end of the day it is just a game with simulator dynamics :D 

It's a very interesting question, and I think that even with the poll that you've created (which I haven't voted on because I can't even make up my own mind) you'll not find the clarity that you're looking for.

@Dodurga is right to bring up the lack of misbehavior that comes from other simulation games, such as IVAO,VATSIM, X-Plane and so on. It would be naive to discard these games when making a decision. Moving away from the world of piloting, iRacing exists for motorsport and you have TS2020 and TSW for lovers of the rail (although these are predominantly singleplayer).

ATS and ETS2 then have a problem when it comes to people coming in and trolling. Why is this the case? The software isn't subpar by any stretch of the imagination. Ok, the airbrake simulation is typically turned off because it becomes a nuisance; crash physics leave a lot to be desired, but similar faults can be said about most simulators.

I think the answer lies in how other simulators function, or how they are marketed. Trolls who have a superficial-to-absent understanding of how planes work will find themselves unable to get a plane moving because they don't understand the basic fundamentals of starting up and taxiing. If you can't even get the wheels rolling, you'll get bored quickly and move on. Alas, no harm done.

In iRacing, where movement is a little easier, you pay a monthly subscription to be able to keep playing the game. This is not necessarily expensive, but it's enough of a deterrent to keep childish behavior at bay. Losing your money's worth because of a troll ban isn't really on the cards for most mischievous people.

And so you find ATS and ETS2 being the most readily accessible for trolls, because it's easy to get trucks moving (even if you don't understand 18-speed transmissions, or engine braking, or retarders) and cause mayhem, and there is no monthly subscription. While regrettable, this does make for an excellent breading ground for trolls to gather and cause problems.

So there are aspects of ATS and ETS2 which cause it to lose "simulation traction", but I don't think the ability to troll should necessarily discredit ATS/ETS2 from being branded as a "simulation". There are many other factors to consider, and we also cannot ignore the singleplayer, especially when a fair amount of simulators are exclusively singleplayer in the first place. It's also important to consider that other truck games are DEFINITELY not simulators, such as 18 wheels of steel, or the king of route 66. If you don't think it's a simulator, it's still the most simulatory non-simulator you have in the trucking world.

Alas, I don't have a definitive answer, but I don't think that a simple vote will bring about the end of this debate, as it's too convoluted a subject to bring to an end just with a barely majority consensus.

Certainly an interesting discussion though.

Paddy

Prime Logistics | Former HR & Exam Team

TMP Former Events Team

1 hour ago, PaddyJackson said:

It's a very interesting question, and I think that even with the poll that you've created (which I haven't voted on because I can't even make up my own mind) you'll not find the clarity that you're looking for.

@Dodurga is right to bring up the lack of misbehavior that comes from other simulation games, such as IVAO,VATSIM, X-Plane and so on. It would be naive to discard these games when making a decision. Moving away from the world of piloting, iRacing exists for motorsport and you have TS2020 and TSW for lovers of the rail (although these are predominantly singleplayer).

ATS and ETS2 then have a problem when it comes to people coming in and trolling. Why is this the case? The software isn't subpar by any stretch of the imagination. Ok, the airbrake simulation is typically turned off because it becomes a nuisance; crash physics leave a lot to be desired, but similar faults can be said about most simulators.

I think the answer lies in how other simulators function, or how they are marketed. Trolls who have a superficial-to-absent understanding of how planes work will find themselves unable to get a plane moving because they don't understand the basic fundamentals of starting up and taxiing. If you can't even get the wheels rolling, you'll get bored quickly and move on. Alas, no harm done.

In iRacing, where movement is a little easier, you pay a monthly subscription to be able to keep playing the game. This is not necessarily expensive, but it's enough of a deterrent to keep childish behavior at bay. Losing your money's worth because of a troll ban isn't really on the cards for most mischievous people.

And so you find ATS and ETS2 being the most readily accessible for trolls, because it's easy to get trucks moving (even if you don't understand 18-speed transmissions, or engine braking, or retarders) and cause mayhem, and there is no monthly subscription. While regrettable, this does make for an excellent breading ground for trolls to gather and cause problems.

So there are aspects of ATS and ETS2 which cause it to lose "simulation traction", but I don't think the ability to troll should necessarily discredit ATS/ETS2 from being branded as a "simulation". There are many other factors to consider, and we also cannot ignore the singleplayer, especially when a fair amount of simulators are exclusively singleplayer in the first place. It's also important to consider that other truck games are DEFINITELY not simulators, such as 18 wheels of steel, or the king of route 66. If you don't think it's a simulator, it's still the most simulatory non-simulator you have in the trucking world.

Alas, I don't have a definitive answer, but I don't think that a simple vote will bring about the end of this debate, as it's too convoluted a subject to bring to an end just with a barely majority consensus.

Certainly an interesting discussion though.

I am wanting to understand the situation regarding the speed limitation in TMP. Some say it is game, so the speed must be released ... However, others, simulator, to be realistic must have compatible speeds. I want to understand what the game player thinks about it.

16 minutes ago, Mineiro Uai said:

I am wanting to understand the situation regarding the speed limitation in TMP. Some say it is game, so the speed must be released ... However, others, simulator, to be realistic must have compatible speeds. I want to understand what the game player thinks about it.

It's an admirable bit of investigation you're conducting, but I'm not certain that the outcome of a poll is going to give you the answers you're looking for.

Understanding the opinion of a whimsical majority doesn't mean that those who voted contrary can be discarded as irrelevant losers of a subjective and arbitrary vote, especially when the subject matter is one that will encourage the voter to cast their ballot in the name of self-interest. Even then, those who feel that ETS2 and ATS is a game might still feel that the speed limit should be kept on the TMP servers, leaving you with an altogether very fragmented and convoluted pool of opinions that gets you no closer to putting forth an argument for or against the speed limit remaining.

I provided my opinion on the more direct debate about the speed limit here. As you can tell, I'm very restrained in giving an outright yes or not here too, because it's only one aspect of TMP gameplay and it has the potential to have a domino effect on so much more stuff.

That said, I did say earlier that I felt the speed limit should probably stay as is [click] and I sheepishly stand by that, because it's the status quo and even with it's issues and rumbling disgruntlement among a fair few, it's known to work.

I appreciate what you're seeking to achieve here, but I don't think the outcome will be as fulfilling as you want it to be.

Paddy

Prime Logistics | Former HR & Exam Team

TMP Former Events Team

In itself, the definition for ETS2 is a game, even the same SCS defines it as such since it has no components required to be classified as a simulator, in addition to the that if you analyze the one that would come most faithful to a simulator would be the offline one, since in the MP some you think it is FORZA reaching 110 km/hr  and it seems LeMans some areas of the MP; in addition to having components that lead to a high level of modification, it takes it more to the category of play than a simulator.

I really think it's al about how the end user treats the game/simulator. I consider it as a simulator, why? cause I have a whole setup, G27, almar SKRS, Track IR, triple monitor, custom made button box,... and I play it highly simulative, meaning following every single rule, no speeding, staying inbetween the lines, having all my suspensions set to minimum, braking to minimum, and all the other options that are considered simulative, basicly as close to real life as currently possible with the game...

The f1 racers and arcade gamers will call it Grandma Driving, I call it simulative driving.

Tho in tmp this style of driving is hardly respected by the other roadusers, and it's a sad thing to see..

However, I don't consider TMP simulative for this very reason, tho I try driving as i would in singleplayer, it just never works with the other road users.

Singleplayer is the way to go for a full simulator experience.

Moral of the story

ETS2 TMP = game

ETS2 Singleplayer = simulator

On 5/31/2020 at 11:02 AM, Mister_Manson said:

Nothing against SCS Software and their work, but ETS 2 is for me definitely way more a game then a simulation and i agree with the reply from Joao Rodrigues. It is more a game just for everyone, for those who likes it more "realistic" and for those, who likes it more "simple", so it is a hibrid game and yes i am a experienced Player that played ETS 2 about 1100 hours already. OMSI 2 as example is already a simulation for me. Some reasons why:

-> No realistic driving performance

-> No 1:1 map (Of course it will take about alot of hours to drive a Budapest-Paris route)

-> No realistic sounds (There is still no gearbox sounds for each truck and i think, they are one of the most important sounds of a truck, because they are louder then the engine itself, when reaching about 60 km/h; In OMSI 2 by the busses you hear them perfectly)

-> No utils for the driver (Opening windows in the cabin is some one of them)

-> No realistic logistic companies except Krone, Schwarzmüller and Michelin.

-> No realistic economic simulation (They call this simulation, but i call this a Kindergarten System, that you also don't need anymore, when you reach Level 20-25 and have enough money; This one is more developed for beginners, but not for experienced players, because it is hard to start for a little time, but otherwhise you get to fast to money)

-> No realistic damage and leak profile (Not only automatic brake and engine breakdown)

Also i think, that ETS 2 is more based on the old 18 Wheels of Steel games, which they are also from SCS Software, but i anyways like to play this game, because i love to drive long routes for some hours.

-I think the driving performance of the truck seems real enough. At least from the experience i have from being in a truck.

-1:1 map? That would actually be impossible. Well if they only did the roads they have now, and then just extended them so they would be as long to drive as in real life, then maybe it would be possible. But the amount of time they would need to put in houses and grass and scenery would be insane. Something like Microsoft Flight Simulator gets away with it since they really have no detail on ground. Only on airports. If you fly close to the ground there is no real landmarks. Its just randomly generate trees and "grass". Where as in ETS2 and ATS, there is all sorts of scenery on ground since there has to be. And they have tried to make that as realistic as possible. So for them to have to create roads where its 1:1 with the map they have, would take a very very long time. Might almost be impossible. 

-Well from what i know the sounds seems realistic enough. Yes there might be a sound or two they can still get in there, but with 1.37 and the new sound system that might actually come in the future.

-Well they do have more than that in there. But the main reason why they dont have more in the game is because of licensing. If they had to get every single real company in game it would take till the end of time of the universe to get those licenses for those companies. It is incredible tedious work to acquire licenses for these. Which is also why it takes so long to get a new truck in ATS and ETS2. I am sure they would love to have all those companies in there, its just not worth the years and years of time that would be spent on it.

-Well sure, i can agree on the economic things here. But i think the main reason for this is simply because they dont want people to spent 100 hours just to be able to buy your own truck. And then spent another 100 hours to buy a second truck for a driver. Its made this way to be more including for everyone. Just so you dont have to spent an eternity before you can buy your own truck. And if you do play MP you will be earning a lot more money since the game passes a lot of time when ever you go on MP so when ever you sleep or fast travel or what ever it will give you a lot of money from the drivers you have. It wont if you just play SP.

-So the reason for no realistic damage models on trucks, is again because of licensing. If they had told Mercedes or Volvo or what ever that the truck they would license off to SCS could be smashed into pieces then they would not allow SCS to get that license for that truck. Its a matter of image. They dont want people driving around in their truck brand smashing up the truck. I am sure SCS would love to include it, they are simply not allowed to do it.

So i think this is a simulation. As best as it can be with what SCS can do. They are at least trying to make it as good of a simulator as it can be. :)

2 hours ago, MrSirViking said:

Something like Microsoft Flight Simulator gets away with it since they really have no detail on ground. Only on airports. If you fly close to the ground there is no real landmarks. Its just randomly generate trees and "grass".

That is why serious simmers use X-Plane 10 or 11+ with OSM and autogen. ?
(Forgive me for being off-topic.)

ETS2 is most definitely a simulator. (Clue is in the name). It should always be treated as one and not as some "arcade game". People should enjoy themselves whilst driving in a responsible and realistic manner. Failing to do so can spoil the experience for other players and even yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived