EU & US server should get merged

Zisch

ATS is already struggling to keep a healthy playerbase outside of official convoys, WoT events, new patches or DLC releases and this is being made a bit worse by having the players to decide between 2 location-based servers.

Why I think merging both servers won't be a big deal:

• Higher player latencies (like 150-300ms) are perfectly fine for a slow paced game like ATS
  • Such higher latencies not necessary mean having to deal with visibly laggy drivers. That is often more related to low bandwidth or unstable internet connections.
  • No huge player hotspots like in ETS2 where latency issues of drivers could indeed cause frequent havoc
  • US and EU peak times are different, so merging servers won't cause a sudden, big increase of server/player load.
  • All ETS2 servers are based in the EU with players from all over the world and everything seems fine.

What do you think about it? Did I miss a crucial reason which supports the splitting of the player base?

I have to disagree with your suggestion. reasons are:

1. there are people who, like me, have only 1 ISP in their town. and connecting to any of the EU servers get an average 200-300ms ping with spikes well over 1k. hitting that is an instant kick for high ping.

2. ATS rarely has a mod on the server at least for the US server, which for the most part is a fairly user friendly server. I have seen incidents of the trolls on the EU ATS server.

3. there are people from South America that connect to the US server. moving the server to the EU would, for a fair amount players from there to be told you can no longer play MP.

you may also want to note this has been suggested before. I will point you to this topic. 

Having two servers is bad for total player counts per server, but it is good because people live in different regions. Different people have different internet, some with higher overall latency. Either way, you'd have to choose between having the server in the EU or the US. I prefer to have a US server just as much as people from the EU want an EU server, due to lower ping.

7 hours ago, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

I have to disagree with your suggestion. reasons are:

1. there are people who, like me, have only 1 ISP in their town. and connecting to any of the EU servers get an average 200-300ms ping with spikes well over 1k. hitting that is an instant kick for high ping.

2. ATS rarely has a mod on the server at least for the US server, which for the most part is a fairly user friendly server. I have seen incidents of the trolls on the EU ATS server.

3. there are people from South America that connect to the US server. moving the server to the EU would, for a fair amount players from there to be told you can no longer play MP.

you may also want to note this has been suggested before. I will point you to this topic. 

I think the wisest solution would be that the 1 server be host in US for ATS, as more people are playing it from NA

Only reliable choice I can think of? Get to host the server on the east coast - closer to Europe, so EU peeps can have as much stable pings, while it won't be crucial to US players both living on the west/east coast. I don't know how ISP's in the west work and how good the service is.

Problem comes when the Asian part of the world wants to join that same server - would mean instant autokick for high ping. And SCS' has a lot of fans in Asia playing their games both in singleplayer and multiplayer, must be put into consideration too!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cannot agree with this. There have been times when the US server is down and it was just the US. As the fact that there are other players can only connect to US servers. I would rather have good ping with 300 players than have 300 ping with 400 players. Merging to one server won't make much sense, an if they do merge, it should be a US server, not EU.

I disagree with this idea.

The Europe server have their peak of around 400 players at certain times where EU players are awake and there's the United States server which has it's peak at around 400 players as well when NA players are awake.
It is a disadvantage for either group of players having to use a server that is not in their region as it can cause lag issues or even a reliable connection error where a user may not be able to join.

If you were interested to putting this forward to TruckersMP, you can make an official suggestion in this subforum: https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/forum/285-suggestions/ but it will most likely get denied as it has been suggested multiple times before and it will most likely never happen due to latency for all players.

yo

Even though it sounds like a fun idea, it probably won't really work.

It will definitely cause connectivity issues for some people, and even if it is not affecting that many people it would be weird to exclude them. 

Also because NA and Europe have different peak times it probably wouldn't have a noticeable impact on the server population. I think the best we can hope for is more map DLC's and Trucks that will lure players from ETS2MP to ATSMP.  Events might do the trick too. Big Sur definitely caused some Calais-Duisburg type situations in ATSMP. 

For now, I think it is best to keep two separate servers for both continents. Let's just hope for some more players in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived