Should ban time be decreased ?

Bertholdt[NL-DE-FR-MA]

1 hour ago, trixicat said:

Its a difference if a player drives 8 hours a day or 3 hours per week. A player with 8 hours playtime is much more likely to accumulate bans.

I think it's the opposite personally.  A player that barely touches the game won't care if they get a ban as it won't really effect them, compared to a player that spends most of their time in the game they would (I imagine) want to avoid any punishments as playing ETS/ATS is their main source of entertainment.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheCreepyTruckr said:

I think it's the opposite personally.  A player that barely touches the game won't care if they get a ban as it won't really effect them, compared to a player that spends most of their time in the game they would (I imagine) want to avoid any punishments as playing ETS/ATS is their main source of entertainment.

maybe the example with 3 hours a week was a bit low, but imagine somebody that plays every day about 30mins - 1 hour after work to cooldown.  So both players have this game as a main source for entertainment. And some small accident can happen very quickly. Its like in real life, i dont think much people cause accidents on purpose, but accidents still do happen. 

@trixicat Accidents do happen and those are unfortunate however for a user that isn't often getting into trouble, their punishment won't be very long, probably just a couple days.  If you're having "accidents" repeatedly and pushing into the month+ bans, than I think there's a different issue and you need to re-evaluate your priorities in multiplayer.

(Just to clarify, I don't mean you specifically Trixicat, I just mean "you" as a general term)

8 hours ago, TheCreepyTruckr said:

@trixicat Accidents do happen and those are unfortunate however for a user that isn't often getting into trouble, their punishment won't be very long, probably just a couple days.  If you're having "accidents" repeatedly and pushing into the month+ bans, than I think there's a different issue and you need to re-evaluate your priorities in multiplayer.

(Just to clarify, I don't mean you specifically Trixicat, I just mean "you" as a general term)

I think there should be  (if not already?) a distinction between deliberate and accidental. Anyone deliberately causing upset to others needs to be removed from the game for whatever period is deemed suitable by the mods. However, those that have just been a victim of a silly mistake/accident shouldn’t be punished. No-ones perfect and to remove a 99% fair player from the game for a week because of a lapse of concentration isn’t really helping the game.

Yes rules are rules but theres a huge difference between those that are here to cause grief or regularly careless and those that have had a one off accident. I haven’t reported anyone for a long time as I wouldn’t want to get a good player banned for a simple slipup

@andy Suter,

out of curiosity:

how can you tell an incident that was caused on purpose from an incident that was caused by chance?

I am not referring to obvious situations like for example ghost drivers.
Even an apparently obvious reckless incident like ramming could turn out to be a failure of a control device.

And a tendency of a players (mis-)behaviour is hard to tell now that the punishment history of most players is hidden.

@Joao Rodrigues I believe that private histories are a good thing. If somebody got a ban for parking in EP, then why should they not hide it? Everyone can change. Also, failure of a control device, that is unfortunately still your fault as you can't really prove that. And it does say in the rules after all, you are responsible for your own account. :thinking:

To answer the question of the title, I think bans are perfect the way they are.
I personally have not got banned but I probably don't play 24/7 to get caught up in accidents. In most cases tho, people get into trouble by driving recklessly in which whatever happens from that point is your responsibility as a driver to be aware of what you were doing.

I don't expect everyone to be perfect as some say accidents do happen and not all of them are terrible but it's no doubt unfair and unhelpful of we make the punishment system any lighter than it already is for the people out there who drive like they don't even know the basic laws of driving.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:00 AM, TheCreepyTruckr said:

I don't play MP that much and I care to make sure I don't get banned by driving like I would irl o: (Plus I always drive C-D road.)

4 hours ago, andy Suter said:

I think there should be  (if not already?) a distinction between deliberate and accidental. Anyone deliberately causing upset to others needs to be removed from the game for whatever period is deemed suitable by the mods. However, those that have just been a victim of a silly mistake/accident shouldn’t be punished. No-ones perfect and to remove a 99% fair player from the game for a week because of a lapse of concentration isn’t really helping the game.

Yes rules are rules but theres a huge difference between those that are here to cause grief or regularly careless and those that have had a one off accident. I haven’t reported anyone for a long time as I wouldn’t want to get a good player banned for a simple slipup

I doubt the mods are banning players over low-speed minor collisions, and even if they were I have no problem with it.  ETS/ATS and TMP rules dictate following all road laws of the respective countries.  Police and Insurance companies don't let people get a pass just because a collision was an "accident".  If I lose focus on the game and rear-end someone, I still caused a collision and should face a punishment (I've even offered my recordings to other players if they wish to report me; I actually made an in-game friend that way. :D). 

I like to drink while I play and I sometimes just drive using the keyboard if I don't feel like hooking up my wheel or controller, If my drunk keyboard using ass can drive safely without hitting others, so can other players.  Let's make this clear, no one has an entitlement to use TMP (with the exception of the creators), so I really don't care if some kid wants to cry "sorry" in chat because he doesn't know how to drive.  Single player exists, they can practice and figure out how to drive safely or they're free to go to empty areas of the map where they won't be a risk to players.

15 hours ago, Dziada said:

@Joao Rodrigues I believe that private histories are a good thing. If somebody got a ban for parking in EP, then why should they not hide it? Everyone can change. Also, failure of a control device, that is unfortunately still your fault as you can't really prove that. And it does say in the rules after all, you are responsible for your own account. :thinking:

@Dziada,

I do not question the responsibility of a players action, be it recklessly or carelessly.
@andy Suter comment however raises the question by which indicators one can distinguish the reckless player from the careless player.

Both of you argue that people are not perfect and that people can change.
Against this background I am interested in how one can find out that a player has actually changed his/ her behavior.

18 minutes ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

@Dziada,

I do not question the responsibility of a players action, be it recklessly or carelessly.
@andy Suter comment however raises the question by which indicators one can distinguish the reckless player from the careless player.

Both of you argue that people are not perfect and that people can change.
Against this background I am interested in how one can find out that a player has actually changed his/ her behavior.

Its easy..... for eg...Someone that approaches you at high speed around a corner and slams into you is clearly reckless. Whereas a low speed bump where you can see the person trying to correct and avoid before the incident, is clearly an 'oops, sorry' moment. Another one.... flying past at high speed before cutting in front of you, braking hard as they have just realised they have missed a turn, before attempting to turn, leading you to run into the back of them. That's reckless. 

I could go on but we have all had instances where we can tell the other driver is a total idiot or if its just a simple 'sorry I misjudged that' moment.

I see references to police in real life punishing people for mistakes. This is in fact incorrect. You only get 'punished' if its serious enough or you have been dangerous or reckless. Many simple accidents go unpunished

People choose to go at dangerous high speed around corners etc, they choose to take the risk of causing a accident and doing wreck less driving.

Me on the other hand i CHOOSE To stick to the speed limit and remain safe especially  on the calais duisburg road.

In my opinion people speeding round bends and doing more than 100kmh on the Calais duisburg road and wreckless driving

That is being wreckless not careless 

Think of it this way, if you CHOOSE to get up in the morning play truckersmp and do a ridiculous speed on roads such as C-D

Then truckersmp isnt the place for you

End of the day there a large percentage of the community who do CHOOSE to stick to the speed limit and who are safe and good drivers

But unfortunately there a percentage that dont which ruins it for us drivers who CHOOSE to drive properly and safely.

By reducing bans this wont help the issue at all but make it worse as there will be more of them on the road causing chaos 

21 hours ago, andy Suter said:

Its easy..... for eg...Someone that approaches you at high speed around a corner and slams into you is clearly reckless. Whereas a low speed bump where you can see the person trying to correct and avoid before the incident, is clearly an 'oops, sorry' moment. Another one.... flying past at high speed before cutting in front of you, braking hard as they have just realised they have missed a turn, before attempting to turn, leading you to run into the back of them. That's reckless. 

I could go on but we have all had instances where we can tell the other driver is a total idiot or if its just a simple 'sorry I misjudged that' moment.

I see references to police in real life punishing people for mistakes. This is in fact incorrect. You only get 'punished' if its serious enough or you have been dangerous or reckless. Many simple accidents go unpunished

It is not as simple as that.

1. A players vehicle approaches at excessive speed around a corner and collides with another vehicle.
    Reckless or careless? You said reckless.
    In the light of a failed control device however, the perpetrator is literally left with nothing on his/her hands to avoid a collision. And that stays true independent of his/ her  speed.
    The misleading part in this case is the speed.
    Excessive speed as such is (to my surprise) not a violation of the rules. I would argue that excessive speed falls under §2.5 - Reckless Driving, as it must be "considered as unsafe" and "puts other people in danger". Unfortunately, the already reduced maximum speed limit of 150 kph is IMHO still way too high for most of the roads.

2. A players vehicle approaches at low speed and despite his/ her attempts of evasive manoeuvres collides with another vehicle.
    Reckless or careless? You said careless.
    I agree for most of such rear-impact crash scenarios, unless the perpetrator violated the minimum safety distance or has attracted negative attention already before (tailgating, honking, etc.).

3. Inappropriate overtaking manoeuvre, causing a collision (that is how I call such incidents in my web reports) AKA "flying past at high speed before cutting in front of you, braking hard as they have just realised they have missed a turn, before attempting to turn, leading you to run into the back of them".
    I could not agree more that such behavior obviously falls under reckless driving, as the perpetrator willingly accepts the possibility of causing damage and harm to himself/ herself and other road traffic participants.

I finish with the appeal that as no incident is like another, each must be evaluated independent and very carefully before a conclusion is drawn.

Drive safely!

2 minutes ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

It is not as simple as that.

1. A players vehicle approaches at excessive speed around a corner and collides with another vehicle.
    In the light of a failed control device however, the perpetrator is literally left with nothing on his/her hands to avoid a collision. And that stays true independent of his/ her  speed.
    The misleading part in this case is the speed.
    Excessive speed as such is (to my surprise) not a violation of the rules. I would argue that excessive speed falls under §2.5 - Reckless Driving, as it must be "considered as unsafe" and "puts other people in danger". Unfortunately, the already reduced maximum speed limit of 150 kph is IMHO still way too high for most of the roads.

2. A players vehicle approaches at low speed and despite his/ her attempts of evasive manoeuvres collides with another vehicle.
    Reckless or careless? You said careless.
    I agree for most of such rear-impact crash scenarios, unless the perpetrator violated the minimum safety distance or has attracted negative attention already before (tailgating, honking, etc.).

3. Inappropriate overtaking manoeuvre, causing a collision (that is how I call such incidents in my web reports) AKA "flying past at high speed before cutting in front of you, braking hard as they have just realised they have missed a turn, before attempting to turn, leading you to run into the back of them".
    I could not agree more that such behavior obviously falls under reckless driving, as the perpetrator willingly accepts the possibility of causing damage and harm to himself/ herself and other road traffic participants.

I finish with the appeal that as no incident is like another, each must be evaluated independent and very carefully before a conclusion is drawn.

Drive safely!

Good reply but am I missing something. You responded with 'its not as simple as that' and then agreed with every point I made. Surely that demonstrates we can pick out what is an accident and what is a result of just being an idiot?

I agree with your closing point about it no incident is like another and each should be judged. My main worry is with those that shout 'an accident is an accident and all should be banned irrespective of deliberate or not' while running around with pitchforks in hand.... I wouldnt want blanket bans  applied to drivers that just made a silly mistake and it wasn't intentional. It would be a shame if these drivers were prevented from playing for a week or so. I fully support getting rid of the trolls and those that treat it like a racing game. Im sure the mods take all this into account.

there are something that could do with being changed & some that don't need to be I think the in game system could do with a change I think if it could be done player who are not in ncz part are kicked sooner then player who are in ncz parts this way a player blocking the road is kicked faster & the traffic gets to move faster as it is now it takes to long if player where kicked sooner in no ncz parts it would make it better for the player & the game moderators for ban times being changed I think they are ok as they are 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Dziada said:

@Joao Rodrigues Also, failure of a control device, that is unfortunately still your fault as you can't really prove that. :thinking:

Say what.... This is nearly impossible to happen to everyone, almost rare to encounter during gameplay (like your keyboard dying midway in high traffic area).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 2/3/2019 at 2:29 AM, Zakxaev68 said:

Say what.... This is nearly impossible to happen to everyone, almost rare to encounter during gameplay (like your keyboard dying midway in high traffic area).

My controller and wheel both have cords that can be disconnected with a slight tug.  My two kittens and puppy both enjoy trying to play with them and have unplugged them on numerous occasions (Normally I notice and pull over before they become an issue).  So it's not unreasonable for a control device to disconnect, especially if it's wireless and running off batteries.  

Archived