Too high average ping (Promods 1 server)

Ghost[DK]

Question

Hi TruckersMP

I'm having these strange disconnections on Promods server 1 where I can drive for more than 1 hour and suddenly in areas with low density of players I get disconnect.

It says "Too high average ping! (Current 34 ms, average 1366 ms, max 600 ms)".

I've been trucking for more than 1000 hours on the normal ETS2 and ATS servers (standard maps) with up to 140 ms (ATS US) ping and have never experienced this before.

Can you please help me, what is the reason for this and how do I get around this issue ?

Br GhostDK

(Game.log.txt file attached)

Too high average ping error - game.log.txt

• True Story 1

9 answers to this question

Hello, when joining any server try and avoid joining where there is a high build up of players.  Before connecting teleport to a different city then when you're connected teleport to the place you were originally going to.

You could also check these helpful steps before connecting

1. Downloading anything in the background (windows updates etc)

2. Use a CAT 5e or CAT6 cable (ethernet ) to connect to your router instead of using wifi.

3. Move closer to the router (Use the smallest length of cable I've mentioned above)

4. If possible close any background programs.

5. If your router is rather old then make sure that the firmware is up to date to it's latest version.

6. You could have a chat to your internet service provider regarding upgrading your current download/upload speeds to a much higher one (only do this if every other step has failed)

Regards

Hello :)

Try these:

- Closing any other unnecessary applications on your computer whilst playing MP.

- Linked closely to the point above, ensuring that nothing is downloading whilst you're playing, i.e. Windows updates or Steam updates. 

- Disconnecting other unnecessary devices from your WiFi whilst playing / playing at a time where there aren't many other people using your internet connection and thus bandwidth. 

- Using an ethernet connection as opposed to WiFi to produce a more stable and consistent connection. 

- If ethernet is not an option, attempt to move closer to the router. 

- Finally, you could also contact your ISP to see if there's a better service they can offer you, an upgraded/newer version of their router or to see if there's a problem on their end which may be resulting in high ping for the end user. 

Note: You can use a website such as https://www.speedtest.net to test what your average ping is, however it might not be representative of what you get in game because as mentioned above you will likely be a lot closer to where the server for the  test is located than where TMP's server is located. However, what it can tell you is whether it's an issue whereby your general connection is poor, or whether your general connection is fine and that your ping is only high whilst playing MP due to location. 

Also try this:

You can try to clear your DNS cache. 
You can do this by running Windows Command Prompt (CMD) as administrator, and run the following command: 
ipconfig /flushdns 

If you are using Wi-Fi as the connection method, switch to wired connection with an Ethernet cable if you can. 
This will improve your overall connection quality, and therefore, download & upload speeds and lower your ping. 
If you can't switch to wired connection; make sure no other devices are connected, and make sure your router isn't placed near anything that could interfere with signals (ie. cellphones, microwave, TV) 

try to clear your ARP cache. 
You can do this by running Windows Command Prompt (CMD) as administrator, and run the following command: 
netsh interface ip delete arpcache 

You can try to clear your PC's temporary files by using software like CCleaner or Revo. 

At last, if none of these steps seems to be working, plug out & restart your router after waiting for a couple of minutes. 

• Woah! 1

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your answers.

Came home from work today only to find my router needed a reboot (was only going like 10% speed and my phone couldn't connect to wifi). Then I remembered that last week I requested my ISP to change some settings and they probably did that yesterday or today because that usually means I have to reboot the router.

Now I've been trucking tonight for 3 hour's (on Promods server 1) without any problems, except for some strange peak's on my ping. At first they came every 30-60 seconds and could go as high as 144 ms (normally it's approx 36 ms). At first I tried to close all browser-windows etc, but no result.

As I did install Adobe Premiere Pro some weeks ago, I then identified 4 adobe services (see below) that I stopped ( 2 and 2 and then all 4) and by doing so, it seemed like the ping peak's only came every 3-5 minutes and now max 80-90 ms. Strange thing was, that after some time the ping peaks allmost disappeared (1 every 10 minutes up to 100 ms) and it stayed this way even after starting all 4 services again.

I can't say it's not the "normal picture" with a single high peak now and then, as long as I don't get disconnected from the server, so for now I have to conclude it was a combination of my router needing a reboot and some services (probably Adobe's) "running wild".

The 4 services is:

- "Adobe Acrobat Update Service"

- "AdobeUpdateService"

- "Adobe Genuine Monitor Service"

- "Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service" 

Btw my router is only a couple of month old, provided by my ISP with my new 300/60 Mbit/s connection. I use a 0,5 m cat 6.0 cable to connect to my 1 Gbps LAN adapter in my Windows 7 PC.

Thanks again for all your different suggestions and fast answers. It's highly appreciated !

The best community ever.

Br GhostDK

Nice to see the issue has been sorted out. I will offer some advice....restart/reboot your router every two weeks or so. I’m currently with Sky and to keep things running smooth I restart/reboot my Sky Hub and my switch. I’ve literally not had any issues like the ones you’ve experienced and nor will I ever. 

Regards

Hello there,

I am glad that you have solved the big part of your problem and that you are not able to stay on the server.

I will now be closing this topic. Should you require our help again in the future, please do not hesitate to create a new topic or create a Support Ticket.

Have a great day! :)

// Locked and moved to Solved.

Kindest Regards,

TFM DJ ccowie

TruckersMP Support