#Stoplightspam#

seth_haveron

Guys what is up with all that Lightspam lately ???   

The Trucks got mostly default DRL´s so whats the point of keeping the Headlights or even the Full Highbeams on at a bright sunny day??  

the pretty much  only thing it does is turning every Garage or Depot in to a FPS sinkhole or a Microlag cluster...

on the road i see the trucks popping up far and very long before i see the reflections of the lights.  

its like i see the trucks form 130meter  and the cone of light form about 90meter of distance ....  so the general visibility remains unaffected whether you turn it on or off ,so thats not a argument for it. 

and I'm almost sure that it only unnecessarily stress the server because it still has to calculate this nonsense

4 hours ago, Chrizzle_izzda said:

I doesn't lightspam and when a other driver lightspam to me, then i think there is a traffic jam or other Attention.

You are mistaking it for "light horn" - a quick flash of high beams, which is used as a way of communication with oncomming traffic or between overtaking vehicles.

IRL, you don't flash your high beams at everyone you pass, only if you want to signal something, but in the game people often choose it as a way to say Hi,

so it's mostly pointless to try warning oncoming traffic about accident that you have passed, cause they just "say" Hi back to you and think nothing of it.

Daylight and night periods differ, depending on your postion on the map, because of geografically correct sun position, also time zones exist in the game.

You are only required to turn on headlights (low beams)

between 21:00 and 5:00 in-game time, though I don't know which time zone this rule reffers to, there are 3 time zones in the game, if I am not mistaken.

This rule is modified while winter mod is supported, because daylight time is shorter and nighs are longer, if you install the mod, so it gets extended from 17:00 to 7:00, or something like that.

You need to press lights button twice to enable headights, first tick only enables parking lights, which are not sufficient while driving, and do not function as DRL.

Keep in mind, some people may be driving in different weather conditions with severely limited visibility, so it helps keeping your headlights on at all times, not just DRL (some old trucks still don't have DRL)

This is perfectly fine in my opinion, and don't cause any significant FPS drops.

However, problems can be caused by people who install ridiculous amount of extra lights an people who don't know what is the difference between low beams and high beams, and have constatly enabled high beams everywhere they go.

If both of these are combined, it's even worse, and if you want to be top dumbass, you throw in some beacons and strobes all over your truck and never turn them off. 

I can't wait for 1.38 update, which will bring graphical changes, including rework of lighting, if that will change something, including high beams becoming even worse factor.

What happens is that it is due to a number of differences between: "light greeting"- "use and abuse of lights"- "signs of lights".

The first are substitutes for few trucks' caps because they are weak and in areas with many players are not heard and replaced by short but intense light greetings.

The second is what they have said before that is to put a ridiculous amount of lights or rotaters on the trucks, being that with a limited amount of these perform the same function as an over-the-number of these. 

And finally the third serves to be able to warn of some situation on the route as some accidents or other problems that can have serious consequences.

Now it is true that in areas with many players it is an FPS sink for that reason, but you should also consider that each player is free to make the modifications you want to your truck and put as many lights as you want but a large majority of them understand that the lights are only for a few occasions and do not abuse lights [whether crossed or high] or rotating; but before if I remember correctly there was a rule that reotes the use of rotaries in areas with  +25 players but over time it will be discontinued, but I don't know what the reasons for its discontinuation, and that criterion may be used with the abuses of lights.

i'm not sure why you are trying to make a science out of it ???

Dortmund 12:15 p.m.

almost cloudless sunny DAY , its so bright you got blinded by the sunlight and reflections  , and still every second dumpbag has the headlights and Highbeams on. 

it takes only 3 of them to turn a Depot into a mess...   

it takes only 5 of them standing at the Garage there to turn it into a Tim Burton like stop motion scenario... 

had been two times in callaies around  15 p.m    jeezz... the same thing ...  headlights everywhere ...   if they would turn them off everyone would win 30-50 fps more ....  

they chat about it almost the whole time ...  a dude had over 200 fps outside  but only 60 inside the city ..... mainly becose  of the headlights.    

but as allways they dont felt adressed...    its more fun to gess where you are going at 15 fps then trying to change it....  

Hello, you are right that sometimes it turns into a free fall of FPS because some players think that it is funny to go around playing with its high lights or its beacons, but other players like, we use these gusts to warn of imminent dangers like a TROLL or someone stopped, or we also use them to make a presence or be noticed in heavy traffic when I drive trucks with a weak horn like MB or IVECO.

That is, some before the change of season [WINTER-SPRING] used high beams or low beams since they had the "winter mod" and made the nights longer and darker, so some used high beams at 7:00 or 10:00 am in the game because with the WM it was still night.

I am one who keeps my headlights on as long as the vehicle is in motion on the road. I am 100% against people running their brights at any time in TMP. My reasons for keeping my headlights on are as follows:

• Weather is not synced. As such, while it may be bright and sunny for me, it may be a rain storm for another player. If they can't see me because my lights are off, who is at fault? Obviously me. Rule-wise, they are. But realistically, I am.
  • Daytime Running Lights law requires headlights if you do not have sufficient DRLs. Not all trucks in the game have proper DRLs. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head is the new Scania R and Scania S.
  • Parking/Running Lights(one L press) is intended for being parked. If your vehicle is in motion, you should not have your parking/running lights on. You should have DRLs on. Again, they're not implemented in ETS2 properly. Headlights are the ideal substitute.
  • Modern vehicles come with automatic headlights. Whether this applies to trucks, I'm not sure. But it's better to be safe than sorry in this industry.

Running auxillary lights + brights is dumb and unnecessary. When you're looking like a train, and it's the middle of the day, and I can see you from across the map, then you're doing it wrong. As for the lights causing lag myth, yes it does cause lag. However, dozens, or tens of dozens of people running headlights is not going to make your 60fps+ game suddenly chug down to 5fps. Even if everyone in Duisburg had their lights off entirely, you'd still drop to 5fps. Meanwhile the rest of us will gladly have every light turned on and still get at least 20fps. It's a hardware issue imo.

Edit: While the server may have to sync whether my lights are on or off, it still has to sync the state. My lights being on does not affect the server. It only affects the client. The server does not render the lights.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, Granite said:

(...)and if you want to be top dumbass, you throw in some beacons and strobes all over your truck and never turn them off. 

(...)

I love the 'alien mothership' looks on those trucks when I meet them on the road!! It's so ridiculous, yet so amusing. And seeing all the dinamic shadows forming from those light while they're moving, it's wonderful. It's a little touch of NFS-Underground-esque thing in a truck sim. It brings your feet back to the ground and remind you it's a game. It wouldn't be allowed to have a truck with that amount of ridiculous beams and beacons on while driving in the real world.

337254467_TruckerMPsignature2(150px).jpg.55bd2a1405f75455b7852f8fe366b199.jpg

What I've noticed is, that even if I only have my daytime running lights on, it apparently looks like I have my high beams on for some players. The reason I've noticed that is, because I drove behind my friend and then turned them on. Then he told me that. Also, many players are honking at me/swerving into my lane if I have them on.

Full highbeams during the day are annoying.

I personally use highbeams to say hi to others drivers, quick highbeams ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived