Constant lag issue (no FPS drop)

oscxrz

Question

A quick summery of what's happening. Quite bad lag spikes that I cannot see so I'm unaware of when it happens, the only reason I found this out is because someone from my VTC mentioned it and when I do have people behind me I see them having to dodge me sometimes because of the issue. It's an ongoing issue that honestly stops me from wanting to attend events as I don't want to ruin it for others, It's not necessarily always in busy area but when I am in busy areas that's when I see people in my mirror having issues even if they do keep appropriate distance. When it happens there's no FPS drop at all. When I'm driving and people come towards me I feel they don't load in soon enough considering I've got it set at max in the tab setting, possibly that could be a part of the issue? At first I thought it was because I was using wireless connection so I managed to get Ethernet but it's still a ongoing issue. 

Specs: 

I5-9400F
GTX 1660
16GB DDR4

Writing here for advice as I've tried everything I could think of (bearing in mind I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to PC's). Messed about with in game graphics, went through the hassle of getting Ethernet (which wasn't easy as it was fed through the walls to my room), reinstalled ETS and the launcher and messing about with tab settings like disabling cabin accessorises, development log, etc. Made sure the games on my SSD, made sure my Graphic driver is up to date which it is and I've also upgraded my internet speeds, getting around 35 download and 7 upload which should be sufficient enough, also making sure the speeds are stable. My ping in game ranges from 25-40 but mostly stable at 30. I also use Shadow play / Geforce experience but I believe that doesn't effect performance.

I have thought about completing wiping my whole PC but don't think there's any point seen as it's about a month old. Oh and before people try to say people should keep distance etc, at the VTC I'm in we keep around 75-100m distance between each other and I'm still causing issues for the person behind me. Before I got this PC I had a basic laptop that I had no issues with in areas that weren't busy, that was also with WiFi. But then again I was at 25% scaling. I upgraded for the pure reason of been able to join a VTC and at least venture into cites with 30+ people without freezing. (Please don't get too technical when replying as I'm not the most clued up on all of this).

Hope I can find a solution sooner or later as I'm stuck for ideas. ?

• Confused 1

11 answers to this question

Sorry to hear about your problem, it seems like a very sticky one.

But, just to summarize that I have understood your problem correctly:

• You don't have or experience problems locally, ie you don't have lag or micro-stutters/freezes that you see on the PC?
  • These delays are always on the remote (server) side, and it is always through what other see, or what you see other do to avoid crashing because of these lags?

Now, I don't know how the MP-client and MP-server communicates but I would guess it is based on something called UDP, and that the ping that we all see is just a basic/dumb ping. (Wrote this so other may correct it if I am wrong).

A normal ping don't tell you much, and nothing about how often the local client (your PC) actually sends updates about you and your position in the game world to the remote side (server). It only tells you how fast the server answers when the PC basically yells "Hello?".

So based on this it is possible that something on your side is interfering with the actual updates sent to the server from the client.
At this point it is more about removing potential sources of errors than finding a solution. Keep in mind that I am doing a huge amount of  guessing/speculating here......

Some pointers, aka how I would approach this kind of problem.

1. I would disable Shadow Play, it may be possible that it effects the updates sent when recording, or even if it is just idling in the background.

2. I would also remove Geforce Experience, and do a clean install and use just the Nvidia drivers.
    (Probably not necessary, but I stopped using GE a long time ago. There are other solutions for recording, like OBS Studio).

3. Do you have any third party security software running that is not part of standard Windows, like a firewall, security suite etc?
    (They may do some checking/inspection of the traffic in/out of your PC, and may have to be configured).

4. Are you directly connected to the internet or do you connect via a router?
    If You use a router is it the same one as you used with the laptop?
    (Reason for asking is that some routers have a function called QoS, Quality of Service, that may interfere with the traffic).

5. What kind of WiFi and Ethernet card are you using?
    (Reason for asking is that some drivers also have a QoS function, I had this problem with some drivers for the Killer cards some time back. Probably not the cause, since you have the same problem with both cards.).

There are some ways of checking what is happening, but they are all pretty technical, so lets keep them for later! :)

Hope this helps.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Good luck 
OaS

1 hour ago, OldAndSlow said:

Sorry to hear about your problem, it seems like a very sticky one.

But, just to summarize that I have understood your problem correctly:

• You don't have or experience problems locally, ie you don't have lag or micro-stutters/freezes that you see on the PC?
  • These delays are always on the remote (server) side, and it is always through what other see, or what you see other do to avoid crashing because of these lags?

Now, I don't know how the MP-client and MP-server communicates but I would guess it is based on something called UDP, and that the ping that we all see is just a basic/dumb ping. (Wrote this so other may correct it if I am wrong).

A normal ping don't tell you much, and nothing about how often the local client (your PC) actually sends updates about you and your position in the game world to the remote side (server). It only tells you how fast the server answers when the PC basically yells "Hello?".

So based on this it is possible that something on your side is interfering with the actual updates sent to the server from the client.
At this point it is more about removing potential sources of errors than finding a solution. Keep in mind that I am doing a huge amount of  guessing/speculating here......

Some pointers, aka how I would approach this kind of problem.

1. I would disable Shadow Play, it may be possible that it effects the updates sent when recording, or even if it is just idling in the background.

2. I would also remove Geforce Experience, and do a clean install and use just the Nvidia drivers.
    (Probably not necessary, but I stopped using GE a long time ago. There are other solutions for recording, like OBS Studio).

3. Do you have any third party security software running that is not part of standard Windows, like a firewall, security suite etc?
    (They may do some checking/inspection of the traffic in/out of your PC, and may have to be configured).

4. Are you directly connected to the internet or do you connect via a router?
    If You use a router is it the same one as you used with the laptop?
    (Reason for asking is that some routers have a function called QoS, Quality of Service, that may interfere with the traffic).

5. What kind of WiFi and Ethernet card are you using?
    (Reason for asking is that some drivers also have a QoS function, I had this problem with some drivers for the Killer cards some time back. Probably not the cause, since you have the same problem with both cards.).

There are some ways of checking what is happening, but they are all pretty technical, so lets keep them for later! :)

Hope this helps.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Good luck 
OaS

I'll give your first two points a go. Currently use Bullguard security software, connection for internet is ethernet cable from router to PC in bedroom, when we upgraded the internet speeds we were given a new router. Last point I don't really understand. As I said above I'm not the most knowledgeable with things like this which might result in me sounding like an idiot to your reply, haha.

Apologies for me being a little bit unclear in the last point.

I was just wondering what kind of brand/model your network cards are.

There are several ways to find that information but the easiest way to find it for the active card is to start Task Manager, click on the Performance tab, and click on Ethernet on the left hand side.
The name of the card will then be displayed up and to the right, like "Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" (an example from one of my machines) or something similar.

I am not familiar with the Bullguard Internet Security, but did a quick check on their website.
The product has a function called "Game Booster", I would look into what that is actually doing.

There is no reason to suspect that Game Booster may be the cause, but as mentioned in my my first post.
At this point it is more about eliminating possible sources for the error than finding a solution.

Cheers
OaS

If you open the console while connected to a server and type "g_developer 16", a window will appear. It displays accurate information about your connection which should be helpful to determine if your connection is indeed the cause of the problem.

I recommend to keep this open and drive around a bit to see if something happens there when you see players behind you trying to dodge you.

To disable that window again, type: g_developer 1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OldAndSlow said:

Apologies for me being a little bit unclear in the last point.

I was just wondering what kind of brand/model your network cards are.

There are several ways to find that information but the easiest way to find it for the active card is to start Task Manager, click on the Performance tab, and click on Ethernet on the left hand side.
The name of the card will then be displayed up and to the right, like "Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller" (an example from one of my machines) or something similar.

I am not familiar with the Bullguard Internet Security, but did a quick check on their website.
The product has a function called "Game Booster", I would look into what that is actually doing.

There is no reason to suspect that Game Booster may be the cause, but as mentioned in my my first post.
At this point it is more about eliminating possible sources for the error than finding a solution.

Cheers
OaS

Not sure if this is correct but it was in the position you mentioned "intel(r) ethernet connection (2) i219-v". As for the BullGuard game booster, I'm going to see if I can turn that off, if not I'll uninstall it.

10 minutes ago, Haulvoc said:

If you open the console while connected to a server and type "g_developer 16", a window will appear. It displays accurate information about your connection which should be helpful to determine if your connection is indeed the cause of the problem.

I recommend to keep this open and drive around a bit to see if something happens there when you see players behind you trying to dodge you.

To disable that window again, type: g_developer 1

I'll go do that now, could you suggest what I should be looking for as a sign that somethings not right?

Also ensure that you are using the latest drivers for your network card.

As far as I am able to check this is the latest driver for the Intel i219-v .

But, please double check, this link points to version 25.0, released 23. jan 2020, also remember to download the right package, ie 64-bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

@Haulvoc

Thanks for the information, useful command to know.

EDIT:

@oscarxr 

Quick control question (you probably did this).

Ensure that your old Wi-Fi card is disabled so all traffic is forced through the Ethernet card.

Here is a guide on how to disable network adapters in Windows 10

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-or-disable-wi-fi-and-ethernet-network-adapters-windows-10

Dug up an older screenshot of it:

https://prnt.sc/r7mkt4

Packetloss and sudden drops in bitrate (blue/green graph) and packets (orange/purple) indicate network issues.

Also; it never hurts to unplug your ethernet cable on both ends and plug them in again. That has solved issues for me on my old motherboard. I think the ethernet port was damaged on that one. Unplugging my ethernet cable and plugging it back in again with some extra force usually fixed my problem, albeit temporarily.

@OldAndSlow You're welcome :)

4 hours ago, OldAndSlow said:

Also ensure that you are using the latest drivers for your network card.

As far as I am able to check this is the latest driver for the Intel i219-v .

But, please double check, this link points to version 25.0, released 23. jan 2020, also remember to download the right package, ie 64-bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

@Haulvoc

Thanks for the information, useful command to know.

EDIT:

@oscarxr 

Quick control question (you probably did this).

Ensure that your old Wi-Fi card is disabled so all traffic is forced through the Ethernet card.

Here is a guide on how to disable network adapters in Windows 10

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-or-disable-wi-fi-and-ethernet-network-adapters-windows-10

@OldAndSlowI'll go do that now, I also did reply to you on Discord with a possible problem, not 100% certain though.

4 hours ago, Haulvoc said:

Dug up an older screenshot of it:

https://prnt.sc/r7mkt4

Packetloss and sudden drops in bitrate (blue/green graph) and packets (orange/purple) indicate network issues.

Also; it never hurts to unplug your ethernet cable on both ends and plug them in again. That has solved issues for me on my old motherboard. I think the ethernet port was damaged on that one. Unplugging my ethernet cable and plugging it back in again with some extra force usually fixed my problem, albeit temporarily.

@OldAndSlow You're welcome :)

@Haulvoc I've got a convoy tomorrow so I'll keep the tab open and possibly record some parts to see what it's looking like. Thanks for the help, hopefully with both of your helpful comments I'll be able to get the issue sorted.

Hello there!

Has your question been answered with the above answer?

Your confirmation of the status of your issue helps us keep the forum always organized!

I await your return!

Sincerely,
Beenz.
TruckersMP - Trial Support

Language: English

Support System | Knowledge Base | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback System

Remember stay positive ❤️

Hello there! :)

Your topic has been inactive for 3 days since the last reply.
Because of inactivity, I will have to move this topic to Inactive Topics.
If you still have any questions about this, feel free to DM me or our Support Team members and we will open this Topic again.

Kind Regards

Linciano

TruckersMP Support

//locked and moved to Inactive Topics.

spacer.png

Hello there,

As this topic has been inactive for a further seven days, we will have to move it to the Unsolved section.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again by creating another topic or via a Support Ticket!

- https://truckersmp.com/support/ticket/create
- https://truckersmp.com/knowledge-base/article/21

Kind Regards,
Jamie R
TruckersMP Support Team.

//Moved to Unsolved.