TGR M Ronald

Do you like Euro Truck Simulator 2 graphics now?

Euro truck Simulator 2  were released in 2012 and have already been released for seven years. 

Scs software has been doing a lot of work with constant updates, but graphics have also begun to change more and more realistically But some users say they do not like the graphics now, and some say it is good But I think it's good because it's realistic.

And do you like the graphics now?

• Like 1

Interresting question.

In my opinion, the truck models look great, but the buildings and the scenery do get quite boring very quickly. Especially seeing the rail on the side which isnt round but has a lot of poligons (meaning you can see corners in a curved piece). Your PC is easily able to run this version, why not increase the quality???

But yes the realism is here. The looks get at max, a 3 out of 10 from me. Just becasue it is a PC game in 2019 (soon already 2020, god the time flies past)

Greetings 

• Like 1

While ETS2 has changed a lot already (see above), I would like some more realistic changes. 

There are plenty of mods to make the game more realistic, however I personally prefer a vanilla game, and therefore I hope DX11 will change the graphics a bit.

Scenery gets boring to be honest, in the base game map there are many flat surfaces with grass and no real detail like you have in Italia or France.

• Like 2
  • True Story 1

Graphics in Euro Truck simulator 2 is not bad, considering how old the engine already is, but I'm missing a few little things that would be easy for the SCS to fix.

Let's begin with a comparison with the ATS. If you've ever drove in ATS at night, you might have noticed that you can actually see all the signs from distance.

It's because they are made from reflective material, like in real life. Problem is, that in ETS2 most of them (except Baltic DLC maps) are not.

Some direction signs, especially in Germany, have at least letters reflective, but what about all those STOPs, speed limits and so on, that you need to see from distance?

Well, these signs are as old as the game itself, and as you can see in the Toast's video above, the game's graphics significantly improved over time, but signs didn't.

So, for now, we can just hope SCS will remake them.

Second thing that needs improvement are light masks (they control the shape of your light's beam). At this moment all trucks in both games use the same light mask.

So it basically doesn't matter at all whether you use old Renault with poor halogen lights, or a brand new Volvo with xenon (or Scania with LEDs).

The only thing that changes is the color of the lights.

Surprisingly for some of you, this problem is incredibly easy to fix, I actually made my personal mod with different lightmasks for different trucks.

Problem is that mods can't be used in multiplayer (which I generally don't mind at all).

That brings us to last but not least flaw - high beams... which I don't use at all.

High beams are meant to let you see more, but have you ever seen a vehicle with high beams so strong, that they light the surroundings up brighter than the sun?

I did, but only in this simulator game.

Even if I try to compare all the new expensive cars with Matrix LED, or even Laser beams, a stock Ets2 truck without any additional lights beats them all.

Does that seem realistic to you?

As you can see, all issues I mentioned here are related to lightning. After all I wrote you might feel that I don't like Ets2 or Ats, but I do, a lot. Lightning is, from my point of view, generally the hardest thing to get right.

Many newer and much more expensive games have even more serious flaws, so both Ats and Ets2, even though they need some updates, have lightning tuned quite well.

And there's always something to fix after all, right?

I like the updated graphics (Compared to release) :) It looks way more natural, and as you say, its more 'Realistic' :) 

And yes, graphics can always be improved (But atleast we're on DirectX11 now. The game was released on DirectX9. I can't remember when DX11 was released) But so far, I'm good.

The new map expansion DLC's, are also more detailed (The environment is more  beautiful/detailed) compared to when ETS2 was first launched :) And as they redo parts of the old map, well, that helps alot too :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, General18 said:

I like the updated graphics (Compared to release) :) It looks way more natural, and as you say, its more 'Realistic' :) 

And yes, graphics can always be improved (But atleast we're on DirectX11 now. The game was released on DirectX9. I can't remember when DX11 was released) But so far, I'm good.

The new map expansion DLC's, are also more detailed (The environment is more  beautiful/detailed) compared to when ETS2 was first launched :) And as they redo parts of the old map, well, that helps alot too :) 

DX 11 hasnt been released yet, just an experimental version, and that was with 1.35, just one or two months ago.

I think that the look of the map is way more important then the graphics and I agree with you that it is very valuable that SCS is redoing old parts of the map and that it really helps the game. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Millennium1001 said:

DX 11 hasnt been released yet, just an experimental version, and that was with 1.35, just one or two months ago.

I think that the look of the map is way more important then the graphics and I agree with you that it is very valuable that SCS is redoing old parts of the map and that it really helps the game. 

oh.. But then: I can Recommend DirectX11 :) It boosted my fps alot. When I tested it, there were 30 people around me. On DirectX9 I was running at about 50 FPS. With DirectX11, it jumped to about 90 FPS :) 

• Like 1

The graphics are good, although they pale in comparison to the likes of Forza Horizon 4; however, FH4 is much newer, and also caters for a different crowd and has different expectations placed on it. Overall, I think ETS2 has pretty good graphics but some changes are needed. I'd like to see better truck cab lighting, better shadows, and more improvements to the map design (which they're doing now anyway).

However, one thing I really wish was better was LOD. For those who don't know, LOD means 'Level of Detail', and is what's used to create distant scenery in games. Years and years ago, games weren't capable of supporting LOD and as such, used things like fog to hide the draw in of map assets; this is why you saw games with ridiculously close fog. Modern games like Fallout 4 for example, use LOD in order to allow players to see well into the distance. It does so by rendering very low poly, low resolution texture assets when the object is distant, and then when the player gets closer, the LOD version is de-rendered and the high poly, high res texture asset is rendered in its place.

This is something I wish ETS2 had done better. ETS2 doesn't make use of LOD, which is disappointing in a way because the map would look so much better with cities and landscapes visibly in the distance...but, the game does a good job of hiding its lack of LOD use. Unfortunately, there are places where the lack of LOD is pretty jarring; one example I can think of is when you're crossing the Oresund Bridge from Sweden into Denmark. As you cross the bridge, you can quite easily see Copenhagen being gradually rendered from thin air, which isn't great because it looks stupid.

The only modern games I've played that don't make use of LOD as far as I know are ETS2, ATS and the Left 4 Dead series. L4D series get away with it because of how tightly packed the maps are.

• Like 1

Well, this is enough for me. The game is already realistic for me and if they increase the graphics, my computer will be pushed so i don't want that. Its okay for me :)

• Like 1

The graphics are pretty good. When we look at the previous and current chart settings, we see a change. I think they did a good job. (My settings: Highest)

• Like 1