The speedlimit thread

the_bolt1

Hi, before making a suggestion I would like to see opinions of fellow truckers out there.

As I came back to the game today, the first thing I noticed was the speed limit. It's now 110 KMPH which is decent for a truck, but not for a car. I know most of you are gonna say that high speeds would make it dangerous for other people, but I have a solution for this and it might work.

See, we have levels of truckers such as Veteran Driver I, Veteran Driver II and so on. So why not set speed limit for each level? for example Veteran Driver I cannot drive above 100 KMPH, Veteran Driver II cannot drive above 150 KMPH and so on. I think this would prevent newbies from reckless driving. Back then when there was no speed limit, I could easily control the Skoda at 200 KMPH being a very experienced driver in ETS 2 (having driven car modifications in single-player as well as other types of trucks). They are probably many like me who can drive at high-speeds but safe. If you are still concerned about safety of truckers, then I think you can do stuff like "Driving at high speeds must be at your own responsibility, you are liable for any damage". This would encourage more safe drivers at high-speeds. I don't know what else to add, but would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Those ranks are only about forum accounts. There are lots of players who don't even have forum accounts, so they don't have any ranks at all, it would be unfair that someone with Veteran Driver 4 and only 100 hours in the game can drive faster than other players with lower or no rank but 2000 hours in the game. Secondly, having a 2 or 4 year olds account doesn't make players better or safer than others that can have just opened their accounts. Thirdly, there's already a way for people who want to drive faster than 110 Km/h and not be a danger to others, it's called arcade server. Lastly, that statement about "your own responsibility, you are liable for any damage" is and always has been there and didn't work at encouraging people to drive safer. Lots of people didn't care and that's one of the reasons why speed limits had to be implemented. Better safe than sorry, they say. Just my 2 cents.

As good as this sounds, it will make a lot of confusion and a lot of extra work.

For example: if a new member, or someone who doesn't have a forum profile yet is limited to 90/100 km/h, and gets overtaken by someone who is driving 150+ km/h, the slower player will call hacks and probably gonna report the other driver. This creates more useless reports in game and hides genuine reports, as well as puts more pressure and work on the moderators that are handling website reports.

And the limiter is a server-sided thing, so it will make a lot of work and coding for the Developers to make a plugin for this.

Talking about the handling of a car at 200+ km/h: This means, just as you said, you haven't driven on MP in a while. Well, since then, the physics changed so much, that you can loose control over you Scout in a corner when you are driving at 70 km/h and not using the throttle. As well as the new "Space Program Launches" you get sometimes is and other hazard, if you can accelerate over the current speed limit.

As for the current server limits: there's much less accidents happening now then before. Even during the 150 km/h we had accidents caused by speeding players.

But you can feel free to make a suggestion about this, maybe (if it fires up the community) it will be a thing in the future.

It’s no need for it... I never drive the car because of the physics of the game isn’t made for it. I’ve drove the speed limit in the car and hit a bump and went flying and tipped. So I couldn’t imagine what would happen if I was going max speed or even higher. 

I’d actually say to reduce the limit in the car...

In my opinion the many people don’t take the Scout’s very seriously, no matter how long they’ve played the game..

If you want to go fast in the car just go on the Arcade server. It will be a lot more fun and that’s what it was made for.

Dylan

Steam | TruckersMPTwitter |

Discord: .Dylan#0001

To be honest, I like the idea of your suggestion however, I think the speed limit should stay as it is as it's extremely reasonable. The car's are an additional extra to the game and most people don't use it properly. I think the speed limit should stay as it is for both cars/trucks! But don't forget about the arcade server/sp if you want to drive fast.

18 hours ago, buksee said:

Talking about the handling of a car at 200+ km/h: This means, just as you said, you haven't driven on MP in a while. Well, since then, the physics changed so much, that you can loose control over you Scout in a corner when you are driving at 70 km/h and not using the throttle. As well as the new "Space Program Launches" you get sometimes is and other hazard, if you can accelerate over the current speed limit.

Well, I am a modder and I usually develop car modifications. You can find my work on ets2.lt. Since I am testing cars every now and then, I am aware of the 1.35 update and consequences that come with it. I have driven trucks and cars extensively on single-player (400k kms and 950+ playing hours to be exact). Well guess I am just too good to handle a car at 200 KMPH with the new physics. It also depends on the road though. If you throttle down a vehicle on a ramp or over any obstacle on the road, then, you are obviously bound to lose control. As long as the road is clean and straight, nobody stops you from driving at even speeds of such as 300 KMPH.

I am also aware that it would be a tremendous job for the developers to implement such complicated things. But I believe it would be great in the long run. You can also set speed limits based on a player's playing hours on Steam or TruckersMP. I mean there should be something which lets the system set dedicated speed limit based on your level/playing hours or whatever it takes. I see many of so called master truckers or veteran drivers saying that driving a Skoda would make you lose control. I have driven Skoda based cars and Skoda Superb itself in single-player and I always slow down whenever I sense a bumpy road ahead. Not sure if I am too good at this game. Say for an instance, people simply don't slow down when somebody wants to merge in their lane and it usually ends up with a crash. This game is not just about accelerating all the time. You are not supposed to go on bumps on high speeds or even speeds such as 70 KMPH in a truck, let alone a car. If the playerbase respected driving manners, professionalism then I believe there would never be a requirement for speed limits.

6 hours ago, the_bolt1 said:

The person who doesn't slow down.

Hate to break it to you, but the law on this in most modern countries is that the person merging is responsible for ensuring the lane they wish to move into is clear, which would make most collisions involving a lane merge their fault.

18 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

WOW. That's cool. So I'm driving perfectly fine, some guy decides to cut off because of a bad overtaking - crash, or some guy decides to enter the road from a side (e.g. a secondary way, a gas station, etc.) without looking - crash, and it is my fault? Where did you get your driving license? In a lottery?

The fault might be of the person who tries to cut off, but it's your responsibility to slow down to avoid a crash. Being cut off and not slowing down is obviously a green signal for crash.

Additional note: Speedlimits can be unrestricted on AutoBahns. There is already a way to detect whether you're in a city or on a highway. I guess it won't be that difficult to add a script which detects if you are on AutoBahn.

Arcade server is just not fun with 200 players and no collisions. It would be much more realistic if you can drive at high speeds such as on AutoBahn and other non-speed-limit areas.

• 2 weeks later...

@the_bolt1,

following you find some very simple rules regarding overtaking. Both, the one who wants to overtake and the one being overtaken have their rights and duties.

Overtaking is only allowed if

• the one who wants to overtake can exclude any impediment of any traffic during the entire overtaking process
  • the one who wants to overtake drives at a significantly higher speed than the one who is overtaken.

Overtaking is not allowed if

• the traffic situation is unclear
  • overtaking is prohibited by traffic signs (which can also be a road marking, e.g. one or multiple continuous line(s)).

Who overtakes must not hinder the one who is being overtaken.
Who is overtaken must not increase his speed.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:38 AM, the_bolt1 said:

The fault might be of the person who tries to cut off, but it's your responsibility to slow down to avoid a crash. Being cut off and not slowing down is obviously a green signal for crash.

Cutting off traffic is clearly a violation of the requirement to exclude any impediment of any traffic during the entire overtaking process.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, the_bolt1 said:

Arcade server is just not fun with 200 players and no collisions. It would be much more realistic if you can drive at high speeds such as on AutoBahn and other non-speed-limit areas.

Would it be fun for you if the arcade server had lets say 3000 players with no collisions enabled?

I think it's a good idea, but it shouldnt increase the speed. They should probably implement something similar, that would decrease the maximum speed players could go. For example, if someone got banned for reckless driving, they max speed would decrease down to 100km/h instead of 110 km/h, this would make the road safer. I guess when it comes to driving faster, maybe they could do unlimited speed on Autobahn, as that is like irl.

A really nice suggestion ! But from my viewpoint, it's a good choice to keep this speed limit. Because, for everyone, it's a common sense for truckers to make mistakes such as do not focus on the screen. Moreover, we have Arcade. So it will be a good choice to go to Arcade if you want to get a higher speed.

Hello! I think the suggestion is ok but will not work and here is my way of seeing it: Veteran drivers that don't have forum accounts can get upset simply because someone that doesn't know how to drive good can have a forum account that is old granting them high speeds and increasing the chances of collisions, also who doesn't want to drive fast? Everyone does! Veterans and new drivers although some veterans or new drivers want it as realistic as possible and not go over 90 KM/h. And that can lead to people just giving up from multiplayer all together! Or people can start selling forum accounts just for that reason. A forum account that is Veteran II for just lets say 3 or 5 dollars or euros? People will probably buy them and it will work as a black market for the game although the idea of the devs and other people that had the idea of this free mod for people to play together will be completely ruined, yes you can support them by donating to their patreon but making money from something they made for you to enjoy will be completely wrong! That's my opinion on the suggestion.

They could always just detect the amount of collisions individual players have and if you get over a certain amount of collisions within a certain amount of time then you're hit with the speed limiter for 24 hours. If you exceed the collision LIMIT repeatedly the amount of time you are bound to the speed limiter is increased endlessly until you learn to be a good driver.

Never thought we'd be having a discussion about 90 or 100 MPH being "too fast" in a game that has VERY forgiving handling characteristics like this one. It takes nearly no effort to drive properly and safely slow down for corners until you get over 100MPH. If there is really that many bad drivers out there then obviously there simply hasn't been enough perma bans handed out lol. 

You have never truly trucked unless you have trucked with a MAD COW!

Archived