Speed Limit Discussion

Speed Limit  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Should the speed limit be removed?

Guest EmreBEKAR
2 hours ago, shaaka said:

What if I like playing with players?
because the "arcade" server is almost empty

There's nothing to do :( 

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is there a speed limit?

Just like in real-life, there's a speed limit for trucks and cars. However, to satisfy both sides, we have decided to make a compromise and change the speed limit to 110 km/h instead of 90 km/h. There's always a reason behind a speed limit, for example near a gas station. The one near Calais is limited to 50 km/h so people can actually drive out without having to fo fear an accident due to people speeding and driving like maniacs.

Isn't this a game?

It is a game generally designed to closely simulate real world activities. You can have fun as long as you follow the official set of rules.

People don't have to follow speed rules, we can see players who violate road rules even if there is a speed limit.

They don't have to, however, if an accident occurs because of someone blasting through an intersection for example, then there will be a punishment and speeding will be taken into consideration in case an accident happens. 

If you'd like to speed, then you can do so on the arcade server but without putting anybody else in immediate danger. If not, then you'd have to stick to the speed limit and actually play the game how it's supposed to be played. The vast majority of the player base driving on the C-D area are the one's getting banned and then blaming other people for their own mistakes. Overtaking with traffic approaching from the opposite direction and then cutting in front of another user. Those are the ones constantly complaining about the speed limiter. Exceed the 90 km/h limit IRL and see what happens.

ღ ɢᴇʀᴍᴀɴ ᴇɴɢɪɴᴇᴇʀɪɴɢ ღ

I think there should be a speed limit because I think trolls and accidents are reduced when there is a speed limit. The fact that this is a game does not change this, after all the man comes and trolls you and spoils his game. I think the optimal speed limit is 90-95. :tmp:

10 hours ago, AgentAMosely said:

speed limits in this game are bs. i play every damn day and am stuck at 65MPH. I am passed at least 3 times per day while stuck on cruise control at 65MPH.

Slow them down or speed me up.

Are you playing ATS? If so, that 65 mph speed limit is for World of Trucks external contracts (and it's the same in single player). TruckersMP server's speed limits for ATS are at 80 mph. Try picking a freight market cargo and you'll probably be able to go up to 80 and not "stuck" at 65.

Be interesting to see just how many people use the C-D road vs every other road on the map. You say it's been reduced for simulation purposes but the people on that road aren't playing the game for the simulation, I'd present the view that the vast majority ( if not all ) are there for the crashes and to watch people do stupid stuff. Why else would you gladly sit on the road into duisburg without taking the alternate route in?

YouTube Channel  Twitter  Twitch

I do record for compilation videos so any clips you have, submit them to [email protected]

EuroTruck Simulator 2 - Funny & Idiotic Multiplayer Moments #3

Hello, 

In my opinion, speed limiter is a good thing it's a Simulation Truck game not a racing game, On the other hand, for those who want to speed up, there is always a "Arcade" server. 

I don't like the speed limit being lifted.
Reason: The problem is that reckless drivers speed up and hit people.

I hope to see "No" in this vote.

Kind Regards,

3601 / hamster

TeamAudi VTC - Event Manager

This

If you don't like speed limit, you can play on the arcade server. 

is as stupid as this.

If you want a speed limit, you can play on the simulation server.

that we used to see some years ago.

In the matter of servers:

There's no way that they add collisions in the arcade server and let the reporting system on, because the new popular server will be the arcade. Sim Servers will die.

Removing the reporting system is something that could work and that would probably make the arcade server the popular server once again. But i don't think that the ego of all those who want to go towards simulation (devs and players included) can withstand such a hit. So in conclusion I highly doubt that such changes will ever see the light of day.

The speed limit applies to a vast map but in reality it was implemented to relief a single road. Sure it has reduced accidents by far cause let's be honest here you gotta be a terrible driver if you crash in the D-C road (Or any other road) going at 110 km/h. It also has ruined any experience anybody can have in all the empty areas of the map (Going East DLC, Britain, Scandinavia) but somehow people always overlook this fact.

I had a garage in Bergen and since i hate fast travel in-game i would drive Duisburg to Bergen by car to pick up my truck and a job to bring me back to Western Europe. I knew the entire route like the back of my hand. Western Europe highways could not support high speeds and if you were not cautious you would crash in the first big turn. But Scandinavian highways were designed to withstand high speeds. Large straights and gradient(if that's the correct word) in hard turns. After Kiel I would drive in the highway by car going at 200 km/h and it was so smooth. Never crashed. Ever since the speed limit, i noticed a drop in popularity in remote areas. Then the baltic DLC came and Scandinavia became Eastern Europe vol 2. I never drove up there again. Shame cause it was the most enjoyable time i had in ETS2.

There's a reason why the server cap hasn't increased the last few months while until last year it kept increasing every other month. Driving on an empty highway at 110 km/h with a truck engine suffocating from the speed limit is a terrible feeling. It certainly ruined my experience and that's why i rarely visit the game nowadays.

Hello,

The speed limit should stay because this is a simulation game. Yes it's a game but it's a simulator meaning you do things you would do irl like follow speed limits. TMP has a max speed of 110km/h or 68mph which in real life for a truck is actually lower then that. If you want to go as fast as possible we do provide a arcade server.

Language: English

Support System | Knowledge Base | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback System

Remember stay positive ❤️

On 3/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, Beenz. said:

Hello,

The speed limit should stay because this is a simulation game. Yes it's a game but it's a simulator meaning you do things you would do irl like follow speed limits. TMP has a max speed of 110km/h or 68mph which in real life for a truck is actually lower then that. If you want to go as fast as possible we do provide a arcade server.

Guess what. If i can take a turn on a country road at 100 km/h, then it's not a simulation. If i can drive my truck on a country road at 110 km/h and not lose control then it's not a simulation. The speed limit does not exist because you want to push the game towards simulation. The last thing necessary for simulation is to enforce a speed limit. 

The sole purpose of the existence of the speed limit is to reduce the amount of incoming reports. It ruined an entire world in order to reduce the accidents in one road. Purpose achieved.

The speed limiter was created in order to keep the simulation serves clean of "players" who believe that TMP is a kind of NFS but now with trucks, in addition to that it is to have more order and reduce the number of accidents or reports that they must be reviewed and solved in order to keep the community orderly.

In addition we must remember that both ATS and ETS2 are simulation games and not races, therefore in real life the speed limits are lower and are created with the same purpose as those here: to maintain order and safety for others.

Keeping the speed set to where it is at in general is good. It keeps the amount of high speed accidents low and prevents people from losing control of their truck. The main issue is when you are driving on the highway and the speed drops to 45mph. Im curious if there is a way to make the speed zones more accurate within the cities. It does get to be an annoyance when the city is off to the side and you have a clear straight road and then you hit 45 speed zone and stuck like that through the entire area. But outside of that, have server wide speed limits is a good thing to have especially since it is a simulation game.

Personally I like driving at 110km because it reduces the risk of accidents and I wouldnt like to see it removed as it is a simulator game. If you want to play racing you have the arcade server and racing games for this

$ĝ† $αl†™
                                                                                                                                            My Timeline

2015                              2016                                2017                                2018                                 2019                               2020

image.png.eb72a906ab285e9c832317a851ff8ba0.pngimage.png.608bcf9759f058e5ed629fbcd272c4d9.pngimage.png.6128c9a945a66ae14868256932723412.pngimage.png.4212c57dd0bfa6d68705da04bffec7f8.pngimage.png.6a3b9da8b22eb70cf35d52e1c519ef60.pngimage.png.6128c9a945a66ae14868256932723412.pngimage.png.2127c084388aafe1d821d6900d1f3704.png

On 2/17/2020 at 12:18 PM, Guest Aborjin said:

Why is there a speed limit?
Isn't this a game?

People don't have to follow speed rules, we can see players who violate road rules even if there is a speed limit.

Do you think the speed limit is unnecessary, let's discuss this.

ETS2 is just a game. But playing TMP kinda makes it a MMORPG. My own experiences taught me that rules are needed, when you play MMORPG. Some people will go the extra length to show kindness and respect towards others. And some people just can't handle the power that comes with the Autobahn. 

As long as we still see a lot of problems with "merely" 90 km/h, I'm not sure it would be wise to crank it up. I.e. I often see drivers on the Autobahn, who are scraping against the crash barriers, because they are driving so fast, they can't follow the road properly. 

After all, this is a simulator. It's supposed to simulate the real life conditions as realistic as possible. Is it realistic to see a truck driving 90 km/h, (even where 80 km/h is the limit) - sure. Is it realistic to see a truck going 130-150 km/h - I would hope not. In fact, I would like to be able to turn even more real life settings on and off. I.e. tachograph, hazardous goods, resting/driving rules, etc.

The best solution, as far as I can tell, would be having more servers and then have different rule settings on them. I.e. one without speed limits, one with maximum realisme, etc.. But it might be too expensive, while we play for free.

On 3/17/2020 at 11:12 PM, The_Infamous_Ghost said:

Keeping the speed set to where it is at in general is good. It keeps the amount of high speed accidents low and prevents people from losing control of their truck. The main issue is when you are driving on the highway and the speed drops to 45mph. Im curious if there is a way to make the speed zones more accurate within the cities. It does get to be an annoyance when the city is off to the side and you have a clear straight road and then you hit 45 speed zone and stuck like that through the entire area. But outside of that, have server wide speed limits is a good thing to have especially since it is a simulation game.

10 hours ago, [WCH] [CEO] Andy Baugh said:

Still unsure why people have so much hate for speed limiter .. which part of .... euro truck SIMULATOR !!! do you not  get 

If you can take a turn going 100 km/h, then the simulation argument goes out the window. If the game allows me to drive that fast and not crash, it's because the physics do not simulate real life environments. Real life truckers drive slow because driving fast would result in horendous crashes. If the game could support that simulation, then it would mean that most players wouldn't drive that fast in the first place.

The speed limit is to be blamed for the reduced playersize in the last months. It's hard to attract new players when the first experience they get is a speed limit and empty highways for miles and miles. 

The speed limit reduced social interaction in the streets because it made overtaking impossible in the highways and circumstancial in country roads.

Get it in your head, It's not a Truck Simulator, it's a truck game. 

Edit: (One thing i forgot) The entire problem with accidents and reckless driving could be solved using an economy that's bound to your truckersmp account and not to ets2 profiles. People wouldn't have money for repairs thus they would either think twice before performing reckless overtakings or generally reckless driving that could lead to heavy damage. Now you can simply create a single player account, add 100 millions, add xp and start driving around.

There are plenty of solutions that could have worked instead of a mindless decision to reduce the truck's speed "For the sake of simulation". A laughable decision

22 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

If you can take a turn going 100 km/h, then the simulation argument goes out the window. If the game allows me to drive that fast and not crash, it's because the physics do not simulate real life environments.

The given example given is misleading, because it does not describe necessary details about the truck, the trailer, the load, the steepness of the turn, and the like. Furthermore, you hide the fact that SCS offers the option to adjust stability of truck and trailer which also influences the outcome of the described scenario.

If you want to have a more realistic experience you have several measures at your hands.

38 minutes ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

The speed limit is to be blamed for the reduced playersize in the last months.

A bold and far-fetched claim without any proof provided. How can you tell that players do not keep themselves busy with other things while they are in quaratine?

1 hour ago, Random_Truck_Driver said:

It's hard to attract new players when the first experience they get is a speed limit and empty highways for miles and miles.

The highways are empty because of many players prefer to populate infamous areas as the road between Duisburg and Calais. And this has been the case before the speed limit was reduced to 110 kph.
Do we really want to attract players who mistake this simulator with a racing game at all?

The speed limit reduced social interaction in the streets because it made overtaking impossible in the highways and circumstancial in country roads.

If it is difficult or not even possible for you to overtake in a safe manner, why would you try anyway?

Get it in your head, It's not a Eurotruck Simulator, it's a truck game. 

And it certainly is not a racing game either.

If you want it to simulate real life, you can to do your part by considering driving times and resting periods, adjusting truck and trailer settings, follow speed limits and road signage and the like.

Archived