High RPM shift vs low RPM shift

McLaren2876

I don't know how close to the real thing ETS2 emulates the engines, but for the Volvo engines the maximum torque and best fuel economy is within the 1000-1500 rpm range (the green area).

Maximum horsepower is, if I remember correctly around 1900 rpm for the 750 engine.

But as others have said, this is not about racing.

Are you sure that you chose the right game? All topics you have started are about finding the fastest truck, the one with most acceleration, RPMs for accelerating faster, 6 or 12 gears for better acceleration... Trucks are not supposed to be driven as drag racing cars and TruckersMP is not about racing others. If you really want a challenge, pick any default truck with a mid-range engine and try to drive (hauling all kinds of trailers) for more than 200,000 Km keeping an average fuel consumption below 35 litres/100 Km. Believe it or not, it's 100% doable.

Spoiler
02.25.2020-14.35.09

Those are real numbers, no save-edits, no resets since I first bought the truck. 99.9% of the mileage has been done with WoT external contracts. The truck is a Scania Streamline with the 490 HP Euro6 engine and the Allison 6 gears transmission. Jobs were picked as best paid for distance, usually longer than 1500 Km routes and all kinds of trailers ranging from 3 tons to 24 tons.

Hi,

This is my own opinion as is the other replies 

If you want maximum acceleration there is plenty of racing games out there. I'll assume you are playing to a simulation standard though. Green is for best eco and torque but if you upshift to early you will lose momentum so change on the edge of Green zone. Blue is where if you shift up you will not lose much momentum so that tends to be where i shift gears also note alot of people say blue zone is best if you use retarder. Lastly red zone is well redlining all pain and no gain.

Hope this helps!

@k1v3n You need to play the game some more, that edge of the green zone is bothering me a lot. Automatic transmission in trucks in real life tries to shift as quick as possible, the aim is to drive in the highest gear for the speed at which u are at and when decelerating it tries to stay in the highest gear possible for the speed, that way you go thru gears quicker when accelerating, burn less fuel and put less strain on the engine. If possible 1300-1400rpm is the sweet spot, you'll never drop under 1000rpm, accelerating uphill is different story, just dont stall then. Plus up to 40kmh, trucks work just fine at 900rpm, so up to 40kmh, feel free to change at 1200rpm. I have a Man TGX 480 and i have consumption of 30.1l/100km on it, the rest of my trucks are at 32-34l/100km, so there is something to learn from me. Anyway, you can probably be considered as an above average simulation driver if you stick to the green, all i really wanted to say 1500 is kind of a limit on a normal road and if possible it is good to figure out the engine and see how much under the limit it still pulls, that would save you a ton of money irl.

Between 1000-1500rpm is where you'd have best acceleration as its usually the optimal torque range.
Going into the higher 1500-2000rpm is the higher hp range with less acceleration but good passive engine braking.

2000-2500rpm is the highest range and only used when you need to have to get as much rpm as possible for the next gear, or when you're heavily active engine/exhuast braking, when just normally driving this is just a waste of fuel and un-needed wear for the engine.

cmgeow.pngbanner

@antrax737

28 minutes ago, antrax737 said:

@k1v3n You need to play the game some more, that edge of the green zone is bothering me a lot. Automatic transmission in trucks in real life tries to shift as quick as possible, the aim is to drive in the highest gear for the speed at which u are at and when decelerating it tries to stay in the highest gear possible for the speed, that way you go thru gears quicker when accelerating, burn less fuel and put less strain on the engine. If possible 1300-1400rpm is the sweet spot, you'll never drop under 1000rpm, accelerating uphill is different story, just dont stall then. Plus up to 40kmh, trucks work just fine at 900rpm, so up to 40kmh, feel free to change at 1200rpm. I have a Man TGX 480 and i have consumption of 30.1l/100km on it, the rest of my trucks are at 32-34l/100km, so there is something to learn from me. Anyway, you can probably be considered as an above average simulation driver if you stick to the green, all i really wanted to say 1500 is kind of a limit on a normal road and if possible it is good to figure out the engine and see how much under the limit it still pulls, that would save you a ton of money irl.

i have played the game a fair bit and yes i tend to stick to the green unless overtaking also i play in manual and was making a comment based on what i and others think. Thank you for the tips learn something new everyday. 

First of all, it doesn't make sense to say "This is not a racing game." to someone seeking an answer. It is not up to others to dictate how to play the game. We all pay for the game and everyone has the freedom to play it in a way they like as long as they obey the TMP rules.

In real life, normally you want to shift up early as higher gears consume less fuel. However, if you are looking for the best acceleration, you need to consider torque. It is impossible to give a general RPM as it depends on the engine and gearing. However, you can use a dyno chart of the truck that you are interested in and see the RPM vs Power or RPM vs Torque graphs.

I am just seeking answers not suggestions to be a racer.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:48 PM, [ÖZ DOSTLAR] ONAT - 24 said:

First of all, it doesn't make sense to say "This is not a racing game." to someone seeking an answer. It is not up to others to dictate how to play the game. We all pay for the game and everyone has the freedom to play it in a way they like as long as they obey the TMP rules.

In real life, normally you want to shift up early as higher gears consume less fuel. However, if you are looking for the best acceleration, you need to consider torque. It is impossible to give a general RPM as it depends on the engine and gearing. However, you can use a dyno chart of the truck that you are interested in and see the RPM vs Power or RPM vs Torque graphs.

I'm just seeking answers to my question not suggestion to be a racer.Thanks bro for supporting me OZ DOSTLAR

As said before it is an simulator and I think you get the most fun out of it when you try to drive it as economic and safe/real as possible. So a mid range engine and anticipating driving will ensure a econimic fuel usage. Hauling a 6 ton load with 730hp engine has never been fun or realistic if you ask me ?

But hauling 30-70t loads, as I prefer to do (at least in SP), the Volvo 750hp, with the game setting to Real Automatic, and the box in high-power mode makes it fun and realistic since you can decide the shift-up point by using the throttle, and choose for your self if torque or hp is what you want.

I agree with this 

On 2/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, [LKW Tr.] SgtBreadStick said:

Between 1000-1500rpm is where you'd have best acceleration as its usually the optimal torque range.
Going into the higher 1500-2000rpm is the higher hp range with less acceleration but good passive engine braking.

2000-2500rpm is the highest range and only used when you need to have to get as much rpm as possible for the next gear, or when you're heavily active engine/exhuast braking, when just normally driving this is just a waste of fuel and un-needed wear for the engine.

Follow your dreams, transform your life.

spacer.png

Honestly this comes down to a few factors. (1). What type of cargo are you hauling, (2). what is the terrain like around you, (3). are there lots of stops and goes around or once you get moving can you stay moving. Now honestly another factor is maybe when you are going from a side road to the main interstate. As for myself it all depends on what I am hauling and the truck that I am driving which can handle such high rev's. Higher revs are going to use less fuel honestly because with higher rev's means more miles per hour which means when you shift into the next gear you have plenty of momentum. When you are shifting at low speeds the engine is struggling to stay running and has to use more fuel to raise the engine rev limit and then be allowed to shift into another gear. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived