Speed Limit Discussion

Speed Limit  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Should the speed limit be removed?

Why is there a speed limit?
Isn't this a game?

People don't have to follow speed rules, we can see players who violate road rules even if there is a speed limit.

Do you think the speed limit is unnecessary, let's discuss this.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think TMP has their reason to limit the speed,In fact, the speed limit is good for some players,

Too fast, it's easy to have accidents, some collisions,There will be a lot more players who are offended!

Of course, it's a truck simulation game. It's more simulated and realistic to reduce the speed. It's also very good!

?

:tmp:

6 minutes ago, Spig_Xiao Zhu said:

I think TMP has their reason to limit the speed,In fact, the speed limit is good for some players,

Too fast, it's easy to have accidents, some collisions,There will be a lot more players who are offended!

Of course, it's a truck simulation game. It's more simulated and realistic to reduce the speed. It's also very good!

?

:tmp:

I respect your opinion as this is a discussion post, but for the speed limit the game itself already has a traffic penalty system.

And also, as I mentioned above, there are thousands of players who violate the road rules even when there is speed limit.

it should be removed from ats most states are 80mph on the highways and it forces you to 45 when your not acturly in the city but still on the highways then you get the random ones miles from any city probably from when the game was first made to the different scale and ats you hardly see anyone like last night there was 400+ people but god knows where they was hiding 

but it works fine on ets2 just not ats

Hello there, 

I agree on your point that yes, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is simply a game, however TruckersMP is a multiplayer modification for the game, and we aim more towards the realism and simulation aspect of it, which is why there is a speed limit. 
I do agree with chipmunk though on one thing, it is quite annoying when you are driving on a high speed highway and suddenly you join a city which reduces your speed, some parts of the map where this happens, you look on your mini-map and there isn't even a city in sight, so yes, I do agree that this does maybe need looking at, not sure how big of an issue it is too fix, but I do agree with that. 
Personally though for ETS2, I think the speed limits work fine, keeps most of the community in safe driving conditions, and those who still find a way to violate rules get banned. If you prefer speed, there is the Arcade server which has no speed limiter at all. :) 

3 hours ago, [VIVA] Aborjin said:

Isn't this a game?

Yes, you are absolutely right, it is only a game, but a simulation game. So in my opinion the speed limit is perfectly acceptable.

You can't provide every style of play for over 3 million players, but I think with simulations and arcade servers you can cover most of it. If you really want to go faster than 110 kmh the Arcade Server might be the right one for you.

There is another post about the same topic: "110 KMPH SEED LIMIT HAS TO RECONSIDER!".
In this post you can see many arguments for and against the abolition of the speed limit.

Dude, NO. Whenever i see a truck doing 110 or 100 on 2 lane road i want to hide, in my experince 8/10 guys cant drive at 90 on 2 lane road, i mean, quality driving. If it was up to me the speed limit would be 90. If u want trucking experince with reckless driving go instal GTA V, then instal a thing called FiveM and on the server list find transport tycoon, there are 9 servers, have fun. I did nearly 400 hours on it, in maybe 3 months last year.

In my opinion, truck speed limit should not be closed, because European truck simulation 2 is not a race game in itself, and trucks will not rise to 200-300km / h in reality. Moreover, before TMP implemented the plan of simulation Road, the server kept the speed limit of 150km / h. for players running 80-90km / h, these "high-speed trains" are their own Nightmare, because their speed is too much higher than normal!

12643.jpg?_1667120314

it forces you to 45 when your not acturly in the city but still on the highways

it is quite annoying when you are driving on a high speed highway and suddenly you join a city which reduces your speed

As far as I know, TruckersMP have little control over this. The area the game marks as the “city” is part of the map / game. You know when you’re driving to somewhere you’ve not been and it says “Discovered XXXX”? Anywhere on the map that would count as discovering a city, counts as being part of that “city limit” and therefore will have the limit. So, it’s not an area TMP themselves set, rather the limit is applied to this city area.

Back in the day this would basically not have been an issue, as effectively all cities were the designed similarly with just a square area on the map being the city, with the occasional eAcres, rather than some of the complex snaking highway things we more often find these days (particularly in the Baltic’s & Black Sea). So it may be something that can be considered more closely now SCS are designing cities differently.

I may be wrong about the speed limit and city area, but I’ve heard frequent times that this is how it works.

Why did this debate suddenly begin?

Kind Regards,

3601 / hamster

TeamAudi VTC - Event Manager

Because some people still think that asking in the forums for the speed limits to be removed will work. But it won't. Since the first 150 Km/h speed limit, there have been countless topics where people would whine about "They're killing the game, it's boring to drive with speed limits". All they got was to have that 150 Km/h limit removed, only to have a 110 Km/h limit and a server without speed limits BUT without collisions. Now, they ask for the speed limited servers to be non speed limited, because they don't want to use the arcade server, where they can go as fast as they want, but... they can't crash into others.

What do they really want?

Speed?

Then go to arcade server. End of topic. Well... this is not quite what they want for.

Collision?

Why do you need collision? To ram people? No way!

That's what people who support the Simulation server think. Because no one could ever clearly explain why you need both at the same time.

Why collision is important?

Because, if there is a truck ahead of you driving slow, you want to pass him but not hit him. Therefore, you need to overtake him. That's what collision is for. It's the realistic one and exists in the real world. Not penetrate the truck ahead. "Penetrate overtaking" doesn't exist.

Remember why they need to overtake? Because the truck ahead is too slow. If you disabled the collision, the speed of the truck ahead isn't a factor anymore. Thus, you don't need to overtake. You penetrate the truck. End of story.

But that's what arcade is for, right?

No. Arcade doesn't mean you can't have collision enabled. The word doesn't have such meaning to "no collision" or "penetrating". If you play Need For Speed or Grand Theft Auto which is NOT a simulator game, if all vehicles are penetrable, will you play that game? While I don't think so...

You are increasing the number of reports on the system!

Yeah, that's true. More speed means more accidents. Which means more reports and bans. But remember the EU5 server last year? You can have collisions, no speed limits, you can block the road, ram people, driving on the wrong way BUT NO NEED TO WORRY OF BEING BANNED. Because the rules simply won't apply there. Simply enable the collision feature, and don't allow the use of police car, it is now a EU5 server.

Simulation vs Simulator

Someone said real life truckers won't drive their truck faster than 90km/h. So the simulation server should further its speed limit to 90km/h. Then why did SCS actually let the truck go past 90km/h? Because it can simulate the physics of the truck at that speed. Therefore, the truck in real life could actually go past 150km/h and the game is simply simulating what would happen if a truck is driving at 150km/h. That's what a simulator is for. Limiting the speed limit is a meaningless act for me and it actually ruinied the effort made by SCS. 

People forgot why you should allow simulators exist. To test something but no need to risk your life. If you would crash in the simulator, then you will crash in real life. But the difference is, your life is still there and you know you should never pull this off in real life.

But, that doesn't mean I don't agree to keep the speed limit on the Simulation servers, I actually do. That's because what the word "Simulation" is for. A player should act as much as a real trucker will do (i.e. Make sure the speed is below 90km/h). A player have such responsibility to follow this 90km/h speed limit. So we are back to the argument of whether to have collision on the Arcade server or not.

Conclusion

Remove the speed limit on Simulation server: NO

Enable the collision on Arcade server: YES

Allow blocking, ramming, reckless driving on Arcade server: YES

Instead of increasing the speed limit on the Simulation servers, I will purpose to bring back the collision feature to the Arcade servers.

So I guess everybody is happy now? Simmers, you don't have to drive with those potential reckless drivers anymore. Admins, you don't need to deal with those tonnes of reports anymore.

For someone who might ask: Because Simulation 1 is crowded so even a reckless driver go to Simulation 1.

No, not exactly. If you enable the collision on the Arcade server, Simulation 1 will be quite empty.

For someone who might say: The reason of making this EU5 server is to celebrate the 5th anniversary.

But that doesn't explain why you can't apply the settings on the Arcade server.

I understand that allowing people to block, to ram could be removed also. But in my opinion, you need to use something to trade off. Because it will definitely increase the load of the Game Moderators to deal with this increase number of reports. If you really want to go past 110km/h while even in real life, I think we should take the risk. I said "we" because I might actually stay in that server myself.

I am just looking for an easy way to solve the problem. From what I can see here, this is the best option we have now. Or, how about this?

Disable the collision feature on the Simulation servers to exchange the collision feature on the Arcade server. For those who consider yourself a good driver, you keep your truck under the speed limit. You will keep distance to the truck ahead. So I guess the collision feature doesn't matter you, right?

Would you agree to exchange the collision for the Arcade server? (I am just asking, not really mean to remove this feature.)

No?

Why?

Since you won't hit anything so I thought you should be OK with that. Or, try to read this article from the top and know what they really need. And you will notice "Actually I really want the collision myself".

The general reason as to why collisions are not enabled on Arcade, is because the whole aim of TruckersMP is to deliver a realistic experience to the community. This is not really SCS we're thinking about, it's TruckersMP. SCS just make the platform, TruckersMP apply the situation and rules.

Blocking, ramming and reckless driving on an "arcade" server with collisions enabled would effectively be a Simulation server with no speed limit, and no rules. That's what one would have made. If one is against the idea of disabling the speed limit on Simulation servers, why then would one wish to change the settings on an Arcade server to be pretty much the same as a Sim server with no speed limit? Whether it's called Arcade or not makes little difference. 

12 minutes ago, Phon said:

If one is against the idea of disabling the speed limit on Simulation servers, why then would one wish to change the settings on an Arcade server to be pretty much the same as a Sim server with no speed limit?

That's because what the word "Simulation" is for. A player should act as much as a real trucker will do (i.e. Make sure the speed is below 90km/h). A player have such responsibility to follow this 90km/h speed limit.

And the word "Arcade" doesn't mean you can't have collision enabled. The word doesn't have such meanings. I don't see the point why you can't have collision enabled on the Arcade servers. If you are willing to bring a realistic simulation experience to the players, then you already did. That's why Simulation 1, Simulation 2, [US] Simulation and the latest [SGP] Simulation is there. If TruckersMP really want to bring a realistic simulation experience, then why did TruckersMP held a "Racing Championship"? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Or, TruckersMP simply don't welcome those kind of players anymore. Well, then close the only Arcade server. I don't see why the server should be there. Don't want to get rammed when doing WOT jobs? Single-player mode can do it or you should risk it. So why leave it there? I look forward to your answers.

If you believe...

a player should act as much as a real trucker will do

...then why give them more ability to act the complete opposite? Giving people a server with collisions, no speed limit and no road rules will hardly make them drive more like a real trucker, it just gives them a place to go and drive as fast as possible, and risk driving into other people. 

8 minutes ago, Miyu* said:

And the word "Arcade" doesn't mean you can't have collision enabled. The word doesn't have such meanings. I don't see the point why you can't have collision enabled on the Arcade servers. If you are willing to bring a realistic simulation experience to the players, then you already did. That's why Simulation 1, Simulation 2, [US] Simulation and the latest [SGP] Simulation is there. If TruckersMP really want to bring a realistic simulation experience, then why did TruckersMP held a "Racing Championship"? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I understand where you are coming from. Maybe Arcade could have collisions, if there's an indication that it's an arcade server. 

But there's a huge issue with this. 

The amount of new useless reports that would come, and Report/Game moderators having to tell them all the time that because it was in arcade, rules like Ramming, Reckless Driving don't apply there, etc. 

We'd all be basically overwhelmed with the amount of useless reports and actual reports with have to wait doubled or tripled the time it usually takes. 

That's why I highly doubt collisions on arcade will ever be added.

13 minutes ago, Miyu* said:

Or, TruckersMP simply don't welcome those kind of players anymore. Well, then close the only Arcade server. I don't see why the server should be there. Don't want to get rammed when doing WOT jobs? Single-player mode can do it or you should risk it. So why leave it there? I look forward to your answers.

We welcome all players. It's just that Arcade servers are only for fun, like racing or recording some tutorials for VTC, etc. I believe there should be one Arcade server, just for those players. 

banner

24 minutes ago, Chris [PL] said:

The amount of new useless reports that would come, and Report/Game moderators having to tell them all the time that because it was in arcade, rules like Ramming, Reckless Driving don't apply there, etc. 

We'd all be basically overwhelmed with the amount of useless reports and actual reports with have to wait doubled or tripled the time it usually takes. 

I didn't mention about that part. You have a point.

But, I think you can do a little trick on the reporting system to NOT allow the users to pick that reason or give them a tips like: Ramming, Blocking and Reckless Driving are allowed on this server.

Possible solutions:

1. Disable "Ramming", "Blocking", "Reckless Driving" and "Wrong Way" from the option list on both in-game reporting system and web reporting system.

2. When "Connection Established", you add such tips: Ramming, Blocking and Reckless Driving are allowed on this server.

And I think you can already implement this now. Because, even though we don't have collision on the Arcade server, the players can actually able to file a report using these reasons. And you said the number of useless reports will increase. That's true but maybe you forgot 2 things:

1. The number of reports from the Simulation servers will decrease because most of the majority went to the Arcade servers now

2. The total number of reports will at most, remains the same if everyone will report people when they rammed you

I think it will only take a short period for the players to get used to the Arcade server, and then the total number of reports will drop quite a lot.

Is your problem solved? If so, would you support to give the collision back to the Arcade server?

?

---

25 minutes ago, Phon said:

If you believe...

...then why give them more ability to act the complete opposite? Giving people a server with collisions, no speed limit and no road rules will hardly make them drive more like a real trucker, it just gives them a place to go and drive as fast as possible, and risk driving into other people. 

Simply because TruckersMP categorized the servers into "Simulation" and "Arcade" in the first place. Therefore, on Simulation servers, you shouldn't give them the ability. But why not on the Arcade servers? It was EU1 to EU4. No one categorized the server is a Simulation server or not. Since TruckersMP introduced the "Road to Simulation", the best possible solution for this is to make the Arcade server be just like EU5.

It doesn't matter if you allow them to do the opposite or not, what they actually want is a "Collision + No Speed Limit" server. It's fine if you don't allow them to do the opposite, but if you come up with a 3-win solution to the Simmers, Arcade Players and Game Moderators, allowing them to do all of that is the best option I could think of.

The speed limit is a very hit or miss with some. I didn't agree with it at first myself however over time, and mainly once I joined a VTC, I learnt it was actually probably one of the better things they have included on the Sim servers. By controlling everyone's speed to a set maximum I've personally noticed a massive drop in the amount of crashes or near misses when needing to get over, indicating and proceeding to merge over and then someone storm up the outside going extremely fast and me simply not being able to see them due to the render distance being like 200m or something like that. Whilst I've never had a serious collision or been involved in a serious collision the near misses of people simply thinking they can get past you was simply ridiculous. 

Thus why I believe keeping everyone to 110km/hr max is a great improvement to professional game-play.

We drive trucks not race cars. Trucks are not meant to do 150km/hr +

Kind Regards,

Top Bloke | Scania LTD Director 

13 hours ago, Miyu* said:

2. The total number of reports will at most, remains the same if everyone will report people when they rammed you

No, wrong. Because the number of reports in a no-limits server would be incredibly higher. Because there will be a lot more people ramming and being rammed. The only way to implement what you propose, IMO, would be making the Arcade server collision enabled but, somehow, disabling the ability to create reports from that server. No in-game reports, and whoever sends a web report based on Arcade server gets the report instantly rejected and is banned from using the web report system for a month at least (with one month time, any reports sent later would be invalid as per the rules). Those who tried to fake the reports as having happened in other servers would be banned also from using the report system. With something like this, maybe a collision enabled arcade server would work... But it should be made 100% clear to everyone that when they join such server, they are entering the Wild West, no rules, no right to complain, no matter if they are being constantly rammed or trolled. Not sure about how many people would be happy with something like this (other than the trolls and the infamous "Idiots on the road").

Archived