Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Best monitors for immersive trucking?

VodkaBrother

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum so sorry for my inexperience.

I currently have an AOC G2460PF 144Hz 1ms 24" gaming monitor. This is my only monitor (I used to have multiple but lost desk space so sold them) and I'm looking to replace it early 2019. 

What monitors do you guys have and how immersed do you feel in your trucking? I know ultrawides are fun to truck on as I've used a 29" Asus ultrawide to play before, the only place it lacked was it's 60Hz refresh rate.

Any recommendations for me? I'm looking to go bigger (27"/32" or 34") without sacrificing my 144Hz refresh rate.

Cheers,

Hrdee.

It's going to be hard pushing out so many pixels at once with a big screen resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate without having to upgrade your system specs.  I have a 27-inch Dell S2716DG with 1440p at 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time with G-Sync to complement my GTX970 and i find that to be decent immersion for me... of course it depends on the person's taste.

The main things that i recommend are sticking sticking to a 1440p resolution with a 144Hz refresh rate -- those two are the holy grail of immersion.  Monitor size and dimensions can be whatever although if its too big, it might get a bit overwhelming for the eyes.  I have yet to try out an ultrawide or a curved ultrawide so i can't comment on those.

I use 2 "60Hz 1080p" monitors for gaming. My workstation has the Dell U3415W, the ultra wide curved screen designed for office use. That is a 1440p 60Hz. The refresh rate is horrible, so there goes your gaming performance. It is still very good for graphic works, cartography, and similar stuff that requires 3 windows opening on the same screen at once.

Basically there are 2 ways to go.

- If you have a lot of money, go for the widest screen that supports "144Hz 1ms". I can imagine it being a very immersive experience.

- A more budget friendly way is to just get one or two more G2460PF and build a multi monitor setup. Your monitor is not outdated for its specs, and you can run ETS2 on all screens by working with settings.

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

҉  PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF RECKLESS DRIVERS

SprinterFS.gif

1 hour ago, Knucklecurve said:

It's going to be hard pushing out so many pixels at once with a big screen resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate without having to upgrade your system specs. 

The main reason I'm looking for a new monitor is because I've got a 1070Ti and 1080p 144Hz isn't cutting it for me, I want more pixels!

4 minutes ago, SprinterFS said:

Basically there are 2 ways to go.

- If you have a lot of money, go for the widest screen that supports "144Hz 1ms". I can imagine it being a very immersive experience.

- A more budget friendly way is to just get one or two more G2460PF and build a multi monitor setup. Your monitor is not outdated for its specs, and you can run ETS2 on all screens by working with settings.

I have considered just getting two more of my current monitor and setting up a surround display but this monitor has pretty thick bezels and I'm lacking the desk space as my girlfriend's PC is on the same desk (and her ultrawide is taking up half of the total desk length).

I was looking at the Samsung 27" Quantum Dot 1440p 144Hz displays and possibly getting a couple of them as they don't seem too badly priced, issue I have with these is that they're Freesync. That said, my current monitor is Freesync also so I don't know what I'm even missing with G-Sync.

G-sync (and Freesync) is really more designed for first person shooter games, or people with extremely high requirement for their visual pleasure. I've seen the demo and personally there's no big difference (although noticeable) for slow paced games like ETS2.

Desks are also very cheap if you have room and need another one.

-- One banned troll means one sad troll. Conserve banning. The trolls will appreciate it.

SprinterFS.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered an ultrawide monitor at all? 21:9 really changes the experience in ETS2, you get a much wider FOV meaning you get a better view of the road and your surroundings.

I'd personally recommend any ultrawide with a 3440x1440 resolution, and at minimum, 34" wide, preferably curved too.

Seeing as you specified in your post that you want to maintain a high refresh rate, I'd recommend either the Acer Predator X34P or Dell Alienware AW3418DW, which both offer a refresh rate of 100Hz as standard and can overclock to 120Hz easily.

Dear Hrdee,

I'm moving your topic to the Archive section because your topic inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). Because every day a lot of new topics are opening up and now the community wants to discuss a new discussion, so we archive the topic that are inactive for 2 weeks(14 days). We apply these procedures to keep the forum meticulously and actively in this way.

If you have any question, don't be afraid to PM me :=)

// Locked and moved to Archive.

Y6JLoj.png.1482f0bf87625eca4c05028e655c74c1.png

• Matt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived