Do you slow down, when you are being overtaken?

B&Č Transport ASIR [CZE]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course , always is better a slow down , when you are overtaken , because I think , that we shoud prevent a some big accidents :) And you do not fotget give a some singal with lights , that the player can back to the right side , when he overtaken us .

Greetings,

----- Dark_Owl -----:)

I always slow down. In part because I do not trust myself to be able to drive safely with another truck besides me at high speeds, but also to signal to the driver behind me that it's fine to overtake me.

Obviously I think the matter of "Should you slow down or not" depends massively on how fast you're actually going. If you're going 120 km/hour on a highway, then the person behind you shouldn't try to overtake you in the first place. They're the ones responsible if anything actually goes wrong there. If you're going 50 km/hour on any road, then there shouldn't be any need to slow down (depending on the amount of traffic in the area). But if you're driving, say, 90 km/hour, I'd deem it safer to just give them that bit of extra space by slowing down to 80 or 70 km/hour.

Once again though this comes from someone that doesn't trust himself to actually be able to not get into an accident under these circumstances. Feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

I didn't deem it necessary to slow down since the max speed I drive is 90 km/h regardless of the contract. But I might start to slow down to 80 km/h after I had a near accident with someone who tried to overtake me yesterday. That person was overtaking me with 100 km/h and an Autobahn exit was coming up that I had to use. Turns out the other driver had to use it as well and they started to turn into the right lane when they weren't even past me instead of slowing down and falling back in line behind me. In order to avoid a crash, I had to quickly pull onto the hard shoulder and break hard so that they could pull into the exit without colliding into me. They apologized afterwards, but that incident showed me that you just can't trust randoms to drive carefully, so I have to take my safety in my own hands.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:16 PM, LFS CEO Panda said:

If I notice that the overtaking truck is having a hard time overtaking, I'll let them past & then back in front, but if they're just speeding past with no care at all I'll mind my own business and stay at the same speed. Never speed up though, that's just unnecessary.

:troll: For TMP, when you are doing WOT missions, 90km/h is as fast as it goes, so if people wanna pass me, i just keep my speed and let them try~

I find, especially on the CD road where people will pass you even if there's oncoming traffic, I've started subconsciously moving right the way over so the 3 trucks abreast can be fitted on to the road, as dealing with constant crashes is agony.

normally, I'm just doing 90, so there's no need, 

if I'm going faster and they are mostly past me, with oncoming traffic now insight, I will slow down, just to keep things safe, if they're just parallel with the wheels on my trailer, they can work out for themselves how to sort out their mess 

Since I'm limited to 90 kph I will only slow down for another limited truck that is struggling to pass me.  Otherwise I don't care about the other driver, you're driving an HGV not a sports car.  If a player wants to be stupid and pass on a tight, congested road, I'm not going to make their life easier by slowing, I'm going to just continue my route and laugh at you as you wreck your truck.

I dont think I have ever slowed down when I was overtaken, or even speed up. I just let them overtake. But if you are on C-D road then you should maybe slow down so that if another truck comes opposite side, you will prevent a head-on. But usually im the one overtaking and I have never seen anyone slow down for me.

Speeding up strictly to prevent someone from overtaking you is aggressive driving and often reckless. Albeit, in many situations, a driver should not be passing in the first place, that doesn't make it ok to intentionally make it more difficult. If someone else drives bad, it shouldn't mean that others should do the same as payback. That's what moderators are here for :) 

909352999_role_RetiredTeamMember.png.778

1753152791_role_ReportModerator.png.19771713344466_role_GameModerator.png.6d5d141071312553_role_GameModeratorLeader.png.927432954_role_HumanResources.png.9c8e45

9 hours ago, Terry A said:

Speeding up strictly to prevent someone from overtaking you is aggressive driving and often reckless. Albeit, in many situations, a driver should not be passing in the first place, that doesn't make it ok to intentionally make it more difficult. If someone else drives bad, it shouldn't mean that others should do the same as payback. That's what moderators are here for :) 

Also applies in real life traffic, if someone is does something he shouldn't have, you are definitely not supposed to make it harder for them to do it and with that increase the likelihood of an accident. So, if there's a truck coming the other way, the right thing to do is brake and let the passing truck pass you as fast as possible and enable him to return to the correct lane.

Archived