Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

light merchandise ..... heavy or light engines ??

Moritaka

Hello everyone, it has always been said that if the merchandise is heavy (more 18 TON) trucks with motorizations must be occupied over 500 HP; But when the load is under 10 TON, should the use of smaller engines be reconsidered? ..... or just adjust the transmissions? .... or not take the low-weight merchandise?

If you have the money (for fuel) just buy the biggest engine possible and forget about it... I use the 730hp engine in my Scania S, mainly because I'm always trying to take the heaviest trailer available (min. 20t). If I were to take a less powerful engine, it can be a real struggle getting up a hill with the 35+ ton cargoes. Better safe than sorry.

When the merchandise is light just by adjusting the transmission is fine. For me, the engine must always be the most powerful, and vary the transmissions. But if you want to have a little challenge, choose heavy loads with small engines (

Be sure to do this in areas of curves, ups and downs, but in areas not traveled).

spacer.png

I use a Scania Streamline, 4x2 chassis with the 480HP engine and the 6 gears Allison transmission and it moves anything up to 24 tons as it's expected. Of course it struggles when going uphill with heavy loads, but that's the challenge, isn't it? For heavier loads, 30+ tons, I'll use a 6x4 chassis, 600+ HP engine, just to not get stuck at some places. But I can tell, even the 750 HP Volvo struggles when going on some uphills if the load is heavy enough. Again, that's what the game is about. I see quite a lot of trucks around where I live, all kinds of combinations, but mostly 4x2, all kinds of "normal" trailers, but... Very rarely anything over 520-530 HP, some 500 HP ones and most of them, in the 440-480 HP range. So, since I'm into simulation, that's what I'll use in the game. 8x4 chassis trucks, only from time to time, with special overweighted and oversized loads.

Then I go into MP and what I see: Lots of people with 8x4, 750 HP Volvos, hauling 3-6 tons trailers, of course at full speed. All in all, it's each player's choice. Some try to simulate, others just... See MP as another racing game where the most powerful vehicle is the one with the highest chance to win... Even though there's nothing to win in this game, actually.

You don't need more than 500hp for standard single trailers, because maximum weight they can take is about 25 tons, and 500 hp engine will have no problems with that. 

I am driving 500 hp 4x2 or 6x2 trucks with 12 speed overdrive transmissions and my own standard single trailers.

If you want to haul something really heavy, like double trailers, HCT, special cargo, you can consider those top engines and 6x4 and 8x4 chassis, but in fact, you dont't really need 750 hp even then,  but 6x4 and 12+2 or 16 speeds transmissions are very helpful.

There is no reason to not take lower weight cargo, if the money is good. I usually take jobs with best pay per km. If I come across cargoes like  computer processors,  medical equipment, or vaccines, which are all very light, I just can't pass over, because the payout is extremely good.

Hello. That's right, if you can afford the most powerful engine and fuel then there will be no problem with that.

Regards.

Greetings,
Caramba2412   

TruckersMP Support Team Leader                                                                                                                                  

hello everyone, I put this issue as I usually use a 6x2 / 4 mercy and merchandise up to 15 TON, but when entering the MP, as I always do routes through the mountainous areas of Switzerland-Italy-France I see other players Dump trucks as they use Volvos or Scania 8x4 or 6x4 with very large engines but very light loads, so I wondered if it was very profitable to use large chassis and engines in areas where torque-power or only lower weights are required.

21 hours ago, Balakitos said:

hello everyone, I put this issue as I usually use a 6x2 / 4 mercy and merchandise up to 15 TON, but when entering the MP, as I always do routes through the mountainous areas of Switzerland-Italy-France I see other players Dump trucks as they use Volvos or Scania 8x4 or 6x4 with very large engines but very light loads, so I wondered if it was very profitable to use large chassis and engines in areas where torque-power or only lower weights are required.

In real world, your typical european HGV consisting of 4x2 tractor and 3-axle semi trailer can reach gross weight of 40 tons, or as much as 44 tons,  truck with an empty trailer alone weighs around 14 tons at least. Most of the time you will see their power output is in range of 400 - 580 hp, depending on application.

In the game however, it's up to you, nothing is holding you back, over time you will find out that aquiring obscene amount of money can be trivial, especially in multiplayer,  to the point that you will have nowhere left to spend it.

It's all up to you, how you want to play the game, if you like to role play, you don't have to be part of the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived