questionable driving and attitudes

Space Night

As a driver of relatively long standing on the TMP group, starting back when it was called "European truck simulator 2 multiplayer" thereby pre-dating the addition of ATS to TMPs portfolio, I started off on keys and have done pretty well so far, driving to the the rules of TMP, however as a member of the facebook group as well, yes the official one, I have noticed a little bit of saltyness coming through towards simulation orientated players and ban-moaning towards the staff, this has come with the rise of videos showing somewhat quetionable driving with speeds often north of 130km/h, blasting past other traffic on single lane undivided roads into blind bends, particularly on the CD road, a road that I rarely use. 

With this rise of content it I think has given the wrong impression of what TMP is actually all about, yes EU2, 3 and 4 have no speed limit set by game mechanic default, you have to set it in your account settings on TMP as it over-rides the ETS2 and ATS gameplay settings.  with EU1 remaining firmly a simulation server.  I am however not against the Skoda, I have driven it and yes I have had one in my garage for a time however the player base that seems to be forming comes across as seeing the fact that they can go 150km/h as "we must go 150km./h and to hell with anyone who is going slower". This is causing a lot of friction it seems between simulation orientated players and what I call the 150km/h brigade who then when they get banned for [enter reason here] find their first reaction to mosie over to the TMP facebook and moan about their bans and how they have been unfairly banned because they have cut someone off and caused a shunt, head on collision or quite simply had their trailer whip around and wipe another truck out, or they accuse the simulation orientated players of blocking because the sim-orientated player is quite simply doing what TMP expect of them and that is by driving to the conditions of the road and the posted speed limit.  yet As this content seems to be coming more prevelent across TMP, it is giving the wrong impression, and the rise in ban - moaning i think is actually linked.

I would like to ask players who are in the simulation mind set to help bring newer players to the mind set as it seems that a lot of players who buy ETS2 then download the MP mod seem to think that trucks handle like lamborghinis and GT cars, especially when they see things like "750hp" and "4000nm of torque", after all 750hp is on a par with some high end sports cars, then with that the limiter is found to be off so the first thing they do is go flat out and try to race everyone because that is what other simulator games seem to replicate,

these games I refer to are the likes of Asetto Corsa, AC Competizione, Forza, Gran Tourismo and need 4 speed, and that I think is where it all begins to fall apart.

Trucking is about racing deadlines set by customers, but getting the load there in one piece without damage, but unlike running around the nordschleife* the open public highway has speed limits which currently do not seem to be adhered to yet when we sign up to play TMP the first thing that we have to do is agree to play by the rules, rules which were recently ammended to include obeying EU (or american in ATS) road rules.  Im also pretty sure that I am not alone in these thoughts.  In addition to this, there is it seems a lot of responsibility shifting going on, responsibility being put onto simulation orientated drivers for "going too slow" and thereby causing the accident where in fact the simulation driver is doing what TMP expect them to be doing and that is adhering to the rules of the road which means doing 60km/h where posted, or 80km/h were posted, stopping for red lights, yielding at give way signs and such, meaning when we're sat at a red light we are it seems in the wrong when we get rear-ended or accused of blocking, and when we're going up a single lane road posted at 60km/h and we're doing just that, it seems to be that to some we are in the wrong and we have been told as much because of holding traffic up, traffic that wants to overtake on a twisty road with oncoming traffic.

When i was learning to drive back in 1995, yes THAT LONG AGO! i was told that we must drive to the conditions, now on TMP this brings in another condtion to drive for, not only have you got game physics where your truck behaves, rolls slides if its wet, (and yes ETS2 does do that), we also have oncoming traffic to deal with which may be overtaking and so coming AT YOU, the contours of the road with twists, turns etc and every road is different, we also have server lag, many of you may have remembered doing the ETRC event where at drop points you got severe lag due to the number of players, however some seem to think that by doing what we are taught to do in drivers ed we are actually driving dangerously and so players are getting frustrated.  yet many times have I been passed several times in the space of half an hour by the same player who goes fast, resumably crashes and restarts from a previous save, only to pass me again in the same reckless manner, only to see similar driving content turn up on social media, and I am guessing that other players have seen the same too,

is this the case or am i loosing my mind?

I remember driving on a ETS2 highway, doing 80 Km/h. Got to one of those exits where the road turns into one lane for exiting and one lane for going straight, so I was going straight at 80 Km/h and some moron who was coming full speed (before the 150 Km/h forced speed limit was set) rear-ended my trailer. Guess what? He started calling me things, saying that I was a danger to all other players and threatening to report me for blocking. I guess that this same players got quite surprised when he was banned for reckless driving and ramming and possibly one of those who complain about their "unfair bans".

Sadly, this seems to be what 90% of TMP players thinks. Too many kids who don't know better, too many racing fans who don't get what the game is about. So, to them, it's just a game where players drive vehicles, so... It must be to race each other. Added problem, anyone can cheat their profiles to have billions, so no worries about doing jobs or getting any money, they don't care if their trucks and/or cargo receives 100% damage. They just load a previous save and solved. Or use the /fix command. IMO, these options should be removed from TMP. Server based profiles, no /fix, no chance to load a previous savegame without losing the job (just like it happens with WoT external contracts). If players needed to earn the money and XP to get the high power trucks and engines and then also to get them repaired, may be there would be a lot less of those "Idiots on the road".

I've always tried to drive not only by TMP rules, but also by the traffic rules, which means that I'll follow the speed limits and obey the signs and traffic lights and almost since the beginning of the MP mod, one of the first things I made sure of was to have always a gameplay video recording software running. In-game reports are 99.9% of the times completely useless, but video reports on the web... That's a different story. They can threaten to report me for blocking. I don't bother threatening, if they hit my truck they will be reported and over 90% of the times (according to my reports statistics), banned.

For the record: When there were only 2 ways from the continent to the UK and vice versa (Calais and the Europoort) and the Europoort became moron's paradise, I learned soon enough to avoid it and drive several hundreds extra Km to cross through Calais (which, paradoxically, was a lot safer back then). Later on, Calais became part of the new moron's paradise, along with the infamous road to Duisburg, so same thing as before, I learned to plan my routes to not go anywhere near those places. Meaning that 99% of my reports are from places other than those.

well in the new rules update, first thing it says is "signage must be adhered to" (or words to that effect), and yes I remember taking 3 hours to get from Rotterdam to Hull!  I have started to stream my TMP games and to the whole I am within 10km/h of the limit on motorways and 60 on single lane roads, especially the twisty ones. ATS i run between 55 and 65mph occasionally if i am heavy so running light fuel i will wind it down a bit and do 50 down the interstate, and on the single lane highways i go again around 40 to 50. 

my old profile has 4 billion on it and thats through hard graft (and AI hired drivers), my new TMP profile has 1.4m at the moment and 4 drivers, done with long trips rather than hammering up and down the CD road.  ATS its in 6 figures, not 7, but again thats a different story.  As for the /fix command, my guess was put in to deal with players being hit by trolls i suspect, but again its being used and abused.  (hence why it doesn't work without a trailer, to prevent bobtailing trolls ramming then /fix and raming again.  Now they ram you with trailers attached so they can use the /fix.  if it means taking away the /fix i would be cool with that.  I believe no damage hacks which were used a lot by the trolls have been rightly banned and their use is banable. 

My gripe isn't about all speed, just inappropriate speed, as it seems that most speeding seems to be on ONE ROAD, (guess which one), many of who drive on keys.  driving is tactile, keys are not very tactile so now as a community we need to come together to educate newer players and to put the SIMULATION back into Simulator.

• Business Analyst

Valid point made. This behavior tends to happen anywhere, but it is especially noticeable on the CD road. If you go as fast as the set speed limit, many will run into you, run into oncoming traffic as they evade you, or crash into the road side. Many will flame you, because you are "blocking the road" in their eyes. I am not an old ETS2 veteran, but I do respect the traffic rules and drive at acceptable speeds - accordingly to the road conditions and the amount of traffic present. At first, though, I also used to speed up to 150 km/h, just because I was able to. I learned my lesson through crashing my truck several times (either because I was not able to make the turn or because my heavy trailer flipped), but I've never disadvantaged others - it was almost always on the highways. Now, that's a learning curve and that should be acceptable. But I think the assumption is correct that a lot of new people simply don't care about crashing. It's relatively easy to get money when you have enough employee drivers, so they don't disadvantage themselves. And quite frankly, I think a significant amount of those crashers are deliberate crashers - I believe they are only playing this game to cause crashes because they enjoy doing so. It's both entertaining and annoying for players who prefer the simulation part of this game, but the question is, how does one fix such a thing.

You're definetly right, I asked someone why he was speeding and he told me "here is 150 km/h limit"..
So I tried to explain him that the road signs tell the real speed limit and he told me that I should shut up and he would report me for ...?

While in my past 2 years playing here I experienced a lot of people thinking 150 kmh is the limit, if they're driving this speed on a german autobahn with a skoda, its fine since there are no speedlimits. But its horrible to drive as Skoda 120 km/h in Netherlands or so and see a Truck passing you. I always feel like I am the truck driver and he is the car driver.

• Business Analyst
13 hours ago, Explore Transport said:

I have heard conflicting things,   and when it is said that speeding is okay so long as you are in control, 

That contradicts the point of "all signs must be obeyed" 

Can we have an official confirmation as I see it as what is stated in the rules page of the website 

I think the rules are meant to be situational employable. If you and a buddy are driving alone somewhere in the far east, you are allowed to drive through red lights, ignore traffic signs and lines, overtake everywhere, etc. In that case I think nobody will care if you ignore the traffic rules. But if you're doing it while disadvantaging someone else, eg. ramming someone off the road because you cut him off while inappropriately overtaking, that's where the traffic rules come into play (in my honest opinion). Also for busy locations, such as the CD road or Rotterdam. It helps to control the order, keep the traffic flow going, and in particular, it does actually simulate real life trucking/driving - the goal of TMP at last. Compare this to real life situations: on abandoned roads you can basically do whatever you want as long as you don't cause any issues. But on busy roads, traffic rules are to be obeyed or you will be fined. If not, it would cause chaos. Another example regarding driving through red light: nobody cares as long as you don't cause accidents, but as soon as you run a red light in a city, speeding at 80 km/h, and crash into someone who came from either the left or right (with the green light), you will probably get banned.

My two cents are basically: just drive as you'd like, as long as you don't cause issues for others. This means that you have to adapt to the present conditions of that road and situation.

I totally agree with this. I was ETS2 last night and we had griefers that would pace us the hit us and we told them to stop and even slowed and still they keep on doing it. It ended up being a horrible time and ended up cancelling the load and finally exiting the game. But back to point people need to us common sense while driving if your not wanting to join the company then move on. Cause its about having fun with friends meeting new people and truckin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There;

As your topic has been inactive for over 14 days, we are archiving your topic. Due to the fact our forums are a busy place, we archive topics that are inactive for 2 weeks to help keep just those topics that are truly active for our community.

If you have any further questions or comments, or wish for your topic to be unarchived don't be afraid to contact me.  

//Moved to Archive

Archived