Hello Truckers!

If you were apart of yesterday Christmas convoy or just wanting know what happened, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on what happened and maybe you can share your thoughts on the whole event and the convoys that you attended.

For the truckers who didn't know about the event, this years Christmas convoy was all about raising money for a child to go to Lapland to go and meet the Santa Claus with their family. At 9AM UTC hundreds of truckers on Euro Truck Simulator started their engines in the popular city of Calais in France to begin the first convoy. The whole day consisted of 5 convoys with some breaks in between which lasted just over 12 hours as the final destination was in Oslo, Norway. As of writing this post we have raised £2,534.68 in total. Only £475.32 left to go and you can donate right here!

You can see more about the different routes that were taken in the official TruckersMP blog post

I myself did all 5 convoys which was fun, but very difficult and challenging when you have everyone following the same road, but also see truckers trying to bump in line and unnecessarily overtake. I feel like some truckers didn't understand that this was an event that didn't included any racing or trying to be first in line. I saw so many players who were overtaking and racing the convoy on the right as they just want to get there quicker. Of course, the only time it's ok to overtake is when someone has stopped for a while and then overtake before getting back into the right hand lane. Thankfully, there were many moderators, admins and event staff who looked after the event and kick anyone for overtaking as it can disrupt the convoy.

If you also had the all snow mods on including the physics mod like I did, I think some of us can agree that with the empty trailer was harder to turn with sometimes as I must of under/over-steered too many times to damage myself and flip out controllable. But it was fun to have an extra challenge to the game as it was hell, but fun at times too.

I do have a few ideas that I want to share and yes you don't have to agree with me either with them as they are just ideas.

• Repeatable kicked offenders (3 Strikes, Your Out!) on the event sever should be banned for the rest of the event on that server.
  • Have the requirement to have the mods downloaded before joining. In this case all 3 winter mods.
  • Less player slots (around 1500 instead of 2000)

I would like thank everyone who came and be apart of theses insane convoys over the day. To the people who tried to over take the convoy, don't be a spoiled sport and ruin it for everyone else.

I think the convoy was great! I really enjoyed driving for such a long period of time with so many people. Hopefully we will see more charity events like this in the future. Doing one for WWF could be fun.

I like the idea of being totally out of the event if you get kicked 3 times. I don't know if it's possible for them to implement this to the game, but I do like the idea.

I was part of Route 2 of the Christmas Convoy as CC/GM Support. It was definitely nice to watch some many players supporting this event. I hope you enjoyed it as well! I do also appreciate those concerns and from my point of view, I can give my opinions. People who were continued offenders were being banned and I agree there were some people who didn't know the rules but it is to be expected within a convoy. I don't agree with winter mod being forced. Winter mod is optional to all users and some people don't like using it - which I think is fair. 1500 player slots sounds reasonable to me, I know there was plenty of free roamers on that server but to ensure people who actually wanted to attend the convoy could join, the limit was set at 2000 players.

Anyway, nice forum topic @OP :)

yo

@GrubbyTrack I also enjoyed the long riding as well since it allowed to go on routes I have never been on before like route 5 to Oslo during the mountain roads, that was a decent wrote to drive for the view. Also love the idea of raising money for WWF since the environment is pretty important right now!

I'm not sure either if they would implement the "3 strikes, your out" policy but I am glad you like my idea too :)

@Matt (Some reason the @ didn't work) Glad to hear the users were being banned, I'm sure a good couple hundred of them got the boot. I understand that maybe having the winter mod forced on is a bad idea, but I feel like everyone should have the same treatment when it comes to a modded event as everyone should use all the mods. The again you can get the occasionally person who is un-experienced or don't really install mods who try them and then hate them as it would ruin their experience in-game. I went with 1500 just because there should still be a health amount, at first I was thinking 1200 max but I felt like it would be a little short. Ofcourse you wanted to make sure there was enough room for everyone to join so fair enough.

Have you thought of somehow editing the map with the transparent arrow walls to help the convoy keep on the right track and stop free roamers? Or would that have to be a separate map to download?

I took part in 3 out of the 5 routes. It was fun but there were a lot of people trying to overtake at all times. It would've been better if the GMs were more attentive to that. Also, there were a few intersections without event staff doing CC, so I didn't know where to go. Other than that, it was great overall. Thanks for the event, it was fun. Hope they reach their goal! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived