Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Upgraded GPS / NAV

Scania LTD l Top Bloke

Hello all hope you are all well,

Just a small discussion on some possible improvements or things which I wanna get some additional thoughts / feedback on

We all know the in-cab GPS and its latest addition (voice nav) now whilst these features are absolute luxuries could we extend such luxuries even further??

Real life GPS's include real time traffic which constantly updates whilst you are driving. Whilst driving your route could alter, time could fluctuate up or down and the strength of traffic is shown in different colours [Blue - Moving traffic | Orange - Slowing down or building traffic | Red - Stationary, slow rolling, heavy traffic] 

These features would be really cool in a game where you single handily rely on your GPS to navigate around the map.
Further improvements could include features such as how far away your next junction is and which lanes to be in prior to the junction ~ I feel this would allow a more realistic sense of being more prepared for upcoming junctions and potentially limit last minute lane changes. 

Example 1.1 

image.png.672f39e912e35150e80707af6cfcaf1f.png

In a little window much more detail can be seen on this GPS. 

- Speed Limit

- Distance before turn or manoeuvre 

- Street name / Route Number / HWY or MWY number etc

- Distance from finish

- Time until destination is reached

Now whilst we already have a few of those features wouldn't it be a cool project for modders or members of the Add On team to get behind and perhaps mess around with?

Let me know your thoughts :)

All the best! 

Top Bloke

Kind Regards,

Top Bloke | Scania LTD Director 

Hi, as from the image example there, I don´t think SCS would implement this onto the smaller GPS that´s in-truck, because of the really tiny screen you would only see the speed limit and the distance until maneuvering. Also adding the street names is a really difficult task as there are thousands of roads. BTW, the time until destination is reached (or ETA as is called in-game), distance from finish and speed limit are already shown at the virtual GPS by pressing F3. Althought I like your idea, is really good, but making a person to say every street or HWY for the voice nav would be also complicated. What  I would really ask SCS is to improve the AI traffic.

spacer.png

On 2/23/2020 at 11:09 AM, ZabbeX said:

Hi, as from the image example there, I don´t think SCS would implement this onto the smaller GPS that´s in-truck, because of the really tiny screen you would only see the speed limit and the distance until maneuvering. Also adding the street names is a really difficult task as there are thousands of roads. BTW, the time until destination is reached (or ETA as is called in-game), distance from finish and speed limit are already shown at the virtual GPS by pressing F3. Althought I like your idea, is really good, but making a person to say every street or HWY for the voice nav would be also complicated. What  I would really ask SCS is to improve the AI traffic.

Good day mate :)

As small as the screen is i feel the main feature which would be amazing to be added would be how far until the next turn and what type of turn it is so you have more time to prepare. The additional features would be more for like aesthetic and realistic things and like you say street names would be rather hard - and to debunk that even just city or the nearest city name would be pretty cool. 

The F3 is like alright but its just really annoying how its fixed to the right (or left) of your screen if i could move it so i could put it where id like i wouldnt mind so much but i mainly use the in-cab GPS, hence why all my GPS ideas are more like realistic based. 

As much as the in-cab monitor is rather small it is still readable perhaps just due to my monitor size but i suppose for smaller monitors people may not even bother with the in-cab gps

The picture was simply an example on some things which would be cool or even that sort of set-up wouldnt expect it to be implemented quite like that haha

Kind Regards,

Top Bloke | Scania LTD Director 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the navigation being to small and SCS probably not adding it but I would definitely be happy if they did.

Pretty good idea if you ask me and as already said atleast the distance between the next junction would fit in so yeah just really nice idea.

Have a good day.

Kind regards,

Dogey ? 

Greetings Dogey ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Scania LTD l Top Bloke,

Thank you for creating a thread on our forum.

It has been 14 days since the last reply. Therefore, this thread is now inactive.

For the reason above, I will lock and archive this thread to keep our forums organized.

Kind Regards,
Chev
Community Moderator

//Locked and Archived.

Have a question? Feel free to message me.

Feedback | Rules | Support | News | Meet the Team

Archived