Honking or flashing?

Lundqvistbro

Hello all,

I recently joined the TMP community after many hours in SP. I do like the open road and the joy that I get whenever I see someone on the highway or the more rural/non highway roads. I am a bit confused on the etiquette when coming across another person while driving. I’ve seen flashing high beams, honking and at times a mix of both. What is the right/common way to greet each other when passing each other on the road? I’ve been commonly doing a double honk if I’ve been honked to or a reply flash if I’ve been flashed. 
Thanks, Lund.

Good morning ? Lundqvistbro,

I usually use the lights to say thanks for giving way or in general for a good action. On the contrary, I usually honk to indicate something wrong or to attract attention. Keep in mind that if you play with low graphics or there are many players the lights may not be enough.

Also here you will find more info:

Greetings.

2 hours ago, Lundqvistbro said:

Hello all,

I recently joined the TMP community after many hours in SP. I do like the open road and the joy that I get whenever I see someone on the highway or the more rural/non highway roads. I am a bit confused on the etiquette when coming across another person while driving. I’ve seen flashing high beams, honking and at times a mix of both. What is the right/common way to greet each other when passing each other on the road? I’ve been commonly doing a double honk if I’ve been honked to or a reply flash if I’ve been flashed. 
Thanks, Lund.

You can do both but for me i usually do hoot as its more effective beacuse in most cases the other driver will hoot back at me

I usuarlly flash my highbeams to greet other drivers along the road, and use the horn to warn people of possible danger coming up.

Like for instance, on some roads it may be very common to find trucks with trailers parked on the bankside for a moment, and when I pass by them, especially when on the lane right next to the side, I honk the air horn a couple of times when I'm still one-or-two-trucks-distance away

337254467_TruckerMPsignature2(150px).jpg.55bd2a1405f75455b7852f8fe366b199.jpg

I think that it's an interesting question, because there will be situations where use of flashing is positive (typically authority to go, or telling somebody they have space to get into the lane), where as other times it'll be a warning (such as warning somebody that their indicator is still on, or they have left their dazzling high-beams on). By the same token, some people use the horn to greet other people on a quiet motorway stretch, where as doing this would be inappropriate in a place like Calais.

I think that with that in mind, there's no true answer to the question. I would say that provided you can get your message across, either works in the appropriate place at the appropriate time. ?‍?

Paddy

Prime Logistics | Former HR & Exam Team

TMP Former Events Team

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, 

just a quick heads up, be careful when using your flashlights when you are in a highly populated city, if there are more than 25 users on your tab, do avoid using flash as it can actually result you in getting a kick if not a ban (depending on the moderator sometimes and how often you’ve flashed)

On 4/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, ppabli said:

Good morning ? Lundqvistbro,

I usually use the lights to say thanks for giving way or in general for a good action. On the contrary, I usually honk to indicate something wrong or to attract attention. Keep in mind that if you play with low graphics or there are many players the lights may not be enough.

Also here you will find more info:

Greetings.

So far I prefer using quickly my headlight flashers rather than honking, because sometimes it can be annoying to hear the sound over and over again. I use my horn when someone is doing something dangerous.

Furthermore during night I use my headlight flashers to ask my opponent turning off his high beam because it's kinda blinding me :) .

Hello, it's really up to you on how to sign or greet an acquaintance on the road; Now that if you must sometimes be aware of the conditions and the context in which you are, since a flurry of lights can go from a "hello friend" to a "danger ahead"; or also a greeting honk can mean that something happens later or that you may be LAG or something else. But it is a matter of persecution and knowing and recognizing the context in which you are driving and thus knowing how to respond and how to do it.

I agree with the majority...

I use my high beam to greet or to warn someone I am overtaking. 

I sometimes do a few short honks in a row to greet.

When I’m angry at someone - I’ll ether hold down the air horn, normal horn, or both at the same time. I may spam a horn quickly at someone, and sometimes I quickly go in a pattern between both horns if I’m really angry.

As i drive trucks for  a living i know these pretty wel there is no meaning for the flashing in the real world other than to greet or recognise one another or mabe just to show off your custom rig.     genreally if your behind a truck and they start driving closer to the edge of the road and indicate towards the middle this could mean its safe to overtake and is considered good manners.      

flashing 4 ways or hazards  usually means im slowing down      some trucks of the modern era apply the hazards if thert ruck has to brake itself or you have gave the brakes some welly i know the new Actros does and maybe the next gen Scan

if you are overtaking and indicate to come back in front of the driver your over taking if they are experiecend they would usually flash you in you could reply to this for courtesy by either using your hazards or signalling left, Right, Left    your basically saying thank you   

sometimes you can be courtious not just by using lights

if you are being overetaken donr just keep your foot down to slow the inevitable just slow down a bit and make the overtake a bit more quicker

pretty sure i have seen this also in the comments ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived