An autism outreach discussion topic

Positivetrucking168

Hello everybody,

First of all, I would like to say a big thanks to the Upper Staff at TruckersMP for giving me this amazing opportunity to be able to discuss a matter that is rarely spoken about in this community, but a rather important topic to bring up as there are a lot of people in the real world that are affected by what I am about to talk about, and so I would like to bring everyone together to this topic to engage in a discussion that looks to achieve a positive result for everybody.

Now, getting to what this topic is about and the background of this post, first things first I would like to share with you a pretty big story relating to my past year within the TruckersMP team, however this is going to be a different story compared to your other TMP team stories as I am not going to use my story just to see for myself how far I have come within the team, but also to show off an extraordinary achievement that I have pulled off due to my circumstances personally.

I would like to share this story to make a difference to not just those within the TMP community in general, but also for people outside the trucking world and even outside the world of gaming, for which I am planning to use the version released to the public to raise awareness within the wider community on how can people with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) can get into the volunteering world (both in the virtual gaming communities out there and IRL) and in some cases, find a pathway towards a real-life job, as not many people realise that people with autism can set themselves a positive future and have a good start to their own personal careers as well, while also encouraging others in who are in a similar position to be able to open up about their personal experiences.  

Therefore, I would like to present to you my story on my time within the TruckersMP staff, starting from my roots in the Community Moderation Team, to my brief period as a Game Moderator, to my flourishing career in the Media team and what I would like to do to expand my growing fanbase within the wider TMP community. 

My story (which has been approved by TruckersMP Project Management for publication prior to posting) can be found here: 

The Tales of My Time in the TruckersMP Team

Purpose of this Discussion Topic

I would also like to create a discussion topic that is related to what I have posted earlier on in order to gather opinions from others who may have an idea about things that might not have been said in my story, and also to encourage everyone to take the situation around mental health issues and disabilities seriously and in a mature way and help find appropriate and sensible ways to overcome their problems that can get them to where they want to achieve in life.

In that case, what other ways can you think of that can help create a positive atmosphere for people who have Autism or other mental health issues, and that can also encourage them to take that positive step in life and go the extra mile in their careers, while allowing them to enjoy themselves to the fullest extent?

There is too much discourse towards the discussion of mental health issues and disabilities. It doesn't help that, for years now, Autism, ADHD, dyslexia and so much more has been classified as disabilities. Although it's very true that people with disabilities can struggle to get a proper foothold in their lives, stating them as nothing more than "issues" or "disabilities" has also allowed for an overal negative sentiment to thrive within communities - both online and in the real world. 

Especially something like Autism is way more complicated than just a social disorder. In fact the Autism spectrum is actually quite extensive and covers many aspects of the human brain. It isn't so much that there's something "wrong" with Autistic people, but they just think and process information differently from the "regular" person.

Threads like these are incredibly important. Not only can they be a hopeful message to those that suffer from any mental disability, they also allow for an open and honest discussion of what a lot of individuals suffer from - myself included. It is the perfect opportunity to show to other people that, hey, we're more than just a pain in the neck, which is often what it can feel like for us in schools and work.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your story. It really resonates with me. In fact, I'd actually like to talk about the final statement you've made in that document:

Who knows, by the time I hit two years in the team I could be an even stronger person than what I am now.

You will. That's the beauty of life; we all learn. Everyone can and will become a stronger individual over time, especially when they really try. In fact I'd almost say people with disabilities have the advantage there. We struggle through our daily lives and continuously run into unclimbable walls. And the only thing we can do is push through that and learn from it.

As someone who has A.S it means a lot to see this, people still give you funny looks when you say you have it! Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there & no you can't catch it ( we have it for life ) It really annoys me when i hear people say " well you don't look autistic or look like someone with asbergers ", well you don't look like a deranged raging psychopath but y'know....Here's a few celebs that are thought to have it, Mick Jagger, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Bill Gates, Guy Martin, Beethoven etc ( too many to list ) 

As someone who has pervasive developmental disorder (pdd-nos in dutch) i loved this. it's great to see what you try to do. sadly there are alot of people who think that people with any form of autism can't function in a working eviorment.

they are usually the better people in a work place. anyone who worked with people who has autism can confirm that.

also i think often it;s used as a joke by people who don't know how or what. this has to be stopped. thanks for trying to get people to see how it really is.

signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pain to cooperate with mental issues and disabilities. I honestly love when people open up about such things. Since my very young age I have schyzophrenia, bipolar disorder and amnesia. I'd try to find people with similar issues and I would talk to them to feel better. Later on I found myself in gaming, which makes me feel calm and free.
A lot of people stop living normal lives, thinking they're not like the rest. That's.. Sad. It always brightens up my day, when I see someone opening a conversation about such things. Having friends with autism and mental issues I know the struggles and I can't help myself but think ''Damn, my mental issues are nothing.''
I'm glad even the TruckersMP team understands the importance of this topic. ♥

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Positivetrucking168;

As your topic has been inactive for over 14 days, we are archiving your topic. Due to the fact our forums are a busy place, we archive topics that are inactive for 2 weeks to help keep just those topics that are truly active for our community.

If you have any further questions or comments, or wish for your topic to be unarchived please contact me. :wub:  

//Moved to Archive

Archived