Gaming Wheel suggestions

andy Suter

Can anyone suggest a reasonable wheel to use? Im currently using a controller and keyboard and seem to be fine but I fancy a bit more immersion.

Id to control the accelerator with buttons or triggers rather than pedals as i can never seem to manage plastic pedals. I’ll also just use auto box rather than manual gears but I can be persuaded against that

Budget isn’t too much of an issue but I don’t want to be spending more on a wheel than the pc itself!

Any suggestions?

Perhaps a Logitech G29 or G920?

They're supposed to be really good, but they are a bit pricey from what I've seen. Not sure if you can get the wheel only, or if it's all a package.

29 minutes ago, andy Suter said:

Thanks guys, so it looks like the logitech G29 is the wheel of choice? 

My local electrical store (PC world) have them in for £200 inc gear shift but how does that work if you have 12 gears?

You can bind one of your buttons e.g. the paddle shifters to go up and down a set of gears. So once you hit 6th gear you can press a button and then change to first in order to be in 7th gear. Hope that makes sense!

4 minutes ago, Conwell_ said:

You can bind one of your buttons e.g. the paddle shifters to go up and down a set of gears. So once you hit 6th gear you can press a button and then change to first in order to be in 7th gear. Hope that makes sense!

It does makes sense but sounds like id be concentrating more on the gears than the road haha.

2 hours ago, andy Suter said:

It does makes sense but sounds like id be concentrating more on the gears than the road haha.

You can always use 6 gears transmission in your truck. It's what I do. And then 2 different trucks, one with 480 HP engine for cargoes up to 25 tons, one with 650 HP engine for heavier ones.

EDIT: G29 wheel set pedals are metallic, not plastic. The brake pedal is also stiffer than the others, so it makes it feel more "real". I'm using a G27 right now, but I believe that the pedals are the same in both models.

Definitely Logitech G29, absolutely fantastic wheel, plenty of buttons on the wheel as well to assign to the main settings such as engine start, wipers, parking break, lights, hazards, indicators, horns, etc. 

I know you mentioned not particularly wanting pedals but the pedals that come with the wheel are so easy to use, plus the H-Shifter is amazing as well if you like driving manually. 

All 3 only cost me around £200 and it is totally worth the money. 

I am using controller too (Sony PS4), for years, and it's perfect for me, can't even change my non-ideal buttons mapping, because the muscle memory is too strong :D.

I am not totally convinced to get a wheel, because I would need to learn hard  to use it, and I would probably suck too much, so not sure if that would add to the immersion for me, but yeah, Logitech G29 or G920 + shifter looks like ideal option (only production models by Logitech).

That or Thrustmaster, which nobody mentions, the difference is that Thrustmaster is quite a bit more pricey, the shifter is also 7+1 instead of Logitech's 6+1, but costs about twice as much, but it looks like good quality, anyone has something on this?

The thing about the shifter, I wouldn't want to use 6 speed transmission in my truck, having one button on the wheel mapped to range switch (not very handy)  is maybe enough for 12 speeds, but what about 18 speed transmissiosn in american trucks. You would need another button to split gears (even less handy) , because these switches irl are placed on the shift stick, and these shifters don't have any switches.

Because of this some hardcore sim truckers are using thing called SKRS shifter that replaces the knob of the shifter with the one that has two toggle switches for range selection and splitting gears. You can find this on Amazon, but the price is at least 100$. (detailed video here).

Anyway, even with a wheel,  I would probably keep using auto transmission, with occasional manual sequentional gear changes, like I do now, just maybe try manual after I get very used to the wheel

(most european trucks are auto anyway, unlike american trucks).

3 hours ago, andy Suter said:

Thanks guys. So it looks like the g29 is the way to go. 

My next question is.... does it really add to the immersion? (im using a controller at the minute which works fine). I dont play other driving games so it will be £200 just to play ETS2 with a wheel.

It will make the game so much better mate .id never go back to a pad  .take you’re  time setting it up just how you like it . And it will add so much to the game experience.

• Community Manager

I bought a second hand G29 last year and I haven't regretted it since. I enjoy the game much more.

I had to adjust to it as driving is a bit different from the keyboard, definitely backing up took me some time to get used to. But really ads to the experience (G29, but do not have the shifter myself)

Groet / Sincerly,

Pascal (Purrie)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived