Realistic simulation time calculations

Interstate Nomad

Hello Truckers,

for those of you interested in a more realistic approach of driving, I made some calculations regarding the time needed to drive a specific distance considering EU requirements and laws.

Sources and requirements:

Driving times and rest periods of the EU:
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/road/social_provisions/driving_time_en

Place of departure: Rotterdam, Netherlands
Place of arrival: Messina, Italy
Route length: 2.200 km
Average velocity: 70 kph

Minimum daily resting period: 11 h
Maximum daily driving period: 9 h
Breaks of at least 45 minutes every 4.5 h

Calculations

1. Total theoretical driving time

2.200 km / 70 kph = 31,43 h or 1d  7h  25m

As we are not allowed to stay behind the steering wheel without breaks and rests, we have to consider in our calculation that:
- we are required to rest 11 hours per day (24 h),
- we are only allowed to drive maximum 9 hours per day (24 hours), and that
- we have to take a break of a least 45 minutes (0.75 h) each 4.5 h.

2. Total corrected theoretical driving time

4.5 h (driving) + 0.75 h (break) + 4.5 h (driving) + 11 h (resting period) = 20.75 h.
Distance driven so far: 9 h * 70 kph = 630 km (1.570 km left to destination).

Again:
4.5 h (driving) + 0.75 h (break) + 4.5 h (driving) + 11 h (resting period) = 20.75 h (41.5 h on tour in total).
Distance driven so far: 9 h * 70 kph = 630 km (1.260 km driven in total, 940 km left to destination).

And again:
4.5 h (driving) + 0.75 h (break) + 4.5 h (driving) + 11 h (resting period) = 20.75 h (62.25 h on tour in total).
Distance driven so far: 9 h * 70 kph = 630 km (1.890 km driven in total, 310 km left to destination).

After another 4 h 25 m (310 km / 70 kph) we reach our destination Messina.

Total time on tour: 66.68 h or 2d 18h 40m.

In my next post, I will try to consider game time (vs real time) in my calculations.

I welcome your thoughts, comments, questions and corrections below.
Thank you! :)

Hello Truckers,

in this post we will shed some light on how game time relates to real time.
Why? Maybe you want to know if you can finish a job before your mom calls you for dinner.^_^
For that you need to know how much real time you will need for a certain distance in game.

As you will likely already know, game time runs faster than real time. This is caused by the fact that the whole map is scaled down (approximate scale of 1:20).

SINGLEPLAYER
In Singleplayer, the time ratio depends on where you are located.

According to the SCS forum thread "In-Game time to real time", there exist 3 different ratios, which are:

Cities, time ratio 3 to 1
3 game time units correspond to 1 real time unit, e.g. 3 game time hours = 1 real time hour

Outside cities in UK, time ratio 15 to 1
15 game time units correspond to 1 real time unit, e.g. 15 game time hours = to 1 real time hour

Outside cities in the rest of Europe, time ratio 19 to 1
19 game time units correspond to 1 real time unit, e.g. 19 game time hours = 1 real time hour

For now, we leave the Singleplayer time ratios aside and focus on Multiplayer.

MULTIPLAYER (YAY!)
In Multiplayer the time ratio seems to be 6 to 1, independent from our location (outside cities and cities have the same time ratio).
6 game time units correspond to 1 real time unit, e.g. 6 game time hours = 1 real time hour

That simplifies our calculations, as we only have to bother with one time ratio.

Calculations
In my first post, I calculated the total corrected theoretical driving time from Rotterdam (Netherlands) to Messina (Italy) with 2 days, 18 hours and 40 minutes.
All we have to do now is to convert this time into hours and devide it by the time ratio of 6.

2 days = 24 hours x 2 = 48 hours
18 hours (stays in hours)
40 minutes / 60 = 0.67 hours

48 hours + 18 hours + 0.67 hours = 66.67 hours

66.67 hours / 6 = 11.11 hours or 11 hours 7 minutes.

Wow! That seems to be a long time, does it not? Looks like you will rather have breakfast instead of dinner with your mom. :lol:
Do not forget however that this time also includes our break and rest time as well.
Maybe you could have dinner during one of your required rest periods of 11 hours?

11 hours / 6 = 1.83 hours or 1 hour and 50 minutes

That should give you more than enough time to not only have dinner but maybe also set the table before? ;)

Again, I welcome your thoughts, comments, questions and corrections below.
Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear @Joao Rodrigues

Because this topic has been inactive for 14 days I am going to close this topic to keep the forums organised. Topics are started very frequently on the forums, so we need to make sure that the more active topics remain open for community.

If you have any question, don't be afraid to PM me :=)

// Locked and Moved to Archive.

Y6JLoj.png.1482f0bf87625eca4c05028e655c74c1.png

Archived