How do you feel about the speedlimiter in ATS?

[OBL] ProCal

Yay or Nay on Speedlimiter Changes for ATS  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe TMP should keep the speedlimiter to 81 MPH for ATS?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have a suggestion that is better worded in the comments.
  2. 2. Should TMP keep the speedlimiter as long as they add an arcade server for ATS?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have a suggestion that is better worded in the comments.
  3. 3. Should the speedlimiter be changed to something a bit higher or lower?

• Higher
    • Lower
    • 90 MPH
    • Leave it at 100 MPH

I mean yea the 45 city lock wasn't really needed in my opinion. 55 was good but hey It's for the better I reckon. I can see 45 going while actually traveling on the city street within the city lock. I think the Devs can only place the city locks on whatever SCS includes as the city limit boundaries meaning that the devs can't just go into the files and place the locks where ever they want them to be placed. So therefore, we have the results of the whole city limit area as a speed lock.  

647122462_NewBanner.jpg.82c9c4d67a006b4db2f6122ce7c100b1.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many are saying global speed limiter is not realistic because owner operators in real life don't have speed limiters in their trucks, while at the same time this speed limiter is set to the highest possible speed limit trucks are allowed anywhere in the US. So what is, and what is not realistic?

I think 80Mph is just right for simulation server, and if I will ever reach that, it will be on interstate in Nevada, where it is legal. With settings of my controls and physics, I often need to slow down for the bend bellow actual speed limit of the road to stay within my lane, even on interstates.

For those, who want to go as fast as they can, we need arcade style server, at least as time limited test, if the demand for such server is high enough.

As for 45Mph city limit, it's ok on city streets, but as many others complain, it's very annoying where it overlaps interstates or any nearby road with higher speed limit.

16 hours ago, Granite said:

Many are saying global speed limiter is not realistic because owner operators in real life don't have speed limiters in their trucks, while at the same time this speed limiter is set to the highest possible speed limit trucks are allowed anywhere in the US. So what is, and what is not realistic?

What is not realistic is that we're artificially limited to 80 MPH.  Not sure how else to phrase that for you.  The truck in my avatar can do well over 80 MPH.  It's real.  I very rarely did that, because I didn't want to get a ticket.  But I had the option, if I chose to accept the potential consequences, of going as fast as I dared.  That's real.  Not being allowed to get in trouble for speeding- that's not realistic.

Having said that, the 80 MPH limit isn't the one that keeps me from playing TMP.  I don't play online anymore because of the 45MPH limit.  I usually stick to within 5-10 MPH of the posted speed limit, so I wouldn't be affected by the global limiter. However that global 80 MPH limit is still inappropriate if the goal, as stated, is "simulation."

I understand what you mean , but something had to be done, you know the resons, and this is just the compromise. If we have to be so strict, there would be no speed limit in ATS,  90km/h speed limit in ETS2 and no city speed limits.

It is not simulation yet, it is road to simulation, and the end of that r.oad is still far away.

I agree, that 45Mph/60Kmh limit is problem in both games

By the way, imagine not having non-collision zones anywhere, they are not really simulation friendly.

In Nevada, the speed limiter should be at least 95 MPH. I'd be fine with an 85 MPH limiter in California, but without any AI the speed limiter should be Miles higher than 81 at many stretches. In-city Truck Limiter should be set to 65.

Bottom Line: I know truckers IRL. They are in my family and some are my older friends. They all have encountered stretches of few to no cars within the horizon (especially on Freeways) and they were realistically able to hit 85+ during those stretches with Heavier cargo. My cousin said with his truck's acceleration, he could easily hit 105 if he wanted to. Even if he would never do that, it shows how unrealistic a global truck limiter is. Raise the truck limiter back to at least 100 MPH.

In ETS2, the truck limiter should be set to 140 Km/H maximum. It could possibly be set between 120 and 130 Km/H because I understand how recklessly destructive drivers are, on the main European server, but I urge that the main truck limiter is set to 140 Km/H on ETS2 servers.

• 3 weeks later...

@ashokazylstra

in Nevada, they should set the speed limiter to 15 mph above the real interstate posted speed limits and 30 above the cailifornia interstate speed limits? why? is it because that is what you feel it should be at? TMP staff have stated it wont be changed. as for ATS the limits on the highways is fine, he only place that it isn't fine is when you are on a highway that passes through a city, that is where the limiter has its flaws.

as for ETS 68 mph isn't a big problem. you get to your delivery on time and you save a bit of fuel. if people in ETS don't like the sim servers limiter then there is a server that they can play with out limits.

@ArthurMorgan1488

if I am understanding you right more people prefer not having a speed limiter then those that prefer that the trolls and children be limited? is that about right?

if or when there is a new MP mod that comes out and if they do not have a speed limiter in the beginning all the trolls and children will go there and cause the same problems that are here now. will that mod's authors put in a limiter, maybe, maybe not. but they will have to deal with what TMP is dealing with now. 

as far as TMP slowly losing people, it is mostly people who want to play this as a racing game, or trolls who  drive like lunatics and want to speed can only do that on an arcade server where they cant ram or block people  and will only get banned for hacking and foul language. if they play on the sim servers and do those actions, they get banned.

as far as TMP regretting the fact that they went back to their original plans for their mod of being closer to simulation, I highly doubt that they will.

I personally am happily waiting for the other mod to show up and all the children and trolls leave, and to them I will wish them well and hope they get what they got here, a ban for their actions.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:07 AM, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

@ashokazylstra

in Nevada, they should set the speed limiter to 15 mph above the real interstate posted speed limits and 30 above the cailifornia interstate speed limits? why? is it because that is what you feel it should be at? TMP staff have stated it wont be changed. as for ATS the limits on the highways is fine, he only place that it isn't fine is when you are on a highway that passes through a city, that is where the limiter has its flaws.

as for ETS 68 mph isn't a big problem. you get to your delivery on time and you save a bit of fuel. if people in ETS don't like the sim servers limiter then there is a server that they can play with out limits.

@ShadowWolf2k7 I have noticed while playing MP on both games (on the most crowded servers) that the ETS2 servers absolutely deserve the 68 MPH limit, considering the higher average recklessness per driver. On top of that, ETS2 Euro MP has extremely dense traffic within a wide radius across France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, and sometimes 

Southern UK.

However, there are rarely any specific focus cities on ATS MP especially during the busiest times of the day for the servers. The only times when traffic gets remotely close to dense is when a special, server-wide convoy is ongoing.

The highest number of vehicles I have ever seen within a city on ETS2 MP was 250 or more vehicles, while on ATS MP I've only seen the number of vehicles within a city reach as high as 30-32.

I understand the speed limiter reduction on ETS2 due to its insane popularity, but I barely understand the ATS speed limiter reduction at all.

@ashokazylstra

TMP said they are taking the mod back to its roots in that being a simulation. which means since there are no AI police atm, they put in a speed limiter. the limiter being set to 80 mph, the speed limit posted on most Nevada highways. and 45 mph while in cities (which is well above most city posted speed limits). are those speed limiter settings close to their real world counter parts, in some cases yes, in most no, but it is a compromise so people can still have some fun. as far as the "focus" city in ATS, it is the main city of the newest dlc, or phoenix. 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:10 PM, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

@ArthurMorgan1488

if I am understanding you right more people prefer not having a speed limiter then those that prefer that the trolls and children be limited? is that about right?

if or when there is a new MP mod that comes out and if they do not have a speed limiter in the beginning all the trolls and children will go there and cause the same problems that are here now. will that mod's authors put in a limiter, maybe, maybe not. but they will have to deal with what TMP is dealing with now. 

as far as TMP slowly losing people, it is mostly people who want to play this as a racing game, or trolls who  drive like lunatics and want to speed can only do that on an arcade server where they cant ram or block people  and will only get banned for hacking and foul language. if they play on the sim servers and do those actions, they get banned.

as far as TMP regretting the fact that they went back to their original plans for their mod of being closer to simulation, I highly doubt that they will.

I personally am happily waiting for the other mod to show up and all the children and trolls leave, and to them I will wish them well and hope they get what they got here, a ban for their actions.

just because we want to go 100 mph when its 12 am and no one is on doesnt make us a trolls or children.get the hell off your high horse before you fall off and crack your head open.

@ArthurMorgan1488

On 9/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, ArthurMorgan1488 said:

Putting on a speed limiter is like taking a razor blade to your throat,you will slowly leak players until you die. and when you die a better multiplayer will take your place.Most likely with a higher speed limit.i await that day patiently.Happy knowing that you will regret your actions when it is too late to fix them.

if my questioning your statement is being on a high horse, your statement would make you a drama queen. TMP wont regret the fact that they are going back to their roots per say. and if a new MP mod comes out and you move to that because you don't like the way TMP is trying to deal with the trolls and children, see the former ETS EU2 server, and going back to what they made the mod for, then I will wish you well.  you also didn't answer the question I asked.

do more people prefer not having a speed limiter then those that prefer that the trolls and children be limited? if so, show proof.

as for if everyone who speeds is being a troll or child, if that is what you gathered from that one simple question. you were way off the mark. do trolls speed and act like children? yes, are people who drive a bit over the speed limit (5-10mph) children or trolls? no.

@HAR_Sabre

the real world counterpart that I was talking about are the highways and freeways. those have posted speed limits.  can you go faster then the posted speed limits, yes, will you have a problem if you exceed those speed limits and are caught speeding, that is also a yes. I gather that both you and Arthurmorgan1488 think there should be 0 speed limits, I ask why should there be 0 speed limits. I want an honest answer as to why you feel that there should be 0 speed limits, not some gibberish about "its fun to drive as fast as I can"  or "I am a safe driver no matter how fast I a drive" 

@ShadowWolf2k7

Again, you need to understand the difference between a speed limit and a speed limiter.  There is no real world counterpart to TMP's artificial speed limiter.  A speed limit is not the real world counterpart to TMP's artificial speed limiter.  A speed limit is the real world counterpart to the posted speed limits in the game.  I can't answer the question you asked me, because it's based on the false premise that I believe there should be no speed limits.  I've never advocated for a total lack of speed limits.  I've simply said that enacting a global limiter is NOT a step towards simulation, it's a definitive step away from simulation.  That's an undeniable fact.  Maybe it's necessary to curb some trolling, but it's not realistic and the vast majority of trolling in TMP that I've witnessed firsthand has had nothing to do with high speeds.

@HAR_Sabre

ok so to simulate police, since admins cant be everywhere and watch every ones speed,  a compromise, remove the global speed limiter and enact an auto kick, that will kick anyone who exceeds the state/countries max posted speed limit by more then 5 mph. they would also have to set the auto kick based on each country/states max highway speed limit, examples if you are in California and doing 61 mph you get auto kicked, or if you are in france and doing 62 mph you get auto kicked. that should be fair. you have the option to speed if you want but if you exceed the 5 mph margin you get kicked. or would that not be realistic due to there not being a police officer pulling the person over and giving them a ticket or hauling them to jail?

the exception to this would be the Tucson race track in ATS, seeing as this is a race track and is meant for racing.

if you have a better idea how to simulate the act of a consequence for speeding I am all ears.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived