Minimum speed

Jeroen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it is fine with no minimum speed.

Obviously it is common sense to not go 10kmh in a 60kmh zone.

However there are many simple reasons for slow moving vehicles, such as heavy cargo's, steep inclines, etc.

It does not matter if you are driving slower than the speed limit, it's called a limit for a reason, you can do anything up to it.

For those of you saying that if you don't go at the speed limit, then go on SP or play a different game, you guys clearly don't play this game for the simulation reason, just the trolling and high speed.

Trucks are known to go at slower speeds for many reasons, their weight, their load could be fragile, they can't break at quick as other road users, etc.

So overall, no, their should not be a minimum speed law.

If you want to play the game for the high speeds and that lot, try a game called Forza, or simply use SP.

2 hours ago, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

the definition of reckless is:

ADJECTIVE

without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.

that is the exact definition, there is no different interpretation of reckless, only in how and why it is used.

The difference between the word “reckless” and “reckless driving” which is what we are taking about, are 2 different things, one is a word from the English language, the other is a description of driving behaviour, of which anyone can interpret differently depending on country and knowledge.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:34 AM, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

the definition of reckless is:

ADJECTIVE

without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.

that is the exact definition, there is no different interpretation of reckless, only in how and why it is used.

The general definition of reckless driving is to operate a vehicle and willfully disregard the substantial and unjustifiable risk that your behavior may result in harm to another or another's property.

In contrast to that, careless driving is the careless disregard for the safety of persons and property.

The difference therefore is the mental state of the driver.

2 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

The general definition of reckless driving is to operate a vehicle and willfully disregard the substantial and unjustifiable risk that your behavior may result in harm to another or another's property.

In contrast to that, careless driving is the careless disregard for the safety of persons and property.

The difference therefore is the mental state of the driver.

without caring about the consequences of an action     kind of fits the definition don't you think?

On 7/27/2019 at 2:27 AM, megadethsteve666 said:

The difference between the word “reckless” and “reckless driving” which is what we are taking about, are 2 different things, one is a word from the English language, the other is a description of driving behaviour, of which anyone can interpret differently depending on country and knowledge.

reckless driving 

without thinking or caring about the consequences of your actions while driving a motor vehicle. reckless driving is used as a defining term in reguards to the following actions while driving a motor vehicle: 1 excessive speeding,  2. driving against the flow of traffic. (wrong way driving) 3. disreguarding posted traffic signage and traffic flow indicators which result in an accident. (stop signs and traffic lights)

so I am pretty sure that reckless and reckless driving only differ slightly, but I will let you decide, since posted the most used definitions of reckless driving above.

@ShadowWolf2k7 So answer this one then, in a VIDEO GAME, what do you consider Excessive Speed? 5MPH over? 25MPH over? 100MPH over? what about if said PLAYER is easily able to see and avoid as well as stop their vehicle in the event of an incident, do you classify them as a reckless driver? 

I would agree with you on driving the wrong way, especially if there is no reason to be in oncoming lanes, as for disregarding traffic lights, that's more subject to in game environment, i.e a junction with traffic lights, but only one entrance and exit.

The key thing is, if someone does something that is "semi legal" should they be punished? even though they made no contact with other players, no one had to take evasive action to avoid them. That's the issue with a lot of report happy people, they report someone for something that isn't strictly wrong, its just that they perceive in their own way that said action deserves punishment. catch my drift? Nothing in life is ever black or white, there are always scenarios that are in the grey area between right and wrong.   

@megadethsteve666

in most instances 5mph is 10% over the legal limit and isn't considered excessive, 25 mph is excessive ie the current limit is 68 mph for ets doing 93 mph would be considered excessive, 

I noticed you only pointed out half of #3, disreguarding posted traffic signage and traffic flow indicators  which result in an accident. (stop signs and traffic lights) you didn't notice that I placed the part that I copied from my previous post. the key part is results in an accident. that is for ETS and ATS. IRL you would be receiving a ticket and or a court summons. in TMP you will either get kicked or banned.

and as for your semi-legal 10% over the speed limit still isn't legal IRL, but perfectly fine in TMP

IRL and in TMP  I don't trust any driver other then the people I know and drive with regularly. does that mean I report everyone that I see doing something stupid, such as driving faster then I am, no. do I report people who are blatently breaking the rules or who ram me, you better believe it.

you may say you are a safe driver while you are speeding. no offense, but I don't trust you on that matter. while driving I look out for myself, and if I am driving with my friends them as well.

@ShadowWolf2k7 That’s the issue, this IS NOT real life, nor is it a 100% simulation of real life, so what if you go 25 over in a video game, as long as you are comfortable at said speeds and can still stop in time to avoid CAUSING an accident, then what is the issue? Sure IRL it’s super dangerous because of outside variables and things that you have no control over, but in a VIDEO GAME, and I can’t stress those two words more, you don’t have such variables to deal with. 

Like me I said before, if an action occurs that DOES NOT cause harm to another player, then why get upset about it? The ones who should be punished are those who cause disruption and accidents, end of. 

Again, there is no reason to try and blur the line between the virtual world and the real world, until I can be pulled over in game and given a ticket that deducts money from my account, or when I can stop my truck, get out of the cab and physically refuel and detach my trailer, then making references to the real world is invalid.

to be honest, I think 90% of people would report someone if they were breaking the rules or ramming them, that’s a given fact, me personally, I only report someone if they either hit me or my friends or are clearly trolling, I.e blocking roads with their truck and trailer, ramming people at junctions etc.

Likewise with you, I wouldn’t trust your driving as far as I could throw you, which is like 3 feet, the principle is, you have to show respect to your fellow driver, doesn’t matter if they are driving 100% like you or are speeding or overtaking you, don’t have that respect, well why play online? Like I said to someone before, I’ve never been banned for any driving offences and have driven the same way since I joined TMP in 2014 and before then I drove SP for 18 Months beforehand, so it’s laughable when someone says “ I don’t trust you” in terms of speeding, at least I know my limits of what I can do with my truck and trailer.

@megadethsteve666 The issue is that it's not just you in the server. With higher or no speed limits, lots of other players who can't drive properly at 110 Km/h will drive at 150 Km/h or faster and that makes it a lot more likely to have disruptions and accidents. "I can drive safely at high speeds" is not the same as "Everyone can drive safely at high speeds" as you surely see. And it's clear that not everyone can drive safely at high speeds, in fact, I'd say that there are more people who can't (or won't) than those who can. TBH, I don't trust anyone when they're speeding and that has saved me lots of times from being rammed. Again, it's not about you or the players who can handle speed safely, it's about the other lot that can't. BTW, in any multiplayer games, THERE ARE outside variables that you have no control over: All other players in the server, namely.

It is annoying when others drive slow in front of you but they could be lagging. I wouldn't class it as blocking as they are not stopped blocking the road. A lot of people on populated roads such as the C-D road drives slow to stop crashes but I find they're most likely to cause a crash because of overtakers, but it's not their fault.

Dylan

Steam | TruckersMPTwitter |

Discord: .Dylan#0001

15 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

@megadethsteve666 The issue is that it's not just you in the server. With higher or no speed limits, lots of other players who can't drive properly at 110 Km/h will drive at 150 Km/h or faster and that makes it a lot more likely to have disruptions and accidents. "I can drive safely at high speeds" is not the same as "Everyone can drive safely at high speeds" as you surely see. And it's clear that not everyone can drive safely at high speeds, in fact, I'd say that there are more people who can't (or won't) than those who can. TBH, I don't trust anyone when they're speeding and that has saved me lots of times from being rammed. Again, it's not about you or the players who can handle speed safely, it's about the other lot that can't. BTW, in any multiplayer games, THERE ARE outside variables that you have no control over: All other players in the server, namely.

The thing is, no matter what speed, whether it be 90MPH, 60MPH or 30MPH, you will always have someone who can’t drive at those speeds, I mean, if you drive now on sim 1, with the speed capped at68MPH, there's still people who struggle at those speeds, there’s still accidents and jams caused by bad driving, speed isn’t the one and only issue, in fact, I feel it safe to say that speed is just the lightly glazed cherry on top of the giant cake that is the causes of problems on the roads of TMP. 

Yet its funny how, over the weekend there was the Real Operations V7, there was just a soft limiter in place, yet everything ran smooth with near enough 1000 people in just a 1000 mile radius of the map, even with the traffic jams and slow moving traffic and the high speed traffic on more open roads, so it goes to show that speed isn’t really an issue, it’s more complex than that, of course, you should know that, right? 

The thing is, you have to have some kind of trust in the other persons abilities, otherwise you would have a 500+M gap between you and any other vehicle and be driving in the farthest, most dead quiet part of the map and would close the game as soon as someone got near you, obviously you do question what the other person might do but you have to trust that they know what they are doing and have a plan of action in case they don’t. 

Wt the end of the day, TMP is just another multiplayer game, with the same problems you find in any multiplayer game, most of which are just part and parcel of such an environment, the only fix is to dig deep into the matter and hone in on the fundamental issues that can be fixed.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, megadethsteve666 said:

in a VIDEO GAME, and I can’t stress those two words more, you don’t have such variables to deal with. 

your statement is only accurate in SP as this is online in a multiplayer setting @FernandoCR [ESP] clearly pointed out what you didn't realise in this VIDEO GAME  and I will stress those 2 words as well

Respect and Trust are 2 different things I can respect someone and still not trust their actions.  when I see others on the road I hope that they know how to drive, but expect them to do something that is unexpected, such as ram either myself or someone else, drive the wrong way down the road, try to take an offramp at to a high rate of speed causing their truck to roll over. 

as far as you not trusting my driving, I commend that statement. to me it means you will expect me to do something that you do not expect, be it follow the road rules and signage as posted to doing something stupid. if you expected me to be offended, im not, to be honest I appreciate that you say that, since it means you would drive cautiously when near me, or maybe not.

people that I see on a regular basis in game, who use their CB to let people know that they are passing them and which side they are passing on earn my trust and have my respect. 

I believe you are able to drive at any speed you feel like driving as it may feel safer if you drive slower, but in some instances such as the C-D going slow wouldn’t help in the situation as that would just be too chaotic. I just think speed should be judged by situations and people should think about how they are driving to cause the least amount of trouble. As driving too slow or too fast can negatively impact a situation. 

23 hours ago, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

your statement is only accurate in SP as this is online in a multiplayer setting @FernandoCR [ESP] clearly pointed out what you didn't realise in this VIDEO GAME  and I will stress those 2 words as well

Respect and Trust are 2 different things I can respect someone and still not trust their actions.  when I see others on the road I hope that they know how to drive, but expect them to do something that is unexpected, such as ram either myself or someone else, drive the wrong way down the road, try to take an offramp at to a high rate of speed causing their truck to roll over. 

as far as you not trusting my driving, I commend that statement. to me it means you will expect me to do something that you do not expect, be it follow the road rules and signage as posted to doing something stupid. if you expected me to be offended, im not, to be honest I appreciate that you say that, since it means you would drive cautiously when near me, or maybe not.

people that I see on a regular basis in game, who use their CB to let people know that they are passing them and which side they are passing on earn my trust and have my respect. 

So, if you read my full statement, what you’re saying, that in TMP you have to watch out for pedestrians, bicycles, buses, motorbikes, animals etc etc, which is what I was referencing to being said variables.

Well maybe that’s how you were brought up, different for me, but each to their own.

To be honest, if I’m not the sort of person to literally be 5 inches from the person in front of me unless traffic is 100% stopped, mostly to stop sneaky car driver undertaking and barging in, but to be honest, you could be someone 1,000,000 sub youtuber I’d treat you with the same respect I treat everyone on the roads, you have to show respect to get respect. To be honest, my biggest pet peace is someone surmising my driving abilities, skills and habits without even driving with me, for all you know, I could be the most polite person you’d meet on the road, unless you get too close for comfort.

the problem with THESE people is that they’re are the ones more likely to wreck you, especially if you don’t give them the room, especially with the limiter, it’s so easy to go for a legal overtake but be stuck in oncoming traffic because the other person won’t back off and give the space. Most of the time I have the CB set to either off or a random channel because I can’t stand the screaming and crap you hear on the CB most of the time.

1 hour ago, megadethsteve666 said:

watch out for pedestrians, bicycles, buses, motorbikes, animals

these items that you listed do not appear in the multiplayer environment. however my statement is still accurate, there are things beyond your control examples are: internet traffic, from your internet provider to others known as lag,  bugs, glitches, server hick ups, those are the minor things, the major thing beyond your control is other people.

I was raised that respect is earned by a person, not just given to them. I was also taught that you are to respect that a person is a living human being. to make it easier to understand, I respect you as a human being, but beyond that you would have to earn my respect as I yours. expecting someone to respect your for more then that is pointless. respect is earned by your actions, be it by helping someone when they need it, in this Video Game environment example letting someone know there was an accident that you passed or allowing someone to merge into traffic. that is earning respect. as with respect, trust is earned, not just given.

you say you are a safe driver while traveling at 93 mph, that maybe true, but here is a question for you. Do I have first hand knowledge of that? the answer is no, so you could have the driving skills of Mario Andretti, the abilities and the habits of a driving instructor, doesn't mean I would have reason to believe that they are more then words. you could be the politest person in the world, again I have 0 knowledge to go by..

as far as you having a problem with people on the CB, I can feel for you, I really do. I haven't had that issue. as for  "THESE" people you mention, I will guess that you are talking about the ones that I said who use the CB to, properly inform people of changing situations, who are letting people know that they are passing someone and which side of the road or passing a them in the lane next to the one the person is currently in on a multilane highway. most of "THESE" people are less likely to ram you since you know where they are and which lane they will be in. their actions ie informing what lane they are passing in earn my respect.

@ShadowWolf2k7 then it’s obvious that you do not read anyone’s full statement before quoting and answer with an answer that doesn’t correlate to what is actually said. 

Lets just agree greed to disagree, different parts of the world equal different upbringings.

likewise to you, how do I know you’re safe at 55? For all I know you could be one of those people who weave from lane to lane or play chicken with oncoming traffic while at 55MPH, just because, in your mind, the vast majority can’t handle more than 37MPH without ditching their vehicle, although highly inaccurate, there are many many people who can happily hand a vehicle at speed and still abide by all other road rules, Sam for myself, if I’m at speed and know I can’t stop in time because of trailer weight I’ll ditch my truck and trailer either into a guard rail or off-road to stop.

I don't think driving under the speed limit itself is a good idea, you kinda have to do this but sometimes for example ques of traffic or lagging users in front but when the road is clear ahead just drive the normal speed limit to prevent any back log in traffic or accidents I guess. I understand if you want to play it real and actually,  trucks have a speed limiter of 56mph I think so if you enable that you should be good boss.

team_team-veteran2.png.7addb7035d220bbdb3381dc051b65869.png.8ececf112fadf55c4a71f39a3a4eee78.png Since May 2015Discord: Shaun#4513

Community Member since May 17th, 2015. 

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND.

Cloofter/Shaun.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, [ST-E] mrhijden said:

if your talking ingame, i would say not more then 10 km/h under. to prevent traffic building and people starting to get annoyed. and highway i would say atleast 60 km/h so if it turns single lane, you don't hold up people up to much.

On a single lane road, 50 to 60km is a reasonable speed even if posted 80km, I have tried to go and pace lights so if I see one on red, slow down to around to 15 to 20km in the theory that when  I get there it is just going green,  negating the need to actually stop.

Hitting every light on green  from Italy to Finland is fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there ?

I'm moving your topic to the Archive section because your topic inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). Because every day a lot of new topics are opening up and now the community wants to discuss a new discussion, so we archive the topic that are inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). We apply these procedures to keep the forum meticulously and actively in this way.

If you have any question, don't be afraid to PM me.  

// Locked and moved to Archive.

Languages/Diller:  tr.gif (primary)gb.gif 

Useful Links/Önemli Bağlantılar: TruckersMP Rules/Kuralları | Recrutiment/İşe alım | Knowledge-base/Bilgi bankası  | Forum Warning System/Uyarı Sistemi: [TR] [ENG] 

Archived