Truck / Trailer stability

andy Suter

Ive been noticing this ‘issue’ for a while but after trying the roads around Corsica it just reminded me to ask the question.

Its in relation to truck/trailer stability. I have mine set quite high up the scale (as well as brake intensity). Yet im finding my truck feels very wobbly (was old scania, now new actros). I feel like its going to tip over on some corners and indeed it has done a few times.

Totally my fault as I was going too fast.

But heres the issue – Im actually going slower than most. If I go the correct speed so I don’t tip over, im holding people up. If I let them pass, they zoom off into the distance.

Is there something else I need to be setting up? Im not wanting to be a speed demon, I just cant understand how others are taking corners so much faster with apparently no issues.

There’s definitely a difference between how it feels/acts in multiplayer and single player. I say this because when promods was available to use I did a few deliveries and in some spots I was able to take corners at a higher speed than I could in the same spots within multiplayer. I can only speculate but they may of made it “easier” for trailers and/or trucks to lose their balance and tip over. I see this even when doing WoT jobs and limited to 56mph. It’s overkill but if you’re wanting a tad more (but still not totally safe in the sense of not tipping over) stability you could use a 8x4 setup. 

On this issue, the truck he uses will not have to do with it, since they are all like that, Scania Streamline 2009 has the stability of a car, with it you shouldn't feel that you are trying to tip over or something.
Returning to the subject, try in the game, have the stability of the trailer all to the left, I have it that way and I really do not feel that I am going to overturn, although I sometimes do bruce movements and so if it feels, but in a tight curve at low speed it doesn't feel.
and if with that you feel that you are still trying to tip over, try the physical movements of the camera, that may also be that in each movement it helps in the thought that you will tip over

@andy Suter You say "quite high up the scale"... Maybe you should try all to the max. I have that same issue, only my stabilities and suspensions are all at 50% of the default value (I configured them using the in-game console). If you really want to have the same as most other players, open the console and type:

g_truck_stability 0.5

g_trailer_stability 0.5

g_suspension_stiffness 1.0

g_cabin_suspension_stiffness 1.0

Those are the maximum (and default) values. Obviously, you could use stability settings of 2.0 using the console, but I don't know if it would really change anything (maybe TMP found a way to prevent players from using settings higher than maximums) and can be cause of a permanent ban, so use them at your own risk.

But like I said, I drive WoT jobs, most of the time following the road's speed limits and on some places, even slower, precisely because I've learnt that some corners make my vehicle to tip over if I take them fast. I changed those settings because the truck feels more "real". Trucks are not supposed to take a 90° corner at 70 Km/h, even when there's no trailer attached. Some people say that the most realistic settings would be all stability, suspensions and braking intensity at 0. Only I don't dare going in multiplayer with those, too risky.

And yes, there are places where others will come faster than me and have a hard time to overtake. My thoughts about this are: It's their problem, not mine. Whoever wants to race, should be playing racing games, if I'm doing 70 on a 70 limited road and others have to stay behind because it's difficult to overtake... Well, that's what happens in real life, isn't it? Deal with it.

I don't know how to quote a post form different topic, so here is a link to that topic

Posted September 28

Changelog of changes from 28th September 2019:

Disabled random events and detours.

Added a default range for stability and suspension stiffness game cvars.

Fixed a bug with the game UI in game settings.

I take it, that these settings are now effectively capped in multiplayer at the default values provided by @FernandoCR [ESP] .  At these max values,  trucks have pretty decent stability, in my opinion. Default stability values have been halved after 1.35 update, though I have no idea if they represent the same thing as in 1.34. 

@[ST-LH] The Englishman, maybe your settings are higher, and in singleplayer you have greater stability, but when you load the same profile in multiplayer, it overrides them.

I think that trailers also don't have one generic center of gravity, but it depends on type of the trailer and type and weight of the load. Certainly, 3 tons of potted flowers feel different than 23 tons of cheese.

At the moment, I am driving 4x2 old actros, and I had to pump both stability settings to max, while keeping both stiffness values at 0.2,  otherwise this truck is exceptionally wobbly, and I think it's because of the very short wheelbase, the shortest of all 4x2 trucks in the game in fact. Try taking some special cargo with this truck.  Different truck brands with the same axle configurations have different handling in my experience.

Don't forget about people who save edit their  trailers to have virtually no weight, I suspect this is the main factor, when you see that unnatural handling and acceleration.

1 hour ago, Granite said:

I don't know how to quote a post form different topic, so here is a link to that topic

I take it, that these settings are now effectively capped in multiplayer at the default values provided by @FernandoCR [ESP] .  At these max values,  trucks have pretty decent stability, in my opinion. Default stability values have been halved after 1.35 update, though I have no idea if they represent the same thing as in 1.34. 

@[ST-LH] The Englishman, maybe your settings are higher, and in singleplayer you have greater stability, but when you load the same profile in multiplayer, it overrides them.

I think that trailers also don't have one generic center of gravity, but it depends on type of the trailer and type and weight of the load. Certainly, 3 tons of potted flowers feel different than 23 tons of cheese.

At the moment, I am driving 4x2 old actros, and I had to pump both stability settings to max, while keeping both stiffness values at 0.2,  otherwise this truck is exceptionally wobbly, and I think it's because of the very short wheelbase, the shortest of all 4x2 trucks in the game in fact. Try taking some special cargo with this truck.  Different truck brands with the same axle configurations have different handling in my experience.

Don't forget about people who save edit their  trailers to have virtually no weight, I suspect this is the main factor, when you see that unnatural handling and acceleration.

I have three profiles, one for Promods (MP)*, one for base (MP)* and one for Single player Promods** (for when MP Promods isn't available)

*Truck & trailer stability is set to high

**Truck and trailer is set to medium

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there are a lot of people who drive in multiplayer with the stability of truck and trailer maxed out because of crashing idiots from time to time. I did too for a long time, because it can help keep you on the road in crazy situations. Nowadays I dont care anymore if people have to wait for me to take the turn in the correct speed for my truck... People rush the game so much but hey, aint that their problem? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived