Do you slow down, when you are being overtaken?

B&Č Transport ASIR [CZE]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not. It is not my job to compensate for bad drivers who make poor choices. Now, if I see a potential accident lining up, of course I will then take any safe routes I can to mitigate an accident.

Here is a video of me being overtaken by someone who knows how to drive correctly.

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

Slowing down is the best option for both players isn't it? The person overtaking you will get what he or she wants meanwhile you will get saved from any sudden lagspikes or people cutting you off. Going faster will cause problems most of the time anyway which becomes a race...

If I notice that the overtaking truck is having a hard time overtaking, I'll let them past & then back in front, but if they're just speeding past with no care at all I'll mind my own business and stay at the same speed. Never speed up though, that's just unnecessary.

sig.php?id=76561198183828141

|| Steam | TruckersMP | Twitch Panda#5167 ||

I slow down if there might not be enough room to pass, unless they are driving like maniacs behind me, then I maintain my previous action (whether its accelerating, coasting, or braking)

The overtaking manoeuvre is a very complex action that needs the attention and concentration of both, the one who intends to overtake and the one who is overtaken. 

The one who intends to overtake has to drive at a considerably higher speed than the one who is overtaken.

Furthermore, the one who intends to overtake must ensure that no other traffic participant is endangered during the whole overtaking process. 

One must not never overtake if the traffic situation is unclear. That includes but is not limited to overtaking at slopes, in turns, in crossroads, etc.

Also do not overtake in bad visibility or if overtaking is forbidden by road traffic signs. 

An intended overtaking manoeuvre must be indicated in a timely manner with the turn signal indicator.

The one overtaken must not increase speed when being overtaken.

If considerably slower, one must give way, slow down or even stop at a suitable and safe position. 

I consider all of the above mentioned suggestions when I overtake or when I am overtaken. 

It depends on a situation, if the road is free and I'm driving really slow of course I'll let the per to overtake me by slowing down but if I already go with 120km/h for example and someone wants to overtake me I won't slow down as It's already too fast and if the player thinks that it's slow then that's his problem. Also, I always try to avoid crashes when someone is making dangerous overtaking by going out of my line and letting the player overtake.

I will not slow down for anyone overtaking me unless a collision is highly likely. As soon as someone makes an attempt to pass me, they're accepting all the responsibilities that come with doing so, including making sure they can do so quickly, and the road ahead is clear for them to do it. I won't speed up, but I won't slow down either. You lie in the bed the way you make it.

I wouldn't go at your speed regardless.

I prefer to play as if it were a simulation of real life - In real life, I would never consider doing 100km+ on a country road.

But, for the most part, would I slow down had I been doing the speed limit - Not at all.

He should be able to give himself enough time to merge, I might occasionally flash my high-beams to signal that the given user could pull in, however.

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

When playing ETS2 I usually move at 85 km / h, so overtaking my set is not a big feat. It is a pity that a large part of our ETS2 community treats this as Need for Speed.

According to traffic regulations, a person in this case, the player performing a maneuver ahead of the start is obliged to make sure that he can do it safely. How it really is, we all know it well.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:11 PM, JeffSFC said:

I do not. It is not my job to compensate for bad drivers who make poor choices. Now, if I see a potential accident lining up, of course I will then take any safe routes I can to mitigate an accident.

Agree.

I do not slow down either, because:

1. For instance, if it happens on the C-D road, this ain't my fault if they get rammed by oncoming traffic, as it is already adviced by TMP staff not to overtake on that particular road.
  2. If it happens on the highway, I don't see a reason to slow down, as there's not oncoming traffic and they have plenty of time to get in front of me before pulling in.

But yet again, just like Jeff states, if I see a potential accident about to unfold, I will take my safety precautions.

For instance, I have experienced being overtaken on a 3-lane highway, by 2 trucks at the same time. Me in the right lane, someone overtaking me in the middle lane, and someone overtaking that particular truck in the left lane, but that left truck had intentions to ram the truck overtaking me. In that case, I would slow down to avoid getting rammed by the truck overtaking me, in case he gets hit by the guy from the left lane.

KjhfSmo.jpg

When I am in the process of being overtaken I usually slow down when I am sure there's no conflict (traffic behind me, slopes, etc); this would make it easier for the other driver to overtake me, otherwise I would maintain my speed.
After all, proper signaling and situational awareness is very important in such maneuvers.

Archived