Do devs test updates before releasing them?

dragonslayingmaster1000

This is something I would really like to know because there are major bugs with the new update which should have been noticed by devs if they actually tested it before releasing it. They should have been able to fix some of these common bugs at least. There's this bug affecting everyone where if you teleport to service you see nothing and your game is paused and you can't even hit f1 to unpause or esc to load a save. Only option is to alt f4. Even after updating from 1.36.2.1 to 1.36.2.2 they still haven't fixed this bug.

I also heard of graphical bugs in game, here's some examples of those that I found from others: https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/91051-wide-tab/ , https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/90861-unreadable-overlay-after-dx11-136-update/ , https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/90963-truckersmp-problem/ (if you have triple monitors)

I also have a huge doubt about it because truckersMP has some bugs that are impossible to be noticed even more by developers but I think in some ways they test more others sure not

Kind Regards,
Folatti

339458068_role_Translator(1).png.1c7213d 904932591_role_CommunityModerator(2).png

Languages: English 🇺🇸 | Portuguese 🇧🇷

Report System | Ban Appeal | Feedback System | Rules | Knowledge Base | Server Status

Need help with something, or can't find a solution to your issue? Submit a ticket with the support team here!

The Developers more than likely do test out their updates before release, however if you didn't want anything released until it was completely bug free, the mod wouldn't exist.
Minor bugs appear all the time, the developers work hard to fix this by causing as little inconvenience to the players as possible. This sometimes means releasing an update when minor bugs still appear.

I don't think people are talking about minor bugs. I think they're talking about game breaking bugs. Like not being able to rescue to service because the game becomes paused and you can't unpause it without Alt+F4'ing. Which is a pretty frickin' huge bug that should have been caught if they actually did any testing. It's clear that they don't test. How do you miss such an important feature being broken if you do any testing? First thing that should be tested are features that are used often. And if there is ANY feature that gets used the most often? It's rescuing to a service station to fix the job market every time you log in and every time you get rammed, etc. HOW DO YOU MISS THIS IF ANY TESTING IS TRULY DONE!?

Edit: Said issue with rescuing to service is still there, by the way. After so many updates since 1.36 was supported. A critical feature is still broken. Laughable. So laughable.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:12 PM, Sanguinem Luna said:

Edit: Said issue with rescuing to service is still there, by the way. After so many updates since 1.36 was supported. A critical feature is still broken. Laughable. So laughable.

If it's so laughable, why not go apply for a TMP position and fix it yourself?  So many people act like experts when it comes to coding, programming, and game development, but really they have no idea the amount of time and work that goes into it.  Hell, it's entirely possible for the bug to be fixed on their (TMP's) internal test build, only for it to reappear when it gets pushed to the launcher and other players.  Game/program development is weird and there are lots of interesting issues and quirks that can easily appear and cause a problem especially when you're dealing with thousands of lines of code.

I'm well aware of how difficult it can be. However, it's laughable because rather than test updates and figure out fixes for a critical bug, they cave to people whining for instant update support. It's laughable because they clearly don't care about the quality of their work. They cave to impatient children (or adults who act like children, demanding everything instantly and then they still complain when it's broken) instead of having a spine and telling people that they can wait so they can fix this crap and make meaningful updates instead of releasing broken patches. I personally don't care how long it takes for them to fix critical issues before pushing an update. I'll wait months if it take them that long to fix a critical issue. I would much rather see a more polished release for a patch instead of a rushed, untested, and broken release for patches. Because then at least the game can be played and enjoyed. It is not enjoyable when you get rammed by trolls and then you can't rescue without having to Alt+F4 your damn game every time.

There is no excuse for such broken releases, difficult to code or not. If they cared even the slightest about the quality of their work, they'd grow a spine and tell their fanboys to wait so they can test and fix broken features. Truckers MP is literally the only multiplayer option for the games. They have no competition. There is no reason to rush updates. All the people who complain about wanting instant support for the latest game updates will still be here after however long it takes to support them PROPERLY.

On 12/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, enex SLOVENIA said:

Still even big ones can slip through cracks because of different configuration that all of us have.

Configuration has nothing to do with it. A core feature of the game is broken. Configuration of games or hardware on other people's systems has no effect on this whatsoever.

We are using this mod for free and cannot expect to be bug-free. SCS Releases Continuous updates that TMP has to look at that again. In Addition to these, people request a lot of features which they have to implement to make the user satisfaction. Of course, TMP will test each update before releasing it. If we expect a bug-free mod then it will not be released forever.

Hi @dragonslayingmaster1000,

I'm sure they test it. But with a community this big constantly pushing for updates to be out a lot of the times people ask if the update is out the day SCS updates, so with the amount of devs they have they can't always test everything. They don't pay for Game Testers so no one can really stress the game out meaning bugs are not always found. All big companies have their games tested for months on end maybe ever years and have a team of people testing it who are paid and a team of developers who are paid and work on it 8-12 hours a day. So with that said even those games that have funding and all these teams there are always bugs big small some updates that are tested don't even launch meaning they can't find other issues with the title. I know this because I'm a game tester and I do this 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I hope you understand. 

Thank you

Beenz

Language: English

Support System | Knowledge Base | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback System

Remember stay positive ❤️

On 12/26/2019 at 10:05 PM, Sanguinem Luna said:

I'm well aware of how difficult it can be. However, it's laughable because rather than test updates and figure out fixes for a critical bug, they cave to people whining for instant update support. It's laughable because they clearly don't care about the quality of their work. They cave to impatient children (or adults who act like children, demanding everything instantly and then they still complain when it's broken) instead of having a spine and telling people that they can wait so they can fix this crap and make meaningful updates instead of releasing broken patches. I personally don't care how long it takes for them to fix critical issues before pushing an update. I'll wait months if it take them that long to fix a critical issue. I would much rather see a more polished release for a patch instead of a rushed, untested, and broken release for patches. Because then at least the game can be played and enjoyed. It is not enjoyable when you get rammed by trolls and then you can't rescue without having to Alt+F4 your damn game every time.

There is no excuse for such broken releases, difficult to code or not. If they cared even the slightest about the quality of their work, they'd grow a spine and tell their fanboys to wait so they can test and fix broken features. Truckers MP is literally the only multiplayer option for the games. They have no competition. There is no reason to rush updates. All the people who complain about wanting instant support for the latest game updates will still be here after however long it takes to support them PROPERLY.

I would like to say there is an excuse. If you look on the developer list you can see that there isn't much devs. So they have to update the game and run through it with a community constantly asking for the update the community gets mad and frustrated. The devs aren't paid there is no real game testers that we know of other then I guess the devs. Look at VR titles or and big chain gaming company. Their games might look like they have no bugs but they go under testing by a team of game testers who test every aspect of the game 8 hours a day and are paid. Those big company always have bugs to where you can't even launch the game or it crashing when doing something but they aren't seen because they go through months/years possibly of testing. TMP doesn't have a team of 10-20 gametesters testing every update months before it comes in. So therefor bugs will be missed and they can be big or small the game is in alpha and it say bugs will be in the game. I'm a gametester I work on games 8 hours a day. I can tell you TMP is not broken and is doing a hell of a job. Also TMP Devs start updating the mod when SCS pushes an update and we seen it first hand just recently they pushed the update and then pushed like 5 more updates which TMP had no idea was coming so they can't start months prior to the update like most companies.

Language: English

Support System | Knowledge Base | TruckersMP Rules | Feedback System

Remember stay positive ❤️

On 1/4/2020 at 4:19 AM, Beenz. said:

I would like to say there is an excuse. If you look on the developer list you can see that there isn't much devs. So they have to update the game and run through it with a community constantly asking for the update the community gets mad and frustrated. The devs aren't paid there is no real game testers that we know of other then I guess the devs. Look at VR titles or and big chain gaming company. Their games might look like they have no bugs but they go under testing by a team of game testers who test every aspect of the game 8 hours a day and are paid. Those big company always have bugs to where you can't even launch the game or it crashing when doing something but they aren't seen because they go through months/years possibly of testing. TMP doesn't have a team of 10-20 gametesters testing every update months before it comes in. So therefor bugs will be missed and they can be big or small the game is in alpha and it say bugs will be in the game. I'm a gametester I work on games 8 hours a day. I can tell you TMP is not broken and is doing a hell of a job. Also TMP Devs start updating the mod when SCS pushes an update and we seen it first hand just recently they pushed the update and then pushed like 5 more updates which TMP had no idea was coming so they can't start months prior to the update like most companies.

That is nice way to put it. If I encounter any bugs or something frustrating I remember that all this code was written by small group of talented individuals and its them and staff that this mod really belong to, not us. I'm consider myself lucky to be along for the ride.

• Business Analyst

Developing the multiplayer modification is a hard task that you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of. Even though our developers are volunteers, they put in many hours of their free time to fix issues or to work on future projects. In addition to that, every time that SCS releases an update our developers have to make it compatible to work. This is a difficult process because SCS doesn't share their code or the changes that they've made with our devopers team. The F7 bug that was present for a few weeks was not an easy thing to fix, otherwise it obviosuly would have been fixed within hours or days, but it could be dodged by a trick that our support team shared with the public. 

Click here if you want to read a more in depth and recent reply from our lead developer regarding the development process of our mod: 

• Chev locked this topic

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for creating a thread on our forum. Sadly, it has been over 14 days since the last reply.

For this reason, I must lock and archive your thread to keep our forums organized.

Kind Regards,

Chev

Community Moderator

//Locked and Archived.

Have a question? Feel free to message me.

Feedback | Rules | Support | News | Meet the Team

Archived