Speed Limit Discussion

Speed Limit  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Should the speed limit be removed?

1 hour ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

The given example given is misleading, because it does not describe necessary details about the truck, the trailer, the load, the steepness of the turn, and the like. Furthermore, you hide the fact that SCS offers the option to adjust stability of truck and trailer which also influences the outcome of the described scenario.

Thanks for giving me another example of "not a simulation game". If i can have different settings from another player and play in the same server there's no point in arguing whether it's a simulation or not. Because it isn't. A simulation would mean that all players get the same settings regarding stability and braking at least.It's one more reason why this game is not a simulation. Every truck should have its own settings universally in the server. If i can have full brake intensity and the driver behind has 0 brake intensity then if i brake hard he'll end up crashing on me. So far the game won't even simulate rain for all players. Maybe we should fix the actual issues first before trying to enforce the speed limit culture.

A bold and far-fetched claim without any proof provided. How can you tell that players do not keep themselves busy with other things while they are in quaratine?

I've been playing this game since 2017. The past year we kept seeing the playerbase massively growing to the point that at a certain period they kept increasing server space every other month. The last 3-4 months all i'm seeing during rush hour is servers not reaching their cap with high queues like they used to. I don't need to keep count of graphs to present you with facts. All i'm seeing is the trend and that's certainly a clue as to where the game is going.

The highways are empty because of many players prefer to populate infamous areas as the road between Duisburg and Calais. And this has been the case before the speed limit was reduced to 110 kph.
Do we really want to attract players who mistake this simulator with a racing game at all?

If it is difficult or not even possible for you to overtake in a safe manner, why would you try anyway?

First of all, the highway is empty because there's no point taking long distance jobs because you'll end up driving alone in a highway with not a slight chance of ever reaching another truck because that truck is driving at 110 km/h and so are you. Thus the highway looks empty even if there are 500 trucks ahead of you in the next 500 meters. Secondly people play this game because they want interaction. Since the highway no longer provides that they end up filling the country roads.

And it certainly is not a racing game either.

https://truckersmp.com/blog/200

The staff does not share your opinion as it seems.

Overtaking does not make it a racing game and allowing players to control their speeds is certainly more realistic than providing them with trucks that suffocate at 110 km/h. To your point SCS offers the option to drive fast so they probably understand that their physics allow such speeds. 

If you want it to simulate real life, you can to do your part by considering driving times and resting periods, adjusting truck and trailer settings, follow speed limits and road signage and the like.

I want the game to be exactly what it is. If the game was realistic, then everyone would adapt to that. The reason that people drove at high speeds before the speed limit is because they could. I don't like when the admins enforce rules that go against the nature of their game. If it was a simulation, people wouldn't be able to drive at such speeds and thus they would adapt to the game. You can't argue about "realism" and at the same time worsening the user experience. 

Edit:

If it is difficult or not even possible for you to overtake in a safe manner, why would you try anyway?

Because besides top speed, there's also a thing called acceleration. So if my acceleration is better than yours, then i can try to safely overtake you. The game simply makes it more difficult by making everyone moving as a robot in the same speed.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, the TMP had a great reason to be putting the speed limiter, which after all not all players play correctly and safely. That is just my opinion and my point of view on the subject mentioned.

1 hour ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Thanks for giving me another example of "not a simulation game". If i can have different settings from another player and play in the same server there's no point in arguing whether it's a simulation or not. Because it isn't. A simulation would mean that all players get the same settings regarding stability and braking at least.It's one more reason why this game is not a simulation. Every truck should have its own settings universally in the server. If i can have full brake intensity and the driver behind has 0 brake intensity then if i brake hard he'll end up crashing on me. So far the game won't even simulate rain for all players. Maybe we should fix the actual issues first before trying to enforce the speed limit culture.

I believe that as many things in real life also simulation is not only black or white.

To my understanding, differences are a major part of a realistic simulation.

For example, it is only natural that over time wear influences the condition of the parts of a vehicle. That would be reason enough to explain different vehicle settings and behaviors.

The enforced speed limit is a measure to counter the high number of accidents caused by reckless driving.
It also adds to realism, as many trucks in real life either already have built-in speed limiters or at least are operated by responsible truck drivers that follow the speed limits. Driving a truck at 150+ kph however is a clear case of reckless behavior and belongs more on a racing track, but certainly not on public roads.

2 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

I want the game to be exactly what it is. If the game was realistic, then everyone would adapt to that. The reason that people drove at high speeds before the speed limit is because they could. I don't like when the admins enforce rules that go against the nature of their game. If it was a simulation, people wouldn't be able to drive at such speeds and thus they would adapt to the game. You can't argue about "realism" and at the same time worsening the user experience.

And because they could drive at excessive speed (paired with the lack of situational awareness, recklessness and over-selfconfidence in their driving skills) they either intentionally or accidentally caused accidents and ruined other players game experience. Tell me again why you want that back so badly...?

2 hours ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

Because besides top speed, there's also a thing called acceleration. So if my acceleration is better than yours, then i can try to safely overtake you. The game simply makes it more difficult by making everyone moving as a robot in the same speed.

Just because you can drive over 300 km/h with a Ferrari does not mean that you have to nor that you are allowed to. Keywords like "mutual consideration" and "common sense" come to my mind.
i assure you that you could always overtake me at any time. Because I never drive at the server speed limit.
Instead, I try to challenge myself by considering real life traffic laws as much as possible.
This includes (but is not limited to) stick to the speed limits on the traffic signage, stop at all red lights, give way, follow the driving time and rest periods and so on.
And by doing so and according to your definition I add to the simulation aspect as I do not move "as a robot in the same speed".

I believe that as many things in real life also simulation is not only black or white.

To my understanding, differences are a major part of a realistic simulation.

For example, it is only natural that over time wear influences the condition of the parts of a vehicle. That would be reason enough to explain different vehicle settings and behaviors.

You're talking about features that don't exist in the game currently. I'm referring to things that can be done as we speak.

The enforced speed limit is a measure to counter the high number of accidents caused by reckless driving.

Yes. It's also the easiest measure they could implement to do that. There are plenty of other ways to reduce accidents without limiting the user experience. More strict punishments, economies tied to truckersmp accounts etc. If players value their money, they wouldn't take unecessary risks. When you have 100 million in the bank, one more visit to the repair shop won't hurt you. 

It also adds to realism, as many trucks in real life either already have built-in speed limiters or at least are operated by responsible truck drivers that follow the speed limits. Driving a truck at 150+ kph however is a clear case of reckless behavior and belongs more on a racing track, but certainly not on public roads.

Yes, in real life if truck drivers lose control of the truck they will also cause horendous accidents with many victims. If the game could support more realistic physics then going over the speed limit wouldn't have to be enforced. Players would adapt to the environment. As long as the game allows such speeds, there's no reason to ban them "for the sake of simulation".

And because they could drive at excessive speed (paired with the lack of situational awareness, recklessness and over-selfconfidence in their driving skills) they either intentionally or accidentally caused accidents and ruined other players game experience. Tell me again why you want that back so badly...?

I've answered you before. The speed limit addresses these issues poorly. Yes it reduced accidents obviously cause you need to be a complete amateur to crash going at 110 km/h. It also killed highway driving (and generally remote driving) and overtaking. I want to drive in the highway and be able to find one truck that drives on my side. I want to be able to overtake that truck. There are other measures that could address these issues better. Stricter punishments already removed plenty of trolls from the game. And like i said before, one-account economy could address reckless driving once and for all.

Instead, I try to challenge myself by considering real life traffic laws as much as possible.
This includes (but is not limited to) stick to the speed limits on the traffic signage, stop at all red lights, give way, follow the driving time and rest periods and so on.
And by doing so and according to your definition I add to the simulation aspect as I do not move "as a robot in the same speed".

Yes but that attitude shouldn't be enforced by rules. It should be encouraged by the game. 

yes mate arcade is an ideal server to speed up but empty roads cause arcade server not used. this time when people do not use the arcade server, they enter the simulation servers and lead to the traffic magman, which we call troll.

it would be great to create a server where there is a collision and no speed limit for them.but of course this is my opinion,  I am open to your suggestions ?

1791576545_role_VeteranI(1).png.e3f68b3c

Always ready for help

? Steam | ? TruckersMP Profile | ♾️ Forum Profile | ? Discord |  

On 2/17/2020 at 1:18 PM, Guest Aborjin said:

Why is there a speed limit?
Isn't this a game?

People don't have to follow speed rules, we can see players who violate road rules even if there is a speed limit.

Do you think the speed limit is unnecessary, let's discuss this.

Well,like other ppl say if u have  150kmh is harder to beware the impact whit other players but as this game is a simulation game

if it was after me i reduce it to 90

Well all of this could be solved by simply creating one arcade server without speed limiter but with collisions (for example instead of Simulation 4). I am not entirely sure why has the TruckersMP team decided to rework it this way. In fact, it's quite stupid to NOT have arcade server with collisions, because then the people with vicious intentions ("trolls") will move to the next server WITH COLLISIONS (all simulation servers). I suppose that the TMP team knows this, but does not want to act in order to solve this. Maybe they fear that most of the players would go to the arcade collision server, just like it was in the times of EU 1 (collisions, speed limiter, barely populated) and EU 2 (collisions, no speed limiter, highly populated), thus rendering their "Road to Simulation" aim ineffective and their vision to be detached from the wishes of the userbase. But this might be just a silly speculation, and i would highly appreciate any answers on this topic from the TMP team itself.

I guess they will never do a server with no speed limits and collisions. Cuz if they do, most people, including hardcore players will switch to that, so the simulation servers which are extremely boring will be empty again, lol. Don't judge me, it is just what I feel. I guess some people prefer driving on empty roads for hours to the unexpected events born from the unpredictable (unpredictability made the mod fun) and complex human mind in the c-d road. It is sad, this mod was my favourite game to play from 2015 to 2018 and it was the only game I was playing as I never had a reason to look into other games. I still reminiscience the good old days by watching my gameplay videos from 2017 and 2018... If you are unhappy with the road to simulation update, just do what I do, don't play. 

I believe they will not change the rules about the speedlimit so it might be a better idea for the people who are yearning for no speedlimit to follow other mods which are under development such as Infinite Truckers. And I am pretty sure other games with no such rules will eventually be released in the future (possibly the truck and logistics simulator). 

On 4/6/2020 at 12:48 AM, teoss said:

I guess they will never do a server with no speed limits and collisions. Cuz if they do, most people, including hardcore players will switch to that, so the simulation servers which are extremely boring will be empty again, lol. Don't judge me, it is just what I feel. I guess some people prefer driving on empty roads for hours to the unexpected events born from the unpredictable (unpredictability made the mod fun) and complex human mind in the c-d road. It is sad, this mod was my favourite game to play from 2015 to 2018 and it was the only game I was playing as I never had a reason to look into other games. I still reminiscience the good old days by watching my gameplay videos from 2017 and 2018... If you are unhappy with the road to simulation update, just do what I do, don't play. 

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I believe they will not change the rules about the speedlimit so it might be a better idea for the people who are yearning for no speedlimit to follow other mods which are under development such as Infinite Truckers. And I am pretty sure other games with no such rules will eventually be released in the future (possibly the truck and logistics simulator). 

Yes, they don't seem too eager to make their rules about the game more flexible. They're not considering removing the speed limit from DLC zones. They're not considering to change fundamentals aspects of the game like the economy. In this mod if you mention speed limit, you're instantly a troll. It's like they can't see all the issues it creates. If i had some hope that Truckersmp could change, they're now shuttered, since they rejected my suggestions. Their whole road to simulation vision is simply stricter punishments for the players. 

Like you said, i'm only excited for Infinite Truckers. Their rules seem much more flexible than Truckersmp. Punishments make more sense and they seem more like they're trying to set the player straight rather than keep him out of the game.I guess we'll have to wait and see.

i support the idea of having an arcade server, with collision, no speedlimiter and maybe disabled reporting system or better filtered ones (by the number of reports a player sends in specific time periods for example i don't know to ensure that a player don't sends fake reports). but to be fair this server should also have 4500 slots to get the same chance to grow. i wonder how much does this costs?

Hi

First of all, there are many people who advocate the speed limit you mentioned. He finds it logical for the admins, and the troll is seriously reduced. The man who is going to troll is doing it now. They have no reason to open the 110 speed limit. However, if modes such as HGVMP infinity etc. are released, they will want to attract players due to competition. Naturally, players who think like you will turn to those without speed limits. When there is competition, the player can be removed in order not to lose, but for today it is difficult to say that it can be removed. HGVMP will be released 5 years later The infinity pattern is unknown, so getting used to the speed limit would be a better decision.

Best regards: Emre33Tr

12 hours ago, Emre33Tr said:

Hi

First of all, there are many people who advocate the speed limit you mentioned. He finds it logical for the admins, and the troll is seriously reduced. The man who is going to troll is doing it now. They have no reason to open the 110 speed limit. However, if modes such as HGVMP infinity etc. are released, they will want to attract players due to competition. Naturally, players who think like you will turn to those without speed limits. When there is competition, the player can be removed in order not to lose, but for today it is difficult to say that it can be removed. HGVMP will be released 5 years later The infinity pattern is unknown, so getting used to the speed limit would be a better decision.

Best regards: Emre33Tr

Strict punishments reduced trolls. Speed limit reduced accidents , that's all. It also made all the players to gather in the areas around the C-D road, so basically in 4 cities. If you try to drive anywhere further than the C-D road it's like you're playing on an empty server. Even if there are 1000 trucks ahead of you,  you'll never encounter any of them because you all move on the same speed. Nice simulation. 

Plus If Infinite Truckers end up taking all the players that enjoy a no-speed limit world, the server playerbase will drop. Competition is always a good thing because i hope it will finally make the admins realise what's important for their community and what isn't. Or you'll get your wish and there will be no more complaints about the speed limit in here. We'll just have to wait and see...

On 4/8/2020 at 12:38 PM, Random_Truck_Driver said:

It also made all the players to gather in the areas around the C-D road, so basically in 4 cities.

This obviously is complete nonsense.
The road between Duisburg and Calais was already populated long before anybody even thought about reducing the speed limit.
A possible cause of rarely meeting another player simply is that the number of online players is very low in relation to the size of the map. Even if you would evenly distribute the average number of 6000 online players over Europe you would hardly run into anybody.
And what makes it even more unlikely is that one sixth of these online players prefers to drive up and down the same route all day long.

Archived