VTC tips?

MCIRELAND

Having run a few VTC's previously (most notabley LGO Logistics with over 30 drivers at one point)... You can't do it alone. Have reliable staff that can cover most of the time, turn up to events, have a good standard of driver and presentable trucks (no tacky light bars / pink wheels!). If you look smart out on the road more people are likely to want to join your VTC.

Been there, done that and wore the t-shirt sorta thing (many times may I add for various people and myself). A few tips from myself:

• Be firm. Set clear boundaries and expectations for drivers otherwise they will either feel lost and do what they want, or misbehave and give your company a bad reputation.
  • Let people contribute to the place they work in. Set polls and questionnaires to see what they want next.
  • Have a clear weekly structure, with diversity in itself. By all means have a schedule but make sure to still change it up so it isn't the exact same thing each week.
  • Be involved. Don't be one of those CEO's/Founders that sit back once you have good staff. Be one of the drivers yourself, it will bring you much closer to your team. It will also set a good example for them to follow
  • Echoing Rooty here, reliable staff is a must. Fairly hard these days but it really is invaluable.
  • Keep your drivers in check without scaring them. I'm always really thrilled by VTCs where I never see a driver out of order, messing around. For example, Prime Logistics. Your DRIVERS are your advertisement on the road. Make them good.
  • Finally, offer support where needed. Go that extra mile for them, they will do the same back. Respect them, they will respect you back. 

I give my genuine good luck to your new VTC and hope to see you out on the road sometime! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MCIRELAND,

Thank you for creating a thread on our forum.

It has been 14 days since the last reply. Therefore, this thread is now inactive.

For the reason above, I will lock and archive this thread to keep our forums organized.

Kind Regards,
Chev
Community Moderator

//Locked and Archived.

Have a question? Feel free to message me.

Feedback | Rules | Support | News | Meet the Team

Archived