Serious discussion abt 90km/h

XL 25T

I am a 120kph long distance driver.  I think 120kph is the best speed for me to remain safety while enjoying driving.

update It was the speed limiter being turned on in some updates that made think the speed limit reduced again.

1. At 120kph player have more intensive feedback and interaction with the game. You have to watch the road and control the speed, while at 90kph you can safely drive through most winding roads. Also at 120, your brain receives more information at a time, which stimulate your brain to be active. It's very very easy to get sleepy at 90, because the scenery repeats, and you have nothing more than one thumb to use during driving (controller).

2. I used to drive 1800-2000 km before getting tired, but as the speed limit dropped 110, I could only do 1200-1500km and now at speed of 90,  1000km is my maximum range. There is less fun when the mileage decreases.

3. At a maximum speed limit of 120, you re able to choose to overtake people, or be overtaken. This add more participation to the game where you have to watch the mirrors, keep driving strictly in the lane, use your high beam and whistle. Further, due to speed difference, you can meet people on the road,  group up and make friends.  At 90, everyone keeps a certain distance forever.

4. A wide speed range provide different choices for trucks. The 8*4 truck accelerates slow but is much more steady at high speeds, and has a great brake force. If the speed is limited to 90, whats the point of choosing 8*4 trucks.

5. about ramming. Many players suffer from ramming including me. Now the administrators seemed to find a good way to reduce this - limiting the speed. For a better understanding, let me take an example. Do you think banning all games with blood, sex and violence is a good solution  for all?

Here I provide some ideas. First, new players should have a certain online mileage of probation period during which he should not get a ban. The probation period can be set in a separate server or in the normal servers. Second, making the online report effective. If most online reports become operative on that day, the rammers will be more cautious.

I know there must be objections, so I dont appeal to raise the speed limit to 120. I just suggest you put the Arcade server to the top and set it to 4500 people max.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your idea is interesting. To be honest I didn't even notice that the speed limit has been reduced again (I'm usually driving in Germany on a higway at about 80 km/h).

I partially agree with you, when it comes to cars, because it interferes with realism a lot. On the other hand, trucks in real life have a speed limitor set to 90 km/h, so I'm completely fine with this change, because it only makes the game more realistic.

So I only don't like the change from the point of a car driver (which I'm usually not).

About making the main server an arcade server - I think I would rarely connect there, so would many others, because driving on the C-D road would become boring to them and I would, once again, miss the realism.

To keep this short an simple, ETS2 is based in Europe, mainly, EU countries. Under EU regulations, all new trucks, above 1995 (possibly lower) are required to be fitted with a speed limiter that limits the trucks speed to a maximum engine speed of 90km/h. TMP is generous with allowing you travel 20km/h faster than this, which, in real life, would be highly illegal. This game is a simulator, not an arcade racer, as some people choose to treat it that way. The limiter is there to make the experience realistic. That's my tow cents on the topic

I must have missed something, last time I checked, speed limit on simulation server was 110 km/h for ETS2 and 80Mph (129 km/h) for ATS. And the arcade server for ETS2 has absolutely no speed limit and it's 2300 slots never fill up because, you know...collisions.

If you think you are limited to 90km/h in ETS2, then either your speed limiter in the game settings is enabled, or you are doing external jobs that are limited to 90km/h and TMP has nothing to do with that.

On a side note, 8x4 trucks are not made for speed, part of the weight of the trailer rests on the tractor and that is very important to provide increased traction for rear axles, that happens to be driven axles. These trucks are designed for the heaviest loads and that 2nd steering axle is there for better weight distribution and also to provide better cornering grip and counter understeer under heavy loads. 4x2 or 6x2 trucks with lift axle are much more practical and economical for standard purposes. Of course people choose 8x4, because they think it looks cool, but imo it just looks silly when they pull that short single axle trailer.

16 hours ago, ZakYeen said:

To keep this short an simple, ETS2 is based in Europe, mainly, EU countries. Under EU regulations, all new trucks, above 1995 (possibly lower) are required to be fitted with a speed limiter that limits the trucks speed to a maximum engine speed of 90km/h. TMP is generous with allowing you travel 20km/h faster than this, which, in real life, would be highly illegal. This game is a simulator, not an arcade racer, as some people choose to treat it that way. The limiter is there to make the experience realistic. That's my tow cents on the topic

You mentioned realism. 

1. the game cannot simulate real environment - many traffic participants, wind noise, uneven ground, different texture of the road, damage and dirt on the truck, and even co-driver. Since these conditions aren't satisfied, there is no meaning to force players drive at the law speed. If one wants to drive at 90, I respect him and wont force him to 120.

2. Not only truck fans come to this game.  I am a railway fan, our cargo trains run at 120kph. My friend is not a truck fan, he focus on the scenery of America, so he plays ATS only. Another of my friends he plays ETS2 for practicing driving. There are various of people found this game and the MP community fun. I hope this community is a inclusive one that not dominated by a part of players.

14 hours ago, Granite said:

I must have missed something, last time I checked, speed limit on simulation server was 110 km/h for ETS2 and 80Mph (129 km/h) for ATS. And the arcade server for ETS2 has absolutely no speed limit and it's 2300 slots never fill up because, you know...collisions.

If you think you are limited to 90km/h in ETS2, then either your speed limiter in the game settings is enabled, or you are doing external jobs that are limited to 90km/h and TMP has nothing to do with that.

On a side note, 8x4 trucks are not made for speed, part of the weight of the trailer rests on the tractor and that is very important to provide increased traction for rear axles, that happens to be driven axles. These trucks are designed for the heaviest loads and that 2nd steering axle is there for better weight distribution and also to provide better cornering grip and counter understeer under heavy loads. 4x2 or 6x2 trucks with lift axle are much more practical and economical for standard purposes. Of course people choose 8x4, because they think it looks cool, but imo it just looks silly when they pull that short single axle trailer.

Confirmed. The limiter automatically turned on during some updates.

I dont know exactly in real world. but in the game I found no difference in traction between 4*2 6*4 and 8*4 axle lifted.  What I found is before the tollbooth the more axles the shorter of brake distance is.

17 hours ago, AlmightyOndrej said:

Your idea is interesting. To be honest I didn't even notice that the speed limit has been reduced again (I'm usually driving in Germany on a higway at about 80 km/h).

I partially agree with you, when it comes to cars, because it interferes with realism a lot. On the other hand, trucks in real life have a speed limitor set to 90 km/h, so I'm completely fine with this change, because it only makes the game more realistic.

So I only don't like the change from the point of a car driver (which I'm usually not).

About making the main server an arcade server - I think I would rarely connect there, so would many others, because driving on the C-D road would become boring to them and I would, once again, miss the realism.

Interesting that when the main (first) server had no limit, the second was 90, more people played on the first. When the first server was limited to 150 while the second was still 90, more people played on the first server. If there were really so many realism players, why didnt they choose the second server. So I assume people always gather in the first server.

4 hours ago, 行李车 XL ₂₅ᴋ said:

Not only truck fans come to this game.  I am a railway fan, our cargo trains run at 120kph. My friend is not a truck fan, he focus on the scenery of America, so he plays ATS only. Another of my friends he plays ETS2 for practicing driving. There are various of people found this game and the MP community fun. I hope this community is a inclusive one that not dominated by a part of players.

What does Train Sim or TSW do? They're simulators, they try to simulate what it would be like to work in these areas. ETS2 does the same. It tries its best to simulate what it would be like to be an international truck driver in Europe. Also, I'm well aware that it's not just truck fans that play the game. I myself am a huge AvGeek, I love planes and I play a lot of XPlane here and there, but why should that make a difference? It's in the server for a reason. They want to keep some realism in the MP experience, whilst keeping the threat to carnage down low. In MP platforms like VATSim, if you break the speed limits in Ascent/Descent zones (eg: the general speed for under 5,000ft is an IAS of 200kts), you can be kicked and banned. It's to keep the realism of what pilots would have to do. This is similar to what TruckersMP are trying to do. Keep the realism, but also keep the fun. 

The speed limit in Simulation server is not 90Km/hr but 110Km/hr while joining the server it shows like that. You truck can go 110Km/Hr when you are not doing WOT jobs. This is more than enough to play in simulation server. If you want more speed then you can play on arcade Server where there is no speed limit at all. You can do jobs with high speed and more Kilometers. You should also understand the intention behind it. As This is a simulation game we should also feel the same way. TMP is trying to decrease accidents and trolls. Realistic players can play on simulation servers and if you wanna race you always have arcade anyways. For me there is no need for increasing in speed limit.

It's part of attitude corrective too. People who want to drive very fast are racers at the heart and no strangers to collisions. I say that because its very difficult to stop at stop sign, check your mirrors on ramp to highway or keep

safety distance between others while going fast. So since some racers don't enjoy as much driving only 110km/h they don't play here. And I'm fine for less people speeding all over the highways and  neglecting rules.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:55 PM, User_1567766 said:

You mentioned realism. 

1. the game cannot simulate real environment - many traffic participants, wind noise, uneven ground, different texture of the road, damage and dirt on the truck, and even co-driver. Since these conditions aren't satisfied, there is no meaning to force players drive at the law speed. If one wants to drive at 90, I respect him and wont force him to 120.

2. Not only truck fans come to this game.  I am a railway fan, our cargo trains run at 120kph. My friend is not a truck fan, he focus on the scenery of America, so he plays ATS only. Another of my friends he plays ETS2 for practicing driving. There are various of people found this game and the MP community fun. I hope this community is a inclusive one that not dominated by a part of players.

So you wanna invent and build a better Trucking Simulator then ETS 2 or ATS? Lets do it! No one stops you from doing better ... for now ETS 2 and ATS are the best and most realistic Truck driving Simulators on the market!

For the Rest ... Like the person some posts above said "normally" trucks have build in Limiters ... that they can get cracked is possible ... but that costs money and risks ... which are not in the game ... also no real truck driver would go above 100-110 km/h because it would be just too dangerous ... I mean most truck driver are already driving dangerous but the possibility to crash on 90 km/h is already high and I would say at 110 km/h the chance doubles ...

So if you like the danger and like to drive as you want ... you are free to use the arcade servers ... if you want to play a SIMULATION in a SIMULATION game then play on the SIMULATION server!

Why do you think the Arcade Server is empty? Because no real Simulation player wants to play on a Server with a crash risk of over 80% with only speeders and trolls ... so they stick to their realism Servers ... maybe some people dont like the 110 km/h limiter but I bet most of the realism lovers can get along with it ... while the speeders and trolls get on the Simulation servers because they know they are under numbered and even they dont want to only play with others of their alike!

On 10/14/2019 at 12:25 AM, User_1567766 said:

Interesting that when the main (first) server had no limit, the second was 90, more people played on the first. When the first server was limited to 150 while the second was still 90, more people played on the first server. If there were really so many realism players, why didnt they choose the second server. So I assume people always gather in the first server.

Many people, including me, prefer to gather where it is more lively. There are now two simulation servers with 4500 slots, but SIM1 was first, so it is naturally the first choice for most players, even if they don't fully identify with the new setting.

Before the Road to Simulation changes, I would go to EU#2 for the same reason, even though I would only drive 90km/h max. EU#1 was not limited to 90km/h, but 110/km/h since I can remember. 

If there was enforced 90km/h limit on any server, it was very long time ago, possibly before I joined (august 2015), but memory is not my merit, so feel free to corect me. 

Also  what many people forget about is that ... ok we dont have traffic because its too heavy for the servers to handle ... BUT should'nt we still play like there would be traffic? ... I see so many trucks driving on the left lane just because they are speeding ... not even slowing down at turns because they know nobody will come anyway ... but isnt SIMULATION also about following rules even if there is no traffic??

On 10/13/2019 at 6:11 AM, XL 25T said:

2. I used to drive 1800-2000 km before getting tired, but as the speed limit dropped 110, I could only do 1200-1500km and now at speed of 90,  1000km is my maximum range. There is less fun when the mileage decreases.

You can still play on Arcade servers ^^

Although I do partially agree that 90kmh feels a bit slow considering the size of the map, this feature has beem brought in to make the game more realistic, and just a side note, the speed limit is 110kmh, double check you have got your truck speed limiter unticked in the settings, alternatively don't use WoT contracts. 

Also, putting the arcade server at the top wont make a single difference, people dont go on the game and pick the top server no matter what it is, they go onto  whichever server they like, at the moment, I see Simulation 1 been as the main server for general driving and population, Simulation 2 as the quieter yet realistic server that hosts majority of the communities events that aren't on their own server, US Simulation is self explanatory and the arcade server is for those who like higher speeds and less rules to abide by. 

I always stick to the speed limits unless it's a straight, leveled road. I don't feel too comfortable when people overtake me or drive right next to me while I drive faster than 80-90 km/h. 

As a sim style *ish* Driver,  I generally run within the limit, though on a quiet motorway I will knock it up to around 90km/h if there is no one around me or very few players.

On single lane roads I will be around 60km/h (which had the effect of annoying people on the calais Duisburg road when I kept to the limit)

On the slippy stuff I slow it right down. The 110km/h speed limit was brought in to reduce accidents caused by the 150 club who felt that 150km/h on a single lane roads was acceptable, even though the signs may say 60 or 80.  110km/h limit doesn't mean you have to do 110 everywhere, running at 90 but winding it up to 110 to pass then back down to 90 is the way to do it

7 hours ago, Explore Transport said:

As a sim style *ish* Driver,  I generally run within the limit, though on a quiet motorway I will knock it up to around 90km/h if there is no one around me or very few players.

On single lane roads I will be around 60km/h (which had the effect of annoying people on the calais Duisburg road when I kept to the limit)

On the slippy stuff I slow it right down. The 110km/h speed limit was brought in to reduce accidents caused by the 150 club who felt that 150km/h on a single lane roads was acceptable, even though the signs may say 60 or 80.  110km/h limit doesn't mean you have to do 110 everywhere, running at 90 but winding it up to 110 to pass then back down to 90 is the way to do it

I drive very similar. The amount of traffic highly depends on our own speed.

I tend to do long distance jobs at 50mph with the exception of hitting the odd hill here and there.I find that 50mph is the perfect speed to enjoy the scenery. Furthermore, at this speed I'm able to adjust to situations that can develop quite quickly such as truckers pulling out infront of you. The faster you're going the more likely you are to have an accident. Weather you cause it, or someone else has. Personally I think if youy want to do over this speed limit, arcade servers exist for your leisure.

This game is called "Simulator" so it is absolutely normal that there are people like me, that want to drive realistic. And it just isn't fun when people are flying by at 120 kph. I am pretty sure that higher speeds tend to cause more accidents than lower speeds.

If you want to drive faster you can play on the arcade servers. If you don't want realism and speed limits, you don't need collision either. Why should the player number of the arcade server be raised, if there aren't that much players playing on it? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I've never seen these servers being full.

And the argument with the 8*4 truck made me laugh a bit. Actually the 8*4 is not made to drive fast, it is there to pull heavy weights, which isn't done at high speeds.

TruckersMP decided to set the speed limits to 110 kph not because of the many accidents, but to support the majority of players which enjoy driving realistic. If you want to now exactly why the speed limits have been adjusted, I suggest you to read the "Road to simulation" topics which can be found somewhere in the forum too.

Archived