45MPH City limit

45 MPH City Limit On Highway  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the 45MPH Speed Limit is an absolute joke???

• Yes
    • No
    • I can't drive a truck to save my life anyways so it doesn't matter.....

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/19 at 08:34 AM

I had a 119,000 trailer on, speed limit dropped me to 45, ON A HILL, had to gear down so much i almost stalled.... ffs I wonder who's BRIGHT idea it was to do that....

55MPH was bad enough....

I think that's good. After all, it's a simulation game, not a drag racing game.

If you want to experience speed, then you can play racing games. Such a rule can make you enjoy the game better.

And increase the playability of the game, can cultivate interest, and can significantly reduce violations, these are my personal ideas.

Good luck

The problem isn't the speed limits in the city,  its fine and safer, the problem is the zones where there's a speed limit, some are in middle of highways, its insane that we end up slowing down on a highway just because the city is on the side of it, same for some tricky roads with hills and such, ETS2 has some spots like that near Marseille in France, we're stuck at 60kmh on the highway all the way to a tunnel.

76561198104067447.png

I think we should keep it the way it is, it's a city after all, there's no need to be speeding through avenues, you can do that on the highway.

I totally agree with @McDodge34 [FR QC], some areas of highways are ridiculously speed-limited just because there's a city nearby, sometimes even further than 200 meters. I hope TMP looks into that.

will have to agree on highways getting limited to 55mph near or in cities. hmmm...posted limit is 75, but wait let's limit it down to 55mph just for a minute so when a person leaves the limited area they now get a nice long hill climb that will drag them down to 35-45 mph instead of maybe being at 50-60 like they would be if they did not get limited down before they got to it. if tmp and people want slower limits fine by me, but seriously why is there not an ATS arcade server? like with ets2 they have 2 sim servers and 2 arcade. so why not a ATS arcade server? then these people wanting to go faster can and those who want to full sim can do that as well.  

sidenote, where is the announcement for the new server changes for ATS?

:thinking:imo makes sense to just take one of the ets2 aracade servers and just convert it to be an ATS acrade server. let;'s face it ets2 arcade 1 has plenty of room, server 2 rarely gets traffic and seems like a good candidate. so why not maybe do something like that?

YA know, I get it, there are a LOT of idiots who play this game online... Those idiots will speed..... Those idiots should be playing on the Arcade only server....

But

For the people, like myself, who anjoy ACTUAL SIM playing..... Regulating the HIGHWAY speed limit is stupid... PERIOD.... 

Let me explain it, as I use to drive truck IRL..... I stop at ALL redlights in game. Try to stop at stop signs, hell I even follow yard traffic rules AND tug test my trailer before I hit the connect button....

The HIGHWAY is there to connect major cities, fast..... If I wanted to have a slower trip, I would travel through ALL the cities on the way to my destination.

Limiting the speed on a roadway, that is designed, to BYPASS cities FAST...... Is stupid,..... I can't say it enough.....

Seriously anyone who dis-agrees with this has NEVER driven a vehicle before as far as I'm concerned....

It was 55MPH before, that was too slow even, but, acceptable, even though I will NEVER agree with limiting speed on the highway....

Limiting the CITY speeds??? Hell Yeah!!! If it says 35mph, limit that , if it says 45mph or 40mph, LIMIT THAT, BUT LEAVE THE BLOODY HIGHWAY ALONE!!! lol

I'm just one guy bitching so I know this will fall upon deaf ears...... But w/e, I spoke my piece...... Soap box is up fer grabs......

I agree with Szabotage for the most part.  I stop at red lights and stop signs, and obey speed limits fairly closely.  If the goal is simulation, then ANY artificial speed limiter is wrong.  When you're driving IRL, you can go as fast as you want.  Your vehicle doesn't automatically slow down when you get within a city limit.  However, there are consequences to your actions.  You will be punished if you're caught speeding.  That's how it should be in TMP if the true goal is simulation.  If you're caught speeding excessively (more than 5-10MPH over the limit), then you should be kicked from the server.  I believe that would be enough of a deterrent to keep most people from speeding when they know there could be an admin watching.  If you're kicked more than a certain number of times in a certain time period, you should be banned for a short time.  I disagree with the 80MPH overall limit, but it would very rarely affect me.  However, the artificial 45MPH limit on the interstates within cities is just unreasonable and is pushing me to play single player more than I ever have.  The only time I get on TMP anymore is when some friends want to go trucking together, and even then one or two trips crawling through cities on the interstate has us moving on to another game.  

I say all that giving the TMP staff the benefit of the doubt that their goal is actually simulation, but I believe their actions and lack of interaction with the community tell the real story- the ultimate goal is control, not simulation.

10 minutes ago, HAR_Sabre said:

If the goal is simulation, then ANY artificial speed limiter is wrong.  When you're driving IRL, you can go as fast as you want.  Your vehicle doesn't automatically slow down when you get within a city limit.  However, there are consequences to your actions.  You will be punished if you're caught speeding.  That's how it should be in TMP if the true goal is simulation.  If you're caught speeding excessively (more than 5-10MPH over the limit), then you should be kicked from the server.  I believe that would be enough of a deterrent to keep most people from speeding when they know there could be an admin watching.  If you're kicked more than a certain number of times in a certain time period, you should be banned for a short time.  I disagree with the 80MPH overall limit, but it would very rarely affect me. 

How do you want this to be enforced? 1) By a gamemoderator who kicks players that are to far above the speedlimit or 2) by an automated system which automaticly kicks you when you are 10 mph over the speedlimit? I dont think the first case would work because the GM's are already way to busy with other stuff and in the second case:

Where is exectly the diffrence between a system that kicks you if you are to fast and a system that prevents you to go to this speeds by an speedlimiter? Honestly, I think its pretty much the same

Why

12 minutes ago, Millennium1001 said:

How do you want this to be enforced? 1) By a gamemoderator who kicks players that are to far above the speedlimit or 2) by an automated system which automaticly kicks you when you are 10 mph over the speedlimit? I dont think the first case would work because the GM's are already way to busy with other stuff and in the second case:

Where is exectly the diffrence between a system that kicks you if you are to fast and a system that prevents you to go to this speeds by an speedlimiter? Honestly, I think its pretty much the same

I think my post is pretty clear that I would have it enforced by a game moderator.  I fully understand they're busy and spread pretty thin.  In real life, you get away with speeding sometimes.  I've gotten away with more than my fair share of it myself.  There aren't officers everywhere.  But for the most part I (and 99.9% of the motoring public) stick close to the limit because we know they could be anywhere.  If TMP needs to bring in more game moderators for ATS, then that's what needs to happen.  There are always people asking to be game moderators.  But telling us their goal is simulation then artificially limiting speed on a stretch of road is just disingenuous.

Just my 2 cents here,  I know going through some cities the speed limit does drop to 55 on the smaller highways and 65 on the interstates.  I've gone through cities where the speed limit on the interstate is still 70+.   I'm starting to get tired of just getting to speed in an under powered truck or one with a 10 speed and having to try and find the proper gear just to keep from stalling the engine.   Personally I say if any city speed limits are enforced make it 65.  That allows those of us whom need the extra speed to make it up a hill without slowing to 23 - 35.  As for it being a sim I don't know of any trucks irl that are self governed to 45 in a city.

I think that the problem here is that cities are modelled as blocks. Imagine a block or area that contains a city. The city speed limit is applied to the whole block. If there's a highway going through that block, it's also affected by the same speed limit. Something like this:

Spoiler
08.12.2019-04.39.26

And IIRC, there's no other way to set speed limits other than applied to pre-modelled blocks. This would explain why some highway stretches are affected by inside-cities speed limit.

I agree with having lower speed restrictions through actual cities, it makes it more realistic... like, IRL you wouldn't drive through a city at 50+mph.
However American Truck Simulator is heavily bugged with 'out of nowhere' city speed limits, you are driving down a 3, maybe even 4 lane motorway with a city to the left or right of you, possibly 200-300m away, but suddenly "You have entered into the city" message pops up and you drop to 45mph or so... like, you are on a highway/motorway that has multiple lanes and nothing on or directly besides it but somehow you are been told your in the middle of a city?!?!? :huh:
TruckersMP... Please please please fix this bug, it happens way too often in way too many places in the game.

Other than that though, I do believe all of the speed restrictions throughout the game are realistic.

Also, reading some of the above comments, I do agree that ATS needs an Arcade server, I personally wouldn't drive on it, however common sense does say the game needs one. ETS2 has two arcade servers, and even at peak time neither of them are even half full, so logic says that they should exchange one of the ETS2 arcade servers and make it an ATS arcade server (if this is possible).

Not sure how many have noticed, but prior to Road to Simulation #2, the two ATS servers had different speed limiters inside cities, while the US server had 55Mph limit, EU server had only 45Mph,  It must have been and an oversight.

I agree with above posts, the problem with city speed limit zones overlapping highways is really annoying, think about instances where highway cuts straight through the city, like in Reno or Winnemucca, or the zone pops out so far from the actual city, that is don't make sense, like for example, near El Centro.

I would also like to point out, there are still NCZ missing for many companies, how come there is even one, that has been around since game release.  

19 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

I think that the problem here is that cities are modelled as blocks. Imagine a block or area that contains a city. The city speed limit is applied to the whole block. If there's a highway going through that block, it's also affected by the same speed limit. Something like this:

Reveal hidden contents

08.12.2019-04.39.26

And IIRC, there's no other way to set speed limits other than applied to pre-modelled blocks. This would explain why some highway stretches are affected by inside-cities speed limit.

ok seems easy enough to fix. just resize the blocks smaller and butt them up to the highway borders then the bad spots (non city limited) would only be a very small spot under/over the city streets below if there are any.  

but talking and thinking of ways is easy, doing it and implementing is another story.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

@8up Local Exactly. I'm not even sure if that's how it works, it's something I remember reading a long time ago. Resizing the area could make some of the city streets to have highway limits... Or it could simply be impossible. Only DEVs know for sure.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Hide contents

08.12.2019-04.39.26

That makes 100% sense man..... Dev fix I would think, would be too exclude those sections of Highway???

I agree with the city limits should be lower but like everyone has said the highways should not be slowed to that point due to it causes accidents and bottle necks. I would say there is a way to cut out the highways but again if they are blocks then it may be impossible? Would love to have a Dev's input if its possible or not?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived