Speed Limit Discussion

Speed Limit  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Should the speed limit be removed?

As I said before: you punished every careful driver.

I could deal with the speed limit on the c-d-route.

Everywhere else it is now really boring driving on "empty roads". On prime time overtake 2 Trucks on a 1.000 km-route doesn't make fun.

Sure. It is a simulator and not a racing game. But without fun, even a simulator becomes worthless.

The only fun is left on C-D with all these stupid drivers who doesn't care the speed limit. 150 km/h, 110 km/h.. even with 60 km/h they drive stupid.

Take a look at Duisburg or Calais...

And please: everyone who drive C-D use this route as a "Idiots on the Road"-Sightseeing-Tour.

Everyone knows the risk of this route.

And that's why this route is such famous.

When you could implement AI traffic outside C-D it would be nice...

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speed offline so the only people you annoy are AI, not real people that would appreciate if you didn't drive like a completely incompetent monkey that overtakes dangerously while speeding down a winding bit of road.

Speed limits are useful to control the havoc that otherwise would happen without it. If you want speed and traffic around you for miles; play offline - I'd appreciate less reckless speeders on the roads that cannot even perform an overtake without cutting their entire trailer into the cab of my truck, thank you very much.

7 hours ago, Hecki said:

Everywhere else it is now really boring driving on "empty roads". On prime time overtake 2 Trucks on a 1.000 km-route doesn't make fun.

I am not sure if this is due to the change of the speed limit but in my opinion the map is constantly growing, so this is why the roads seem to be empty. There is a huge map with many, many different roads and "only" 4,500 players capacity.

Maybe a higher capacity (if possible without reducing the server stability) would solve the problem of feeling alone on the sim servers :) . Personally, I like the speed limits because I am a fan of "simulation" and drive as realistic as I can. That's when I have fun.

1 hour ago, kevpho said:

Speed offline so the only people you annoy are AI, not real people that would appreciate if you didn't drive like a completely incompetent monkey that overtakes dangerously while speeding down a winding bit of road.

Speed limits are useful to control the havoc that otherwise would happen without it. If you want speed and traffic around you for miles; play offline - I'd appreciate less reckless speeders on the roads that cannot even perform an overtake without cutting their entire trailer into the cab of my truck, thank you very much.

The same can be said basically for those who constantly whine about reckless drivers. Why are you even playing multiplayer if reckless driving bothers you so much (Considering that most players are reckless in one way or the other)? You can always play singleplayer with AI and you will never get cut off 

40 minutes ago, Polyxena [GER] said:

I am not sure if this is due to the change of the speed limit but in my opinion the map is constantly growing, so this is why the roads seem to be empty. There is a huge map with many, many different roads and "only" 4,500 players capacity.

Maybe a higher capacity (if possible without reducing the server stability) would solve the problem of feeling alone on the sim servers :) . Personally, I like the speed limits because I am a fan of "simulation" and drive as realistic as I can. That's when I have fun.

Ok consider this example. You're driving alone on the highway towards a certain city at maximum possible speed (110 km/h). Every 1 km in front of you there's another truck also moving in the same speed and going in the same destination. If the city is 400 km away from you, there could be up to 400 trucks ahead of you. Will you or any of these trucks ever see each other? Will any of these trucks interact with each other in some way? No. The most possible outcome is that you'll probably never find out about them anyway. You'll simply end up arriving in a city full of trucks but along the way nobody would have encounter any traffic whatsoever. Is this realistic? Is this even fun? 

So we can come to the conclusion here that unless you're driving with a convoy, a VTC or friends there's no reason to drive on the highway. Assuming that most players are driving solo in this game, you have a big % of the playerbase not willing to drive on the highway. So the best route to drive and encounter other players is the C-D road.

So the game itself redirects traffic to the C-D road. At the same time, the game is trying to find solutions to the C-D road problem. How's that make any sense?

26 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Ok consider this example. You're driving alone on the highway towards a certain city at maximum possible speed (110 km/h). Every 1 km in front of you there's another truck also moving in the same speed and going in the same destination. If the city is 400 km away from you, there could be up to 400 trucks ahead of you. Will you or any of these trucks ever see each other? Will any of these trucks interact with each other in some way? No. The most possible outcome is that you'll probably never find out about them anyway. You'll simply end up arriving in a city full of trucks but along the way nobody would have encounter any traffic whatsoever. Is this realistic? Is this even fun? 

I am sorry but I don't really think your argumentation is good. As you may have noticed, there is always more than just ONE direction. So normally, when I am driving on highways I see some trucks coming from the opposite way and sometimes they even GREET me (with horns or lights). So I would answer your question "Will any of these trucks interact with each other in some way" with a big YES! When someone is driving recklessly I even try to communicate via radio (not insulting, but trying to get a little bit of roleplay in a simulation game like "man are u drunk?" or "Is your truck too heavy to control?"). Last christmas I had a stream counting the amounts of "happy christmas" I received via radio (in german) and it was touching to see how many nice people there are on the roads of TMP sharing christmas feelings with each other (and no I didn't mention my stream via tag or sth like this). If people don't want to interact with each other why are they even playing multiplayer?

It is correct that most of the time you won't see many trucks on your side of the road (except being in a convoy) but when more players are driving in general, then you should also see more drivers on the opposite lane shouldn't you? Furthermore you can encounter other players on gas stations, resting areas and so on.

So I don't know how you play this game but when you say "the best route to drive and encounter other players is the C-D road" then I can imagine what kind of player you are. The one who doesn't really care about the "simulation" or "respectful" part of ETS but want to have fun by seeing people crashing into each other, getting angry when they got hit or finally just want some "action" on the roads.

Finally, I don't see any good arguments so far to higher or even delete the speed limits.

55 minutes ago, Polyxena [GER] said:

I am sorry but I don't really think your argumentation is good. As you may have noticed, there is always more than just ONE direction. So normally, when I am driving on highways I see some trucks coming from the opposite way and sometimes they even GREET me (with horns or lights). So I would answer your question "Will any of these trucks interact with each other in some way" with a big YES! When someone is driving recklessly I even try to communicate via radio (not insulting, but trying to get a little bit of roleplay in a simulation game like "man are u drunk?" or "Is your truck too heavy to control?"). Last christmas I had a stream counting the amounts of "happy christmas" I received via radio (in german) and it was touching to see how many nice people there are on the roads of TMP sharing christmas feelings with each other (and no I didn't mention my stream via tag or sth like this). If people don't want to interact with each other why are they even playing multiplayer?

It is correct that most of the time you won't see many trucks on your side of the road (except being in a convoy) but when more players are driving in general, then you should also see more drivers on the opposite lane shouldn't you? Furthermore you can encounter other players on gas stations, resting areas and so on.

So I don't know how you play this game but when you say "the best route to drive and encounter other players is the C-D road" then I can imagine what kind of player you are. The one who doesn't really care about the "simulation" or "respectful" part of ETS but want to have fun by seeing people crashing into each other, getting angry when they got hit or finally just want some "action" on the roads.

Finally, I don't see any good arguments so far to higher or even delete the speed limits.

When i'm talking about interaction, i mean driving interaction. I'm not in the game to honk at every other truck that goes the opposite direction than me. Driving interaction comes either by overtaking or by responding to other driver's actions (like braking because of traffic). This is after all a driving game.

Since you jumped to conclusions about my driving let me make some assumptions about you aswell.

When you say, you enjoy the simulation part of ETS i can only assume you enjoy driving in a controlled environment where nothing unpredictable ever happens. Considering that the number one attribute of the human factor is unpredictability and since your comment shows no tolerance to human mistakes, i would advise you to stay away from multiplayer and enjoy the singleplayer instead with AI Traffic. In case you still wanna play on multiplayer, i would also advise you to stop complaining about reckless driving since it's part of playing with other people.

Last but not least, the argument i gave you takes away immersion from the game. That might not be clear to you, but it's certainly clear to the majority of the playerbase and it's one of the reasons the speed limit has ruined remote and long-distance driving.

@Random_Truck_Driver Okay, I guess there are some misunderstandings (maybe caused by my bad english skills?). Because of this I want to invest some more time in a more understandable answer to your both comments:

2 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Ok consider this example. You're driving alone on the highway towards a certain city at maximum possible speed (110 km/h). Every 1 km in front of you there's another truck also moving in the same speed and going in the same destination. If the city is 400 km away from you, there could be up to 400 trucks ahead of you

• Back to the argument "when everyone is driving with exact the same speed you will never see another driver"

-> This is not very realistic because not every player is driving with 110 km/h (60 km/h in cities). There are also people driving after the local speed limits by watching the traffic signs (then you could have like 20 - 60 km/h difference to the people driving with 110 km/h) or people making World of Trucks orders (= 90 km/h max = 20 km/h difference to the 110 km/h).

-> Furthermore the "problem" you mentioned won't be fixed by removing the speed limit or setting it higher. Because then on the one hand (imagine having a speed limit of 180 km/h) the people driving on max speed limit will still driving on max speed limit and you won't see them either way and on the other hand you'll have another problem with people not able to control their truck on high speed (= more accidents -> more mad people -> more reports for the staff -> more bans -> less players -> less drivers you see on your way to your next destination).

-> This leads me back to my conclusion, that not the speed limit but the "small" amount of players on a huge map (if you have DLCs) is the bigger problem here.

So we can come to the conclusion here that unless you're driving with a convoy, a VTC or friends there's no reason to drive on the highway. Assuming that most players are driving solo in this game, you have a big % of the playerbase not willing to drive on the highway.

• This is in my opinion a very confusing argument. Why should there be no reason to drive on highways? Most of the time when I have a load I drive on the highway (because my navigation system leads me through the highways unless I change the route via map). So in general there should be more people on the highways than on side roads or am I wrong?
  • I personal encounter more other drivers on highways than on side roads.

So the best route to drive and encounter other players is the C-D road.

So the game itself redirects traffic to the C-D road. At the same time, the game is trying to find solutions to the C-D road problem. How's that make any sense?

• This leads me to the question what do you prefer: Encountering many other people no matter if you can manage to bring your load successfully to your destination or not OR to encounter less people but managing to play the game correctly (= bringing loads from A to B as fast as you can without dmg to get the full amount of payment)?
  • People driving on the C-D road mostly drive there not because they want to meet some friendly drivers doing their "job" , but to appear in one of these (in my opinion) stupid YouTube videos. It seems that their interpretation of "having a good time" in ETS2 consists of having as many accidents as possible and getting other people tilted. I am sorry that I assumed you being one of those "troublemakers", this wasn't fair and objective.

1 hour ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

When you say, you enjoy the simulation part of ETS i can only assume you enjoy driving in a controlled environment where nothing unpredictable ever happens. Considering that the number one attribute of the human factor is unpredictability and since your comment shows no tolerance to human mistakes, i would advise you to stay away from multiplayer and enjoy the singleplayer instead with AI Traffic

• For me personally the simulation part consists of trying to deliver goods as fast as possible (regarding the traffic signs and their speed limits) and as safe as possible to the customers. On my way from A to B I experience many different things like "human mistakes" (which I also do sometimes cause....hey....I am human as well dude ;) ), accidents on highways, conversation via CB (sometimes a little bit roleplay within CB), drivers having a break on the sideline of the highways or even in the middle of the road :D , meeting people within cities / on gas stations and much more!
  • So for me the multiplayer is important because I like to meet new friendly people who share the same hobby (= playing simulation games) and I like the "unpredictable" part of human nature. But when you drivae on C-D I guarantee you there is nothing really unpredictable but a huge amount of players sitting there hours for hours hoping they don't get smashed by others (or maybe they do...who knows ^^).

1 hour ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

In case you still wanna play on multiplayer, i would also advise you to stop complaining about reckless driving since it's part of playing with other people.

• I wonder then why there is a rule on this forum, that reckless driving is forbidden on multiplayer (see https://truckersmp.com/rules §2.5) ;) .
  • For me there is a huge difference between "human mistakes" (e.g. someone forgot to signal and turned right immediately without noticing that another driver is besides him) and reckless driving (e.g. seeing that the traffic lights are red, ignoring it and crashing with 60 km/h into another driver).
  • So as a player on TMP it is my right to "complain" or even report reckless driving because it is against the rules and not "part of playing with other people". What your are saying here is pretty egoistic and wrong.

I hope I could explain myself better this time and nevertheless wish you a nice thursday evening and hope you are not right with your last sentence, that "it's certainly clear to the majority of the playerbase and it's one of the reasons the speed limit has ruined remote and long-distance driving." . Because I still hope the majority of players want to have a respectful and relaxed environment within multiplayer simulation games :) .

3 hours ago, Polyxena [GER] said:

Back to the argument "when everyone is driving with exact the same speed you will never see another driver"

-> This is not very realistic because not every player is driving with 110 km/h (60 km/h in cities). There are also people driving after the local speed limits by watching the traffic signs (then you could have like 60 - 20 km/h difference to the people driving with 110 km/h) or people making World of Trucks orders (= 90 km/h max = 20 km/h difference to the 110 km/h).

-> Furthermore the "problem" you mentioned won't be fixed by removing the speed limit or setting it higher. Because then on the one hand (imagine having a speed limit of 180 km/h) the people driving on max speed limit will still driving on max speed limit and you won't see them either way and on the other hand you'll have another problem with people not able to control their truck on high speed

-> This leads me back to my conclusion, that not the speed limit but the "small" amount of players on a huge map (if you have DLCs) is the bigger problem here.

-> We're discussing the highway not the cities.

A truck's speed is highly affected by its cargo weight. But the 110 km/h is a speed that's very easy to reach for almost any truck at any cargo. Within the first minute you're in the highway, you've reached the speed limit. And the majority of players drive at the highest possible speed. The problem didn't exist without the speed limit because cargo affects the speed especially after 130 km/h. That gives a variety of speed in the highway from 130 km/h to 150-160 km/h which is the top speed. Thus more variety in speeds leading to more encounters on your deliveries.

-> (= more accidents -> more mad people -> more reports for the staff -> more bans -> less players -> less drivers you see on your way to your next destination).

I could argue the exact same thing. Speed limit and strict punishments -> even less drivers to encounter to your next destination. The punishment system never seemed to affect the playerbase until before the "Road to Simulation".

I've been playing this game since 2016. Please tell me why i didn't have that issue until after the speed limit. If you're driving your entire playtime at 90 km/h you won't notice a difference. But if you don't, then you'll notice a big difference and your gaming experience is ruined.

This is in my opinion a very confusing argument. Why should there be no reason to drive on highways? Most of the time when I have a load I drive on the highway (because my navigation system leads me thorugh the highways unless I change the route via map). So in general there should be more people on the highways than on side roads or am I wrong?

I personal encounter more other drivers on highways than on side roads.

You're not representing the average TMP player so stop picking yourself as an example. The empty highway example regards your side of the road, not the opposite side. And yes you might encounter a truck in a gas station. But last i checked this is a driving game, and you're supposed to encounter other trucks when driving. The example i gave you above is the reason most people choose to ignore long highway driving. Because Even if the highway is full of trucks, you'll never know.

People driving on the C-D road mostly drive there not because they want to meet some friendly drivers doing their "job" , but to appear in one of these (in my opinion) stupid YouTube videos. It seems that their interpretation of "having a good time" in ETS2 consists of having as many accidents as possible and getting other people tilted. I am sorry that I assumed you being one of those "troublemakers", this wasn't fair and objective.

Based on what you say, i doubt that you even know what the situation on C-D road is. You simply came to a conclusion based on what you've read in this forum and what you've seen on youtube. The C-D road is a great representation of the truckersmp community. Most people will drive somewhat careful and won't cause problems. Like you said, everybody will make a mistake here and there. Then there are players who will make reckless overtakes and will be impatient by slower trucks. Still they might cause issues but not so much in the long run. If you drive defensively you won't have a problem with them. Last there's a small percentage of trolls who will overtake huge traffic lines, block people on purpose etc. 

The problem exists because If you add every troll, every reckless action and every little mistake being done by players + lag to a small country road like C-D then the result to the outside viewer is a road full of trolls and accidents. But it's not really. This forum simply makes the C-D road look far faar worse than what it really is. Most players that drive through there are not trolls or idiots as this forum thinks. Most of them are there because they wanna have a realistic driving experience and they certainly won't find that in an empty highway where they might encounter one truck going their way in 10 minutes drive. 

This leads me to the question what do you prefer: Encountering many other people no matter if you can manage to bring your load successfully to your destination or not OR to encounter less people but managing to play the game correctly (= bringing loads from A to B as fast as you can without dmg to get the full amount of payment)?

I prefer feeling that i'm playing this game with other players and not alone. I don't enjoy driving solo on the highway. I prefer driving in a country road and be challenged to drive carefully because of the accidents instead of driving in a dead-empty highway honking on the trucks going the opposite way. Secondly, there's no real gain in the game because anyone can cheat for money and xp, i don't really care to bring my cargo with 0% damage and gain something that has zero value in the game and anyone can have millions of it.

I wonder then why there is a rule on this forum, that reckless driving is forbidden on multiplayer 

Because you want to encourage players to drive properly. That being said, you shouldn't enforce a driving culture. Personally i think that the entire system in TMP is deeply flawed and it only serves as a wall between the players and the game. At least the old upper staff understood how things were.

For me there is a huge difference between "human mistakes" (e.g. someone forgot to signal and turned right immediately without noticing that another driver is besides him) and reckless driving (e.g. seeing that the traffic lights are red, ignoring it and crashing with 60 km/h into another driver).

That's one of few cases that the reporting system is actually worth having. If someone crosses a red light in traffic, then he deserves a ban because it's certainly intentional. But besides trolling behavior, you can't be certain that reckless driving is intentional or unintentional most of the time. What if you drive in the country road and someone from the different direction crashes on you? How can you tell, it was intentional or not? He might checked his phone for a second and lost control. Or his pc froze for 2 seconds and he couldn't react. What about lag? There's not a huge difference between human mistakes and reckless driving. It's a thin line and most of the time unless it's clearly intentional, you can't and shouldn't be certain.

This is a gray area conversation, and that's why the current reporting system is flawed. Because it punishes players based on one perspective. 

True, when there was no speed limiter people was not limited to the same speed so you was able to see people overtaking you etc. now im rarely seeing any people on 3,000km routes, without the speed limiter i was able to actually see people and i was not feeling "alone"

Let's say 208 people are happier, 783 people are happier? Think of it this way: should 208 people play this game or 783 people play this game? Of course, 783 people should play. 208 people are too few for TMP. If we give the TMP such an option, 783 will resign if the request is not made, but it will only play 208. TMP will select 783 people. The following can be done: The speed limit can remain the same in very crowded cities and highways like Calais and Duisburg. On some highways that are not too full, the speed limit should be increased or removed. Game managers say: If there is no speed limit, accidents will be higher. Tell me, isn't it the rulers' job to punish criminals? This is a simulation game yes. Whatever you do, there will be an accident. Without speed limit or accident, the game manager would not be. This is the task of managers to prevent accidents. The number of managers is less, more managers, better driving. Administrators of Calais Duisburg should enter very often. If they cannot, more managers should be recruited. Wouldn't it be better if Calais and duisburg had more managers?

Either get more managers in the game or remove the speed limit in empty spaces !!!
I'm not insulting anyone, this is my opinion !!!

15 hours ago, kevpho said:

If we wanted to play offline, we would not be on this site.

13 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

I've been playing this game since 2016. Please tell me why i didn't have that issue until after the speed limit.

• Easy, as I already said at least two times: map is growing. This is in my opinion the real problem here and not the speed limit. In 2016 there haven't been so many DLCs / map extensions as nowadays.

If you're driving your entire playtime at 90 km/h you won't notice a difference. But if you don't, then you'll notice a big difference and your gaming experience is ruined.

• Okay then why aren't you just driving 10 or 20 km/h less than the max speed? Seems like the problem you are describing is just personal :) . Drive 90 km/h and have a better game experience, voilá!

You're not representing the average TMP player so stop picking yourself as an example.

• Funny you are saying that, because you are the one telling that "The example i gave you above is the reason most people choose to ignore long highway driving", "but it's certainly clear to the majority of the playerbase and it's one of the reasons the speed limit has ruined remote and long-distance driving" or "And the majority of players drive at the highest possible speed.". I never said that my experience or my thoughts are standard, please read my comments carefully.
  • How do you even know what "the majority of players" wants or not? Because of a poll where ~800 users (of in prime time around 6.000 - 8.000 players ingame) say they don't like the speed limits? Dude this isn't even a quarter of the full playerbase! So don't assume you know the needs / opinions of the majority.

1 hour ago, Polyxena [GER] said:
  • Easy, as I already said at least two times: map is growing. This is in my opinion the real problem here and not the speed limit. In 2016 there haven't been so many DLCs / map extensions as nowadays.

Yes, the map is growing indeed but simply looking at ets2map will make you understand what i'm saying. Just take a look at the highways in western Europe. They are not empty. They have players driving, yet if you notice most of the trucks going in the same direction never meet each other. The map being vast is just not good enough of an excuse.

• Okay then why aren't you just driving 10 or 20 km/h less than the max speed? Seems like the problem you are describing is just personal :) . Drive 90 km/h and have a better game experience, voilá!

Because i don't like driving at 90 km/h. I don't even like driving at 110 km/h. I don't like knowing that my engine has much more power to give but is limited by the game. Like i said, just because you like driving at 90 km/h, does not mean it applies to everyone. Personally i find it pretty boring and i guess most people do aswell.

Funny you are saying that, because you are the one telling that "The example i gave you above is the reason most people choose to ignore long highway driving", "but it's certainly clear to the majority of the playerbase and it's one of the reasons the speed limit has ruined remote and long-distance driving" or "And the majority of players drive at the highest possible speed.". I never said that my experience or my thoughts are standard, please read my comments carefully.

How do you even know what "the majority of players" wants or not? Because of a poll where ~800 users (of in prime time around 6.000 - 8.000 players ingame) say they don't like the speed limits? Dude this isn't even a quarter of the full playerbase! So don't assume you know the needs / opinions of the majority.

Ok. Let's begin with the basics. Do you know how statistics work? If you do, then you understand that this vote represents the opinion of the playerbase regarding the speed limit. A vote within the server would have the same results with a small marginal error which still won't change the result at all. That's how polls work.

So i don't simply assume i know the needs / opinions of the majority. I have a poll to back me up. 

And yes like i said most people choose to drive on the C-D road instead the highway, because there's no (driving) interaction on the highway and it feels boring.

9 hours ago, Roki100 said:

True, when there was no speed limiter people was not limited to the same speed so you was able to see people overtaking you etc. now im rarely seeing any people on 3,000km routes, without the speed limiter i was able to actually see people and i was not feeling "alone"

you rarely see them because there are so many less.
  i used to drive a lot of deliveries over 3000 km since the speed limit i only do deliveries from 300 to 500 km in populated areas and i find out that a lot of people do the same thing they are too scared by the distance to do since the speed limit was reduced

What's about this suggestion that on the EU1 Server is the Speedlimit 150 km/h and at the high busy areas is the speedlimit 110 km/h. I'm thinking about like the "Restricted Zone for Double Trailers" https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/75742-restricted-zone-for-double-trailers/

If you enter the Area, there is like a message like you enter a city and it says "you enter the high busy area, current Speedlimit 110 km/h" something like that. (maybe in addition the players will spread out of the D-C road and explore the map idk if its good or not)

and of course the speedlimit in city's has to stay!

I would add also a Speedlimit at 15+ players near to your. It will show up also a message like: "15+ players currently near to you, current Speedlimit 110 km/h"

But why 15? Its about that, that if you drive in a convoi i think you only can see something arround 10-12 players near to you on highspeed on the road but if the convoi slow down the players in the convoi won't hold much distance to each other anymore so the players in the Tap-list will be extended over 15 players so you have a speedlimit on 110 km/h. Also if you driving 150 on the highway and there is a convoi infront of you, you will be slowed down by the game to max. 110/h and if you overtook it, you can drive 150 again. It sounds very strange but i think it a suggestion to be developed by the community :) 

Maybe also the speedlimit will be activated starting from 10+ players. So its definitely upgradeable ;) 

The speed limit is set for a reason. If you don't like playing with a speed limit you can use the other servers that have this turned off. I for one along with many others think the speed limit is a great part of the server. It helps in reducing the amount of speed related crashes as well as reduces the amount of trolling someone can do if they can barley go faster than the average player. 

TruckerPilot

Report a player Rules - Staff recruitment - Feedback - Help - Bug Report - Suggestions

First,
Speed does not cause accidents if you use it wisely. Even with stupid 60 km / h someone can drive you backwards, sideways or whatever. He can have a guest even cheats, and this limiter won't give you anything.
Secondly,
When it comes to skoda grip, I can only say that one guy from the modding scene did the skoda so well that he stays on the road like a benefit gypsy.
Thirdly,
The vast majority are in favor of removing the delimiter.
If you say that some players want this limitation, let them have their own server, as it used to be. EU1 had a 90 km / h limiter and collisions, and EU2 had no speed limit and also had collisions. So I don't understand what the problem is, apart from the constipation of TruckersMP moderators. We, those who would like to drive more than 110 km / h would have their own server, and those who would like to drive in accordance with reality would have their own server. This is the simplest solution that was used during the first years of TMP and it was good, unfortunately someone broke it and the handful of people who want to ride faster have no place for themselves. And don't disconnect from the Arcade server because it has nothing to do with what these people expect. Too few places for players and no collision is reason enough not to use this server.
Have a good day :)

Just glancing at the replies I have a possible solution.  What if we keep the current speed limits but add a higher speed limit on big motorways/highways?  This higher limit shouldn't apply to busy roads like Calais - Duisburg but it would mean that people who want to go fast have places they can.  I'm not a fan of the yes or no poll since if speed limits were completely removed it would probably turn into complete chaos.

*Also, I hate the argument that 'you should just go play on another server' because the no collisions servers are usually pretty much empty and any time you do see people they are driving through each other which just takes away from the whole experience.

Ah, the eternal dispute. Speed Limit or not. Safety vs Immersion. The solution is pretty simple though. Keep everything as is in Western Europe and remove the speed limit in all DLC areas. Safety is not an issue in areas that have no players anyway. And DLC roads are better than vanilla roads. They're built for greater speeds than Western Europe.

Don't believe me? Here's a casual drive of me doing the Odense to Oslo route in 9 minutes with a car driving at maximum speed (No crashes) in the arcade server (No wonder why i didn't see a single truck in the entire route). Anyone claiming that the speed limit is for safety will be fine with it. And anyone claiming that you can't have control over a car at high speeds can simply watch the video below. (In case you do watch it, do so at 2x playback speed)

23 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

And anyone claiming that you can't have control over a car at high speeds can simply watch the video below.

I watched your video and have some points I'd like to critise:

• you chose a trip with a pretty straight road / highway where it is not that hard "controlling" his vehicle at higher speed
  • as you mentioned before you haven't seen a single truck / other car on your trip. But normally on a Sim 1 EU server you'll definitely have some contact with other players maybe driving 80 - 100 km/h on their route, especially when they are doing WOT contracts. So this example does not prove that you can handle high speed like 150+ km/h on a server that is more popular (and you wish higher speed for the more popular servers don't you?)
  • at for example 0:26 - 0:32, 2:22 - 2:27, 2:35 - 2:39, 3:10 & 4:05 - 4:12 you were not able to stay on your lane due to the high speed of 140 - 200 km/h (this doesn't really look like you have the "control" ? )

Regarding this video I doubt it is possible to drive safely (without any accidents) on a Sim 1 EU server no matter if it's in a DLC area or not. The past few days I drove only in the area of the "Beyond the Baltic Sea"-DLC and every day I had some trucks (not many, but the amount doesn't really matter when you are talking about safety) overtaking me or passing my way on crossroads, etc.

Furthermore I cannot understand how you can know in which area are players and in which aren't (because you said "in areas that have no players anyway"). It can happen at any time, that one player spawns in a remote area or drive through it. You can't foresee it! And one single accident can cause the fail of your or your opponent's contract and in worst case you can get banned for causing the accident. Is this even worth for some minutes of fun by driving with high speed? In my opinion it is not.

1 hour ago, Polyxena [GER] said:

I watched your video and have some points I'd like to critise:

• you chose a trip with a pretty straight road / highway where it is not that hard "controlling" his vehicle at higher speed
  • as you mentioned before you haven't seen a single truck / other car on your trip. But normally on a Sim 1 EU server you'll definitely have some contact with other players maybe driving 80 - 100 km/h on their route, especially when they are doing WOT contracts. So this example does not prove that you can handle high speed like 150+ km/h on a server that is more popular (and you wish higher speed for the more popular servers don't you?)
  • at for example 0:26 - 0:32, 2:22 - 2:27, 2:35 - 2:39, 3:10 & 4:05 - 4:12 you were not able to stay on your lane due to the high speed of 140 - 200 km/h (this doesn't really look like you have the "control" ? )

Regarding this video I doubt it is possible to drive safely (without any accidents) on a Sim 1 EU server no matter if it's in a DLC area or not. The past few days I drove only in the area of the "Beyond the Baltic Sea"-DLC and every day I had some trucks (not many, but the amount doesn't really matter when you are talking about safety) overtaking me or passing my way on crossroads, etc.

Furthermore I cannot understand how you can know in which area are players and in which aren't (because you said "in areas that have no players anyway"). It can happen at any time, that one player spawns in a remote area or drive through it. You can't foresee it! And one single accident can cause the fail of your or your opponent's contract and in worst case you can get banned for causing the accident. Is this even worth for some minutes of fun by driving with high speed? In my opinion it is not.

• Almost every route in the Scandinavia DLC is like that if you're on the highway. Highways in the DLCs are much better designed than those in Western Europe. Turns are smoother and thus it looks like it's a pretty straight road. So yeah that's my entire argument, thanks for acknowledging it. 
  • On sim 1 in best case scenario i would meet roughly 1-2 trucks. I have done this route on Sim 1 and it's pretty boring. 
  • I didn't pay too much attention in staying between the lines because there's no point in staying between the lines if there are 0 people in your area. If there were other trucks i would have been more careful.

Ok, First of all, overtaking is allowed.

The rule clearly states that overtaking is inappropriate in an area of extremely low FPS and/or in areas with large amounts of traffic, overtaking resulting in an accident or anything similar. This also includes overtaking on any one-lane in each direction road where there is excessive traffic such as a traffic jam. Areas with a large amount of traffic are considered to be 25+ players.

And the Baltic DLC areas hardly ever have 25+ players in one place. 

Furthermore if you click tab it shows the players in your session (basically the area around you). I also join ets2map.com from my tablet and watch the traffic and anytime i know where i'm at and if there are any trucks in my area. 

Last but not least like so many players have argued before me, accidents are what make the game a bit more fun. It's the unpredictability that makes multiplayer better than the singleplayer. If you don't like accidents, then you shouldn't play on multiplayer anyway because humans make mistakes and crashing is within multiplayer. In the end, that's what makes it different than driving with AI.

^ Last but not least like so many players have argued before me, accidents are what make the game a bit more fun. It's the unpredictability that makes multiplayer better than the singleplayer. If you don't like accidents, then you shouldn't play on multiplayer anyway because humans make mistakes and crashing is within multiplayer.

Yeah seeing your profile you indeed had fun before, but nonetheless that video doesn't show anything, yeah straight roads its really impressive, now do a C-D drive with that speed, and you will find out cuz most do drive there actually. 

Just now, [S.PLH]Warrior said:

^ Last but not least like so many players have argued before me, accidents are what make the game a bit more fun. It's the unpredictability that makes multiplayer better than the singleplayer. If you don't like accidents, then you shouldn't play on multiplayer anyway because humans make mistakes and crashing is within multiplayer.

Yeah seeing your profile you indeed had fun before, but nonetheless that video doesn't show anything, yeah straight roads its really impressive, now do a C-D drive with that speed, and you will find out cuz most do drive there actually. 

You talk for the sake of talking. I mentioned to remove the speed limit in DLC areas. Last i checked the C-D road is not one of them. But as long as i have both lanes available for driving i can still drive at that speed 

Archived