Convoy Ettiquette - Is it dying?

Thub42

Recently on organised convoys, on normal and on Event Servers there is an increasing lack of regard to other participants. 

There are convoy rules to try to keep things civil, such as No Overtaking and keep a reasonable distance but these now seem to be enforced sporadically.

At large organised events, we know it's going to potentially take upwards of an hour to leave the starting point, and the organisers state an order of when to leave, but this gets ignored and after a while even they give up and let the chaos continue.

More and more people specifically VTC members decide that it's perfectly fine to stop for fuel or stop on the side of the road, and instead of just filtering back into the convoy safely, will overtake upwards of 10 -20 trucks just to retake their 'Slot' or to get back to their VTC, while causing a huge disruption  and annoy the other participants in the process. It's even worse when the convoy is halted just because their friends/VTC members have stopped for fuel and they wait to give them room to get back out again. Actions like this only give the person (and their VTC) a bad rep.

Overtaking for no reason also causes unnecessary delays when that individual tries to cut back into the line, or starts to push someone off the road. It only causes annoyance and frustration and potential accidents either by the overtaker or by others looking for retribution.

There are also more and more cries of "The person in front is lagging" while driving less than 30 metres to the truck in front. I'm not sure whether it's an attempt to send someone to the back of the convoy or to try to gain position in the convoy but if anyone drives that close they get server lag. The requested distance of at least 50 meters is there for a reason. It's not that difficult to hit the tab key to check on your distance to the truck in front.

Just a thought, Please be considerate to everyone in the convoy as we are all there for the same reason. No one likes being constantly hit from behind because the other person hasn't left enough room to stop.
Turning up to a convoy with a full tank of fuel, and maybe even turning off realistic fuel for the duration of the convoy would make things a lot easier for everyone involved. 

if your VTC has new members , or if you haven't been to a convoy before, it might be a good idea for them to brush up on the rules - there's even a section on Temporary rules in the forum.

3 hours ago, Thub42 said:

will overtake upwards of 10 -20 trucks just to retake their 'Slot' or to get back to their VTC, while causing a huge disruption  and annoy the other participants in the process.... Actions like this only give the person (and their VTC) a bad rep.

Overtaking for no reason also causes unnecessary delays when that individual tries to cut back into the line, or starts to push someone off the road. It only causes annoyance and frustration and potential accidents either by the overtaker or by others looking for retribution...

This.

Recently on a charity drive, one certain VTC seemed to plague the server with these actions of catching up with their company by dangerously over-taking after a fuel stop or having to go afk or pull over.

I personally experienced this when a VTC driver was merging in from a petrol station, and I decided to give space and change to the fast lane to allow them space to merge in. The player then started to speed even more to overtake the truck in front of him to catch up with their own VTC, and then without checking their mirrors or maybe even caring, changed into my lane, colliding with my truck and sending me into the barrier which caused me to fly backwards, taking out 3 other players with close to 100% damage (including myself) in the process. 

I imagine most if not all convoys/events have the no-overtaking rule for this specific reason. Admins do a fantastic job of keeping a good amount of players from doing this, however if we all did our part to actually just be sensible and use common sense and pay attention to the rules, convoys will be a little happier for everyone.  

I hope all drivers can be a bit more considerate to the rules, and obviously mistakes can be made. But these event convoys are never a race, it's about being together with the community. Don't be afraid to drive with others and enjoy it :) 
that's what it is all about.

signature.png.01ca08257761c1d4ea766c13ccdc06af.png

Community Manager at SCS Software & Truckers.FM Founder.

TWG Is Opening A VTC Soon As Things Start Up But While We Are Building This VTC However Driving Matters To Me As My Name Is On Our Drivers And We Want Them To Treat The Game As It Was Meant To Be Training Will Be Required As I'll Be Making It. Otherwise Drivers With Bad Habits Of Driving Will Have To Be Trained Longer Before We Let Them Convoy Keeping Risks From Happening Such As The Following - But Couldn't Agree More Personally.

8 hours ago, London Truckers.FM said:

This.

Recently on a charity drive, one certain VTC seemed to plague the server with these actions of catching up with their company by dangerously over-taking after a fuel stop or having to go afk or pull over.

I personally experienced this when a VTC driver was merging in from a petrol station, and I decided to give space and change to the fast lane to allow them space to merge in. The player then started to speed even more to overtake the truck in front of him to catch up with their own VTC, and then without checking their mirrors or maybe even caring, changed into my lane, colliding with my truck and sending me into the barrier which caused me to fly backwards, taking out 3 other players with close to 100% damage (including myself) in the process. 

I imagine most if not all convoys/events have the no-overtaking rule for this specific reason. Admins do a fantastic job of keeping a good amount of players from doing this, however if we all did our part to actually just be sensible and use common sense and pay attention to the rules, convoys will be a little happier for everyone.  

I hope all drivers can be a bit more considerate to the rules, and obviously mistakes can be made. But these event convoys are never a race, it's about being together with the community. Don't be afraid to drive with others and enjoy it :) 
that's what it is all about.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reckless drivers out there. Common sense does not exist anymore. It see things like this happening all the time. When this happen, it takes the enjoyment away from the ones who are effected from the recklessness of others. TMP have some amazing Game Mods and work on the daily basis to prevent this from happening.. But they can only do so much. You hit it right on the head when you mentioned that the admins do a great job at preventing this and if everyone did their part to be sensible and use common sense.. the convoys and gameplay would be a happier place. Couldn't said it any better! 

647122462_NewBanner.jpg.82c9c4d67a006b4db2f6122ce7c100b1.jpg

Despite having not played the game for a long while, in my last convoys, I couldn’t agree more with what has been said in this topic so far.

Overtaking just to ‘be with your VTC’ is honestly just disrespectful towards the convoy organisers and a pain in the back-side for the participants to deal with.

If you truly want to ‘be with your VTC’, get them to pull over in a safe location and depart accordingly. If someone messes up your formation, ask them politely if you can pass them, otherwise stay where you are.

With regards to ‘the person in front is lagging’ case, you should simply allow for more distance. If it’s that unbearable, once again, ask politely if you can overtake.

I used to make a habit of reporting people for breaking rules, I’d tend not to allow people to force me out of the convoy, whatever the case may be unless they ask. And if they rammed me, they’d get banned, simple as that.

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

The behavior you said is there, but I don't think you should think that all VTCs are like this. A lot of Convoy will strictly demand their own players, let them follow the rules and give everyone a better gaming experience. However, there are many people who do not restrict their VTC members. Their VTC is just not casual to play, and is similar to the form of a club. We can't introduce rules to limit this behavior. In fact, TMP rules also say "no overtaking, in the case of more than 25 players in this area", but some people still do not perform well. I don't think there is any good way to solve this situation, but I have a bold idea: TMP can create a system in the form of a union (Convoy or VTC) that allows some people to join. For example, I created China-Chenxi-Convoy, I can add my players to this separate system, TMP can give me and my team management the right to kick them to the line against these players when they are slightly violating the rules This is also convenient when managing (such as overtaking, catching up, etc.). Just a naive suggestion, welcome to discuss this topic and look forward to your reply.

Best wishes to you!

China Chenxi VTC COO --- 中国晨曦俱乐部首席运营官

Chinese  --- English     

*Asia's first TruckersMP official verified VTC*

Our goal is the stars and the sea  

寻求帮助 I 规则 I 中文板块 I 封禁申诉 I 反馈 I 招聘

Even though im in a big VTC I haven't partook in any convoys. I prefer to drive solo.

But I have noticed a general disregard for non convoys players shown by those in a convoy. Whether its because they forget the rules as they are playing with their mates and their discord will be full of banter etc but convoys do tend to think they own the road. Whether this be blocking so they can drive side by side, pulling out of junctions just because their mate found a gap in the traffic etc

If only it was allowed to build a death truck with a huge snow plough on the front......

I find that the biggest issue is people who are always trying to pass other people in the convoy, sort of Gumball style. and then get mad at you for moving to the left lane when that's the only lane to keep going along on the motorway. (which is pretty bad design on SCS's part btw)

But normally as long as you drive defensively, lower your graphics setting to combat lag, and just accept loads of people are going to quite frankly recklessly cut in front of you in a big convoy, it's usually all fine. 

Overall, as more and more people who play on TMP because it's a multiplayer game, rather than another way to enjoy ETS, etiquette is going to suffer. so just stay optimistic, and hopefully stay with some like minded sensible drivers.

Hello There

I'm moving your topic to the Archive section because your topic inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). Because every day a lot of new topics are opening up and now the community wants to discuss a new discussion, so we archive the topic that are inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). We apply these procedures to keep the forum meticulously and actively in this way.

If you have any question, don't be afraid to PM me :=)

// Locked and moved to Archive.

Y6JLoj.png.1482f0bf87625eca4c05028e655c74c1.png

Archived