Hoping someone can help with a wine based TruckersMP

Question

Hey guys,

I know this is outside the general scope of support but wondering if anyone has this experience.  I'm trying to run Truckers MP through wine - there's a guy online who did it with Ubuntu 18 and it seems to be flawless.  Currently I'm running the latest Arch Linux distro but I seem to be running into a couple issues.

Before installing ATS and ETS2 I installed .NET 4.0 through winetricks, all went well.  Installed Steam through wine, then the games themselves.  Started both games and made a save file in each.  Installed the latest TruckersMP launcher, pointed it to the ATS and ETS2 directories, no issues.  When starting the launcher, this is where I run into problems - I've attached a screenshot of the error.  I can't really make sense of it, so hopefully somebody has experienced this before. 

Cheers :)

error.png

7 answers to this question

I am not entirely sure you'll manage to get TruckersMP to run under Wine. TMP does not offer support to Linux and though maybe it might be possible to run it, I highly doubt Wine will be able to handle it. I may be wrong but I think your issue there is that the launcher might be looking for file paths that are native to Windows. Not really the file path to the games but rather, some system files. Not too long ago I read something about someone who did manage to get TMP to work on Linux, though I don't remember who it was. Have you tried googling it? I think you might have some luck there.

@Soul Knight he's asking for assistance with something on Linux, not Windows.

• Upvote 1

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

9 hours ago, Mike Dragon said:

I am not entirely sure you'll manage to get TruckersMP to run under Wine. TMP does not offer support to Linux and though maybe it might be possible to run it, I highly doubt Wine will be able to handle it. I may be wrong but I think your issue there is that the launcher might be looking for file paths that are native to Windows. Not really the file path to the games but rather, some system files. Not too long ago I read something about someone who did manage to get TMP to work on Linux, though I don't remember who it was. Have you tried googling it? I think you might have some luck there.

Yeah dude the past few days have been googling this before I got here, even this error specifically.  For reference, https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4207735885&feature=iv&src_vid=vqjeP1bA0Ms&v=iLUIz6EPIxc this is the video I got the idea from -- it seems to work smoothly for this guy, and I did it essentially the same way, with the exception of myself running Arch Linux.  But the wine bottle should be the same, with the same system files, hierarchy, etc., so not too sure what to do next.

Looking at that video, it was made before the launcher, If I remember correctly back then you were still given two installations (One for ETS and one for ATS) hence why he launches using launcher_ets.exe. I'd assume it has something to do with the new launcher, to be completely honest you'd probably have more luck at finding out the direct cause of the issue on the WineHQ forums. 

Also to answer your question about lutris, It won't help you in this situation but it will make your life a hell of a lot easier for certain games, I just thought I'd mention it in my previous post in case you were new to games on Linux.

2 hours ago, Kubuntu said:

Looking at that video, it was made before the launcher, If I remember correctly back then you were still given two installations (One for ETS and one for ATS) hence why he launches using launcher_ets.exe. I'd assume it has something to do with the new launcher, to be completely honest you'd probably have more luck at finding out the direct cause of the issue on the WineHQ forums. 

Also to answer your question about lutris, It won't help you in this situation but it will make your life a hell of a lot easier for certain games, I just thought I'd mention it in my previous post in case you were new to games on Linux.

Good call, that's probably right.  I'll see what I can figure out over there.  

Hello there @silencecallsthephobophile

Because this post has been inactive for over 3 days i will be locking and moving it to inactive.

If you require more help you can always message me or another support member.

Have a nice day!

//locked and moved to inactive

<--> | English / Dutch | <-->

< Need help with anything? >

< Someone broke the rules? >

< Got banned unfairly? >