Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

How to drive safely in Iceland

So promods recently came out for truckersmp and Iceland is one of the most populated area right now. Iceland has some windy, slippery, narrow roads which makes for a unique driving experience but it requires much more careful driving than what we're used to in vanilla ETS2. I figured I would make this guide so people know how to drive safely.

• The most important thing you should do is follow the speed limits, especially if you have a trailer. The speed limit is normally 80 km/h (speed limit signs say 90 km/h but that's for cars) but may drop to 60, 40, or even 30 around the windy parts of the road. Without a trailer you can probably get away with going over the speed limit a bit on straight parts but even then you should be careful driving fast with players around.
  • Never overtake on a corner. It's dangerous and if someone comes toward you in oncoming traffic you will not have much time to react. Only overtake if the road markings say you can overtake, there is no oncoming traffic, and if the person in front is going under speed limit.
  • Watch out for slippery parts of the road, especially around corners. The physics aren't as intense as winter mod but if you're going too fast then you won't be able to steer much so keep your speed down. Also sometimes the slippery parts can abruptly end and if you're steering too much and the physics end you can start rolling over so steer the other way quickly to recover.
  • There are some areas in Iceland which can only fit 1 person at a time. There's usually a sign before this happens. If there's a blue arrow on the right side of the sign you have right of way, if it's red you don't have right of way. Unless they let you go then give them right of way.
  • Most roads in Iceland are much more narrow than normal roads. Keep this in mind when going around corners take it a bit wide so you don't swing your trailer into the opposite lane.
  • Keep your distance and don't pressure the person in front of you to go faster. Wait for a opportunity to overtake if they're going a bit slower than the speed limit but don't tailgate. If they have to brake suddenly or lag back you're going to rear end them. This goes for anywhere though obviously.

That's it for this guide, I hope it helped! If there's anything else I should add let me know. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really hard to drive there thanks for the guide. ❤️ 

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

Wow, checking up on old threads and I found this one has a decent amount of replies in 2021 for this post even though this post was made in 2019 when there were lots of players in Iceland for the first month or two of Promods MP being out. It died out after that. However, it had a period sometime in between where the promods server had 2500+ players again (peaked at 2800 one day) and Iceland was decently populated again but it was short lived just like back in 2019.

See this thread, it was around late November 2020, December, and early January 2021, and I tried to promote Iceland in chat at the Kirkenes quarry (and encourage others to do it too in that thread) to get more people there. However, even if that worked a bit it was short lived once again, had a good time driving there again before lots of people left there: 

Anyway, I'm glad this guide still helps people out. Certain things in there can definitely be applicable in singleplayer too since there's barely any players on promods servers anymore.

Jan 2022 Update: Iceland has a decent amount of players again in the new populated fishing village called Norðurfjörður (in northern Iceland).