Why do we drive too fast?

B&Č Transport ASIR [CZE]

On 3/19/2019 at 9:36 PM, Addict2SimsQc said:

Hey just gotta say THIS:

IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE FASTER THAN THE LIMITS, GO SINGLE PLAYER/CAREER!!!

It's players like you that causes accidents, crashes...

I'm taking pride to say that I'm one of those who respects road rules; slowing down in curves(thus avoiding cuting in th other lane)and respects stops and lights(or at least traffic priorities)...

Yesterday night me and a friend we crossed path with a south-american company(won't specify (which) that were driving way too fast in a 2-lanes-2-ways, they cut the turn and hit him, breaking hard his truck, trailer and load...

Earlier, an other friend was crossing a green light and got hit by a "bob-tail racer" who never even slowed down on his red lignt...

PLEASE RESPECT THE OTHER PLAYERS....

This assumes that everyone that drives faster than the limits are immediately a problem to all other players on the server, so asking for everyone to abide by the road's rules "to respect everyone else" is too big an assumption. There are plenty of people that can drive 100 km/h and make proper turns without endangering other players. There are plenty of people that can drive fast but not recklessly, and putting people that cut corners on the same level as those that drive quickly with no care for their enviroment is almost insulting in my opinion.

Regardless, I personally do drive "too fast". I also basically only drive in quiter areas where coming across another player is rare. When I do get to a busier area, I pay better attention and drive slower to avoid crashes and problems. Furthermore it depends on the road how fast I drive. If it's on a highway and there aren't others nearby, I might drive 150 km/h if the road is straight enough. If it's a regular, small road I drive anywhere between 70 and 110, depending on the turns and the possible other players nearby.

I don't really have an explanation for driving that fast. I've seen someone else assume that everyone that drives that quickly play the game purely for the sake of racing, but that's not really true in my case (though I do enjoy myself some Mario Kart). I just always get this feeling that I shouldn't really waste my time, and if I have the opportunity to go faster without being a danger for anyone else then I'll take it. Obviously this does increase the chances of me getting into an accident, however as stated before I always drive more safely when others are around, so in these cases the only one I'm endangering is myself.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see a problem to drive fast, especially down an empty highway. The problem is when there's more traffic and the driver can't handle the truck accordingly. But most of the time I drive 90 or less, it really depends on my mood. I guess the point of games is that you can do things you wouldn't or couldn't do in real life. Like heck I don't even do the 60 km/h speed limit down country roads in Germany, I'd rather do 70 or 80 to be honest.

KkdaC1b.png

Speeding if fine (IMO) as long as you still respect others in game . When I’m speeding along and see another player ahead I’ll slow down to the same speed as he/she .let them know I’m there and see how they drive before deciding whether is safe to overtake or not . I never just barrel past at speed .

on smaller roads I’m always keeping my speed to a limit I can cope with .

I like to drive fast, but i am aware of other traffic. If there's heavy traffic, i don't mind slowing down to prevent an accident.

I honestly can't fathom WHY anyone playing ETS2MP wants to drive fast because there are so many games out there that support going stupidly fast much better than ETS2 does, such as Forza Motorsport/Horizon, Gran Turismo, GTA, Need For Speed, etc. What's the point in driving like a lunatic in a truck game and risk a costly collision and a potential ban, when you can get in a Ferrari in those games and do 200mph+.?

5 hours ago, McclaudEagle said:

I honestly can't fathom WHY anyone playing ETS2MP wants to drive fast because there are so many games out there that support going stupidly fast much better than ETS2 does, such as Forza Motorsport/Horizon, Gran Turismo, GTA, Need For Speed, etc. What's the point in driving like a lunatic in a truck game and risk a costly collision and a potential ban, when you can get in a Ferrari in those games and do 200mph+.?

I like trucks. I find most of the Ferrari's and all of those show-off cars extremely boring.

Forza Community: Rammers, trollers, 150 times worse than TruckersMP. Expensive.

Gran Turismo: I don't own a "modern" console, and I don't want to purchase one for a ridiculous price.

GTA: Its GTA. More of a heist/deathmatch game than it is a racer. Also worse than TruckersMP for anyone who wants to just drive around, albeit fast. Expensive.

Need For Speed: Arcade physics, will get bored within 1 or 2 hours. Expensive.

Nearly every other game: Too expensive (or pay-to-play)/Won't run well/Boring.

I don't understand why people drive like its a racing game in populated areas (when theres lots of people), but I can understand people driving quickly.

And the majority of people who drive like it actually is a racing game don't have any DLC and don't care if they have to make/buy a new steam account and the game for real cheap.

I think the issue is how easy it is to just make/buy a new account.

It costs less than a dollar to buy a used, vac banned, Steam account. But VAC bans don't matter for TruckersMP (even though I think they should.) All set up. Email and everything. About $5 for an ETS2 key. Altogether, its about $6 USD for a brand new account with ETS2, ready for trolling, ramming, anything you want for roughly 6 bans. Then they re-sell the account to the next person waiting for an account to get banned on another game, and make almost all of their money back.

Of course, I don't support any of this. Im just saying what happens.

Maybe im just old but I cant get my head around the thought process (or lack of?) behind those that want to drive as fast as they can.

When buying  the game originally, it clearly says Euro Truck SIMULATOR in the title. At which point do these players take that to mean its not a simulator at all but a racing game? Or do they think it’s a simulator just because you can drive a truck and that’s where the simulator part ends?

I guess im in the group of players that takes a simulator to mean that you play the game to simulate a real life experience, in this case – driving a truck and everything that goes with that. Racing at max speed just doesn’t enter my head.

Even when these racing players want to race around, why do they need to do it around everyone else and risk getting banned. I just don’t get it.

44 minutes ago, ASIR [CZE] said:

@S p a r k i e If you are looking for racing game, I suggest you to look for Dirt games or GRID 2.

Grid 2 is another arcadey type game, which not what I enjoy (I want physics, not a loose understanding of how cars work in action movies), I have Dirt3 and I just start that up once or twice a year when I want rally/rallycross, which isn't really often. Same thing for Forza, if I want to race cars among people with no understanding of etiquette, which isn't often, I will download that 90+ GB game of broken mess and play it for about an hour, then delete it because its a waste of disk space.

Im not looking for a racing game though, they almost always attract trolls which will ruin your day and waste hours of your life compared to waiting a minute or two because someone decides to cut you off in a truck simulator where people happen to drive quickly (and sometimes recklessly) in an unofficial multiplayer mod for it. Im looking for a simulator where I happen to be allowed to drive how I want. Add the multiplayer mod, and a few rules are added which makes the experience better. Plus, I like trucks. Cars for me, almost all of them, are pretty boring. It just so happens there aren't really any good truck racing simulators with a large following.

(I know this post/comment starts to go somewhat off topic here, but whatever lol)

There are serious trolls that play TruckersMP, but the majority of people (95%) don't intend to cause any harm. A lot of people vastly overestimate the amount of truly bad drivers because they are noticed more than anyone else.

When you can notice this? In a traffic jam. Almost everyone is stopped, waiting at least somewhat patiently. Then theres the two or three people that come along and mess it all up.

@[VIVA] Andy Suter

It is a simulator, yes. There is no strictly defined goal of this simulator (only a loose "transport stuff, make money, buy trucks, expand"), and there are only very loose rules. If SCS wasn't okay with us driving fast, they wouldn't allow us to turn off speed limiters.

Simulators are meant to simulate things that could happen, yes, but they are defining theirselves and the real rules of how they should be played with what is possible in them, especially when it comes down to important settings. Just by having the option to disable the speed limiter shows players that it is okay to drive past 90 km/h, as there is no game ending issue with speeding, especially in multiplayer where the only things that can capture your speed are easily avoided.

Plus, it happens that people do remove speed limiters and governors from their trucks in real life.

In the EU, it isn't as popular, but here in the US? Many companies remove the 65 MPH governors, even though California (they are looking at changing speed limits of trucks from 55 MPH to 65 MPH, as well as speed limits for cars are being raised because there is congestion from the low speed limits) legally requires trucks to be governed if they are in that state.

Plus the Steam page of ETS2 seems to seriously support that:

"Travel across Europe as king of the road, a trucker who delivers important cargo across impressive distances! With dozens of cities to explore from the UK, Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, and many more, your endurance, skill and speed will all be pushed to their limits."

I usually try to drive the safest speed according to the traffic and the location. By safest speed, I mainly mean the fastest I can comfortably drive without risking my truck to either tip over or rear end anyone in front of me. I usually like to drive the same pace as anyone I find in front of me as I do in real life so if they're not speeding and doing the most reckless turns, I'll be driving behind em as I'm never in a rush.

In cities, unless it's a ghost town, I never break the speed limit.

Sometimes Its fun to drive fast instead of just going 90 kph. But I really only do it if the road is completely empty. But if other people are on the road and driving normal, then I'll do the same. I like having fun, but I dont want to ruin the fun for others.

Speeding in populated areas, or low fps areas or just where there are alot of people is a no-go for me. 

• -Tomukas- locked and unlocked this topic

Archived