Serious discussion abt 90km/h

XL 25T

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, szykaro23 said:

In my opinion, the speed limit that we have currently is enough. Speed above 100 is quite hard to control :P 

It really isn't hard, i would say 130 starts getting tricky.

1 minute ago, Ouskiller said:

Keep in mind that ETS is a simulation game. Now my question is, do you see trucks going above 100 in real life?

On 11/10/2019 at 3:42 PM, szykaro23 said:

Keep in mind that ETS is a simulation game. Now my question is, do you see trucks going above 100 in real life?

I agree with that lol.

If in real life truckers driving more than 100km/h they're crazy or, to put it mildly, silly. I only saw that in America people drive more than 120km/h and then the drivers were surprised that something bad happened or the truck was off the road. xD

On 11/10/2019 at 3:42 PM, szykaro23 said:

I'm not calling it a simulation game until SCS fixes their physics. And as long as SCS gives us the opportunity to go faster than 90, I'll gladly take that opportunity and there's nothing you can do about it. I simply enjoy driving trucks at a high speed and i know i should do that with caution, such as braking at sharp corners, cities and oncoming traffic. I wouldn't do this in real life because that is indeed absurd. That's why I'd rather do it virtually because there's nothing to worry about other than people being sassy about it, even though i am doing nothing wrong currently.

If the whole game gets forced back to 90 km/h, i would respect it. But for now, I'm gladly going above that limit with ease, because for me it isn't hard to control a truck driving quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree that 120 kmph is perfect for the speed limit. The only people who can't stay in control of their trucks at that speed, on a highway - at least, are people who are extremely bad at driving. And if they're extremely bad at driving they should probably get a time out either way before being allowed in an online server. I mean let's be serious, this game's driving model is incredibly forgiving. It's quite arcadey and simple and if you honestly can't handle 120 kmph in this game then you're probably playing the wrong game and should try a walking or cycling simulator instead or something.

You have never truly trucked unless you have trucked with a MAD COW!

From a realistic perspective, one should drive only at a speed and in a way that one can constantly control the vehicle.

To stay in control of a vehicle, the speed should be adapted to the

• road conditions,
  • traffic conditions,
  • visibility conditions and
  • weather conditions.

Additionally,

• personal (driving) abilities and
  • the vehicles characteristics and load

should be considered, regardless of server-sided or locally given speed limits (the latter are set based on ideal weather conditions).

These requirements determine how one should drive to ensure maximum safety on the road for all road traffic participants (= players).

If all vehicles travel at the same or a similar speed, the chances to cause an accident are drastically reduced.

Besides of that, I think it is a dangerous reasoning to think that it would be more safe to drive long distances at a higher speed to use less time. At higher speed the brain receives more input at a time but consequently tires correspondingly faster.

From my experience, one way to travel in a safe manner is to drive at a reasonable speed (see above) and to regular take a break.

A lack of time is not a legit reason to drive fast. Especially in light of the fact that similar jobs with different route lengths can be chosen from, such behavior must rather be regarded as reckless driving.

If one has only a limited amount of time available, I suggest to

• choose a job with a shorter distance,
  • split a long route into several parts to finish them at more convenient times or
  • drive on a server where no other road traffic participant can be harmed (e.g. arcade server).

The engine power of a vehicle therefore should not  be chosen by the maximum speed possible but rather by the specifications of the load and the chosen route.

@Joao Rodrigues
those in the 150 club I notice also used to like doing 150km/h were ever possible.  I know I have been blamed for accidents when rear ended when cruising at the speed limit and accused of blocking, yet when they pass me, they will pass me 3 or 4 times on the same road after crashing and reloading saves.  this makes me wander as when I cruise by, how long they actually take to get the job done.  4 hours from one end to another for me, probably 5 hours for someone who keeps reloading a save. 

so why oh why do they go so fast when the trucks simply can not handle those kind of speeds?

On 11/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, Ouskiller said:

I'm not calling it a simulation game until SCS fixes their physics. And as long as SCS gives us the opportunity to go faster than 90, I'll gladly take that opportunity and there's nothing you can do about it.

1) Why do you keep thinking that this is a problem which SCS caused? I do not have any issues in sp with flying trucks, broken physics, cars falling thrugh the map,...

SCS never designed their sims (yes they are sims) to be reversed enginered in a third party multiplayer application (which looks more like a Wreckfest or NFS edition of ETS2 and ATS in alot of cases) bringing tons of ppl from different regions around the world together in one map. Which offcourse will cause syncing issues, which we cearly can see when 2 trucks colide, or a car and truck colide  as they fly away in all directions.

This is an issue with tmp, not SCS. SCS is tweaking their physics for singleplayer, NOT multiplayer.

Since you think this is an issue with SCS, i suggest you file in a bug report with the physics issues you seem to have in game over on their official forum.

Again, ETS2 & ATS were never designed with a mp mode in mind.

2) you clearly state you can't be bothered on speed limits, yet you complain about the physics being broken at that point, and blaming SCS for it whilst technicly you are supposed to play by the rules (bc yeah, it's called a simulator, you know) and only in a singlelayer enviorment as the game was originaly tended to.

Bit selfish at this point innit?

On 11/29/2019 at 10:15 PM, DubbelDraaiDeur said:

1) Why do you keep thinking that this is a problem which SCS caused? I do not have any issues in sp with flying trucks, broken physics, cars falling thrugh the map,...

SCS never designed their sims (yes they are sims) to be reversed enginered in a third party multiplayer application (which looks more like a Wreckfest or NFS edition of ETS2 and ATS in alot of cases) bringing tons of ppl from different regions around the world together in one map. Which offcourse will cause syncing issues, which we cearly can see when 2 trucks colide, or a car and truck colide  as they fly away in all directions.

This is an issue with tmp, not SCS. SCS is tweaking their physics for singleplayer, NOT multiplayer.

Since you think this is an issue with SCS, i suggest you file in a bug report with the physics issues you seem to have in game over on their official forum.

Again, ETS2 & ATS were never designed with a mp mode in mind.

2) you clearly state you can't be bothered on speed limits, yet you complain about the physics being broken at that point, and blaming SCS for it whilst technicly you are supposed to play by the rules (bc yeah, it's called a simulator, you know) and only in a singlelayer enviorment as the game was originaly tended to.

Bit selfish at this point innit?

I know the crashes are a TMP issue, but SCS is also party at fault with the current cabin physics. Unless you live under a rock, you can clearly see that physics glitches appear far more often due to SCS changing them and making it worse for the community. There's plenty of videos where people get involved into an accident, some not even being at speed or in multiplayer, and yet their cabin starts completely freaking out and sending you to millions of km/h if you are unlucky. I know that SCS has made a beautiful game, which it still is, but the physics are currently broken. This is a clear fact where evidence is daylight clear. I'm pretty sure SCS is aware of this issue and i'm hoping for it to get fixed in 1.36.

I'm very much aware that speed can easily cause issues, that's why i said i am being cautious about it and haven't had many problems since i know what i'm doing. Seems like you failed to understand what i said previously. There are no rules about going the speed limit or not, so it's my problem if i get involved in high speed crashes which i am aware of. But the physics currently are making both normal and fast driving difficult because any mistake can possibly lead to total destruction.

Here's a video of me going too quick on a turn. I know it was my fault for not slowing down, and i only expected to be slowed down by the barrier, or maybe get tipped over if i'm that unlucky. However this is not the case at all, the cabin completely glitches out and sends me flying. Why? Because i scratched my paint on a barrier. I would have just adjusted my speed if this never happened. It's kind of weird how SCS has missed this glitch even after fully releasing 1.35 which has been out for almost 6 months now. I'm not even going to get started about 1.33 which was not as broken as 1.35 but also had issued with the suspension physics. You can blame me all you want about my speed, but deep down it's god damn clear that SCS has not been testing their physics thoroughly.

Well the game wasn't specifically designed for Multiplayer, hence the fact that SCS hasn't created a MP version (and I doubt they will since we already have TruckersMP), so the physics engine is more or less adapted to the kind of collisions that'd happen with AIs, instead of the high-speed ramming that occurs too often in TruckersMP. The kind of collisions where the AI respects the speed limit in the first place, and they also stop once they've crashed.

What I'm saying is that the physics engine is probably not made for high-speed crashes where neither of the participants slow down before or after it occurs.

110 seems like a really reasonable speed limit, close to the breaking point between simulation and a truck flight sim:D

7 hours ago, Ouskiller said:

I know the crashes are a TMP issue, but SCS is also party at fault with the current cabin physics. Unless you live under a rock, you can clearly see that physics glitches appear far more often due to SCS changing them and making it worse for the community. There's plenty of videos where people get involved into an accident, some not even being at speed or in multiplayer, and yet their cabin starts completely freaking out and sending you to millions of km/h if you are unlucky. I know that SCS has made a beautiful game, which it still is, but the physics are currently broken. This is a clear fact where evidence is daylight clear. I'm pretty sure SCS is aware of this issue and i'm hoping for it to get fixed in 1.36.

I'm very much aware that speed can easily cause issues, that's why i said i am being cautious about it and haven't had many problems since i know what i'm doing. Seems like you failed to understand what i said previously. There are no rules about going the speed limit or not, so it's my problem if i get involved in high speed crashes which i am aware of. But the physics currently are making both normal and fast driving difficult because any mistake can possibly lead to total destruction.

Here's a video of me going too quick on a turn. I know it was my fault for not slowing down, and i only expected to be slowed down by the barrier, or maybe get tipped over if i'm that unlucky. However this is not the case at all, the cabin completely glitches out and sends me flying. Why? Because i scratched my paint on a barrier. I would have just adjusted my speed if this never happened. It's kind of weird how SCS has missed this glitch even after fully releasing 1.35 which has been out for almost 6 months now. I'm not even going to get started about 1.33 which was not as broken as 1.35 but also had issued with the suspension physics. You can blame me all you want about my speed, but deep down it's god damn clear that SCS has not been testing their physics thoroughly.

Wow, that's never happened to me :)

Dunno what I'm doing wrong but I actually can't remember ever having flown into space with my truck... and that's since version 1.7.0, back in 2013 :D

@Ouskiller

You totaly missed the point here. SCS is tweaking their physics for SP, not MP and i'll be honnest, I have over 1500hrs, 75% of it is in singleplayer, and I can't remember having any issue with physics being broken (in singleplayer). Why? Because I know how to properly drive ingame.

Tho i'm not gonna argue physics are not an issue in multiplayer, cause they are, but that is not at SCS to fix, because they have nothing to do with MP.

And the video you showed is another example on how to NOT drive a truck. Dude, you're cornering @140?! "scratching your paint" hahaha. What do you expect? Why don't you start playing the game as you supposed to, as a sim!

You'll see, life in the land of physics is gonna be alot better if you behave! I promise!

Note, my best guess as for the reason you did not flip your truck, is cause you probably have all your suspension settings set to max stifness, and that is clearly visable since the cab, chassis and trailer are barely moving or tilting. And you probably hauling an empty trailer, because you are at 140 from 110 in notime. Hence you did not flip over. That gives me an indication you cannot be bothered at all when it comes to the simulation aspect of the game. So again, I don't understand why you complain and blame SCS for the physics when as far as I can see you cannot be bothered to drive like you supposed to.

@DubbelDraaiDeur It seems i am speaking against a wall because you are clearly trying to refuse to acknowledge that i know how speed can affect driving. The game's physics is currently broken. You also couldn't explain why my truck was flying, because the only thing i see from you is you telling me how i am supposed to drive instead of explaining. Suspension stiffness had nothing to do with my truck flying. I can easily fix this by turning cabin stiffness down, but that won't dissuade the fact that the physics are clearly broken at this point. I've never had a problem with the physics until 1.33 and 1.35 came out. You can complain about my speed all you want, but that's not even the problem here. I already know the consequences of speeding, and it seems that i have to repeat myself 3 times to clarify that i know what speeding can cause.

And no, i didn't miss your point at all. I know SCS did not make their game for multiplayer experience at all, but the physics are still broken for both single and multiplayer. If you still would like to show off how you never had problems, i'll be more than happy to make a video to show you that you dont need speed to trigger the cabin glitch of the current version with default settings.

@Ouskiller

You know that speed affects driving and you know what speeding can cause, yet you can't seem to figure out why your truck went flying? Okay...

I'll explain, bacuase you're "scratching your paint" @140km/h. Read: 140km/h.

The game physics are broken to you because you are not driving as you suposed to. Nothing more, nothing less.

As why you may encounter issues with last few versions of the game, probably because they changed alot of physics back then, and your driving style clearly can't handle those new physics.

Again, this is a sim. Play it as a sim and you won't have problems, period.

And sure, go ahead, show me some footage of you having those physics problems in sp, cause I have non, and I'm curious as to why you have so much problems. 

I ocasionaly bump into cars or objects now and then, and that happens to everybody. But as long as you are not driving like a maniac, the physics won't break your truck or the game.

It's probably a totaly different story if you drive 150, or crash head on with traffic at even lower speeds, but do not forget this is a driving simulator, not a crash similator so you are not suposed to crash anyways. The physics are in the game to simulate the driving experience, not the crash. So if you crash alot ingame and break the physics, it's time to reconsider your driving style.

So no need to blame SCS for that.

Edit: I justed watched some of your "physics ranting" vidoeos on your yt channel. You drive like a lunatic in almost all of them, completely throwing every simulation aspect through the window, but still complaining about the physics..

Anyways, Those videos are a joke, and a clear proof you can't be bothered about simulation. I just can't take you seriously after seing those.

And if you think I'm still in the wrong, send those videos in a bug report on the SCS forum.

Start by gathering videos from physics bugs in singleplayer while you play by the rules. Then I would consider taking you seriously.

With that being said, I rest my case.

Drive safe

On 11/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, SilentSquads said:

You need to take into consideration if people use a wheel or keyboard etc because this makes a massive difference to their driving but as someone said on another forum post, there is an arcade server if you don’t like the speed limit. It’s designed to enhance realism.

You can drive nearly as good with a xbox controller as with a wheel and pedals.... and you can drive nearly as good as an xbox controller with the keyboard. It really just takes some forethought, a little bit of experience, some finesse and knowing how to do your settings and keybindings. 

You have never truly trucked unless you have trucked with a MAD COW!

Spoiler
Spoiler
9 hours ago, MadCowTransport said:

You can drive nearly as good with a xbox controller as with a wheel and pedals.... and you can drive nearly as good as an xbox controller with the keyboard. It really just takes some forethought, a little bit of experience, some finesse and knowing how to do your settings and keybindings. 

Ah yes well put, thanks for advising me on that I forgot abo it controllers! ??

Speed limit does nothing, you can still ram and troll at 68mph. The 37mph limit when "inside a city" is painful. Paris for example, has a about a mile of motorway which is close to the city so you are limited to 37mph on a motorway for quite a distance... Broken solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.

The speed limit makes overtaking very difficult and makes the game feel slow, sure speeding around everywhere isn't realistic but neither is sticking at 68 on an open road, it's boring tbh. Arcade servers are ass too, no point switching to them just to go over 68 ?

On 11/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, Ouskiller said:

Drive with stability at 0% - 25%, let's see how you handle it, I think you can't ahah ?

On 12/1/2019 at 6:27 AM, Ouskiller said:

Please, learn to drive at 85km/h before releasing a video ?

34 minutes ago, JesusCharlie_ said:

Speed limit does nothing, you can still ram and troll at 68mph. The 37mph limit when "inside a city" is painful. Paris for example, has a about a mile of motorway which is close to the city so you are limited to 37mph on a motorway for quite a distance... Broken solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.

The speed limit makes overtaking very difficult and makes the game feel slow, sure speeding around everywhere isn't realistic but neither is sticking at 68 on an open road, it's boring tbh. Arcade servers are ass too, no point switching to them just to go over 68 ?

The speed limit is not meant to prevent trolling. It is a measure to decrease the number of accidents caused by driving at excessive speed. And in that regard the speed limit works quite successful.

I noticed that you and many of the players that disapprove the speed limit state that they are bored by driving at a reasonable speed. But as a matter of fact, speed limits are part of road traffic and play a major role in road safety.

Naturally, you do not have to like them. But then again I wonder why you refuse to switch to a server where you are not bothered by a speed limit (namely the arcade server).

Drive safely!

@JesusCharlie_ If you are locked at the same speed as the truck ahead, why overtake? I rarely overtake because I follow the speed limits and most people I find on the road are going faster than me, but sometimes I'll do it with players that have just spawned and started driving, or came out of a gas station/junction and are still slow enough for me to overtake. This, only on highways, where I know that there will be no one coming in front on the overtaking lane. But those same situations, if on a one lane per way road, I usually slow down, because I know that most of those people who appear ahead going slower than me are probably in full throtle trying to reach 110 Km/h ASAP (sadly, that's what the game is about for most players).

My point is that you (and everyone else) should only start an overtaking if you are completely sure that you can finish it safely. This thing about "we are locked at the same speed" happens now with 110 Km/h and happened before with 150 Km/h, don't you think? Real life, you surely break the speed limit to overtake and it's allowed, at least in Spain, but... On conventional (non-highway) roads, cars and motorcicles can drive 20 Km/h faster than the road's speed limit to overtake. Trucks aren't allowed to go over the limit in any cases. Not sure about other countries traffic regulations, but since I'm from Spain, I follow Spain's ones.

@JesusCharlie_,

firstly may I express my regret that you have been banned for an inappropriate overtaking manoeuver.

A safe overtaking process has to take a lot of factors into consideration.
First and foremost, it is the responsibility of the one who overtakes to ensure that no other road traffic participant is endangered during the whole overtaking process.
As @FernandoCR [ESP] has already pointed out correctly, another requirement is to drive at a considerably higher speed than the vehicle that is meant to be overtaken. You have failed to meet this requirement and got stuck at the same speed as the other vehicle and eventually forced your way back on the lane, causing a collision with the other vehicle.

And this is a case of reckless driving.

Archived