AI Traffic - Should it be Client-Side only?

Basher515

Yes, this is another thread about AI Traffic in TruckersMP, which people have been waiting for since it's teaser last year. I think it's understandable that syncing ai vehicles amongst hundreds if not thousands of players is a monumental task to do, both development and hardware-wise. With the release of ProMods, that adds to thousands more kilometers where you won't really see any other truck for hours on end. And for me, that's the reason why AI Traffic appeals to me, because it's boring to drive on an empty freeway, and it would have been better to play SP instead in that scenario. But we want to see actual players on the road, so we keep on chugging at TruckersMP servers on more populated areas, right?

I've been reading threads about AI traffic, and people are actually saying that it's a "bad idea", as it's easy to be manipulated by trolls who block off roads, or again, the hardware requirements for the server to sync up these cars, etc.

So why strive to sync up these AI traffic to online players, where you can just use it client-side instead?

Simple idea: If there's no player within 1km radius from your truck, AI traffic is generated solely for you, collisions and everything. Just let ETS2 or ATS generate the traffic like in SP. If there's a player incoming within that radius, AI traffic simply fades/disappears. Once that player is gone, and you are alone once more, do the same thing again and start generating AI traffic. That's it.

There's already calculations being done when a player is adjacent to your position, so it's a simple trigger to disable/enable AI traffic. And since there's no syncing involved, there's really little to no load on the server, making it really viable.

Frankly, it'll make the game more lively if you're alone driving on that east part of Europe with little to no players around.

What do you think? Should AI Traffic be implemented as client-side only?

There's a problem with that: Every client has different seed for random number generator, which is used when generating traffic. Having the AI traffic synced on the client will lead to major issues, as other player may see you colliding with absolutely nothing while you have crashed into client side AI vehicle. 

If you want to ask anywhere on forums whenever 32-bit version of MP will be supported in future, try to start GTA V on your 32-bit machine before checking game's system requirements.

Instead of quoting the post above, use the ^ character. The character is actually pointing to the post above.

How to fix sudden steering issue on your USB steering wheel

It wouldn't work. Random road events were a problem in MP when someone had them enabled because only that someone could see an accident blocking their lane, swerve to avoid the accident and becoming a problem for other players on the same road. If people drove with common sense it could be a good idea, but we all know that most players would be just racing against the AI traffic... Which only they would be able to see. The number of accidents would grow by the thousands. That's why anything on the roads has to be synchronized for all players, so everyone can see the obstacle and take preemptive actions to avoid accidents.

While I was preparing new profile in singleplayer for promods (with promods 2.4.1 installed), AI traffic was actually driving me crazy, beacuse it fails incredibly in almost everything. 

I swear SCS makes it dumber and dumber with every new game update, I remember times, when AI would allow you to merge, when it wouldn't inexplicably stop and block you off completely when your left blinker was on.

I think SCS would be better off developing their own version of AI traffic, something like bots, that would drive aimlessly around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived