0.2.2.6.2 Released

ShawnCZek

• Game Developer

@Sanguinem Luna: In last month, we had to support multiple versions of American Truck Simulator because as you could notice, there were some other updates and binary changes to the game we had to support. With the current size of this project, it takes some time to support even little updates to make sure everything is working as intended, especially on these major updates. However, it cannot always go well.

We are only a community modification, not a company. Therefore, we cannot afford paying testers that would spend a full day in our modification trying to find all bugs and report them properly. And you cannot really expect anybody to do this for free. As all staff members are only volunteers, their time is very limited as this is only a hobby for them, not a job. In fact, most of our staff members are either employees or students. Therefore, if we wanted to have the coverage of testing like game studios, testing such a version would take one or two weeks at least. Additionally, we need multiple people with different hardware to test so the testing time would take much longer. And this also applies for developers. In fact, since the beginning of the project only one person has been doing these support updates. And this very one person was working on this project on his own for 4 years. In the middle of this year, I slowly started joining the game development, too, however, I still do not know all the necessary things to fix all bugs and provide solutions to all requests.
Note: all updates are tested before the release, however, due to reasons mentioned above, not all bugs can be found quickly, and some bugs can be missed even after weeks.

At the end of the day, this project is still in the alpha stage. I can notice from your rant that you probably do not fully know what the alpha stage really means. Thus, I am providing you this very nice text from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

13 hours ago, Sanguinem Luna said:

The release date for RttBS was known for about... A week before it released. The release date was announced November 28th. https://blog.scssoft.com/2019/11/road-to-black-sea-release-date.html I find it extremely hard to believe y'all didn't know the release date. So, instead of waiting for RttBS to also release and to work on support for it, y'all immediately push an extremely broken update for TMP to "support" 1.36 a day before the DLC drops, and wasted a load of time in doing so because the update was made near immediately obsolete by RttBS releasing. And don't even try to say you weren't expecting SCS to release another patch with the DLC release. Because anyone paying attention even in the slightest, to previous DLC releases, should know that additional patches accompany DLC releases, especially map expansions.

The release date was known, indeed. However, what does that mean for us? We do not get the content earlier than other players as in fact we are still only players. Additionally, yes, SCS often releases patches for their new DLC and I am glad for this as it can be seen they care about the community. But again, how is this useful for us? We do not know how many patches will be there and I am very sure the majority of players want to play the DLC in the multiplayer a few days after the release, not a couple of months after the release.

13 hours ago, Sanguinem Luna said:

Start being actual developers and start doing things the right way. If it means a TMP update ends up being delayed until after New Years? So be it! At least then we, the players, can be assured the update will actually work correctly for once and not be a broken mess that was clearly rushed and had no thought put into it.

You have probably not paid attention to our social media, Discord or the forum at all. When a new update is released and we do not support it, we get spammed everywhere about the update and asking when it gets released. And trust us, we want to provide the support as soon as possible; same as the community does! Just check graphs of any game. The game is always mostly played when it gets some new content and/or features. Not several months after.

And before you get to replying to the next question, try to see the other side of the coin, too. Because if you really think it is that easy, you can become our another developer and make this better, do you not think so?

At the end of this text, I want to apologize for such a poor communication about the releases and updates. However, we prefer to do real work to only talking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • HaulieLove 1

JKTjx3r.jpg

Game Developer

Discord Bot Developer

4 hours ago, ShawnCZek said:

@Sanguinem Luna: In last month, we had to support multiple versions of American Truck Simulator because as you could notice, there were some other updates and binary changes to the game we had to support. With the current size of this project, it takes some time to support even little updates to make sure everything is working as intended, especially on these major updates. However, it cannot always go well.

We are only a community modification, not a company. Therefore, we cannot afford paying testers that would spend a full day in our modification trying to find all bugs and report them properly. And you cannot really expect anybody to do this for free. As all staff members are only volunteers, their time is very limited as this is only a hobby for them, not a job. In fact, most of our staff members are either employees or students. Therefore, if we wanted to have the coverage of testing like game studios, testing such a version would take one or two weeks at least. Additionally, we need multiple people with different hardware to test so the testing time would take much longer. And this also applies for developers. In fact, since the beginning of the project only one person has been doing these support updates. And this very one person was working on this project on his own for 4 years. In the middle of this year, I slowly started joining the game development, too, however, I still do not know all the necessary things to fix all bugs and provide solutions to all requests.
Note: all updates are tested before the release, however, due to reasons mentioned above, not all bugs can be found quickly, and some bugs can be missed even after weeks.

At the end of the day, this project is still in the alpha stage. I can notice from your rant that you probably do not fully know what the alpha stage really means. Thus, I am providing you this very nice text from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

The release date was known, indeed. However, what does that mean for us? We do not get the content earlier than other players as in fact we are still only players. Additionally, yes, SCS often releases patches for their new DLC and I am glad for this as it can be seen they care about the community. But again, how is this useful for us? We do not know how many patches will be there and I am very sure the majority of players want to play the DLC in the multiplayer a few days after the release, not a couple of months after the release.

You have probably not paid attention to our social media, Discord or the forum at all. When a new update is released and we do not support it, we get spammed everywhere about the update and asking when it gets released. And trust us, we want to provide the support as soon as possible; same as the community does! Just check graphs of any game. The game is always mostly played when it gets some new content and/or features. Not several months after.

And before you get to replying to the next question, try to see the other side of the coin, too. Because if you really think it is that easy, you can become our another developer and make this better, do you not think so?

At the end of this text, I want to apologize for such a poor communication about the releases and updates. However, we prefer to do real work to only talking.

No-one ever said people have to dedicate whole days to testing. Just like how everyone who currently volunteers their time to any project like this, there are surely many other people who'd be happy to volunteer their time to testing if it meant that the mod would have much smoother updates. The fact you assume it still needs to be a full time job is ridiculous. The multiple different types of hardware needed for more conclusive testing would already be handled under a dedicated testing team. That is unless y'all TMP Staff are somehow magically running the exact same system configurations. Which I'm sure we both know isn't the case, so that's a poor excuse/argument. I am well aware of how just one person working on a project can be difficult. I see it literally daily as I'm part of a mod dev team for a Fallout 4 mod. While there are others on the dev team that help out on occasion, about 90% of the work is done by one man. I myself have slowly started learning some smaller things to help out where I can, because I have more than enough free time. So I also can understand that. And it really doesn't look like much testing happened at all. And I do actually know what an alpha is. We have many of our own alphas, internally, for the Fallout 4 mod that myself and the team I'm with work on. (I understand comparing something like a Fallout 4 mod to a mod like TMP isn't the same codewise, but I can bet there are more similarities than you'd think there are in various aspects of either)

I never said or implied that you get content earlier than anyone else. However, it seems extremely foolish to me to release an update that would have obviously been made immediately obsolete. It was wasted time and effort. There is no defense or excuse for this.

No, I don't pay attention the TMP social media. I could honestly care less to pay attention to it. However, that doesn't mean I'm blind to all the people complaining about wanting an update. I deal with such a thing on a near daily basis myself. As mentioned above, I'm with a Fallout 4 mod dev team. We hear the whining and complaining and demands for update releases constantly. Especially from the more "vocal minority" of our Xbox userbase. However, the difference between us and TMP? We have a thick skin and we stand our ground. We don't bend to people demanding updates. We care about the quality of our work, and we know that even if it takes a few weeks, or even a month, or hell even longer, to get an update out? We know that those same people demanding an update be released ASAP will still be there after however long it takes to get an update out.

It's a trade-off you have to make between people whining for an update, or people whining that the update is broken because you decided to cave and discard quality. It's a shite situation either way because the players will whine either way. But at the end of the day, it comes down to if you, as a developer, truly care about the quality of your work, or if you only care to cater to the most "vocal and demanding" of your userbase, which we all know are the people constantly complaining for updates to be released as quickly as possible. I'm sure there are a lot of people who play TMP who feel the same way as I do, who are tired of the broken and rushed updates, and would rather wait a few weeks if it meant getting more stable updates, but who decide to sit silently and just let it go for whatever reasons. I was one of them. I chose to sit mostly silently while update, after update, after update, released broken. And to be perfectly honest, I've been much more vocal about the neglect shown to ATS MP and the blatant spoiling ETS2 MP gets. I've been more vocal about that than I have been about every single TMP update being broken time after time after time. But now? No. I've had enough. Despite my grievances with TMP, y'all are literally the only multiplayer option for the sims, so I still play the mod when updates come to support the newest game updates and map expansions. But I'm done being silent about this.

Also, you already have a situation with supporting ProMods where some people just flat-out won't be playing TMP because the ProMods Servers aren't currently supporting 1.36 and RttBS. And they'll be waiting for however long it takes ProMods to update for the new content. But you know what? When ProMods does update for 1.36 and RttBS, and the updated support for ProMods on TMP comes? They'll come right back to it. No matter how long it takes. Why? Because you're the only mod that offers a multiplayer experience. And whether they like the wait or not, they have no other choices. So it ain't gonna hurt anything if people have to wait for base game support too. Will the wait suck? Yeah. It's gonna suck big time. For both the TMP Team and the players. But when the wait's over, and the updates come and are actually relatively stable for once? The wait will become worth it.

You probably won't know how it feels, because y'all rush updates, or maybe you will know how it feels, because y'all have put some time and care into stuff like ProMods support and some of the special events, but the feeling you get when you release an update, after bearing and putting up with the many complaints and whining for instant updates, and the community reaction to the stable update is so much greater and positive, the feeling is indescribable. You feel so much pride, knowing you put your heart into making the update good for once, despite the demands for instant support, despite how long it might have taken. And that? I don't know about you, or the other TMP Staff, but to me? That matters so much more than just simply "making people happy and shutting them up" about supporting the newest game updates. If people are gonna complain and whine either way, wouldn't you much more rather it be complaints and whining about the updates taking longer to come out, than be because the update came rushed and broken? I know what I'd rather it be.

And you know? Tell you what. If y'all make a dedicated testing team to test TMP updates for a week or two internally before they officially come out, I'll apply for it. Because, despite my grievances and issues with the Truckers MP mod, I do like to play it from time to time. And I really would like to see it become much more stable every update rather than being broken every update.

And you can keep your apology. I'll accept it when, and ONLY WHEN, updates don't come rushed and broken. I've got a little saying that I like a lot. And I apply this saying to my position within the Fallout 4 mod dev team pretty regularly. You may have seen it in my profile pic if you look closely at it (now that I've updated my profile pic. I don't log on here often so it was still an older one. But now you can see it). It goes a little something like this. "Acta non verba". It's Latin. I think it's pretty clear without translation, but if you can't make out what it means, go ahead and translate it. You say you prefer to do real work than talk. But so far, with every update coming broken not even 24 hours after a game has been updated? All I've seen is talk and no real work. Real work would look a lot more stable. Real work would take a much thicker skin and trading one type of complaint for another.

Y'all have a good day now. I've said my piece. I've made my complaints and feedback known. Though, I highly doubt y'all will change. I bet y'all will keep caving to people whining for fast updates and keep pushing broken updates, rather than ignoring the people who want it fast and putting some care into improving the quality of your work. But go ahead and feel free to prove me wrong when 1.37 comes. I'll be back to watching silently.

• Thanks 1

@Sanguinem Luna Like Shawn said, TruckersMP is still in Alpha phase, which means there is going to be bugs no matter how hard they test it and try to patch them..... also Star Citizen has been in alpha for almost 10 years and that game is still buggy as heck and its being made by an actual game studio with access to a test team. give the Devs a break, they can only do what they can in the time that they have.

1 hour ago, [PGN] Rizahakimi said:

Hi! need some help please :c what version of ets 2 i can use to play Trucker MP

now im ETS2 version 1.3.6.2.2..

now ETSMP version 1.3.6.2.1s..TQ

o/

Launch steam, then go to library, right click on ETS2, then properties, betas, and select 1.36 - incompatible for mods

It has worked fine for me :)

Best Regards,

chatyo

on ats i went an made the beta to 1.36 xfor incompadable mods an went on mp an i was kicked from server for my connection wasnt good i guess over 8x an yes i have two diff profiles and it did it to both my connection to the game is fine but when i get on mp is the problem right now. i have no mods on or anything to make my profile mess up or anything so i dont know what the problem is really

3 hours ago, Tree Master said:

on ats i went an made the beta to 1.36 xfor incompadable mods an went on mp an i was kicked from server for my connection wasnt good i guess over 8x an yes i have two diff profiles and it did it to both my connection to the game is fine but when i get on mp is the problem right now. i have no mods on or anything to make my profile mess up or anything so i dont know what the problem is really

It has noting to do with the Connection, its purely the time your HDD takes to load everything. Basically because it takes a few seconds to spawn everything the game has a tantrum & decides your lagging 

• Upvote 1

^ I have to disagree here. It has everything to do with the connection. I have a pretty decent connection with Sky fibre and all game (including OS) are installed on a nvme m.2 ssd’s and when (I don’t now because it defeats the purpose) I join and spawn in a very busy city and/or area even I get the “unreliable connection” status. 

If a player goes to a less populated city first and then connects to the server then when connected goes to the city they wanted to go in the first place they will be fine. The game will inevitably do a little bit of loading first but more importantly they’ll not be kicked due to them connecting earlier. 

What I'm trying to understand is why people still expect so much quality for an ALPHA product. I've seen numerous game breaking bugs in the past right after a big version change. But in the end, I knew they would work on it to fix it afterwards. We, the players, are also testers and have a responsibility to report the bugs to the team. In fact, I'm sure most known issues have been brought to the attention to TruckersMP team. I even know some issues that is still present from the time I first got on MP (and these issues probably was never fixed ever since the project has started.) Talking about *cough* freight market jobs/several "in-game years" late jobs. I know there's a workaround, but it's just to mention that it's still an issue ongoing for several years...

3 hours ago, [ST-LH] The Englishman said:

It has everything to do with the connection. I have a pretty decent connection with Sky fibre and all game (including OS) are installed on a nvme m.2 ssd’s and when (I don’t now because it defeats the purpose) I join and spawn in a very busy city and/or area even I get the “unreliable connection” status.

3 hours ago, ScaniaFan89 said:

It has noting to do with the Connection, its purely the time your HDD takes to load everything. Basically because it takes a few seconds to spawn everything the game has a tantrum & decides your lagging

6 hours ago, Turtle Brigade said:

i was kicked from server for my connection wasnt good

Alright I'm going to add my grain of salt here. Was the kick about high average ping or for unreliable connection Turtle Brigade?

-High ping: Abnormal delay of communication between server and client, usually caused by applications taking a large chunk of the home network bandwidth.

-Unreliable connection: Actual data lost between server and client (packet loss), can be caused by PC struggling, router issues or interference, internet service provider, bad data routing, or even the actual server network encountering issues in some cases (uncommon).

Alright so here's the thing, the only time I've ever had Unreliable Connection, was when the ProMods 1 server had issues with the network. Other than that, never, ever, had any other Unreliable connection kick. I've played with a few computers, with various CPU, GPU and hard drive configurations (HDD with different speed, SSD), and always been on the same DSL connection (about 6 mbps down and less than 1 mbps up I believe.) Plus I live in a somewhat "remote" location, but I guess some places/ISP could probably be "worse".

-Current PC: i7 8700k with gtx 1080ti, -Old laptop: i7 6700hq with gtx 960m, -Older laptop: i5 3230m with gt 730m

Now here's the thing, most of the case of unreliable connections that I've seen has not been solved, or at least that's what I'm noticing in the help forum threads, and can't remember any case that has been fixed on the TruckersMP public server on Discord. It's rather... Difficult to trace down the exact root causing the data to be lost. Too many times I've seen people saying "my internet is very good and fast", then proceeds to send a screenshot of their speed test... Yeah mate that means absolutely nothing at all I'm afraid. It can be fast, but is it really reliable? It looks like a super car that can accelerate very fast, but... The parts inside are cheap, or has other problems inside it. That's how I can describe it. Sometimes that problem can be hard to find by your own. Also in some cases, people complained about unreliable connections when they were loading in very low population areas. Some also claimed that it mostly happened on Simulation 1 server, and after the 1.36 update.

So... What exactly is causing that? I'd really like to know, but it always seems to be caused by various reasons that I can't always pin point.

Have you tested it on a different PC on the same home connection? I know a lot of people cannot afford to have another computer sadly.

Are you using Wi-Fi or straight Ethernet cable connection? Sounds a bit odd because I remember someone who had a bad Wi-Fi and was lagging a lot, but didn't get kicked for unreliable, but I guess it depends...

Have you tried using a VPN (Virtual Private Network)? There's many out there, but some are limited, and all have their pros and cons... And usually have to pay for the quality ones. But I'm not the best person to recommend which one unfortunately.

Even restarting the PC and the home router (Internet box) could potentially help in some scenarios.

1 hour ago, WrR0n said:

I play with three screens.

I'll tell you right away, that's your issue. It's been like that for people using DX11 Experimental on 1.35, and it's still causing issues on 1.36 unfortunately. I think even with single monitors, I've seen issues with people using odd screen resolutions that isn't 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't think there's any known fixes for that, other than using any supported "regular" resolutions (eg: 3840x2160, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, 1366×768, unsure about 4:3 resolutions as I never tested them.)

KkdaC1b.png

As mentioned @ShawnCZek :

This is very complex, and I understand very much his last message to the players, I was in his place, but worse, since I knew how to program but as self-taught.

As a player who supports these projects that are done with the heart and with will I will send some words to you developer: My personal advice is do not give explanations, players should consider that if the platform does not support the latest version, will have later versions to play, it is not these games that when launching a new update will make it impossible for players to play, they have an alternative, it is not the end of the story.

If it is annoying that they make you "Spamming" answer with the phrase "We are working on it" and that the players wait for the changue log. Please, I have experienced this pressure and I know what you feel, keep calm and communicate what is necessary with the players. Me and thousands of others support your project and wait patiently for the new updates and we don't go crazy asking for explanations. Another suggestion is that this publication should be dedicated solely to the exhibition of change records, people do not have to be commenting on this publication or reporting technical bugs, for that there is the section of bug report or the section of discussion. Please, for the sake of you close the comments, or create another publication in which you and your developers can comment only. 

Take it easy, take your time, since apart from dedicating yourself to this you work or study (as you mentioned). Let's not rush things or panic, because we generate a bad result and a bad environment.

Good luck and I wish you the best, for my part, I will report failures to give you a hand. It's the best I can do, if it wasn't for me to depend on Google Translator I would join you. If you are looking for a free tester, I am glad to offer myself, but you should consider that my English is very basic.

And to all players, please consider that this platform is an ALPHA version.

Greetings from Argentina.

• Upvote 1

RR 6599

On 12/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, ShawnCZek said:

To be fair, you've never asked. Obviously nobody is going to spend all day, but a team of 10-15 doing it some of the time could work. Me, and I'm sure at least 10 of your 3 million users would be willing to mess around in the game and find bugs. And with recruitment or whatever, it's practically never open and any development or testing position takes lots of a process. IMO if you're a certain rank or above (like Veteran III or whatever) and go through a quick review process you could be able to test a beta for bugs. Just my opinion, but what do I know about development. (i mean that in a non-sarcastic way btw, i know hardly anything about development)

On 12/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, Sanguinem Luna said:

No-one ever said people have to dedicate whole days to testing. Just like how everyone who currently volunteers their time to any project like this, there are surely many other people who'd be happy to volunteer their time to testing if it meant that the mod would have much smoother updates. The fact you assume it still needs to be a full time job is ridiculous. The multiple different types of hardware needed for more conclusive testing would already be handled under a dedicated testing team.

EXACTLY!

5 hours ago, LordBenji said:

What I'm trying to understand is why people still expect so much quality for an ALPHA product

Lets face it, its never gonna be a Beta is it.... Urm maybe because past updates have been really good, my internet is 60mb or something & im using the 5ghz band ( pc runs both games at around 30-50fps on ultra settings on SP no problem. While my card is 2gb it does the job just fine as does the cpu 4 cores 3.1ghz / 3.4ghz! Upgrade your pc i hear people say, urm yea when im not paying for a house with the disability living allowance etc i get i will, pc cost £700 which was pushing it! 

The bug when i alt tab is still here.. if i alt tab out of the game, the cursor freezes in the middle of the screen when i am in the login screen, and in game same thing.

This started to happen after the 1.36 update, but, only in truckersmp. I have played the new dlc in single player, and everything seems normal.

EDIT: I have played a bit on truckersmp, and there are major fps drops in this update, compared to 1.35. Still in single player there is none, works great