Computers are making books obsolete?

Slow1357

I think this topic is really debateable and many people believe that computers are better than books and vice versa. I do agree that computers are making books obsolete. It was a pleasure to read books in leisure time. In the past, these moments brought immense joy and pleasure to them. In olden days, people who had gained knowledge through books were known as the wisest members of the society and they were highly respected by the community.

After the invention of the printing press, books were easily available, throughout the world, and everyone gained a vast amount of knowledge through them. The books are accurate and are highly detailed, and we should always remember that there are no alternatives to books. By selling books profit is made to author, publisher, sellers and to the people working in the printing press. One more important thing is that they can be carried everywhere and can be read in free time, or those who are traveling and has nothing to do. Books do not cause harm such as back, neck pain as people can read them in any posture, and books do not emit rays like computers.

Well, on the other hand, computers themselves have many benefits which can not be denied. Computers are undeniable devices, which reduce human effort. With a single click, we can enter a new world which is full of knowledge and has a lot of information. We can surf different websites, in order to find the answer to our questions. With a single click, we can get instant information hence saving our precious time which can be spent on doing something else. Everything has its pros and cons and we cannot deny the fact that computers have disadvantages as well. In order to use a computer, a specific position is required, which causes posture problems. Computers emit harmful rays which cause damage too eye and the body. Young people are always found stuck in front of the screen of the computer, which results in obesity and they have forgotten that books are the ones which teach and have made man capable to make computers and use it without any problem.

As the days are passing by the numbers of book readers are also declining at a rapid speed. In the end, we should not forget that books have their own charm and have made a man who he is today.

I want to hear your opinion about this topic as well. 

76561198178929243.png

Full-Stack Web Developer

Hm.  I can Count on one hand the number of physical books i have read in my adult Life - But with the introduction and availibility of AudioBooks and E-books, i have read/listened to about 30 books in the last 3 years.

So, while i absolutely agree that books have its charm, its no different with Audiobooks or E-books rather than a physical book - When it comes to Reading i mean..

Sure, books have had a massive purpose in general for many many years, but you can't compare that to Google, and the internet in general.   

God i wish i had Google when i Went to school.

Jimmy 'Arradin ' Stigsjöö

TruckersMP

se.gif - gb.gif

Facebook - Twitch - Youtube - Steam

" One Minute in Heaven "

^^ I can count on one hand the number of physical books I read in the last 5 years... Because I bought an e-reader, where I can store thousands of epub books using less space than a single physical one. But if we speak about my adult life... It must have been over a thousand. I was raised in a time where TV was still in black and white, there were only 2 channels to watch, no computers, no videogames... And my dad has always been an avid reader. There must be over 3000 books at my parents' so as a child/adolescent and well into my 20's, I had always something to read and I loved it.

Currently, there's the question of availability and convenience. There are still lots of options to get physical books, but a couple of clicks can get you the same title in EPUB, PDF, MOBI, etc. formats to read on your computer, e-book reader, tablet, mobile phone... Without even leaving your home, in just a couple of minutes and if one is a bit cheeky, without paying a dime... 

This is definitely a bit of a controversial topic. I personally still read books but I have plenty of friends that prefer audio books or even e-books over the original nature of a book. There's also the factor of how much time you have that day, if I'm practically free and have nothing to do - I might as well find a cozy spot and open up a book to read. But if I'm multi-tasking or have work to do, listening to an audio book would be in my favor.

This topic can be related with writing/typing. There have been studies that show writing something down in person helps you remember it more compared to typing it over a keyboard. Although, typing it over a keyboard is much more efficient when considering factors such as: erasing a mistake, editing a sentence, etc. 

In my eyes, a mix of both can be quite beneficial. Having the traditional way along with the "new technology age" gives the best of both worlds! ^_^

12 hours ago, M6Gaming said:

This is definitely a bit of a controversial topic. I personally still read books but I have plenty of friends that prefer audio books or even e-books over the original nature of a book. There's also the factor of how much time you have that day, if I'm practically free and have nothing to do - I might as well find a cozy spot and open up a book to read. But if I'm multi-tasking or have work to do, listening to an audio book would be in my favor.

This topic can be related with writing/typing. There have been studies that show writing something down in person helps you remember it more compared to typing it over a keyboard. Although, typing it over a keyboard is much more efficient when considering factors such as: erasing a mistake, editing a sentence, etc. 

In my eyes, a mix of both can be quite beneficial. Having the traditional way along with the "new technology age" gives the best of both worlds! ^_^

You're right, usually I am using bus to go somewhere and I cannot read book because people disturbing me (most of the Turkish person hates books). In this times, I prefer audio book too!

76561198178929243.png

Full-Stack Web Developer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dopaa,

As your topic has now been inactive for 14 days, I will be archiving your topic. As our forums are a busy place, we archive topics that are inactive for 2 weeks to make sure that only the topics that people want to participate in remain on the forums.

If you have questions or wish for your topic to be unarchived please contact me here on the forums.

//Moved to Archive.

Archived