Why are less players on the ATS servers?

Dittli

Hello together,

My simple question is: Why are there not alot players on the ATS Servers?

Compared to the ETS2 Servers the are nearly full every evening. I was just wondering why ETS 2 is more popular then ATS. 

I think both games are great and I like the American setting, maybe its because of the setting?

Thank you for your replies.

Greetings NorfolkW

Because in ATS is small map and ETS2 is biger map and mach more.
And first time when come out ets2 all people start playing if its correct mby wrong but ye.
And ETS2 is popular game!
This is my answer.

hey,

I think indeed that one reason why,

I also think that its because scs software puts more time in ets2,

bring out more dlc s and updates then ats,

Also in ets you can chose between 7 different brands of trucks and al the newest and some older models are in it,

In ats you only have 3 or 4 brands of the so many that still exist

Hope this could help you some,

regards

Hi, I think that it's because more people buy ETS2 as it's bigger and is well known. If SCS developed more for ATS then I think people would play ATS more often than ETS2 :P 

Just looking at steam stats, you can see that player base of ATS is very small compared to ETS2 - that's the obvious reason for less players in ATSMP servers.

And the reason for that?

Later release date and delayed development caused by bad decisions early on resulting in less content than there could be.

ATS is less known title than ETS2, especially among it's target player base (in the US), and even if every ETS2 player is aware of it's existence, the style of american trucks and overall setting just don't appeal to most players form european countries.

I like both games, but since I am from Europe, I still prefer ETS2 while waiting for new content, simply just because the ATS servers are so empty.

I think I still have one copy of ATS (just base game, no DLCs) if anyone is interested.

My ETS2 overall time is 323 hours total played. My ATS total played time is 2 hours. I just prefer Europe and European trucks, so unfortunately ATS is never really going to get played in the future and will sit in my Steam library gathering metaphorical dust.

I think there are cultural differences between Europeans and Americans with regard to how they perceive truckers.  I watched a documentary about European trucking and it showed an almost rockstar-like adoration of truck drivers and their trucks.  I'm not sure if that's accurate, but it would explain the significant popularity disparity between ETS2 and ATS.  In the US, truckers are looked at almost as second-class citizens, dumb hicks who aren't smart enough to do anything but hold a steering wheel.  That's not the least bit true, but it's the stereotype here among a significant portion of the population.  

There are a few factors that contributed to this, and it's not difficult to spot these factors. ETS2 is much older than ATS, which means it has its own player base by the time ATS came out, it also provides more content than ATS will ever have. You also have to consider the popularity of ETS2, unlike ATS, which has a small and mostly North American audience. ETS2 has more YouTubers than ATS, and that has attracted too many people to ETS2.

Why would you join a server that has 150 players, when there's a server that has 4000+ players? When you have C-D road? When you come across 10 players every other second? When most of your friends play ETS2? There's no reason for people to play ATS, except those who are enthusiastic about American trucks or players who genuinely enjoy the American map because it feels like home to them, which is a small number. Or... homesick players, like me.

7 hours ago, xenophobia said:

it also provides more content than ATS will ever have.

You are right about the fact that ETS2 has more content that ATS atm. But that is not always gonna be true. ETS2 is running out of content. We have the new DLC coming out with a few countries like croatia and all that. But after that they are running out of map DLC. They of cause have Spain/Portugal left and they could do Ireland but then we are about out of map DLC to make for Europe. And other content? I dont know. Where as ATS still has like 30 states to make, and they have a good deal of truck brands left too. At some point ATS will have much more content and a bigger map than ETS2, but we are not there yet. So until we are at that point, ETS2 will just be the more popular game. And with new people coming to join MP they will look at the server list and go: So 200 people on ATS and 4000 on ETS2, and then they will choose ETS2. But when ATS surpasses ETS2 in content i am sure thats gonna change.

I personally think its map size and nothing more.  Sure ETS2 was released before ATS but playing one style of trucking gets very ' samey ' after a year or two and so ATS coming along certainly would of added a fresh look on things.  Players most likely went back to ETS2 because of map size in ATS.  Its still the case now even though ATS has released a few states to drive in.  Why ?........... because to get from New Mexico to Washington you pretty much go through the same roads over and over.  SCS do a great job in creating the maps they bring out, but even then there is huge gaps between roads where there could be additional side roads, small towns added;  This is not a complaint at all, just an observation.

Its absolutely map size and nothing more and until the general map grows another 4/5 states the online numbers will still be small i would imagine.

I personally prefer to play ETS 2 as there is more content, countries, roads, drop offs etc but there is no question that ATS is the more stunning game to cruise around in;  Just a shame the map hasn't quite reached the size of ETS 2 yet.  Promods Canada will be interesting for sure and then add in a few more states, ATS could be the game to play exclusively in 2 years.

4 hours ago, MrSirViking said:

You are right about the fact that ETS2 has more content that ATS atm. But that is not always gonna be true. ETS2 is running out of content. We have the new DLC coming out with a few countries like croatia and all that. But after that they are running out of map DLC. They of cause have Spain/Portugal left and they could do Ireland but then we are about out of map DLC to make for Europe. And other content? I dont know. Where as ATS still has like 30 states to make, and they have a good deal of truck brands left too. At some point ATS will have much more content and a bigger map than ETS2, but we are not there yet. So until we are at that point, ETS2 will just be the more popular game. And with new people coming to join MP they will look at the server list and go: So 200 people on ATS and 4000 on ETS2, and then they will choose ETS2. But when ATS surpasses ETS2 in content i am sure thats gonna change.

Totally understandable. ATS is improving and the content only gets better, it has an unimaginable amount of potentiality. While I recognize the potential content of ATS, it isn’t much of a game as of yet, in comparison to a beached whale like ETS2. 

ETS2 can still offer more content though, the DLCs based in Eastern Europe aren’t many and small in size, they could also expand Scandinavia north bound. Russia, Ukraine and Belarus could also make one hell of a DLC bundle. 

On 10/13/2019 at 12:33 PM, MrSirViking said:

ETS2 is running out of content. We have the new DLC coming out with a few countries like croatia and all that. But after that they are running out of map DLC. They of cause have Spain/Portugal left and they could do Ireland but then we are about out of map DLC to make for Europe. And other content?

Croatia will not be part of the upcoming DLC, just Romania, Bulgaria and tiny part of Turkey, so there will be a gap between Italy and the new countries, that is large enough for two more DLCs, with all the controversy associated with that area, I am very curious how SCS will handle it. Like you and others have said, much more is  still missing, I can easily see 10 or more expansions coming to ETS2, not to mention complete rebuild of the base map and oldest DLCs - Going East and Scandinavia, for example, Denmark is a complete disgrace imo. Just look at this map and compare it with the game, how much of it is covered, maybe 1/3? 

On 10/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, blue4eva77 said:

Its absolutely map size and nothing more and until the general map grows another 4/5 states the online numbers will still be small i would imagine

With 5 more states (including Utah)  the map will be matching the size of ETS2 map with all it's expansions (see above), but I agree, it will not change much.

3 hours ago, Granite said:

Croatia will not be part of the upcoming DLC, just Romania, Bulgaria and tiny part of Turkey, so there will be a gap between Italy and the new countries, that is large enough for two more DLCs, with all the controversy associated with that area, I am very curious how SCS will handle it. Like you and others have said, much more is  still missing, I can easily see 10 or more expansions coming to ETS2, not to mention complete rebuild of the base map and oldest DLCs - Going East and Scandinavia, for example, Denmark is a complete disgrace imo. Just look at this map and compare it with the game, how much of it is covered, maybe 1/3? 

Well yes they do have a bit more do to. But not a whole lot. And yes there is not a whole lot of Denmark in there. But i live in Denmark and it is not very big. And with the scaling SCS has for the map its hard to do much more with Denmark, without it being very cramped. But we probably wont get much more of Russia. Since the part of Russia that is already in there is the part that is sort of considered part of Europe. I would think the same will be the case for Turkey when that comes in the next dlc. There is of cause Croatia and Greece and all that but some of that has some very crazy history with wars. That can still be felt in those areas. So SCS might not run out of DLC now but they will long before ATS does :)

@MrSirViking Border between Europe and Asia can be arbitrary from various points of view, but most commonly the geographic borders are considerd Ural and Caucasus mountains, Ural river,  Black and Caspian seas, and the straits of Bosphorus and Dardanelles, and does not follow political borders between counries. Because of that, these countries are partially located in both Europe and Asia - Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey. European part of Russia is possibly larger area than current ETS2 map with all it's expansions, european part of Turkey will be fully covered by Road to the Black Sea expansion.

And surely Denmark can be improved without making it cramped, I mean, there is this motorway going from Germany all the way north and there is nothing along the way, except for one city in the south and one in the north, tumbleweeds in between. Just look what promods does with Denmark.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, barre gaanders said:

hey,

I think indeed that one reason why,

I also think that its because scs software puts more time in ets2,

bring out more dlc s and updates then ats,

Also in ets you can chose between 7 different brands of trucks and al the newest and some older models are in it,

In ats you only have 3 or 4 brands of the so many that still exist

Hope this could help you some,

regards

ATS dlc production/updates has been improving though and even faster than ETS2 now. We're getting a 2nd map dlc this year for ATS but for ETS2 it takes a year to make a map dlc. I understand that ETS2 map dlc are bigger and harder to make and that's probably the reason. For the updates we're getting good content like city reworks (1.35 and 1.36) which are definitely needed to improve the bad cities that ATS has. 

16 hours ago, johnmp91 said:

I think it have to do with the trucks. Its very different from those in Europe. They are to big and makes them very difficult in closed turns. And yes ATS came 4 years after the ETS2 so thats another reason. 

Well yes and no. Yes they are very different then in Europe. They are not big and are not difficult to turn. I drive one in real life and actually its pretty easy to drive minus the stupid car drivers around making it hard to go anywhere. the only difference from the Europe and American trucks is american trucks you need to turn wider. Witch is not hard at all.

• 2 weeks later...

ets2 has more of a client base for the simple fact that atleast 75% of the ppl that play it are from over sees and want to play in their area and as for us yes we have alot that play ats but alot of us get tired of the same area all the time get tired of the same states but that will soon change and more will start to get on ats the more and faster the maps for ats drop we will soon have the client base for ats but im afraid to say it will prolly never be the same as ets2 but hope one day it will be 

Schibi Logistics.png

Perhaps due to the slow release by SCS of new states on ATS? The U.S. as many of us know, is quite a large country, the ETS map is only a fraction in size. In addition, ETS has players who mainly reside in Europe and Asia, who prefer to play on a game with a similar environment that they are aware with. Likewise most North Americans would mainly prefer ATS due to the wide open roads and cities.

Now I could be wrong, but that's my take on the situation.

i love both games but i enjoy ats more. its a real pity that scs diddnt put more into ats to start with over the past months they have just started to put more into it which is great to see

Archived