When turning with your vehicle.

DemonHunter1981

Hello community members I have created this topic to get thoughts and inputs from other drivers who play Euro Truck Simulator 2 while on multiplayer. Now I have noticed a lot that some of the drivers do not properly know how to leave a service station or enter or exit a highway or motorway without hitting something or getting snagged on the guardrail. Sharp turning is simply not an option when you are in a large commercial vehicle like a tractor-trailer. They are much larger then a standard family vehicle and they turning radius is much longer and harder to complete when in tight areas but this is possible with some careful driving and alertness of your vehicle and just how long it is. Example would be leaving the repair shop in the city of Duisburg. You know turning left out of the repair shop is going to be much easier then turning right because of the guardrail and the primary path that most of the traffic is using. When leaving the Duisburg Repair Center you need to get a little more then half way to the guardrail to your left. Once you have determined that you are clear and safe to enter onto the road you should first indicate your intention to turn left or right and proceed slowly out with caution and alertness. While turning you have to consider two things and that is the rear corners of your trailer and the side of it. While turning will the back end get snagged on something and will the side catch something preventing you from moving forward. You have to watch in your mirrors if you prefer to use first person mainly your right side mirror. If you like to use 3rd person again watch the two key factors of your trailer. Your tractor-trailer is fifty-three feet long so turning takes patience and alertness and awareness. If you get snagged on something and you simply can not continue your movement forward please for the sake of everyone when i say this " stop trying and just F7 " because all you are going to do is hold up traffic and cause a huge traffic jam. Before leaving the service center again prejudge your exit. Be alert of the traffic in the area. Be aware of the cargo you are hauling. Is it really heavy? does your truck struggle to take off because of the weight? are you hauling double trailers? what is the length of your primary trailer? These key factors will assist you when it comes to turning your vehicle and its trailer in a tight spot while not encountering any issues. You would not make a sharp turn in real life while in a tractor-trailer so why do it on a computer game? Be mindful of those around you as you are accountable for your account so if anything happens you will be the one to get punished. 
page22figures.jpg

I have to admit, sometimes it happens to me, but it's not because I don't see or can't calculate my distance, it's because of the large number of players present in areas such as the Calais service, where, having many lights and rotaries, in addition to players leaving and entering at the same time the possibility of hooking on a railing or wall, is high just because the FPS go down terribly and by the lights apart sometimes blind spots are generated and that leads to get one hooked up with the trailer, and that's not counting the "fly out in the air" factor by going out in conjunction with another player and that leading to a BUG.

We must pay attention to the surrounding vehicles while turning. If the surrounding vehicles make our transformation difficult, we should ask them to give way. we must thank others for giving way after passing : )

Always be prepared to take a junction wide, not only should you keep an eye on the surroundings but also keep an eye on each mirror as well so keep an eye on the trailer and where it is following.

To not have that small but annoying problem is to adjust their mirrors well so that we can avoid the existence of blind spots and thus get hooked or generate problems with a very closed turn or being able to take someone with them [as happens when you leave a gas station].

I'd also add that a common mistake I see is on those very tight highway entrance ramps that are also exits with an island in the middle.
Far too many people try to use the turning lane when turning right onto them (or left in GB). It is far easier and safer to turn from the center lane than it is from the turning lane, especially with a heavy load or double/triple.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, RickyWong said:

It is far easier and safer to turn from the center lane than it is from the turning lane, especially with a heavy load or double/triple.

But for a standard 3 axle truck with a standard-sized trailer, it's fully possible to make that turn in the entirety of the turn lane with room to spare. Difficult to master, but a worthy skill to learn.

Hello .  Well, let me tell you that you have raised a very interesting topic .... I think that everyone should read it and everyone will find it useful.  Best regards and width! :)

Greetings,
Caramba2412   

TruckersMP Support Team Leader                                                                                                                                  

I use the option shown in figure 2-12, in the OP. But not because I know how to drive very well, it's just that I want to reduce to a minimum the nag I may cause to other drivers, invading the space they're driving on. What I have become used to doing lately is, when entering the destination city, as soon as I see the 'entered the city' indicator on screen, I turn on the security light, so that everyone around me sees me well ahead of time and "understands" I'll be going purposefully slow, I'll *always* use indicators to turn and nod the highbeams to other drivers to thanks them for keeping out of the way when I'm manouvering.

One thing that should be said too, though, is that some drivers tend to not pay atention to slow moving trucks that are manouvering in tight spots and approach at full speed which could lead to stress-peak situations or just flat out ramming. People, if you're arriving into town and see a big bunch of blue dots moving slowly in town, *slow the f#@# down*!!!!!

Cheers,

Pol.

337254467_TruckerMPsignature2(150px).jpg.55bd2a1405f75455b7852f8fe366b199.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 3:29 PM, Reese - Use Caution said:

But for a standard 3 axle truck with a standard-sized trailer, it's fully possible to make that turn in the entirety of the turn lane with room to spare. Difficult to master, but a worthy skill to learn.

Yes, it's possible. But as I said, the suggestion I made is especially true for double/triple trailers and heavy cargo trailers.
Even then, it is still easier to do as I suggested with a single trailer.
Also, I don't particularly appreciate being quote mined, since the full context of what I actually said is important.

Good post. Everyone should  have to read it before being allowed in mp. Many times a day especially when entering or exiting terminals or garage yards you see people getting stuck from their trailer to a fence or railing. Then they spend 5 minutes hopelessly trying to get unstuck blocking everyone before they F7.

I drive a container b-triple that is longer than the hct but i havent had maneuvering problems anywhere. Some smaller city intersections require to drive your truck to the oncoming lane to make the turn but most players seem to respect that. But really the long trucks arent the ones causing the problems. Most players who get stuck are pulling just normal 3 axle semi trailers.

3 hours ago, amatikuski said:

Good post. Everyone should  have to read it before being allowed in mp. Many times a day especially when entering or exiting terminals or garage yards you see people getting stuck from their trailer to a fence or railing. Then they spend 5 minutes hopelessly trying to get unstuck blocking everyone before they F7.

I drive a container b-triple that is longer than the hct but i havent had maneuvering problems anywhere. Some smaller city intersections require to drive your truck to the oncoming lane to make the turn but most players seem to respect that. But really the long trucks arent the ones causing the problems. Most players who get stuck are pulling just normal 3 axle semi trailers.

Thank you for your compliment and choice of words. 

1 hour ago, [WT] Chrizzle_izzda said:

Nice topic!

Pin that :D

Hello and thank you 

Archived