Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

What is the theoretical limit of the number of people that could be on the map at once?

jiunaughten

If servers cost nothing and an infinite number of people could fit onto the ETS2 map, how many people could fit on it at once before there is just not enough room for all of those vehicles?

Likewise, how many people could fit on it at once if everyone was a perfect driver but they actually wanted space within which to move?

And similarly, how many people could fit on it if the drivers were like they are on the CD road, and the traffic density is like that over the entire map?

I'm not expecting any proper answers by any means, I am just curious if anyone would be able to give an estimate.

That is actually a very good question someone asked in a longtime, 

If we focus on reality here, server's cant handle anything more than 2500-3000 due to latency limitations and connection strength.

But if we were to ignore that completely and see how many people can we fit on the map on the same server with some magic, I will pick a round figure between 800,000-900,000 and go with it , that number gives you loads of people on map with enough space for driving.

If we were to consider everyone had every single map expansion out there, you could say 1.5 Mil players or more spread across the entire map.

That's just my thoughts.

I remember seeing 320 people in an event at the same time. If I need to give a maximum number, I don't think even the best computer can support more than 1000 people for dx9. ;)

Kind regards,

Snap Dragon

TruckersMP — GML | Game Moderator Leader

GökBörü VTC — COO | Chief Operating Officer

CHub (Drivers Hub) — PM | Project Manager

339458068_role_Translator(1).png.1c7213d of the Year 2019

Well.... so if we basically ignore the hardware limitations we should be able to have an infinite number of players because No Collision Zones :kappa:And being serious, I tried to calculate some basics. Calais and Duisburg usually have about 100 players, so let's use this number for the following calculations. We have 138 cities ingame so 100*138=13800. That would be some basic number for players in all cities. We have around 300 players on the CD road, so let's imagine we have another 100 roads of like the CD road, we have about 30000 players there. Adding these number we achive 43,8k players. Still, there are many smaller roads which I haven't counted, so I would go for about 100k players.

To get a reliable number it would require to measure the trucks and every road ingame and divide the road lenght by the lenght of a truck. Other possibility would be not as precise but it would give a kinda reliable number, just check out how long the CD road is, and divide the whole road lenght by it, then multiply by around 300. 

I know that you haven't expected any answer like that, however your question has got me curious to be honest :D And somehow I feel that my numbers are waaay to low.

W internecie nie ma ludzi starszych i młodszych,
W internecie są ludzie głupsi i mądrzejsi

Retired Team Member since 01.02.2020

WarMaz

On 1/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, WarMaz said:

Well.... so if we basically ignore the hardware limitations we should be able to have an infinite number of players because No Collision Zones :kappa:And being serious, I tried to calculate some basics. Calais and Duisburg usually have about 100 players, so let's use this number for the following calculations. We have 138 cities ingame so 100*138=13800. That would be some basic number for players in all cities. We have around 300 players on the CD road, so let's imagine we have another 100 roads of like the CD road, we have about 30000 players there. Adding these number we achive 43,8k players. Still, there are many smaller roads which I haven't counted, so I would go for about 100k players.

To get a reliable number it would require to measure the trucks and every road ingame and divide the road lenght by the lenght of a truck. Other possibility would be not as precise but it would give a kinda reliable number, just check out how long the CD road is, and divide the whole road lenght by it, then multiply by around 300. 

I know that you haven't expected any answer like that, however your question has got me curious to be honest :D And somehow I feel that my numbers are waaay to low.

Interesting. Of course trying to work it out would depend on whether people had trailers or not, whether they were driving cars of trucks - and of course the one question that no one really seems to know - how many (kilo)metres long is the ETS2 map? And how many lanes are there is the game on average? And even still, there is no easy way at all of working out the distribution between DLC and non-DLC areas at any given time! Again, I'm not expecting any answers to this question, although I imagine that it's quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There,

I'm moving your topic to the Archive section because your topic inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). Because every day a lot of new topics are opening up and now the community wants to discuss a new discussion, so we archive the topic that are inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). We apply these procedures to keep the forum meticulously and actively in this way.

If you have any question, don't be afraid to PM me :=)

// Locked and moved to Archive.

Y6JLoj.png.1482f0bf87625eca4c05028e655c74c1.png

Archived