Ban Baiters

RichManSCTV

Hello I am not really sure where to put this topic but yesterday I encountered an issues that I feel can greatly impact the community if not addressed. 

I was taking a load from Dover to Duisburg and decided to take the hectic D-C road. Whilst I was driving ahead of me I noticed a large group of trucks that were stopping hard and blocking the road, and then when people went to pass them they would speed up and block them and try to cause them to crash, and in the chat say things like "REC BAN #### BAN" . Now what if they all send in a video of what looks like a person reckless passing and crashing , then the person gets banned? Yet they are baiting people into getting into crashes. I eventually passed them on the right in the grass when they were all just parked in the middle of the road, as I know they would try to block me on the wrong side of the road, and then one of them tried to pull in front of me into the grass to block me and I made it around yet they were already yelling in voice and in the text "BAN REC BAN"

It was around 5PM Eastern US time, so no admins were on. I think this is an issue that should be looked at. People that intentionally try to get others banned. I see people in the forms here brag about how many people that have got banned. I think that is disgusting and wrong. 

Should there be a new rule about Ban Baiting? I think people who ban bait should have their ability to report others revoked or even banned them self.

I got a blury, but a picture of the example 

Screenshot_92.jpg

If they stop for no reason in a lane of traffic, they violate the blocking rule and can get banned for it.

If they intentionally block people from safely overtaking, they violate the ramming rule.

etc. etc. All rules apply.

There is no rule specific for ban baiting. If you are sure that anyone is violating any existing rules, please send in a report and we will figure it out.

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

҉  PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF RECKLESS DRIVERS

SprinterFS.gif

Hello @RichManSCTV ,

If players are intentionally breaking the rules, you can use in-game report system by clicking on Tab, then click the player you want to report, then click on "Report player" and tick the rules they were breaking and let admins take a look at it and make right decision.

If you want to make sure that your report gets reviewed, submit a website report by clicking on the  following link: https://truckersmp.com/reports  and make sure you have enough evidence (video, screenshot) where can be clearly seen that they are breaking the in-game rules.

Best regards,
SalePro

37 minutes ago, SprinterFS said:

If they stop for no reason in a lane of traffic, they violate the blocking rule and can get banned for it.

If they intentionally block people from safely overtaking, they violate the ramming rule.

etc. etc. All rules apply.

There is no rule specific for ban baiting. If you are sure that anyone is violating any existing rules, please send in a report and we will figure it out.

I think there should be a specific rule about Ban Baiting . As I said, I have seen people bragging about how many people they get banned in a day ect. Baiting other users into getting banned should be in the rules

did you even read the post or just copy and paste that response? I have been playing for years I know how a report works, thats not even what I am talking about, but thanks for the response. @SalePro

The thing i don't understand in all of this what you have said, is why do you care about that they are telling you "rec" "ban" and similar things ? You know what the rules are and if you know that you didn't break any of them, you don't need to take their words seriously.

54 minutes ago, RichManSCTV said:

Whilst I was driving ahead of me I noticed a large group of trucks that were stopping hard and blocking the road, and then when people went to pass them they would speed up and block them and try to cause them to crash

54 minutes ago, RichManSCTV said:

I eventually passed them on the right in the grass when they were all just parked in the middle of the road, as I know they would try to block me on the wrong side of the road, and then one of them tried to pull in front of me into the grass to block me and I made it around

55 minutes ago, RichManSCTV said:

Yet they are baiting people into getting into crashes

I mean, i dont understand how they could possibly bait you to get ban ? No one can force you to break the rules unless you want to do it.

1 minute ago, SalePro said:

The thing i don't understand in all of this what you have said, is why do you care about that they are telling you "rec" "ban" and similar things ? You know what the rules are and if you know that you didn't break any of them, you don't need to take their words seriously.

I mean, i dont understand how they could possibly bait you to get ban ? No one can force you to break the rules unless you want to do it.

Imagine you are driving, and then the drivers in front of you stop and block the road, and then while they are blocking you see traffic is clear too pass, as you pass one of them that is parked up ahead starts coming at you then hits you head on and they all start saying BAN BAN REC BAN, then drive off and do the same thing to the next person and the next person and so on. Now they have a video they cut making to look like you passed reckless and hit someone yet they blocked the road, waited for you to pass then started to move. This is just 1 example of many. 

Think of insurance fraud. 

Another one is people who will go through a red light then wait when it  turns green and make it look like YOU went through the red light. Understand? Then they go and brag on the forms how they have banned hundreds of people. 

I agree, these type of players are a big problem. But if they upload their footage in an attempt to ban the people to overtake them, you could clearly see that they would be going an extremely slow speed on purpose, as well as when they would speed up, all by looking at their velocimeter on the dashboard. I hardly doubt anyone would be banned for this given these circumstances.

v1.png 

Hello,

I'm going to put in my thoughts and see if I can help address your concerns.

What you're describing is possible and I'm sure it has happened in the history of TruckersMP before. One way to counter this is simple, if you see someone driving recklessly and purposefully putting other drivers at risk -- you be the good Samaritan and file a report over the website with recorded evidence. A couple people have already provided the appropriate links above and I'm positive you're aware of the reporting system being a member since 2014. The reasoning for this is simple: It allows the game moderator/administrator to view and analyze the violation in more duration or content which helps void the edit or cropped out part and answers the question of, "Why did this driver do such and such?."

Another counter is the appeals system: both sides of the story matter so if the banned member feels the ban is incorrect or if they were "framed", they are free to respond with an appeal and this will catch the attention of staff to further investigate what went down.

*Side note: Recorded video evidence is different than a picture(s). Within the rules, it clearly states, "Blocking, Ramming and Wrong way reports should have video evidence. Screenshots do not usually show the full story or the extent of the issue."

7 hours ago, RichManSCTV said:

Imagine you are driving, and then the drivers in front of you stop and block the road, and then while they are blocking you see traffic is clear too pass, as you pass one of them that is parked up ahead starts coming at you then hits you head on and they all start saying BAN BAN REC BAN, then drive off and do the same thing to the next person and the next person and so on. Now they have a video they cut making to look like you passed reckless and hit someone yet they blocked the road, waited for you to pass then started to move. This is just 1 example of many. 

Two wrongs don't make a right. Here's a more simple scenario: If a driver rams the side of your truck while overtaking, that can be seen as a violation. However, it doesn't allow you to go out of your way to ram them back, that can be seen as violating the same rule they did. In other words, just because someone else is violating the rules - doesn't mean you are allowed to violate them too. Be the bigger person in the situation!

Briefly covering this:

7 hours ago, RichManSCTV said:

I think there should be a specific rule about Ban Baiting . As I said, I have seen people bragging about how many people they get banned in a day ect. Baiting other users into getting banned should be in the rules

There is no correlation between people who "brag" about their reports and people who "bait" others in order to create such reports. It is a simple matter of taking the initiative to upload and file a report of a violation you've come across.

Reports are bound to be declined if there is insufficient details/information and the truth always finds it's way out at the end so be honest with yourself and others at all times. Karma always finds a way to bite you back!

Hopefully this helps provide some relief,

M6Gaming

9 hours ago, RichManSCTV said:

Imagine you are driving and then the drivers in front of you stop and block the road. Now, imagine that you just stop because the road is blocked and start recording video. Just give it some time and you'll have enough evidence to report for blocking. And no risk of being reported/banned yourself because you did nothing wrong. Baiting is a problem for fish and other fauna, humans should be smarter.

Now, 2 possible flaws to my argument:

"What if I can't record video?" - Then you should never drive on that road, for starters. Video recording ability is the best insurance against these trolls (I'd say it's the only insurance).

"But I have to be stopped until they move? What if they stay there too long?" - You can wait patiently or disconnect, drive away from the blockade and then connect again. Overtaking on that road in heavy traffic conditions is against the rules, if you decide to risk it, then you have to be ready to face the consequences. "But there was no one coming on the other lane!" - Not at that moment. But as you said, "drivers" in front of you, meaning that you'd need to overtake a bunch of trucks with their trailers, starting from a stopped position, which takes a lot of time and on that road, you never have a lot of time because most of the oncoming traffic will be overspeeding. It's just common sense in the end.

12 hours ago, Dziada said:

You get annoyed at people like this?

So why are you there? Just don't go anywhere near there.

Of course he gets annoyed. I would get annoyed too. In that situation, as he said, he could be possibly banned if they'd cut the video just right and at the same time there is no one to help him in that situation. You're saying it like he's done something wrong....

While I sympathise with the OP, my view is there is absolutely no reason to even be on the c-d road unless you want to be among the chaos. Theres loads of other areas you can be on, or alternative routes if you really must go from C-D. 

If you play among the wolves, you're going to get bitten.

Thinking outloud but I may have a solution to the trolls and its a bit radical and a bit reverse psychology which will have everyone screaming that im mad. If youre a troll - where do you go? one easy answer C-D road. Why? to annoy people, try ban baiting like the OP is having issues with etc etc.....But what if there wasnt a C-D road?

My idea is simply don't moderate that road. Let it be a free for all. Theres no risk of bans, it will be rammed full with trolls and be total carnage for a while and eventually all the serious players will go to alternative routes meaning theres no bait for the trolls. Everyone will disperse to the wider areas making them a bit busier. With less of a target area, the trolls impact will be reduced and likely get fed up and move on. Maybe its wishful thinking and likely be met with cries that im a lunatic for suggesting it but has it ever been tried before?

While I imagine the odds of people trying to bait players into getting banned are low, I still have to agree with the other people commenting.  Unless you are able to record your drives and prove that you're not doing anything wrong, you should avoid the C-D area.  Going into Western Germany and Eastern France is often just asking for trouble from other players and it's always good to try and protect yourself or avoid those areas if you can't.

17 hours ago, [Solar] D4NNY said:

I suppose it would be rather hard for admins to prove if you are ban baiting or not but you could always suggest that tmp adds a rule like that if you want

Thank you for a genuine response. Yeah you are right, and that is the whole point. Its hard to tell , but it happens and sucks

On 1/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, RichManSCTV said:

and then when people went to pass them they would speed up and block them and try to cause them to crash

As SprinterFS already said, that's reckless driving / intentional blocking and is definitively bannable. Just report them and don't bother any more.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:08 AM, M6Gaming said:

Another counter is the appeals system: both sides of the story matter

Specificly talking about baiting / normal traffic incidents.

Not applicable to hacking or similar incidents.

And from my experience also not applicable to most incidents where people broke the rules intentionally.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:08 AM, M6Gaming said:

Another counter is the appeals system: both sides of the story matter so if the banned member feels the ban is incorrect or if they were "framed", they are free to respond with an appeal and this will catch the attention of staff to further investigate what went down.

If the (counter-)evidence in the appeal proves otherwise, it can also lead to a ban on the original reporters site, if your evidence is strong nough

On 1/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, RichManSCTV said:

as I know they would try to block me on the wrong side of the road, and then one of them tried to pull in front of me into the grass to block me and I made it around yet they were already yelling in voice and in the text "BAN REC BAN"

Could be trolling and therefore a harsh ban should be applied

On 1/16/2019 at 8:11 PM, Baratako said:

I agree, these type of players are a big problem. But if they upload their footage in an attempt to ban the people to overtake them, you could clearly see that they would be going an extremely slow speed on purpose,

Could coun't towards falsified/abused evidence/report which can result in a ban ingame and from the reporting system.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:35 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

Now, 2 possible flaws to my argument:

"What if I can't record video?"

To add to this:

Basicly every computer that meets the minimum Specs of the game (ETS2/ATS) can run recording software as well in the background.

Last but not least my opinipon:

Baiting is already covered by other rules (most specificly by the trolling rule) and therefore no other rule needs to be added,

however TMP would benefit if there was such a rule which would be punishable similar to Hacking (=permanent ban).

TMP does not need rec-rep-ban baiters

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

1 hour ago, RayRay5 said:

however TMP would benefit if there was such a rule which would be punishable similar to Hacking (=permanent ban).

TMP does not need rec-rep-ban baiters

That is my exact point! People think its some sort of thing to brag about how many people they ban, I wont name names, but I saw them in game and they were just seeking for people to try to get banned. If you only come here to just try to ban others than why are you even here? Truck and have fun!

Slowing down and intentionally forcing people into oncoming traffic is usually classed under §2.3 (Blocking).

If there is sufficient evidence that people are doing it intentionally to 'bait' people into overtaking, then action will be taken.

But, unfortunately, the lack of suffice evidence in these cases makes it exceptionally hard for it to be punishable should it be its own rule.

I do agree, however, something needs to be chased up regarding this blatant and quite frank abuse of the report system.

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

6 minutes ago, Mirrland said:

I do agree, however, something needs to be chased up regarding this blatant and quite frank abuse of the report system.

@Mirrland I feel it will be a hard thing to route out but maybe have some or train staff members to be suspicious of people who mass reports and look at the reports a lot more thoroughly. I appreciate all the staff do!

Archived