Thoughts on American Truck Simulator

The B3AST

So what are your thoughts on ATS? What do you like/dislike about ATS? 

For me, I absolutely LOVE the game! If I had to complain, it would be on the timing of new content. I wish SCS would provide more content for the game a little bit faster. Also, I wish there were better sock sounds for the trucks. Especially for the Volvo! Man that thing sound like crap. Other then that.... AWESOME game and would recommend it to everyone I know. 

647122462_NewBanner.jpg.82c9c4d67a006b4db2f6122ce7c100b1.jpg

When I bought American Truck Simulator I didn't expect that the game is so good because of bad reviews from the community like there are not many trucks and etc. but the game is just really amazing. First of all, that views outside cities are just wonderful and I enjoyed driving there even on the empty server where you won't meet anyone but to be honest I prefer playing online in the busy areas, so last time I still play more ETS2 than ATS. I hope one-day ATS will be as busy as ETS2 and we'll have our own C-D road there.

You might have taken one look at the title of American Truck Simulator and laughed it off, and who could blame you? The word “simulator” has been overused to the point of ridicule over the last few years, and prior to that could mostly be found on some of the least interesting software known to man. But ATS isn’t like that. It’s the sequel to the much-celebrated Euro Truck Simulator 2, and it’s worthy of serious consideration if you like driving games. I donned my trucker hat to see whether ATS is worth your time, and I’m utterly hooked. In terms of simulating the feeling of driving a great big truck, ATS achieves what it sets out to do. Coming straight off the back of Euro Truck Simulator, this shouldn’t surprise you — the handling and driving mechanics are the most refined aspects of the game, and hurtling down the freeway with a trailer load of fireworks feels better than it sounds. The handling is satisfyingly sluggish, exacting but undeniably heavy — just the way it should be. 

But there’s more to ATS than simply driving trucks. Developers SCS Software have also added RPG elements to keep you hungry for more. Completing jobs, discovering locations, and even parking your truck in the right place earns you XP, which in turn levels your character up. Each time you level up you unlock a skill, which in turn provides you with more varied jobs, and the chance to earn even more money.

You can, for example, become proficient in delivering high value or fragile cargo. You can unlock dangerous goods licenses, become an increasingly long distance trucker, or choose to level up your fuel efficiency in order to save money. There’s no right way to play the game, and just like any other RPG you can pretty much do it your way. Once you’ve earned enough money (or decided to take on a bank loan) you can buy your own truck, and grow your empire — taking on more expenses, but unlocking the ability to earn much more money with each job. In that sense, it’s a business simulation too.

I do not like and do not play ATSfor one simple reason.

It was released Before it was Finished, SCS made me really dissapointed.   I played it for like an hour tops. Barely any trucks, only one area to drive with Little to no details and just wide open areas and massive roads.

Uninstalled it quckly and im not looking back. 

Meanwhile each addition to ETS is Amazing.

Jimmy 'Arradin ' Stigsjöö

TruckersMP

se.gif - gb.gif

Facebook - Twitch - Youtube - Steam

" One Minute in Heaven "

4 hours ago, BL4CK$K1LL said:

When I bought American Truck Simulator I didn't expect that the game is so good because of bad reviews from the community like there are not many trucks and etc. but the game is just really amazing. First of all, that views outside cities are just wonderful and I enjoyed driving there even on the empty server where you won't meet anyone but to be honest I prefer playing online in the busy areas, so last time I still play more ETS2 than ATS. I hope one-day ATS will be as busy as ETS2 and we'll have our own C-D road there.

I agree! I love the scenery. I love playing online as well. That's where most of my game time came from lol. Every now and then I'd go on SP and mess around with a few mods. 

4 hours ago, Adelina said:

You might have taken one look at the title of American Truck Simulator and laughed it off, and who could blame you? The word “simulator” has been overused to the point of ridicule over the last few years, and prior to that could mostly be found on some of the least interesting software known to man. But ATS isn’t like that. It’s the sequel to the much-celebrated Euro Truck Simulator 2, and it’s worthy of serious consideration if you like driving games. I donned my trucker hat to see whether ATS is worth your time, and I’m utterly hooked. In terms of simulating the feeling of driving a great big truck, ATS achieves what it sets out to do. Coming straight off the back of Euro Truck Simulator, this shouldn’t surprise you — the handling and driving mechanics are the most refined aspects of the game, and hurtling down the freeway with a trailer load of fireworks feels better than it sounds. The handling is satisfyingly sluggish, exacting but undeniably heavy — just the way it should be. 

But there’s more to ATS than simply driving trucks. Developers SCS Software have also added RPG elements to keep you hungry for more. Completing jobs, discovering locations, and even parking your truck in the right place earns you XP, which in turn levels your character up. Each time you level up you unlock a skill, which in turn provides you with more varied jobs, and the chance to earn even more money.

You can, for example, become proficient in delivering high value or fragile cargo. You can unlock dangerous goods licenses, become an increasingly long distance trucker, or choose to level up your fuel efficiency in order to save money. There’s no right way to play the game, and just like any other RPG you can pretty much do it your way. Once you’ve earned enough money (or decided to take on a bank loan) you can buy your own truck, and grow your empire — taking on more expenses, but unlocking the ability to earn much more money with each job. In that sense, it’s a business simulation too.

Yes "Simulator" is overused big time. ATS has proven to be just what it says in the Title! I absolutely LOVE the game. I was a trucker in real life and my wife never could understand why I would come home and play a trucking simulator game when I was on the road for 2 months or so at a time. :) Oh and yes Managing and running a trucking company would make it a business simulator as well :) 

1 hour ago, Arradin said:

I do not like and do not play ATSfor one simple reason.

It was released Before it was Finished, SCS made me really dissapointed.   I played it for like an hour tops. Barely any trucks, only one area to drive with Little to no details and just wide open areas and massive roads.

Uninstalled it quckly and im not looking back. 

Meanwhile each addition to ETS is Amazing.

I think ATS was just a trial to see how it would turn out in the community. If that's the case... It totally make sense why they had the small team working on the game and the limited game content. The game took off and was more then they could handle which explains the increase in the dev team. Now that they have more people working on the game, we are starting to get more content quicker. As far as the trucks go... They have to sit down with each manufacture of the truck they want to put into the game and get a license to do so. that can be lengthy process depending on how quick they can get through the legal aspect.  

1 minute ago, ShawnLC said:

I think ATS was just a trial to see how it would turn out in the community. If that's the case... It totally make sense why they had the small team working on the game and the limited game content. The game took off and was more then they could handle which explains the increase in the dev team. Now that they have more people working on the game, we are starting to get more content quicker. As far as the trucks go... They have to sit down with each manufacture of the truck they want to put into the game and get a license to do so. that can be lengthy process depending on how quick they can get through the legal aspect.  

While i fully understand your Point here, i absolutely do not agree.

ATS was not advertised as a work in progress, early access or anything of the sort.   It was advertised as a full game at full price, and delivered nothing.

All of what you describe above are part of creating a game. And yes it takes time.  Throwing out Betas as full games are very common nowadays, and i refuse to support it.

Not that it matters that much, they already have my Money..   And i generally support SCS by buying addons, cause they are all Amazing..    I just feel that ETS has Everything that ATS have, but does it better ( and much MUCH more progressed ) , so there is no reason for me to go " back " to ATS.

Jimmy 'Arradin ' Stigsjöö

TruckersMP

se.gif - gb.gif

Facebook - Twitch - Youtube - Steam

" One Minute in Heaven "

1 minute ago, Arradin said:

While i fully understand your Point here, i absolutely do not agree.

ATS was not advertised as a work in progress, early access or anything of the sort.   It was advertised as a full game at full price, and delivered nothing.

All of what you describe above are part of creating a game. And yes it takes time.  Throwing out Betas as full games are very common nowadays, and i refuse to support it.

Not that it matters that much, they already have my Money..   And i generally support SCS by buying addons, cause they are all Amazing..    I just feel that ETS has Everything that ATS have, but does it better ( and much MUCH more progressed ) , so there is no reason for me to go " back " to ATS.

Oh no brother! Not trying to convince anyone to play or not play ATS. This was just see how people feel about the game. Yea I agree that the whole beta as full game is too common. As far as ETS 2 being more progressed... look at the time frame between the two games. They have a much bigger team working on that game. SCS is located in Prague, Czech Republic. So it's a bit easier to do research for content...unlike researching content for something on the other side of the globe lol. Although, I do feel that there should have been a bit more content for the game on release.    

Here are my pro and cons of American Truck Simulator.

Pro:

1.simulates trucking in the United States of America

2. good graphics

3. economy system

4. TruckersMP support

5. police vehicles react to actions like passing a red light

6. love to details

Cons:

1. only a few trucks to choose 

2. a lot fewer people on TruckersMP than in ETS2

3. smaller area to drive

In conclusion I like playing ATS. However, in my opinion ETS2 is the better game overall, especially because of the multiplayer activity. ;)

Best regards

Niklas200215

Thoughts?

My thoughts say I have about 130 hours in the game already next to 1300+ on 18 Wheels of Steel titles I accumulated throughout the life span of the series started with Hard Truck (2002). The line "18 Wheels of Steel" should talk a lot to you why American Truck Simulator is a progressive effort of doing a modern trucking game in the west. Much like the Euro Truck sim that released with 30% the content it has currently and unlicensed brands on top of no owned trailers, the game paves its way to a great future.

Niklas cited one false thing as a con: the multiplayer activity. While pretty stagnant, less players - more fun.for a joint group convoys, less issues in general. The better. Yet to buy ATS? Don't jump immediately into multiplayer. Venture into the single player immersion.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I first started playing ATS as soon as it released a few years ago, as I did with ETS2 when it was first released. I have been a long time follower of SCS Software since the 18 Wheels of Steel series when it first came out. Following the announcement of ATS, I was shocked to hear that they were coming out with a new American-styled truck simulator and it caused me to end up following the progress. I was very surprised to actually get a new title based in the US with updated features and graphics.

I personally prefer ATS than ETS2 because I love American trucks over European trucks. But, I still play both simulators and enjoy both of them equally. Currently, I have over 1500 hours on ATS and only 240 hours on ETS2 (which 90% of my hours are on multiplayer). If I could want anything improved on ATS, I wish we had proper truck sounds, more truck & trailer selections, and load selections. Yes, I know license brands are a struggle to obtain.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the future will bring with new content and features.

I highly recommend the simulator to anyone who is interested in American trucking.

Have a question? Feel free to message me.

Feedback | Rules | Support | News | Meet the Team

I bought American Truck Simulator on 4th July 2016 (coincidentally), just 2 months after I originally bought ETS2. I remember it was always in my steam library but I never played it as much as ETS2. One day I decided I'll give it a shot and see how it is. I must say, I really liked it. Playing around 100 hours of ETS2 and being used to that style then moving to a game like ATS was really strange but I liked it. 

Nowadays, I don't play ATS as often however it's always nice to hop over into ATS to have the same feeling as ETS2 but a whole different experience. I prefer the trucks in ATS as I feel like they are much easier to control and I honestly think they look nice compared to the trucks in ETS2, which seem blocky. It's a shame that ETS2 is more of a priority than ATS however ATS is still getting constant development and I'm really enjoying it. The DLCs also are excellent, you can see SCS have put time and effort into the game.

If you have around 15-20 pounds/dollar laying around and you don't already own the game, you should definitely buy it! 

In addition: it's a lot more fun in multiplayer ;) 

yo

Well my thoughts are

ATS had pretty much the same begining as ETS (not ETS2) but with less trucks and less area to drive on (well maybe you bought it in early access like me and got some more content for free later on) but i really liked ATS especially when i downloaded some cool mods that added more trucks and way much more area to drive on.

But now im not playin ATS so much (basically because i want to develop my VTC to perfection so i only focus on ETS2 at the moment) but no matter if it has got less trucks and less roads than ETS2 its still fun to drive there because there are some beatiful places and i like the trucks that are similiar to Peterbilt 379 but im still european and i arther the european trucks because they are harder to control so you can't just take a corner with 80km/h but still i was kinda dissapointed at the game because SCS said already in 2013 they are doing ATS and then 3 years later you just got 2 trucks Nevada and California and nothing more but now with the DLCs it's better than before 

and don't go immediately to MP because there are some players that can ruin your fun 

So you can buy it but if you expect something like ETS2 than don't 

To be honest... I don't think you can really compare ATS and ETS 2...(personal opinion) That's like comparing a car to a semi-truck. Which one is better? Well in a truck, you can do things that you can't do in a car...in ETS 2... you can do things that you can't do in ATS. ETS 2 has been out for some time now and much further in development then ATS. Much more content and a far much bigger development team. ATS was just a back-end project that they put out to see how it would do in the community. ATS took off like a rocket and was a bit more then what they were prepared to handle at the time. They increased their team and starting to put out content a lot faster. 

@Joao Rodrigues Yessssa! The landscapes is the thing that gets me all the time! I've been a trucker in real life for 5 years and traveled the whole entire US! I've seen just about it all. Not being able to drive because of medical reasons now, I chose ATS as my goto game of choice when I want to get that feel of being on the road. ATS serves me right! With some game enhancements files such as Reshade.... Makes the game look just like real life and driving through some ares with landmarks bring back good memories! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Big Shawn

Thank you so much for interacting with the community with this great post. You are awesome! I must inform you that after an inactive period of 14 days a topic will be moved to our archive.

That is the reason for why the topic will be locked and moved towards there. Do not hesitate to start a new dicussion or join one ^^

If you have any questions, please message me in private

//Locked and moved

• Guest locked this topic

Archived