High Beams Flash

imMetallic

G’day you legends.

I just a bit curious on why people flash high beams as I go past them. I’ve been on TruckersMP since 2016 but only really began to pick up that tones of people flash their high beams as they go past, normally on the C/D road. Is there a reason for this?

Down here in Australia, it’s used as a friendly warning to slow down due to police/speed cameras and related stuff. But, let’s face it, truckersMP don’t have police stops/cameras, you know. So I was wondering, what does it mean when people flash their beams at me? Are they saying hello or trying to tell me something?

- Metallic

Hello @imMetallic,

Thank you for your post on our forums.

It's a way for people to say hello. They are greeting you while on the road.

Regards,

Nameless Ghoul.

Current Advisor of

TruckersMP.com

Player Reports: https://truckersmp.com/reports

Ban Appeal: https://truckersmp.com/appeals

Game Rules: https://truckersmp.com/rules

Good day @imMetallic,

Some people light up their high beam to restrict people's view. Like troll. Some people greet you by making a selector. This simply means hello. Instead, the horn can also be played, but it is better to make a selector in the evening, so the light is turned on.

KİNG REGARDS

TR|06ANKA58

Many players find it as an alternative to honking at passing drivers.

I would try not to equate what you see on TMP with what occurs on actual roads. People here think trucks commonly drive 110 km/h everywhere after all.

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

Many people do it for many different reasons.

Some people just prefer to drive with their high beam lights on constantly, for whatever reason. 

Most people, including myself, will tend to flash back at those who use it to say hello, or to make sure somebody has seen me when the horn is inappropriate to be used (e.g. in a town with lots of other people, and the horn would not be heard). 

Yeah, I often drive with the high beams on, in very dark places, for the much increased visibility.  I typically use my air horn and go toot toot as people go by to say hello.  Sometimes at night I'll cycle through the lights real quick (off, parking, on) like I've seen american truckers do all my life.  (They apparently have a switch that turns off all the yellow accent lights and back on, including the trailer, often using this as a signal to the truck that just passed them that they're clear to move back over).  It's not 100% possible to flick just the parking lights on and off while running headlights.. and if that's possible, please someone tell me because that would really do it for me.  But I dislike flashing hi-beams because of other 'meanings' it has here. e.g.: "slow down, there's an accident up ahead/law enforcement/danger of any kind"

This leads me to a question.... is it considered rude in the game for us to drive with our high beams ALWAYS on at night? I do this because from what I can tell, oncoming high beams do very little to obstruct my vision (full ultra settings)... so there really is no reason not to use the high beam at all times, since it gives so much more visibility. I'm not actually blinding anyone am I? 

You have never truly trucked unless you have trucked with a MAD COW!

Hello @MadCowTransport,

^ I don't think you can blind someone in the game. But me personally, I don't like it. I'm a driver in real life and you should turn the high beams off every time you are passing someone. I just don't know why, but I don't like it in the game too. But that's only my opinion, it's up to you how you want to use your lights. 

Have a great day.

|Viva Trucking|Apply to Viva Trucking|Star Wars Fan|HAZMAT Division

On 5/15/2020 at 12:20 PM, Rudewolf said:

Hello @MadCowTransport,

^ I don't think you can blind someone in the game. But me personally, I don't like it. I'm a driver in real life and you should turn the high beams off every time you are passing someone. I just don't know why, but I don't like it in the game too. But that's only my opinion, it's up to you how you want to use your lights. 

Have a great day.

Totally understandable. I'll probably try to change my habits for the sake of realism. 

Hi @imMetallic,

Long time driver of the C-D road here. People flash their high beams on C-D road to to notify you for an accident down the road or an admin observing the area. It's another small detail that makes the C-D road more realistic and fun than the other areas of the map. In non-rush hour times where traffic is low even on the C-D road, people might flash their high beams to say hello. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK there are multiple meanings of this. A single long flash from a vehicle coming the other way is "Hello". Multiple short flashes in rapid succession from a vehicle coming the other way is warning you of a hazard you are approaching. A short flash is usually someone letting you out or saying "thank you". A long flash from a vehicle behind you, usually on a motorway, is instead of the horn (we don't really use horns on motorways here). 

Hey there,

As many people have said above me, it's usually a kind gesture to say hello to fellow drivers as they pass by, i use it to let drivers out or to say hello if my horn button is too far away aha.

#happytrucking

Thanks

Smacky. (Zach)

TruckersMP Events Team

spacer.png

Need help? | Report a user | Appeal a ban | Request an eventFeedback | Want to join the team?

Current Status - spacer.png

So anyway I just realized I never properly answered the question.

Reasons I personally flash my lights
- If I don't feel like honking and just want to say hello as I drive by
- When someone who overtakes me is clear to pull back into my lane
- Lots of crazy flashing if there are trucks coming up to a wreck in the oncoming lane
- To tell a player that I'm letting them pull out in front of me (out of a delivery company, or intersection, for example)

I also tend to stick to some methods to signal other things for example
- Beacon : When I'm carrying weight that my current truck isn't handling well, therefor I will be slow to come up to speed
- Right Signal + Driving (or left signal if in England) on shoulder/apron : When I intend on giving a player extra room to overtake me (usually if I notice they are a bit swirly or dangerous driving)
- CB Radio : Sometimes I use this to express any of the above, although usually I use it just if I'm bored and want to have a short chat with nearby players. (I only speak English though so I run into a lot of language barrier)

• 2 weeks later...

Reasons why:

- flash shortly multiple times to warn of a slow vehicle or other incident ahead

- greet the other driver - particularly in dlc areas of the map, seeing other drivers is fairly uncommon, so using the lights serves as a friendly and non-invasive greeting (the horn would often be a bit obnoxious and loud in these circumstances)

- long flash to signal to another driver that I am giving way to them

Another signal I would use is turning on the hazard warning lights before coming to a full stop, for instance before a queue of traffic or a red light.

Kind regards, 

.Quality

rk0ThyI.png

I tend to do 3 flashes to mimic SOS & sometimes use hazards to reinforce the alert, 2 flashes is either hello or letting someone out though i tend to beep for hello & several blasts of the horn or a long blast is when someone cuts me off or forces an overtake into traffic i.e running me off the road etc! Beacons are if im pulling something heavy or dangerous or to alert others to a situation i.e a crash in traffic along with hazards 

As many have said, it's to greet people.

Personally, I am a huge hater of this "high beams culture" on TruckersMP. The high beams are blinding and unnecessary and the honking is no better. If you really want to say hello to the passing vehicle, press x. Otherwise it's just subtracting from the fun and the experience.

I see a lot of people saying they use the high beams for better visibility of the road, especially while on the backroads, and this is fine. But just like the real world you have to turn them off when there are any vehicles around you because otherwise you're blinding them. Granted the "blinding" effect is less prominent in ETS since it's a game but it's annoying none-the-less.

A more serious issue with the "high beams culture" is that it makes signaling overtaking vehicles a joke. Flicking your high beams in TruckersMP should be treated just as they are in the real world, in which they are used to signal the vehicle ahead of you for a variety of reasons depending on context. Examples include letting a vehicle pass at a 4-way stop, allowing a vehicle to switch into your lane, to alert them that their lights aren't on/high beams are on, or to warn of a hazard. A horn can also be used in place of these scenarios, but keep in mind that horns sound harsh for a reason. In most situations, they are interpreted as a means of signaling a hazard to all vehicles around you.

Also turn your beacons off...

Over here in Singapore people flash their lights when they're greeting fellow drivers on the road and/or when someone else cuts them off. Drivers here are ruthless let me tell ya! But based on what I've seen in TMP, drivers use their air horn as a form of communication like greetings, while the normal horn is used when someone else is driving recklessly and could potentially cause harm. Flashing lights would be an alternative to air honking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest - Pink Ribbon -

If I'm moving and want to say hello to them without typing in chat I do 2 quick flashes. If someone let's me out of a junction I flash 3 times to indicate me saying thanks. If I'm at a Give way sign or somebody wants to merge or rejoin the road then I flash a few times to indicate for them to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived