High beams - how to

Pulunen
Message added by Phon,

This guide is outdated and may not contain updated, recent or correct information. Please bear this in mind if following this guide.

I usually drive with headlights on 24/7 and only use the highbeams at night when there's no one in front of my truck. I changed the bright/gamma settings, so from 21:00-22:00 it's usually pitch black and on some roads, highbeams are a must. Having lights on all of the time also helps others see my truck better, I have the weather set to 0 so it's always sunny for me, but others may be driving under a heavy rain and vissibility is a lot lower for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, but there are cases where, when stopping hard or very suddenly I will turn on my hazard lights to indicate im doing so. It usually gives a better warning, and that's why i've seen many EU cars have systems installed that will flash the brake lights when braking very hard, and usually turn on the hazard lights as well.

Of course, I also leave my normal lights on 24/7, just to avoid any laws between each country. That, and it can help you be more visible even in broad daylight, and it won't be blinding anyone.

Especially in ATS. Different states have their own laws, which means about half the states have a requirement for trucks to have at least their low beams on 24/7 and the other half only requires them in bad weather/night.

No reason to be turning your lights on and off all the time.

I think maybe you could add some extra stuff about the laws of the countries which we have or maybe some extra information about use of the hazard lights?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:10 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

I usually drive with headlights on 24/7 and only use the highbeams at night when there's no one in front of my truck. I changed the bright/gamma settings, so from 21:00-22:00 it's usually pitch black and on some roads, highbeams are a must. Having lights on all of the time also helps others see my truck better, I have the weather set to 0 so it's always sunny for me, but others may be driving under a heavy rain and vissibility is a lot lower for them.

I totally agree with you.
In my eyes it is the safest and easiest thing to do.

Cheers,

spacer.png

pressing the light button once turns on the PARKING lights, at least in ATS. Parking lights are only for when you are parked on the side of the road at night. in real life, it uses too much energy for the low beams to be on (when the engine is off because you're parked), but its still important to be seen, so alas, the parking lights.

General rule of thumb is if you're thinking about whether its dark enough to use lights, then it definitely is.

in the game, depending on graphics settings, the high beams don't blind the other drivers like they do in real life. High beams during night are much worse due to the light difference between the ambient world and the lights, so having highbeams on in the day wont blind people as the outer environment in the day is much brighter than highbeams.

the "light horn" you're talking about is called "flashing your high beams" its totally legal and acceptable, and its usually only used to tell the person in front that they can merge in front of you (if their lane is ending or if they have their signals on to indicate they want to change lanes). You should not use it as a horn though, use the actual horn for that.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello @poland.ball

Please would you be able to update your guide to account for the fact that headlight restrictions are specific to the user, as they may have timezones enabled in-game or the Winter Mod; both of which will alter the time at which headlights are supposed to come on.

Otherwise I may have to archive this guide.

- Phon

- TruckersMP Community Manager

• 3 months later...

Yes the long differences are annoying but still a good guide ❤️ 

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

• 2 years later...