Realistic Damage

SouthenLad

Hello All.

Have you ever wondered about when a truck crashes in game and thought how cool it would be if there was visible dents, scratches and damage to the truck well what i would like to know is if you think this would be such a cool feature or would be annoying and i would also like to know if you believe this would be possible in the future and how you think it would be implemented if so.

I personally believe this is something that would be very difficult to do in general but even more harder in multiplayer due to i believe the trucks would need some sort of server sync of the damage to see it and this could be very difficult  however if there was a ets3 to be made maybe they would focus on that in early stages with a multiplayer. You could also say theres no need for a new ets as the ets2 community is so good.

Lets see what you come up with.

Kind Regards
SouthernLad

There are three principle obstacles to overcome with this:

1. SCS would need to obtain permission from the real truck manufacturers for visual damage, which often isn't granted. Vehicle licenses in games often come with clauses regarding whether or not vehicle damage is allowed
  2. SCS would then need to re-model all the trucks and trailers to be able to take visual damage
  3. If it was put in, you would likely see drastic performance loss in the MP mods

After dealing with those three problems, you then have the issue in that trolls would probably want to create even more crashes just to see how badly they could visually damage trucks. It would be a terrible idea.

1 minute ago, McclaudEagle said:

There are three principle obstacles to overcome with this:

1. SCS would need to obtain permission from the real truck manufacturers for visual damage, which often isn't granted
  2. SCS would then need to re-model all the trucks and trailers to be able to take visual damage
  3. If it was put in, you would likely see drastic performance loss in the MP mods

After dealing with those three problems, you then have the issue in that trolls would probably want to create even more crashes just to see how badly they could visually damage trucks. It would be a terrible idea.

Lovely answer, and completely agree thank you

Technically it should be possible. I still remember "Need for Speed: Porsche unleashed", where cars would take damage for any crashes, the damage would be vissible and the more damage, the less performance the cars had, up to the point that they could become unmanageable. Like, some crashes could damage the front left wheel, so the car would be "limping" on that side for the rest of the race/mission. But it's true what McclaudEagle says about needing permission from the truck makers, IIRC, SCS wanted to put some "classic" trucks in the game, but the manufacturers only agreed to have their latest models (at a given time) featured in the game.

I think this is very difficult to do, first of all, SCS needs to get the license and authorization of the main dealer. If you do this kind of physics, maybe people in the real world will compare it to ETS2. Look which truck is stronger. However, there is no guarantee that the future will not come!

Such a comparison is not impossible!

Truckers_3D 

The truck manufacturers will not, under any circumstances, allow for this. In the real world we, as commercial drivers live with the fear that someone would hijack or steal our trucks to use as a weapon that can do devastating damage and cost countless lives. Truck manufacturers live in that real world, and the last thing they want to face is a potential lawsuit in the event that some deranged person inflicted such casualties using a video game for ideas/practice, much the same way that Microsoft nearly faced a massive lawsuit when the 9/11 hijackers were found to have used Flight Simulator to practice for their horrific crime. The world we live in has been shaped by lawyers that are more than happy to file even the most frivolous of lawsuits, and companies both large and small exist in fear of those lawyers constantly, and have to spend crazy amounts of money on their own legal staffs to counter it.

It is complicated for many reasons, ranging from the time That ScS will have to rearm the game and the physics of the trucks and not just these, because if one crashes into something [e.g. a car or other truck] these you should also suffer the onslaught of an accident. It should also be considered that ScS should obtain permissions manufacturers in addition to being able to obtain information on true or at least realistic accidents, in addition to having to separate types of accidents and how serious they are and considering the fact that no manufacturer will want their products to be affected by safety issues or similar. And one last serious topic about TMP since a synchronised one should be created at the time of colliding and would be complex by several factors and very difficult to achieve and implement, and that we don't consider that with hackers this could be affected many other things.

19 minutes ago, Moritaka said:

It is complicated for many reasons, ranging from the time That ScS will have to rearm the game and the physics of the trucks and not just these, because if one crashes into something [e.g. a car or other truck] these you should also suffer the onslaught of an accident. It should also be considered that ScS should obtain permissions manufacturers in addition to being able to obtain information on true or at least realistic accidents, in addition to having to separate types of accidents and how serious they are and considering the fact that no manufacturer will want their products to be affected by safety issues or similar. And one last serious topic about TMP since a synchronised one should be created at the time of colliding and would be complex by several factors and very difficult to achieve and implement, and that we don't consider that with hackers this could be affected many other things.

Thank you for your comment.

yeah that is very understandable, Interesting indeed, hackers could may well be a problem.

SouthernLad

Big nono for a full crash model inplementation! The core game is driving a truck as close to irl as possible. I know everybody has their own way of playing the game, but you're not suposed to crash your rig on purpose, unlike dome games like beam ng, gta,... Of you wanna crash into stuff, cause havoc left and right, go install said above games.

IMO crash models are a huge waste of time and recourses.

On the other hand, I would love to see dirt, scratches,... just regular wear and tear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @SouthenLad,

Thank you for creating a thread on our forum.

It has been 14 days since the last reply. Therefore, this thread is now inactive.

For the reason above, I will lock and archive this thread to keep our forums organized.

Kind Regards,
Chev
Community Moderator

//Locked & Archived.

Have a question? Feel free to message me.

Feedback | Rules | Support | News | Meet the Team

Archived